• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santo Domingo de Silos

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3000

If you want a break at Burgos, you can watch and hear the monks of Santo Domingo de Silos sing vespers every evening at 1930. The most economical way is by bus.

http://www.autocaresarceredillo.es/#burgos_caleruega

Salidas de Burgos
Lunes a Jueves 17:30
Viernes 18:30
Sábados 14:00
Domingos y festivos sin servicio

SANTO DOMINGO DE SILOS.
Salidas de Lunes a Sábado: 8:30 am

There are several hostales starting at about 30 Euros. The cloisters are worth a visit, too. However, the tour is closed when the bus arrives (at about 1915), and do not open until after the bus leaves the next morning. So it is a two-day trip to do both.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Falcon,
I stayed three nights in Santo Domingo de Silos, so had two complete days there.

It is a beautiful place, very high above sea level and yet surrounded by mountains. I followed the river for about a mile and sat on a tree trunk and watched as two eagles taught their four young ones how to fly.

I enjoyed the tour of the monastery so much that I went back and did it again next day, and hope to go again within the next two weeks

For those who like Gregorian chant and see it as one of the loveliest ways to praise God, it is a little foretaste of heaven.
Lydia

falcon269 said:
Sábados 14:00
The current autocaresarceredillo.es website shows no Saturday service (Sábados, Domingo y festivos sin servicio). I'm wondering if anyone knows if there is a difference between winter and summer hours, or if this is a permanent change.

I'd like to stay two nights in de Silos, and the two-day blockage means I'm limited to leaving Burgos on a Monday through Wednesday.

Assuming no Saturday or Sunday service, are there other local options for getting to Santo Domingo de Silos? Taxi would be fairly expensive, though ride sharing would make it less so. My bigger concern would be getting back to Burgos because I assume fewer taxis in de Silos.

PAX,
Matt

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Its a good 60 kilometers from Burgos to Santo Domingo de Silos, thats at least 60 Euro even if you could find a taxi driver willing to make the trip. Coming back? Santo Domingo de Silos is a small rural community-not much chance of a taxi back from there. The cloisters and the singing are divine and certainly worth the bus ride so plan carefully.

The challenge I have is that, according to my current schedule, I get to Burgos on either Friday or Saturday. If Friday, it pretty much means I will spend the entire weekend there and lose a day (if such a gain can be called a loss). If on Saturday, then I have the expensive taxi ride.

I'm hoping that they dropped the Saturday run because it is winter, and that it will be restored in the summer. Regardless, St. James will provide.

PAX,
Matt

I am planning the camino in April 2014. My route is not finalized, but I am thinking about the northern route and primitivo. However when I found that the french way goes through Burgos, I am thinking about going french way in order to go to Burgos so that I stop by Santo Domingo de Silos. Does anyone know how much off the way this monastery is? If I stop by the monastery, is adding one day to my plan enough?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There is one bus daily in the evening from Burgos, and it arrives in time for vespers. The return bus the next morning leaves before the cloisters open. So if you want to see both, it takes two days.

If you rent a car for about 100€, you can see it all in one day.

falcon269, thank you for your reply. I gather the camino goes through the town of Burgos, and the monastery is a bus ride away from the town/camino. In that case, if I arrive in Burgos before bus leaves for the monastery, take bus in the evening, stay there for a night, see the monastery following day, and catch the bus next morning, then it just takes a little over 24 hours. Wouldn't it? For example, I arrive at Burgos Monday afternoon/early evening. I would be continuing on Tuesday morning if I do not visit the monastery. But if I take bus to the monastery on Monday night, stay there Monday night and Tuesday night, and take bus on Wednesday in the morning to Burgos and would be on my way on Wednesday mid-morning from Burgos. Am I correct? So in this case, instead of leaving Burgos early Tuesday morning, I will be on my way Wednesday mid-morning.
If my assumption/understanding is correct I will definitely visit.

Yes, that schedule works. There is a nice nature trail to occupy part of your day after you visit the cloisters. Men can stay the night with the monks by making arrangements. There are a couple of reasonable hotels. When you get back to Burgos, Tardajos and Rabe are possible destinations for the shortened day.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was there about ten days ago. It is def a two day visit but def worthwhile. The monks also sing at the morning service, so I heard them three times. Spending the day there was so peaceful - went for short walks, had time to take photos and just SIT quietly. Stayed st the Santa Domingo hotel and felt like part of the family. The bus leaves at 8.10 in the morning. When I got to Burgos at about 9.30 (also school bus - so kids get picked up and dropped off!) I still managed to visit the cathedral and get to Rabe de las Calzadas that same day. There is also a bus that you can take to get you out of Burgos to the first village if you are running out if time.

The visit to the cloisters is really well worth while, even if you don't speak Spanish. Go and admire the exquisite carvings on the capitals of the pillars especially the wide supports at the corners. The stone mason was an absolute artist. See his depiction of Jesus as Pilgrim with his water gourd and shell and pilgrim staff in the carving of the disciples on the road to Emmaus.
The Annunciation and Coronation in one single carving shows such a creative mind.
The paintings on the ceiling seem to have an Arabic influence.
The pharmacy too is most interesting. During hard times the monastery had to sell off all their beautiful ceramic ointment jars, but centuries later a benefactor brought them when they came up for sale on the public market and gifted them back to the monastery.

It is a personal thing I know, but for me the most beautiful prayerful singing in all the world is the sound of the monks at prayer in Santo Domingo de Silos.

They had a libretto of the psalms being sung if you can match sound to spelling. I could not!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Lydia Gillen said:
The visit to the cloisters is really well worth while, ... Go and admire the exquisite carvings on the capitals of the pillars especially the wide supports at the corners. ....The pharmacy too is most interesting. .... the most beautiful prayerful singing...
Sounds wonderful. We've been hoping to get there on two previous walks via Burgos, but things didn't work out for it at the time. Hopefully, we'll get there later this year, for a couple of days.
I think (from my rough translation), their website indicates that things are closed on all Mondays, January 1st & Dec 25. We hope to walk this year in October/November, the websit says "Festivos en la Abadía" which I think is Festival/Holiday at the Abbey on 12 October & 1st November . Does anyone know if this means, Festival "sorry we're closed" or Festival "come & see it"?
Colin

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back