A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

COVID Sara

MarkyD

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés 31/08/2018 - 20/10/2018
Just wanted you to know that Sara Dhooma is home ill with COVID-19. She is posting on her Facebook profile for now.
She is in early stages and hopefully will not need hospitalization.
Keeping her in my prayers and wishing her full recovery.
Get well soon Sara. I've only just started watching your videos on Camino de Madrid, and from what I've seen I would say you are a strong and determined person, so use that positive determination to order your immune defence system into battle. Many more people beat this thing than you can imagine, then you will emerge with the antibodies and be better prepared for the future.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Just a question... Is that on her private profile (for Friends)? I can't see anything on her public pages.
Not sure but I have seen it on her blog too.
I don't see it on her blog

IngridF

Intrepid Peregrina
Camino(s) past & future
2012, 2015 ,2017, 2019
I don't see it on her blog

you might be correct. Only on facebook.

Chris Taggart

Merrill23
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria to Santiago 2013, Leon to Santiago 2018, Porto to Santiago 2019. Pamplona to Burgos (2020)
Sara, so sorry to hear this, take especial care of yourself, get all the rest you can as this will make you even stronger for the adventures to come.
Hope you have a loving support system around you, all the best for your speedy recovery.

Theatregal

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
So far...
2012 ~ 2019
I know that we all want to wish our fellow forum members well and offer support and best wishes for recovery from illness and I certainly am thinking about Sara and wishing her well.

I say this gently. Should we be posting someone's medical information based on facebook or blogs even if it has been posted by the person who is ill? I think that they themselves should share the information on the forum. If they haven't, perhaps there's a reason?

This is the same concern about privacy I had with a recent thread (now closed I believe) speculating why some members hadn't posted in some time.

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
To Santiago and beyond (from home; Voie de Tours; Camino Francés; Biskaya; Manche; Via Brabantica)
I say this gently. Should we be posting someone's medical information based on facebook or blogs even if it has been posted by the person who is ill? I think that they themselves should share the information on the forum. If they haven't, perhaps there's a reason?
If someone posts "I have COVID-19" on a public YouTube channel with 4180 subscribers where numerous others can read it and are not subscribers it is hardly private information. As far as I can tell, the posts in this thread have been wishes for her to get better. But instead of posting about this and voicing concerns, why not contact @Sara_Dhooma directly? She is a member of this forum and, again as anyone can see, she visited the forum as recently as yesterday.

Edited to add: In fact, as I see now, a number of posters in this thread have addressed their post directly to @Sara_Dhooma which ought to alert her to these posts when she logs in.

Last edited:

Theatregal

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
So far...
2012 ~ 2019
Thank you for your thoughts in response to mine, @Kathar1na. With respect, my concerns are about privacy and how we post personal information about someone else regardless of where it may have been announced. Medical information most certainly.

The intent of the original post was obviously one of caring and concern but I don’t consider what someone saw on social media as truth or as permission to move forward with re-posting publicly, information that they have seen on facebook. It’s not our news to give. If we don’t have direct permission from someone to post their information, I don’t think we should. If we do have permission, then it should be stated in the original post.

It was not my intention to derail the thread or interrupt good wishes for Sara.

My thoughts reflect my personal concerns around truth and social media and how destructive it can be.

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
To Santiago and beyond (from home; Voie de Tours; Camino Francés; Biskaya; Manche; Via Brabantica)
The intent of the original post was obviously one of caring and concern but I don’t consider what someone saw on social media as truth or as permission to move forward with re-posting publicly, information that they have seen on facebook. It’s not our news to give. If we don’t have direct permission from someone to post their information, I don’t think we should. If we do have permission, then it should be stated in the original post. It was not my intention to derail the thread or interrupt good wishes for Sara. My thoughts reflect my personal concerns around truth and social media and how destructive it can be.
I fully understand this. But the information is on an open public YouTube channel, and if you followed @Sara_Dhooma's channel in the past, the purpose of this channel is making information available to everyone that I, personally, would regard as private were it me: where I walk, where I drink beer, where I stay for the night, and what all this looks like. We've happily posted and quoted from this very channel: where Sara is now, that it rains and even snows, that she may have to give up that part of the camino where she currently walks. What if she mentions Covid-19 in one of her next videos, instead of just mentioning it in writing under the long list of her videos? Quotable or not?

Also, we are supposed to be a community. If you know that someone is ill in your community and that person is not making a secret of it, would you keep it to yourself or share it with others in your community who also know the person?

Just food for thought 😇. But ... I am happy to delete the link to the YouTube Channel and have done so just now.

Last edited:

Theatregal

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
So far...
2012 ~ 2019
I fully understand this. But the information is on an open public YouTube channel, and if you followed @Sara_Dhooma's channel in the past, the purpose of this channel is making information available to everyone that I, personally, would regard as private where it me: where I walk, where I drink beer, where I stay for the night, and what all this looks like. We've happily posted and quoted from this very channel: where Sara is now, that it rains and even snows, that she may have to give up that part of the camino where she currently walks. What if she mentions Covid-19 in one of her next videos, instead of just mentioning it in writing under the long list of her videos? Quotable or not?

Also, we are supposed to be a community. If you know that someone is ill in your community and that person is not making a secret of it, would you keep it to yourself or share it with others in your community who also know the person?

Just food for thought. 😇 But ... I am happy to delete the link to the YouTube Channel and have done so just now.
Ah yes...in our current world, the lines around truth and privacy are blurring beyond my comfort zone.

I would certainly share the information with my community in an open public way only if I had direct permission from the person to do so.

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
Ah yes...in our current world, the lines around truth and privacy are blurring beyond my comfort zone.
This may be true for you but I don't see it like this. Finding the truth, i.e. pure facts, in all the chaff is amazingly easy in our current world for a normal citizen, easier than ever before. Protection of privacy of normal citizens is an issue but to a large extent, it is up to each of us to decide how much we want to put out there.

Camino(s) past & future
2002, Toulouse/Aragon 2005, Cami S Jaume/Aragon 2007/9, Mont Saint Michel/Norte/Vadiniense 2011, Norte/Primitivo 2013, Norte/Primitivo 2014. Norte 2015, Cami S Jaume/Castellano-Aragonese 2016
There is an interesting discussion to be had about online privacy (do I use a pseudonym??) but I have long enjoyed @Sara_Dhooma's spontaneous and hilarious youtube postings, and I hope that she's soon to be safely recovered and enjoying the benefits of quarantine-- may her 14 days pass as quickly as did mine.

David Tallan

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (1989 and 2016), Portugues - from Porto (2018)
@Theatregal @Kathar1na I think we all wish to respect Sara's wishes regarding the communication of her medical situation. Had Sara only posted the information on Facebook in a "friends only" post (or a 'friends of friends" post), a reasonable conclusion would be that she wanted only her friends (or their friends) to know and it shouldn't be posted publicly here. On the other hand, if she posted on Facebook with the privacy setting set to "Public", or on the public Internet, I think that a reasonable conclusion is that she is not too concerned with who might be seeing the information. Posting publicly to YouTube (which she did here) inclines me to the latter conclusion.

That said, I look forward to the time when Covid is no longer a concern to her and she can lead the life she wishes to.

C clearly

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016), VDLP (2017), Mozarabe (2018), Vasco/Bayona (2019)
I agree with both @Theatregal and @Kathar1na, as well as @ebrant. Some judgement is appropriate in handling these situations. Sara has been quite clear that she is happy to increase her followers and that the information is public, but we should still respect her wish to control the information she puts out. When we first pass along this information, it is a good idea to specifically say what the source was.

Last edited:

IngridF

Intrepid Peregrina
Camino(s) past & future
2012, 2015 ,2017, 2019
Oh boy... I am getting really close to leaving this forum. Anybody who knows me, knows I don't post often and when I do it is for a cause or a person. Knowing Sarah, she would have contacted me to remove my post about this.
I thought it would be nice for all of us to rally around her and at least wishing her well and for those who pray to include her in your prayers.
So I wish you all well. Stay safe!

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (14), Portuguese (15), Le Puy (17), Ingles (17), VDLP (18), Lana (18), Madrid (19) + more
Hello everyone and thank you all for your well wishes. ❤ Ingrid especially!!! You are a loving, kind soul. 🌸

I am day six of being sick and it is still difficult for me to focus on a screen. I previously logged into the forum briefly for the ‘Albergue Assistance Project’ but I did not see this thread.

As a former privacy officer for a medical facility, I truly appreciate the concern. ❤ However, I don’t have any objection to my personal COVID-19 status as being public. I wrote a quick note on my public YouTube page to let people know why I am currently absent from being online.

Thank you again and I will be back in forum after I have recovered. 💜

C clearly

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016), VDLP (2017), Mozarabe (2018), Vasco/Bayona (2019)
Oh boy... I am getting really close to leaving this forum. Anybody who knows me, knows I don't post often and when I do it is for a cause or a person. Knowing Sarah, she would have contacted me to remove my post about this.
I thought it would be nice for all of us to rally around her and at least wishing her well and for those who pray to include her in your prayers.
I am very glad that you posted this news! It was entirely appropriate. Some of the people who commented or questioned it, including myself, were seeking clarification and a way to follow Sara's news. The questions/comments about privacy were still valid, especially for people who don't "know" either you or Sara. (As you said, anybody who knows you would know your intentions, but not everyone on the forum does.) Privacy is a difficult issue we all wrestle with, and we need to continually address it.

Camino(s) past & future
CF August to September 2016
Just wanted you to know that Sara Dhooma is home ill with COVID-19. She is posting on her Facebook profile for now.
She is in early stages and hopefully will not need hospitalization.
Keeping her in my prayers and wishing her full recovery.
Sara thinking of you and praying for a speedy recovery. 🙏🙏

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
As you said, anybody who knows you would know your intentions, but not everyone on the forum does.
Very true! I do recognize @IngridF's profile picture, but I'm sorry to say that I don't know much about her. Hopefully that can change in the future! 😊

JRO

Camino(s) past & future
santiago to muxia
Just a question... Is that on her private profile (for Friends)? I can't see anything on her public pages.
I found her Facebook page just by searching "Sara Dhooma, Canada". Last post 4/30/20...said she was feeling better, but had had chest Xray that showed COVID pneumonia lung pattern.

Camino(s) past & future
Cam Frances SJPDP to Santiago ('17): Finisterre ('17); Muxia ('17): Camino Portuguese ('19)
Sara, I can only imagine how difficult it is for someone so physically accomplished to lay low to rest and heal. It sounds as if moss never grows under your feet! Heal completely and then blaze another trail! My very best wishes...and Buen Camino (as the Happy Trails to You song keeps replaying in my head! Roy Rogers and Dale Evans probably don’t resonate with someone of your years.)

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Muxia-Fisterra 2017
Portuguese 2018, Catalan 2019, (Mozarabe-VdlP-Sanabres-Ingles, 2021)
I’ve never met you, but I feel that I know you through all of your posts and YouTube contributions. Your positivity, energy, enthusiasm and love of life simply shine through and inspire the rest of us mere mortals. You’ve certainly had a great influence on me. Stay strong, and get well soon.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (14), Portuguese (15), Le Puy (17), Ingles (17), VDLP (18), Lana (18), Madrid (19) + more
Thank you so much everyone!!!!!! 💗

A little more time taking it easy - and I will be recovered! I am truly blessed to have so many wonderful people send good wishes during my time of healing. 🥰

I know I am feeling better when I start thinking about planning my next Camino(s). Today I pulled out my old credentials and relived some amazing memories looking at the stamps.

Camino(s) past & future
Cam Frances SJPDP to Santiago ('17): Finisterre ('17); Muxia ('17): Camino Portuguese ('19)
😘
Thank you so much everyone!!!!!! 💗

A little more time taking it easy - and I will be recovered! I am truly blessed to have so many wonderful people send good wishes during my time of healing. 🥰

I know I am feeling better when I start thinking about planning my next Camino(s). Today I pulled out my old credentials and relived some amazing memories looking at the stamps.
😘

Camino(s) past & future
Sept. 14 - Oct. 28/18 CF
Keep on keeping on. Hopefully you and all of us will be able to get back to the great outdoors and have our energy replenished.

Take care and heal quickly.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 29.0%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock