• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Sara Dhooma: 2nd Camino Frances… now with more beer

Sara_Dhooma

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (14), Portuguese (15), Le Puy (17), Ingles (17), VDLP (18), Lana (18), Madrid (19) + more
Hello!

I am currently sitting at Orisson with big cold beer admiring the view.

I first walked the full Camino Frances route in 2014 when I was younger (and fitter). Joining me for the adventure are two Canadian ladies. I hiked portions of the rugged ‘Great Divide Trail’ last summer we share a common love for long-distance walking, big scenic views, and adult beverages. 😉

It was quite a mess getting here due to EasyJet mayhem. We arrived in St. Jean-Pied-de-Port yesterday afternoon and relaxed on Gite Makila’s beautiful terrace. I adore the buzz of excitement in the air from anxious pilgrims.

I’m out-of-shape (for various reasons) and it was a slow three-hour slog up to Orisson this morning. I took many breaks under my sun umbrella to allow my heart rate to settle.

My most amusing moment was being passed by a young Italian pilgrim. He exclaimed ‘I am quitting smoking today!’. 😂. Sadly, he thought it was five kilometres to the top… the colour drained from his face when I told him it was 15km!

Our trio doesn’t need to cross the mountain today. We have a reservation at Auberge Borda. They don’t open until 2:30pm hence the giant beers at Orisson. :)

I’ll be posting YouTube videos live as I walk, dependant on wifi of course! First video should be out tomorrow.
41A18836-4337-46E5-A268-0C7D3CD122F6.jpeg

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Sara...enjoy the beer! We stopped at Orrison on the 18th May with our 2 kids (11 & 15) and very much enjoyed the hospitality they offered (including the beer 🍺).

We currently in Burgos enjoying a well earned rest day 😴

Attachments

• IMG_3225.jpg
    IMG_3225.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 67
Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I love the thread title Sara! Your videos have inspired more than one of my lesser travelled caminos, the Lana in particular! Always a great mix of useful information and good tips put across by one who doesn't take herself too seriously..
Enjoy the beverages, enjoy the way!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello!

I first walked the full Camino Frances route in 2014 when I was younger (and fitter). Joining me for the adventure are two Canadian ladies. I hiked portions of the rugged ‘Great Divide Trail’ last summer we share a common love for long-distance walking, big scenic views, and adult beverages. 😉

It was quite a mess getting here due to EasyJet mayhem. We arrived in St. Jean-Pied-de-Port yesterday afternoon and relaxed on Gite Makila’s beautiful terrace. I adore the buzz of excitement in the air from anxious pilgrims.

I’m out-of-shape (for various reasons) and it was a slow three-hour slog up to Orisson this morning. I took many breaks under my sun umbrella to allow my heart rate to settle.

My most amusing moment was being passed by a young Italian pilgrim. He exclaimed ‘I am quitting smoking today!’. 😂. Sadly, he thought it was five kilometres to the top… the colour drained from his face when I told him it was 15km!

Our trio doesn’t need to cross the mountain today. We have a reservation at Auberge Borda. They don’t open until 2:30pm hence the giant beers at Orisson. :)

I’ll be posting YouTube videos live as I walk, dependant on wifi of course! First video should be out tomorrow.
View attachment 126795
Hooray you’re back!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So excited to see you back on the Camino- your YouTube channel helped me through some of those hard, winter COVID months (and was part of the inspiration to start my own channel!). Can't wait to follow your journey!

Hello!

View attachment 126795
Hi Sara I am a subscriber to your channel. I have watched all of your camino videos. Last year paid close attention to yours before I walked the VDLP. If you could would you please give a mention to the names of albergues you stay in that you liked. To me an albergue that is clean and has basic services and especially a nice hospitelaro/a is all I need for a pleasant night. On less traveled camino I know the hospitalero may or may not be there and you have to pick up the key at a bar or town hall. On the CF it is probably not something that is needed as there are so many choices and so many sources to find out about sleeping. Lots of times on those less traveled routes there are few options and even less knowledge of the albergue.
Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So excited to see you back on the Camino- your YouTube channel helped me through some of those hard, winter COVID months (and was part of the inspiration to start my own channel!). Can't wait to follow your journey!
Plus one ! I watched Sara’s videos of Camino de madrid during lockdown 6 in Australia. And now I’m on the path! Haven’t met any other pilgrims yet - it’s been soooo nice not to rush for a bed:)

Good news and Buen Camino! I’m currently in Arzua - getting near the end of my Camino now. It’s pouring down, but I could happily turn round and do it all again.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm looking forward to seeing what the descent into Zubiri currently looks like. According to recent reports it is much more difficult than I remember on my 2016 & 2019 Caminos due to erosion and other damage from heavy rains.

Hello!

View attachment 126795
Hey Canuck. Good luck...send us the link pls

Hello!

View attachment 126795
Welcome back! Looking forward to the videos...

Hope you doing well...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yay @Sara_Dhooma you’re back! Looking forward tomsome videos and you post covid camino perspective 😀✨

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Tha is for all your replies! The wifi at Roncesvalles is strained with a full house (about 230 pilgrims!) so no uploading is possible today.

Last night our gracious host Laurent at Auberge Borda served up a delicious meal. We started with a vegetable soup and had a tasty potato dish with savoury minced pork as the entree. The basque cake for dessert was sweet.. but even sweeter was going around the table and learning about my fellow pilgrims. Laurent’s icebreaker had us briefly introduce ourselves, share our previous camino experiences (if any), and our reasons for walking.

Laurent asked me to help clear the table and place the breakfast settings. I happily obliged and was gifted the left over Merlot from dinner for my service.

I slept very well in a comfortable bed with a privacy curtain. Unfortunately the curtain only blocks the light… not the musical night sounds of weary walkers! 😉

In the morning I quickly gobbled up a light breakfast of yogurt, granola, and coffee as I was eager to cross the Pyrenees pass. The weather report predicted 87% chance of afternoon thunderstorms and I wanted the beat the rain.

It was a dull trudge upwards in a heavy white mass of clouds for the first climbs. I have a heavier pack than usual as it is loaded with my wilderness camping gear. The caffeine boost of Laurent’s coffee kept my legs in motion when my calves turned into lead bricks.

My 2014 stage had awful weather and I was disappointment that history was repeating itself. Just as my mind lingered on that negative thought, the mist started rolling away like sorcery. Sweeping emerald green hills dotted with sheep revealed themselves to me. Each step upwards was still huffering (a combo of huffing & puffing plus body suffering) but the delight of the gorgeous surroundings kept a smile on my face.

During a rest break it briefly showered and popped open my umbrella to stay dry. Perhaps it was sorcery again that kept the thunderstorm away! Laurent has a friendly black cat named ‘Little Wizard’. Hmm! 😄

I’m slower than my two Canadian companions and walked solo for part of the day. As long as I take a step forward (no matter how tiny) I’m getting closer to Santiago de Compostela. I was passed by a swift young lady coming from Le Puy-en-Velay. I watched with envy as she effortlessly floated up the hot hill. I’m hiking for three months so I know I’ve eventually get close that level!

Kate, Karen, and I giddily chatted during the descent to the Monastery. It was such a treat to have a clear day and being able to see the massive complex growing larger and larger in view as we wound down the path.

In 2014, I got lost in the fog and had an unpleasant bushwhacked though the forest. This time I stuck to strictly following the yellow arrows. The highlight was exploring the abandoned underground fortifications from the Spanish Civil war. The lowlight was brushing my legs on stinging nettles *ouch* while exploring!

We arrive at Roncesvalles at 2:00pm and it was a short wait to get registered. I had prebooked our beds months in advance. The hospitalero told me they have 230 beds (opening up the basement with bunks and a extra beds in a small adjacent building) but are still filling.

While dropping off laundry (4€ a load for wash, dry & fold!) I popped in to see the basement bunk areas. It is a grim, musty smelling place and I felt very fortunate to have a bed on the second floor!

The girls and I enjoyed a couple Estrella Galicia pints relaxing on the Posada restaurant patio. Our dinner was also in the same restaurant (11€ booked though the monastery directly). The trout entree was not delicious… but it was filling. The dinner plates were not cleared before dessert was served- and I was amused that the severed head of the trout stared up at me while I enjoyed my cup of ice cream.

Hopefully I can upload tomorrow and will post the link when available!

81692326-1A55-43D3-8253-B54247EDDCE7.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello!

View attachment 126795
Tha is for all your replies! The wifi at Roncesvalles is strained with a full house (about 230 pilgrims!) so no uploading is possible today.

Last night our gracious host Laurent at Auberge Borda served up a delicious meal. We started with a vegetable soup and had a tasty potato dish with savoury minced pork as the entree. The basque cake for dessert was sweet.. but even sweeter was going around the table and learning about my fellow pilgrims. Laurent’s icebreaker had us briefly introduce ourselves, share our previous camino experiences (if any), and our reasons for walking.

Laurent asked me to help clear the table and place the breakfast settings. I happily obliged and was gifted the left over Merlot from dinner for my service.

I slept very well in a comfortable bed with a privacy curtain. Unfortunately the curtain only blocks the light… not the musical night sounds of weary walkers! 😉

In the morning I quickly gobbled up a light breakfast of yogurt, granola, and coffee as I was eager to cross the Pyrenees pass. The weather report predicted 87% chance of afternoon thunderstorms and I wanted the beat the rain.

It was a dull trudge upwards in a heavy white mass of clouds for the first climbs. I have a heavier pack than usual as it is loaded with my wilderness camping gear. The caffeine boost of Laurent’s coffee kept my legs in motion when my calves turned into lead bricks.

My 2014 stage had awful weather and I was disappointment that history was repeating itself. Just as my mind lingered on that negative thought, the mist started rolling away like sorcery. Sweeping emerald green hills dotted with sheep revealed themselves to me. Each step upwards was still huffering (a combo of huffing & puffing plus body suffering) but the delight of the gorgeous surroundings kept a smile on my face.

During a rest break it briefly showered and popped open my umbrella to stay dry. Perhaps it was sorcery again that kept the thunderstorm away! Laurent has a friendly black cat named ‘Little Wizard’. Hmm! 😄

I’m slower than my two Canadian companions and walked solo for part of the day. As long as I take a step forward (no matter how tiny) I’m getting closer to Santiago de Compostela. I was passed by a swift young lady coming from Le Puy-en-Velay. I watched with envy as she effortlessly floated up the hot hill. I’m hiking for three months so I know I’ve eventually get close that level!

Kate, Karen, and I giddily chatted during the descent to the Monastery. It was such a treat to have a clear day and being able to see the massive complex growing larger and larger in view as we wound down the path.

In 2014, I got lost in the fog and had an unpleasant bushwhacked though the forest. This time I stuck to strictly following the yellow arrows. The highlight was exploring the abandoned underground fortifications from the Spanish Civil war. The lowlight was brushing my legs on stinging nettles *ouch* while exploring!

We arrive at Roncesvalles at 2:00pm and it was a short wait to get registered. I had prebooked our beds months in advance. The hospitalero told me they have 230 beds (opening up the basement with bunks and a extra beds in a small adjacent building) but are still filling.

While dropping off laundry (4€ a load for wash, dry & fold!) I popped in to see the basement bunk areas. It is a grim, musty smelling place and I felt very fortunate to have a bed on the second floor!

The girls and I enjoyed a couple Estrella Galicia pints relaxing on the Posada restaurant patio. Our dinner was also in the same restaurant (11€ booked though the monastery directly). The trout entree was not delicious… but it was filling. The dinner plates were not cleared before dessert was served- and I was amused that the severed head of the trout stared up at me while I enjoyed my cup of ice cream.

View attachment 126900
I love your post & look forward to reading more about your Camino. Please post daily if you can!!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I was supposed to be starting the camino del norte today, but easyjet decided to cancel my flight.....after I had checked my rucksack in, then made me wait for 2 hours why they rummaged around airside trying to find it, your picture of the fog is stunning, & has cheered me up, thanks for that, hopefully getting a Wednesday flight to complete camino no.2......
Look forward to your posts

Buen camino

Graham

Great to see you back out on the Camino, Sara!! Can't wait to see your videos. May your bridge dances be often, happy, and filled with cheer and beer 🍻

Buen Camino, Peregrina!

Hello!

View attachment 126795
Hi Sara!
Am envious and looking forward to posts from your journey! I've moved back to London and am in the midst of unpacking and sorting out and then renovating our old house. Will look at your YouTube videos soon. Best wishes to you, Karen, and Ekaterina. This is Susie, btw. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

View attachment 126900
Great to see you back on the Camino, Sara! Looking forward to your bridge dances! We're leaving from Leon on June 20 - maybe the timing will be such that I may see you! From a fellow Canadian - Cathy

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello!

View attachment 126795
Super that you are back in action on the CF! Will there be videos with bridges to watch as you go along? Hope so! Stay safe.

Hello!

View attachment 126795
Buen Camino Sarah! You are 2 days from the start i am 1 from the arrivai!! Enjoy

Hello!

View attachment 126795
Sara!!! I remember you from a CCoP event. Have a great walk. We’re ahead of you in Airexe around 75 km to Santiago. Buen Camino Chica!!!

I had the best intentions to post here daily but a few things have gotten in the way - primarily having too much fun and being exhausted from the heat.

My videos have been regular (with the exception of one day with bad wifi). If you want to see what is happening you can go here:
Sara’s Daily Camino Frances Vlog

I’m in Castrojerez tonight.. and the town is packed. I’m in a big bubble of hikers and some have had problems finding lodging. For example a couple had to take a taxi (29 euros each way) from Hornillos back/forth to Rabe for a room.

I have noticed that over 50% of pilgrims are using baggage transfer services. This is much different from when I walked in 2018.

Also, many young people are using buses to keep up longer stages to be with their ‘bubble’ of Camino pals.

It is blazing hot and almost unbearable to walk by 11:00am. Lots of pilgrims with grim looks on their faces trudging through the early afternoon.

The prices of things are much more expensive. It is not unheard of to pay for a can of Coke for 2-3€ from a bar.

Some E-bike people feel they own the Camino track and dangerously zoom around at full speed. It is awful and I have shouted at them multiple times to slow down.

The sculpture at the top of Alto de Perdon IS NOT A BIKE STAND. I forced a number of cyclists to relocated their bikes so exhausted pilgrims could take a nice photo.

The Camino spirit is still alive and well. I adore hearing the stories from pilgrims around the world. I had a communal dinner tonight with a fellow who was in a bad traffic accident and not expect to walk again. After six months of rehab… here he is. :) Absolutely amazing!!!

I have a 4:00am wake up call for 29km walk in the Meseta tomorrow in this heat wave… so goodnight for now!!! :)

Thanks for all your comments!!! Let me know if you have any questions about the being on the Camino Frances currently. I’ll also try to make the next Camino Forum Zoom call!!!!

Wow! I don't know if I should be surprised, it sounds like a very challenging time to walk the Frances, both mentally and physically! I look forward to catching up on your videos later, stay safe and keep hydrated!

Hi Sara, I'm on the Del Norte at the moment, & it's blazing hot, with the same problems with accommodation, the plus side is, that's it quiet, only saw less than a handful of Pilgrims today.
Buen camino
& take care in the heat
Ps
I did the French lady August the meseta was not nice, head down, crack on, think of the cold beer

Tonight I am in Sahagun At one of my favourite Albergue (Santa Cruz)! I was last here in 2019 when I finish the Camino Madrid and have some super special memories. :)

I went to the tourism office and got the halfway Camino Frances certificate. I did not even know such a certificate existed until today. While I was there a Spanish TV program was filming…. so if anyone sees me on TV in Spain let me know!

All the pilgrims in my bubble are just gutted over what is happening in Navarra. We feel so bad for the locals - and hope conditions improve quickly. There has been quite a bit of rain recently in my zone… so the heat wave has been cooling off finally.

Tomorrow will be 30 KM or so 😆 but I hope to be on the Tuesday zoom chat so see you all then!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back