• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago with a donkey

rupertbyng

I am planning the Camino from le Puy to Santiago next yearin two stages. Le Puy - St Jean May/June and St Jean - Santiago Sept/Oct.
I will be taking my two Jack Russell terriers, who have a few sins to atone for like their master.
The logistical problem is bringing enough dog food and water. 3 kilos of food every ten days plus 1 litre water daily. The answer seems to be a donkeyand I have already been training in leading a donkey.
One question is how fast will a donkey be led but more importantly I do not much like the idea of crossing Burgos or Leon in the traffic with two dogs and a donkey.
The upside is the donkey can handle 50 kilos of luggage, which would allow for a light weight tent etc when accomodation might not be available.

I know it is only June 2006 but May 2007 seems to rushing towards me

Rupert Byng

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I know this is well passed now and some means must have been found to sort the problems. :?:
Someone must have taken inspiration from you as this January a group of Spanish travelled the Via de la Plata with camels and donkeys but they had to send a car infront to organise accomodation. :lol:
Sue

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I wish we could hear how things turned out. Donkeys, as a rule, dislike dogs. I´d worry about the safety of the little dogs, even with a reliable "bomb-proof" donk.

Reb.

Dogs on the Camino: A Moral Dilemma?

A recent post about donkeys and dogs has made me ponder, and not for the first time, about the fairness of taking your pooch on the Camino. Dogs like to walk, true, but little dogs have little legs and a journey encompassing 25 ks a day might be a little bit too much to ask of "Man's Best Friend". :( If you have a working dog like a Border Collie, a Shepherd or a Husky, they might love you for it, but a smaller dog? I know Jack Russells have a big dog attitude, but they have little legs.
There might be a good reason why little old ladies carry their Yorkshire Terriers!
Just a thought...
Tracy Saunders
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot.com

I encountered a man along the Camino with a donkey. It was so sad. There were bleeding blisters on the donkey's hindquarters from the leather straps and he was terribly loaded down. The man tied him up to a post while he went into the tienda (no effort made to unload anything to give the beast a little comfort) and the poor thing just wimpered. Town's people walked by and tisked. While other pilgrims were picking up lightweight food, the man purchased bottles of wine, canned foods and other heavy items. Didn't see anything that would approach food for a donkey. Several of us wanted to saddle the man up and load him down.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I too wonder how the trip went with the Jack's. We are going with ours, hopefully Fall 2014, on the Francais Camino. I am having great success finding lodgings that will accept our Thor along the way. We will not, however, be employing the use of a donkey.
In answer about the little legs of Jack Russell's. Believe me Thor is a hard nosed Colorado hiker who can do 20 km or more a day easily on rough trail or tarmac (put our shepherd mix to shame). With our time frame we will be taking our time and not be rushing to complete this journey, so we are not planning on doing 20 or more km per day. Also plan 2 or 3 day stops as the need or desire arises.

Dogwalker4 said:
I too wonder how the trip went with the Jack's. We are going with ours, hopefully Fall 2014, on the Francais Camino. I am having great success finding lodgings that will accept our Thor along the way. We will not, however, be employing the use of a donkey.
In answer about the little legs of Jack Russell's. Believe me Thor is a hard nosed Colorado hiker who can do 20 km or more a day easily on rough trail or tarmac (put our shepherd mix to shame). With our time frame we will be taking our time and not be rushing to complete this journey, so we are not planning on doing 20 or more km per day. Also plan 2 or 3 day stops as the need or desire arises.

Two more things to consider is how you will get back home from Santiago. Dogs, apart of guide / assistance dogs, are not allowed on any public transport in Spain. And the next thing is that the dogs that live in the villages on the Camino normally dislike other strange dogs that walk through their territory. How does your Jack R. react when he is suddenly barked at, or worse, by a pack of village dogs?

"Two more things to consider is how you will get back home from Santiago. Dogs, apart of guide / assistance dogs, are not allowed on any public transport in Spain. And the next thing is that the dogs that live in the villages on the Camino normally dislike other strange dogs that walk through their territory. How does your Jack R. react when he is suddenly barked at, or worse, by a pack of village dogs?"

http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/info/animales.html
We will take the train of course. Thor is a stalwart and very used to other larger dogs who may or may not be aggressive. We also can pick him up quite easliy and will always have our walking staffs, just in case. :D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hola, does anyone know if you can pay for a single municipal bus ride within Santiago city limits by tapping one's contactless payment card, similar to a London bus? Or do you have to purchase a...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back