• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santo Tomas de las Ollas

Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
Our virtual Olvidado thread has been talking about this remarkable tenth C church, and how to get there. But it turns out it is a mere 1.4km from the Albergue San Nicolas de Flue in Ponferrada, well within the range of an average peregrino as a side trip:

So if you plan to spend the night in Ponferrada, it's worth checking it out! I've been through there three times and had no idea. Next time!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Way back when we were doing the virtual Olvidado thread, I had written to the Ponferrada tourism office asking about visiting the church. They have just responded with the name and number to call.

Manuela, 606 13 52 11

She lives nearby and has the keys and is apparently very eager to show the church to pilgrims.
That is good news for future visitors.
The neighborhood surrounding the church has many new buildings. Nearby is a good simple popular resto La Fragata at Calle Medio, 102.

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I was thinking of ponferrada today and wondered how many visited this gem. When I walked, this beautiful little church was the main reason I was in ponferrada (Templar castle was second). My guide (Confraternity of St James) told me to knock on house number 7 with the balcony; it took me a while to work up nerve to knock on a Sunday, but I wanted to see the church. I kept loitering and looking at my watch, looking longingly at the church then hopefully toward number 7 willing someone to walk out. I guess she saw me and took pity and walked out to ask if I wanted to see the church. The lady was wonderful, showed me the church and when I asked if it was still an active church, it was and I was invited back for Mass, where the priest spoke realllyyy slowly during the homily I’m sure because he was told the small perigrina barely speaks any Spanish.

The lady was wonderful, showed me the church and when I asked if it was still an active church, it was and I was invited back for Mass, where the priest spoke realllyyy slowly during the homily I’m sure because he was told the small perigrina barely speaks any Spanish
So touching, SS.
Just a little way off the beaten path, there are marvels. I'm do glad this happened for you, and thank you for sharing this wonderful story.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.