• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago vs Madrid for last day and Pilgrims Mass

cswords

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2019
Hello, I arrive in Santiago on Friday May 24th in the afternoon and leave home from Madrid on Sunday May 26th in morning. I have a couple of options on how to spend the last days in Spain. My original plans didn't work due to renovations at Cathedral.

Question really comes down to 1) should I spend a second day in Santiago, or Madrid? With the Cathedral closed, it is better to attend Pilgrim mass at Iglesia de Santa Maria Salome or regular mass at Iglesia de San Francisco?

Option 1
Friday - arrive Santiago, sightseeing/overnight in Santiago, attend regular (not pilgrim) mass at Iglesia de San Francisco 7pm.
Saturday - fly to Madrid early Saturday (7am), sight seeing in Madrid
Sunday - fly home early AM

Option 2
Friday - arrive Santiago, sightseeing/overnight in Santiago
Saturday - sightseeing in Santiago all day, attend pilgrims mass at noon at Iglesia de Santa María Salomé, fly to Madrid late Saturday (10pm)
Sunday - fly home early AM

Any advice/guidance much appreciated!!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Personally, I LOVE Santiago far more than Madrid. I vote for Option 2.

There is the option of a 19:00 Mass on Friday evening at Santa Maria Salome on Rua Nova. You could make this change and have more time to wander on Saturday.

Here is the Cathedral web page all about the temporary transfer of Masses during the renovations.

Hope this helps.

I think it depends on you and what you enjoy. I don't enjoy big cities much, but I did stay in Madrid an extra day and go to the Prado on my last visit. My husband, Phil, spent 4 weeks in Santiago going to language school and loved being a part of the vibe. He watched pilgrims arrive each day from his apartment window and enjoyed going to the Plaza to see pilgrims arrive at the cathedral. He also found many interesting cultural things to do in Santiago such as museums and exhibits. I think only you can decide what is right, but there are many interesting things to see and do in both cities.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Welcome to the Forum, @cswords!

I'd vote for option 2. That way you have margin in case you don't arrive in Santiago when you hope to on Friday, and you can still hang out with any Camino friends who will also be in town on Saturday. To give yourself time and space to enjoy Santiago after so many days of walking there will probably be valuable. And leaving on Saturday at 10pm, instead of rushing to Madrid sometime on Sunday, seems like a good plan.

Right now the sun is setting in Santiago at 9:30pm, and at the end of May it will be closer to 10pm. Catching a sunset flight out of SCQ will be pretty nice!

Buen Camino and enjoy all the planning.
Faith

Thank you all, Option 2 is it - looking forward to exploring the city after many days walking!

What does everyone think about attending Pilgrim mass (only offered at Iglesia de Santa Maria Salome on Saturday noon), or regular mass instead (various churches/times).

Not sure what the difference is with "pilgrim" mass and if I should work our schedule around attending that one, versus regular mass...

Pilgrim's mass usually includes a blessing and a reading out of the Nationalities who arrived in the preceeding 24 hours and from where they started.

I confess to a certain giddiness when they read out una peregrina Canadienses de Somport.

I think I attended 4 services my last time. And I have little Spanish.

There is quite a lot of fun reuniting with pilgrims you haven't seen in a while.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would plan on spending the time in Santiago. You might spend some time with people that you walked with or you might just explore the city, attend mass, and reflect on your Camino. Either way, it's a special feeling. Madrid is a fine city, but it will still be there next time you visit Spain.

Wow, you all are fantastic! I feel kinship to you all already.. and I don't know you nor have I even started on my journey :) I will spend my last day of El Camino in Santiago, and attend Pilgrims Mass on Saturday at noon. Thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Spend some time in Santiago... You WILL be back... Madrid is just another large city that is a national capital. At the end of the day, it is just a city.

But Santiago... ah, Santiago is one of the special cities of the world. Like Jerusalem and Rome, it is the third most popular pilgrimage site among Christians. Other 'holy' places like Lourdes, Fatima, and Medjugorje trail somewhat...

But, and IMHO, Santiago is different. The street paving and the walls of very old buildings retain a 'vibe' from the millions of pilgrims who have come before you. At most all hours of the day, but especially in the very early morning and late at night, there is just something magical about Santiago. If you are very silent, you can feel the history...

The added fact that you can make new friends almost anywhere nust by announcing that you are a fellow pilgrim from 'x' is sometimes all it takes...

Most read last week in this forum

Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Hey I’m looking at starting my Camino from Burgos in about 2-3 days. I’m wanting to use casa ivar storage. Has anyone used this service before? It sounds very good the webpage is just a little...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back