• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sara’s Mozarabe Video Blog (Almeria to Moclin) Jan 2020

Sara_Dhooma

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (14), Portuguese (15), Le Puy (17), Ingles (17), VDLP (18), Lana (18), Madrid (19) + more
Hello,

It is January 2020 and I am currently on the Mozarabe! I only have two weeks before flying to Chile so I will end in Baena.

Next time I’ll walk Jaen- Baena - Merida. 😁

The Almeria Camino Association is absolutely fabulous and well-organized. Big thank you to Jorge, Nely & Alicia! The Albergues are amazing thus far.

Here is a link to the playlist:
Sara’s Almeria Mozarabe Camino playlist

I will try to post each day depending on wifi availability.

Feel free to ask any questions!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just watched Sara’s second day, with that killer descent that @C clearly and I loved so much. She is absolutely right when she says that though it may not look so bad, it is! I could not have done it without my hiking poles. I remember thinking that in many spots the switchbacks were not much better than the straight down version, and I think I wound up just heading straight down since it was shorter.

So nice to see the insides of these new albergues — pretty soon, the Mozárabe will rival the Madrid for its supply of great albergues, if it doesn’t already!

Buen camino, Sara, hope you don’t have too many more nighttime walks! Laurie

I have watched all of them now, wow! 😃 I can't imagine being there alone, you are some tough lady 😍
How do you finance your travels and what does it mean when you thank some people for beers? I would love to buy a beer to you too 😁👍but I'm not likely to actually meet you 😄

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
i am really enjoying the videos of the Mozarabe. For various reasons, I did not enjoy that Camino as much as others. But now I am realizing how interesting a route it was, and that I would like to go back and do it again without the issues I had the first time.
in many spots the switchbacks were not much better than the straight down version
Yes. As I gingerly descended, step by step, carefully placing each pole and each foot, I thought that if it were snow-covered my kids would be jump-turning down in a flash. I would say that was the hardest piece of Camino I have walked. But it was a beautiful day and I loved the terrain and scenery.

Edited to add. Just now after writing the above, I remembered walking one day on the Mozarabe with @marilyn van graan. One of us said to the other "I won't be walking this camino again." The other echoed the statement and we had a rueful laugh and moment of complete agreement. 🤣 🤣

Last edited:
I have watched all of them now, wow! 😃 I can't imagine being there alone, you are some tough lady 😍
How do you finance your travels and what does it mean when you thank some people for beers? I would love to buy a beer to you too 😁👍but I'm not likely to actually meet you 😄
Sara has a patreon page that you can use to buy her beers. There is a link on the detailed descriptions attached to her videos on YouTube, I expect.

From what I've heard her say on radio interviews here in Canada, she is financing her travels through her life savings. A near-death experience caused her to reevaluate how she was spending her time and what she was saving for.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks! I found the web page now 😊👍
It seems that the beer buying possibility is not available globally, so I'll have to wait if She ever comes to Finland! 😃 But Happy travels to Sara ❤

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Sara_Dhooma
I’m enjoying these daily videos immensely but spacing them out, so as to enjoy them for longer. Boy oh boy ... that rock climb (day3) was a doozie ! I don’t think I’d make it without a hand hold ..or someone with a rope ! Cross that route off ‘my’ list ?
Considering it was January and you were getting hot ., you’d have to walk this one ‘well’ before summer. The exertion on that climb would have been a contributing factor to that though . Looks like beautiful days otherwise.
Buen camino
Annie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There were a few places where I thought it would be nice to know that there would be another pilgrim coming along that day, in case I sprained an ankle or knee! That's a good reason to have a phone. There could also be a few spots where a person with fear of heights might have trouble, but it is hard to judge that if you don't suffer yourself.

Hello!

Just popping in to say the weather has been a bit crazy. I was without wifi for a few days so very tardy in posting videos. Heading into Granada today. I may not have time to make it Baena before my flight to South America- but it worth it to linger in a mountain village for a festival!

Oh and beer power is a real thing. 😉 As long as I can zip up my clothing and have strength to carry up mountains I don’t worry so much about my weight. It fluctuates up and down depending on the type of hiking trail I am doing. When I started the Le Puy Camino in August 2017 I was at least 50 lbs heavier than I am now. At my last medical check-up my lab results & blood pressure was perfectly normal. 😁

It is a long story, but if I have another confirmed blood clot, I will need to be on medication permanently and I will not be able to drink alcohol (or wilderness hike) again. So I am enjoying hiking life and village beers along the way!
View attachment trim.338CA894-708B-4678-9426-0B79BA8933C6.MOV

Attachments

• 422F16F4-63FA-444B-96A2-FAE373581D20.jpeg
    422F16F4-63FA-444B-96A2-FAE373581D20.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Well I've seen people burn their clothes in Finisterre - but I think you are now taking things to the extreme :p

Looking forward to seeing your adventures in South America.

Davie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That looks like the traditional bonfires for Saint Sebastian's day, he is celebrated in quite a few towns in Granada for historical reasons. The people clear the dry bushes in the mountain and burn aromatic plants like rosemary, lavender, thyme or sage in the streets, it is quite an interesting celebration!

Heading into Granada today. I may not have time to make it Baena before my flight to South America- but it worth it to linger in a mountain village for a festival!
I completely agree. Which village were you in? Was it Quentar? I hope you’ve been okay in the extreme weather.
Since you mentioned plans to start from Jaen (another great association) you don’t really need to get to Baena this time. I think the Jaen and Almeria paths converge in Alcaudete. So if you make It there, you’ll be able to pick up the path at the same point when you come from Jaen.
Have a great time in Granada. A great place to enjoy a brew or two.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
After extreme weather the dry rivers bed can turn into wild rivers. You had them already behind you.

Hello,

It is January 2020 and I am currently on the Mozarabe! I only have two weeks before flying to Chile so I will end in Baena.

Next time I’ll walk Jaen- Baena - Merida. 😁

The Almeria Camino Association is absolutely fabulous and well-organized. Big thank you to Jorge, Nely & Alicia! The Albergues are amazing thus far.

Here is a link to the playlist:
Sara’s Almeria Mozarabe Camino playlist

I will try to post each day depending on wifi availability.

Feel free to ask any questions!
Just before Baena, stop for lunch at Estación de Luque...lunch on the platform is very cool and the olive oil is unbelievable...

Just before Baena, stop for lunch at Estación de Luque...lunch on the platform is very cool and the olive oil is unbelievable...
I am afraid the Camino does not go past Estación de Luque. I do, however, agree, the food is excellent value and the oil is quite good and fresh as it can be.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well guys, I am still in Granada!!!! I was a bit under the weather (no beers for three days!). I want to ensure I am fit and healthy before flying to Chile this weekend. Spending one week carrying all my food, and living in a tent on the Torres Del Paine trek requires full fitness levels!

Been wandering the streets, sightseeing a bit, and resting in bed watching ‘Star Trek’.

I have two more days until I fly from Granada to Barcelona, then Chile. Unsure if I’ll hike another stage or two, out just continue soaking up the atmosphere here in Granada.

Hello!

Just popping in to say the weather has been a bit crazy. I was without wifi for a few days so very tardy in posting videos. Heading into Granada today. I may not have time to make it Baena before my flight to South America- but it worth it to linger in a mountain village for a festival!

Oh and beer power is a real thing. 😉 As long as I can zip up my clothing and have strength to carry up mountains I don’t worry so much about my weight. It fluctuates up and down depending on the type of hiking trail I am doing. When I started the Le Puy Camino in August 2017 I was at least 50 lbs heavier than I am now. At my last medical check-up my lab results & blood pressure was perfectly normal. 😁

It is a long story, but if I have another confirmed blood clot, I will need to be on medication permanently and I will not be able to drink alcohol (or wilderness hike) again. So I am enjoying hiking life and village beers along the way!
View attachment 68838

Wow!

I don’t know what to feel sorrier about your beer drinking loss or your blood clot.

I love your videos.

Vaya con Dios!

Last edited:
Well guys, I am still in Granada!!!! I was a bit under the weather (no beers for three days!). I want to ensure I am fit and healthy before flying to Chile this weekend. Spending one week carrying all my food, and living in a tent on the Torres Del Paine trek requires full fitness levels!

Been wandering the streets, sightseeing a bit, and resting in bed watching ‘Star Trek’.

I have two more days until I fly from Granada to Barcelona, then Chile. Unsure if I’ll hike another stage or two, out just continue soaking up the atmosphere here in Granada.

Sara, so sorry to hear you are under the weather. By the way, did you get to visit the Alhambra? If the tickets on the website were showing no availability, make sure to check back the day before. I have seen that tickets frequently open up. Get better! Abrazos.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am afraid the Camino does not go past Estación de Luque. I do, however, agree, the food is excellent value and the oil is quite good and fresh as it can be.
Yes, you are right. I had forgotten that. Spring 2018 was very wet and as a lone peregrina I decided that I had had my fill of 'iffy' vados and bridges....so I stuck to the main road for that leg.

Hello!

View attachment 68838
@Sara_Dhooma, I guess we grannies around the world watching your trips and videos, enjoying your walks, learning about our next caminos, getting worried about your walking through the dark at night, your drinking some more beers than we would dear to do with a lot of km further to walk, are looking at you as our grand child daughter and being worried, more than thinking back on what we would be doing 50 years ago!
I hope you´ll be able to continue walking for a lot of years.
I hope to do camino de Madrid this spring and have enjoyed your videos from that camino as well as the Invierno and the Mozarabe.
Randi

I just watched Day7 Guadix to La Peza.
Castle and caves houses & Spectacular scenery. :)
I want to see that stretch one day

Thanks Sara

Hope you’re feeling better
Annie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Start trek in Spanish? El Capitan Picard? I found the pisco sours of Chile most invigorating. If you drop by the Cathedral in Santiago, they have a statue of the saint and a notice of the kilometrage to the other Santiago.

(tangent alert: when at a training workshop and discussing flights to Spain, a prospective pilgrim stood up and lambasted me for saying that there were no flights from Canada to Santiago, as he had found them and just clicked Buy on the Air Canada site. After looking at his cellphone for a minute, I told him to get in touch pronto with Air Canada, as he had just bought himself a ticket for Chile. I will always treasure that moment).

Hola!

I am in Patagonia now and my solo 8-day trek on the Torres Del Paine ‘O’ circuit starts tomorrow. No wifi or cell service out there!!!

I spent two nights in Granada, one day to Pinos Puente, and my final day was to Moclin via the gorge alternative. I’ll resume on the Mozarabe from Moclin next time I am in Spain (and sneak in the connection stages from Jaen!).

I was only in Santiago, Chile for a night. but I hope to have time to visit the Cathedral - when I return for my flight to Canada. Until then.... trekking in Chilean & Argentinian Patagonia!!! (Also secretly hoping I find an extremely low-priced Antarctica deal while I’m at the bottoms of the world, 🐧 but very doubtful 😉 ).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Looking forward to seeing your videos from South America and keep chugging them beers!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Your videos were great Sara and at the same time, it gave me a big picture of what to expect in sept. I wish you a happy trail in South America and you’re right, if you have a chance for an Antartica deal, go girl!👍🏻 You rock!😎

Alright! Completed the 8-day O Circuit in Torres Del Paine yesterday!

Day 14 (Pinos Puente to Moclin) will be uploaded tomorrow. The hike was stupendous!!!! Huge thank you to Amancio for suggestions the beautiful gorge alternative.

After that.... Patagonia videos begin! 🏔 🇨🇱

Sara
Just finished watching your final day 15 into Moclín.
Fabulous. Quite a huff n puff too !
I laughed at your ‘wiggly woggly’ bridge and your plea “be the nice bridge !!” Ha ha.
From your final notes mentioning where you’re heading in the spring, summer and fall - I’ve noticed we might even be lucky enough to see you in Australia later in the year .. that was my interpretation anyway.

Buen camino wherever you are !!
Annie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello fellow pilgrims. I will start walking the Camino Mozárabe from Almería on 5th April 2024 and just wonder whether there is anybody else there around that date with the same objective?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back