• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sant'Iago who??

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
St. James miraculously appeared and guided the conquistadores to victory, to the cry of "A por Santiago

Its amazing how Jacob the fisherman evolved into the archetypal hero of Western culture. From Sant’ Iago Matamoros to Sant’ Iago Mataespañois to Sant’ Iago Mataindios – everyone wanted him as their hero!
In Mexico City there is a carving from the altarpiece of the Church of Santiago Tlatelolco showing him as Santiago Mataindios - the Indian-slayer.
And although Christianity and the Catholic religion were taken to the Americas by the Spaniards and when Mexico fought to obtain its independence from Spain in 1810, it used as its flag the image of Our Lady of Guadalupe and Sant’ Iago was exalted as Santiago Mataespañois - the slayer of Spaniards!!

There is a mid-19thC silver statue of Santiago Mataespañois in the Museum of Pilgrimages in Santiago de Compostela.

http://www.aug.edu/augusta/iconography/ ... tiago.html

and another one – scroll down to under Ano 1998 - (as well as pictures of items from the museum) here:

http://www.mdperegrinacions.com/paxinas/historia.html

You can see the altarpiece of Santiago Mataindios here (click on the photo to enlarge it)

http://instructional1.calstatela.edu/be ... 00004.html

You can see paintings of Santiago Matamoros and Mataindios together here:

http://www.huancainos.com/literatura/babelandes.htm

In Peru, during an indigenous uprising in 19th-century they adopted Santiago as their champion, using the "Matamoros" iconography of “Santiago Mataespañois” that in Peru had come to be associated with a pre-Columbian deity who drove out evil forces.
Some of Peru’s most interesting (and most frequent) festivals are found in the Mantaro Valley. During the Festival de Apóstol Santiago on July 25, villagers throughout the Mantaro Valley brand their livestock amid much dancing and drinking of chicha, or fermented corn beer. Though Christian on the surface, this pre-Hispanic ritual invokes the protection of Andean deities.
[/quote]

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sil, it's very interesting to read up about how the name/symbol of Santiago has been used through the years for so many causes. Just a few days ago I heard a couple of new ones: "Santiago matarojos" & "Santiago matamasones," apparently used during the Spanish Civil War. What next? Best, xm 8)

Santiago matamasones??

Is that Santiago killer of Masons??

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
U got it, Sil!

I had never heard of either one of those two terms prior to a couple of days ago.

So, we can say that the symbol of Santiago has historically been utilized as killer of:

Moors,
Indians,
Spaniards,
Reds, and
Masons :!:

I believe that in oder to understand this, one has to place onself in the particular historic moment in which the term was used. It's pretty hard to comprehend an event that happened over five centuries ago from today's vantage point. Not impossible, just hard, takes documenting oneself. There's certainly plenty of lit/documentation on the subject.

Who knows, there may be other names coming.

I wonder if there are other religious figures that have been used in the same way?

BTW, if u like history u may enjoy reading, "Ines of my soul." It was up to recently number one bestseller in Spanish speaking countries, Spain included, of course.

Best, xm

Impressive Spanish links with great pics + Galician, English, & Spanish languages texts. Thanks, Sil. The subject of the Conquista of the New World, as those others that have to do with civilizations imposing themselves on others, is so complex. Even today, specifically on the Spanish Conquista, there r many pro/contra factors, factions, historic interpretations, and revisions. I just keep on reading, though the more I do the less I know :lol: Best. xm 8)

"Estos hermanos evangelistas y protestantes nos estan volviendo locos a todos, las comunidades campesinas estan siendo invadidas, nos persiguen para hablarnos y convencernos del fin del mundo, de la venida de cristos en revistas de colores, nos prohiben el licor y las fiestas, nos han hecho quemar los vestidos y los instrumentos hace decadas con el cuento del progreso y de las ONGs, ya nadie se acuerda de las canciones, nos estan confundiendo a nuestros hijos, dejennos en paz, ya hemos sufrido tanto para ser lo que somos, para creer en lo que creemos , que se vayan todos..." (Mariano, anciano poblador de Taucca, Pisac- 2002)

Santiago Matamasones - How the wheel turns.

Conspiracy Theory!!

"The Masons and Santiago"
Now, they say that the church of Santa Maria de Eunate might have been a Templar church? OK.
And, they say that the Freemasons are a left over of the Templars? Perhaps.
Those of you who have seen the church Santa Maria de Eunate might have noticed a connextion?
I'm talking about the Freemason signs carved into the walls.
Have a look here.

http://peregrinations.kenyon.edu/vol2-1 ... unate.html

And, there's another Freemason sign in a very prominent place on the camino. I'll give you a clue, it can also be found on the back of the $1 bill.

Not sure what it is? Have a look in the photo album. There is a picture of the symbol on the back of the $1 bill and the same symbol in Santiago.

(No prizes for finding the mystery symbol!)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My assumption [/b]is that, as mentioned, the term "Santiago matamasones," may have been used during the Spanish Civil War, 1936-1939, by the Franco regime, as well as "Santiago matarojos, " though I had never heard of it until recently. I asked my source for info and was told that there wasn't much available. I think what's happening is that this person is in the process of compiling info for the purpose of publishing.

As we know, all kinds of atrocities were comitted during that very dark period in Spanish history, in which two million people r believed to have died. Depending on who u may talk to, or what u read, one side was worst than the other; I believe both factions were similarly cruel. That's the way of war, perhaps more extreme in civil wars, if such a thing could be poss, the US and English Civil Wars may be good examples.

I also assume that the term may have been used by pro-Church parties, in Spain, and that the Masons may have suffered persecution, then.

I don't think that many people in Spain are aware of the (poss., to some people, definitely to others) link between the Templar Knights & the Freemasons.

Best,

xm 8)

Franco invoked St James as patron saint of Spain, on the side of Church and State against the enemies of Church and State: republicans, atheists, liberals, and anyone else he disagreed with. Hence 'matarojos' and, as he regarded Freemasons as enemies of the Church too, 'matamasones'. This was all part of what was known as nacionalcatolicismo, in which Franco assumed the mantle of the Catholic Monarchs, who founded the Spanish Inquisition to rid Spain of Protestants, Jews, Muslims, and anyone else they disagreed with. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nacionalcatolicismo though the Spanish page http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nacionalcatolicismo is much more informative.

This linking of Church and State in turn led to strong anticlericalism in his opponents on the political left, and in the immediate post-Franco years pilgrims were sometimes subjected to verbal abuse: pilgrim = Church = Franco = bad. As Spain has become more secular, the power of the Church has declined, and memories of the Franco years have faded, this anticlericalism has faded too, though the whole issue is still a sensitive one in some quarters. Spain has still not exorcised all these ghosts.

However, don't confuse (stone)masons with Freemasons. Freemasons use some symbolism from medieval masons, but medieval masons' marks have nothing to do with Freemasonry. See Alison Stones' excellent website on medieval architecture for some masons' marks in Chartres cathedral.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
...the Franco years...sensitive one in some quarters. Spain has still not exorcised all these ghosts.

So true. I'd say in MOST quarters...

However, don't confuse (stone)masons with Freemasons. Freemasons use some symbolism from medieval masons, but medieval masons' marks have nothing to do with Freemasonry...

Ah, I thought the ones were descendants of the other :? :!:

Architecture on the Pilgrimage Road - Eunate

IMAGES OF MEDIEVAL ART AND ARCHITECTURE
FRANCE: CHARTRES (CATHEDRAL OF NOTRE-DAME)

I've seen these signs at Chartres, Eunate, + other places along the Caminos, particularly the CF... Best, xm 8)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This is from the friend I had refered to previously:

"...e incluso matamasones, son anecdotas de la vida cotidiana aún un poco tabús. Me contaba ... del caso de un matalenins, al que al moro le esculpieron con gorro ruso y estrella de cinco puntas. Cosas de la España profunda y sin desenterrar".

Freemasons

Spoil sports!
I'm no Dan Brown but I thought I'd set you a little symbol hunt! Did you find the mystery symbol?

Sounds like this year we need a Santiago Matabedusbugus ..... or, more properly, Santiago MataCimexlectularius ?

well, yes, freemasons claim to inherit traditions of masonic guilds

Diff entities share the claim, as well as with the connection with the Templarios, some agree, others don't. Hmm... xm 8)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm no Dan Brown but...

I thought "Da Vinci Code" was a good story, I certainly didn't know a couple of things mentioned in it, but literature-wise it read to me more like a long newspaper article than "good" lit (whatever that may be). The movie was awful... Best, xm 8)

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back