• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santo Toribio to Covadonga

Pilgrim 122

Time of past OR future Camino
currently walking Rome to Santiago
hello, I am walking to Santiago from London over three years. Next year is the final leg!
I have got as far as Santander. I am planning to walk to santo toribio and wanted to take in Covadonga if possible. I can see there is a road through the picos de Europe C1 and this could be followed going via Sotres and then onto Poncebos. After this the AS 264 And then AS114 lead round to the road to Covadonga. I was planning on taking quite a few days on this, although I am reasonably fit I don't want to exhaust myself before I get into Galicia. has anyone walked this? am I insane to consider it? I was thinking I would be unlikely to get lost on the roads but wondered how hairy they are with regards traffic. any help will be greatly appreciated.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Dear 122,
that's some spectacular high-altitude country you're in!
There are roads... indeed, there's a trail through the mountains (a route followed by the very first reconquistadors, supposedly) connecting Covadonga to Potes. Both the roads and the trails up there are narrow and twisty and very isolated, and now that the weather is changing, well. You're rolling the dice, going into those mountains on foot. The roads you mention are not safe to walk along, especially in the desfiladeros, especially when you're nearing Covadonga and other touristed places where giant buses might be hogging the pavement. Even driving them in a car is a thrill ride!

Reb.

I can see there is a road through the picos de Europe C1

Hello! Welcome to the forum! I wish you have a pleasant and fruitful stay among us.

I guess you mean the road that goes from Tresviso to Sotres but that road just goes from Tresviso (in Cantabria) to Sotres (in Asturias). That's the only road going to Tresviso and it ends in Tresviso (i.e.: you just can access tresviso by road from Sotres). You can reach Tresviso by path from Urdón but be aware that's a step path (you gain more than 800 meters of elevation in barely -or less than- 6 kms).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oh dear, what was I thinking!!!
I am hoping to set out from Santander on the last leg of my pilgrimage in Spring 2016. I am excited already and when planning my journey from the comfort of my sofa anything seems possible. I think it is fair to say that I have got completely carried away with myself here! Thank you very much for your kind advice and words of wisdom. I have come back to reality now and am definitely not going to attempt this.
I am still thinking of walking to Santo Toribio but will rejoin the route along the coast after. I think it will be possible to get the bus up to Covadonga from the coast so I am now thinking about a day trip instead. Sensible and realistic this time. The sanctuary looks like a wonderful place and it would be a shame not to to visit when I am so near.

I am hoping to set out from Santander on the last leg of my pilgrimage in Spring 2016. I am excited already and when planning my journey from the comfort of my sofa anything seems possible. I think it is fair to say that I have got completely carried away with myself here! Thank you very much for your kind advice and words of wisdom. I have come back to reality now and am definitely not going to attempt this.
I am still thinking of walking to Santo Toribio but will rejoin the route along the coast after. I think it will be possible to get the bus up to Covadonga from the coast so I am now thinking about a day trip instead. Sensible and realistic this time. The sanctuary looks like a wonderful place and it would be a shame not to to visit when I am so near.
Well, you might be right, but still we're two guys trying to attempt it anyway this coming May (2016), leaving from Hondarribia late April. Going to Santa Toribio to continue to Fuente De, join the cable car, and from the end station walk to Poncebos. We did consider the reconquistador route, but decided to go via Poncebos to Las Arenas and back into the Picos to Lago de Ernol to end up in Covadonga and Cangas de Onis before returning to del Norte.

hello, I am walking to Santiago from London over three years. Next year is the final leg!
I have got as far as Santander. I am planning to walk to santo toribio and wanted to take in Covadonga if possible. I can see there is a road through the picos de Europe C1 and this could be followed going via Sotres and then onto Poncebos. After this the AS 264 And then AS114 lead round to the road to Covadonga. I was planning on taking quite a few days on this, although I am reasonably fit I don't want to exhaust myself before I get into Galicia. has anyone walked this? am I insane to consider it? I was thinking I would be unlikely to get lost on the roads but wondered how hairy they are with regards traffic. any help will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Pilgrim 122,
In 2013 we walked from Arriondas to Covadonga after deciding that the track over the mountains from Llanes would be too wet after torrential rain. Arriondas is easily accessible by bus or FEVE and the walk is partly on back roads and part tracks. The final stretch into Covadonga is on pavement alongside the road.Our blog is here :- http://peripatio.blogspot.co.uk/sea...0-07:00&max-results=29&start=11&by-date=false
I will try to send you my Llanes to Covadonga notes by PM if I can attach the file.

Blessings
Tio Tel

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As Terry says if you return to the coast as far as Ribadasella, or any other place with a FEVE station before then, you can take a train round to Arriondas and walk to Covadonga from there. The alternative would be to take the bus to Arriondas/Cangas de Onis. After Covadonga you can then return from Cangas de Onis to the coast at Ribadasella, or take the bus to Oviedo and the Primitivo.

Thank you all for your advice, I think I might walks from Arriondas as Tio Tel has done. I would prefer not to take the bus but it will not ruin my pilgrimage if I do !
Good luck to Niels and your companion, I think it will be a fantastic walk but I am a 50 + year old lady walking alone and it is out of my league!

Thank you all for your advice, I think I might walks from Arriondas as Tio Tel has done. I would prefer not to take the bus but it will not ruin my pilgrimage if I do !
Good luck to Niels and your companion, I think it will be a fantastic walk but I am a 50 + year old lady walking alone and it is out of my league!
Well, I'm a little old man, justt turned 60 six months ago ...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We have a list of places we stayed in Arriondas and through to Covadonga . If you want them @TerryB and I can send them to you via PM.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.