• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sarah from New Zealand -What drew you to the Camino?

SarahTheKiwi

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning 2024 Camino Frances
Hi I've been lurking for a while, absorbing everything that is Camino! This is my first post. I'm aiming to do my first Camino in 2025 when I am 50, which will most likely be solo (ekk!).

I am at a cross roads - I feel that five weeks of upright meditation (walking) will allow me to ponder my place in the world (family, career, spirituality).

I have soooo many questions! But maybe one to start with: how were you drawn to the Camino? For me I am being strongly drawn in a way I cannot explain to walk the Camino (Frances). I feel I will get the answer when I get there!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am walking my first Camino (the Camino Frances) in a few weeks. I am 49 now so I feel you on the age and timing! What drew me is complicated but I first became aware about 10 years ago and now I am finally getting to do it. Priority wise I have always been a father and husband first. At this point in my life my oldest is 24 and getting married a few weeks after I return home. I have another daughter in college at age 20, another daughter 15, and a son 13. My wife graciously is supportive of me finally doing something for just me. I would say the last time I've done that was when I was in my early 20s haha. I just felt a drive to push my self to do something that was important to me. I have used commitments and responsibilities as an excuse not to do things for far too long.

I agree with your last statetment. I think you'll find your answer once you are there.

Buen Camino.

It was a rainy, wintery Sunday afternoon 2014 in Boise, Idaho. My husband suffers major depressive disorder and I suggested we watch a movie together. We watched A little known movie called The Way and he turned to me at the end with tears and said "I think we should do that."

We saved and planned for 2 years. We walked 45 days in 2016 and it was a therapy that has brought us back now 7 times. We serve now as volunteer hospitaleros and also walk a little each year as pilgrims. It is a tonic for the soul.

Enjoy your planning.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have soooo many questions! But maybe one to start with: how were you drawn to the Camino? For me I am being strongly drawn in a way I cannot explain to walk the Camino (Frances). I feel I will get the answer when I get there!
Somewhere between where you start and Santiago, something will change. The process has already started for you, so call yourself a pilgrim now.

@SirRon, I must add that my children will be 16 and 12 at the time in 2025. I have queried this with my children's father and he is fully supportive and encouraging of my need to do the Camino. This will be the first time in a long time I have done something for "myself", and I will return as a better person and mother. It's not an easy decision and I know some may criticise, but I could get run over by a bus tomorrow!

Like you am strongly drawn to walk. I first heard about the Camino when I was in college, but didn't make a mark on me.

Fast forward to the beginning of the Pandemic lockdown I participated in a virtual sketching group and one of the group sketches was to pick a scene or 2 from google street view from SJPDP to Pamplona an sketch them. Since then I've been "hooked".

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi I've been lurking for a while, absorbing everything that is Camino! This is my first post. I'm aiming to do my first Camino in 2025 when I am 50, which will most likely be solo (ekk!).

I am at a cross roads - I feel that five weeks of upright meditation (walking) will allow me to ponder my place in the world (family, career, spirituality).

Hi Sarah, I did my first 500 mile Camino at age 72 in 2012--alone. It was wonderful and I made a lot of friends--many of whom "looked after me" when it seemed that I needed looking after. Since then, I've done (solo) two others; 2015 and 2017. Now, I'm planning what will probably be my last Camino this coming summer. (I'm definitely NOT that same woman who started out in 2012!!) I plan to start in Paris and walk towards Bordeaux) This time, however, I plan to walk shorter distances and enjoy all there is to see along the way. I plan to take my time.

You may never truly discern why you are drawn to walk, but the fact that you are is reason enough. The wonderful thing is that you will carry the "Camino feeling" always--and you will never truly leave the Camino. It's the best!! And I wish you all the best. Be safe, be alert, enjoy!

Sarah,
I did my first Camino at 60, now on my 6th, aged 69. Private message me if you want to chat. I'll be back in NZ early July. Just remember, it's addictive.

Bernice

I walked in 2012, just before turning 53. I had long wanted to walk the camino as I had seen pilgrims years before when visiting friends in Logrono.
I walked after having taken care of my mother for the last two years of her life. My mom was a great walker and she often said a rosary during walks when I was growing up. It was in her honor that I started my walk.
As I reflect on my camino from 2012, I realize that there was something more that happened. I learned that I could do something different. In the last ten years I have gotten a college degree, married for the first time, started a career that fits my mission and bought a house with my husband. It has been an amazing journey after the amazing journey of the camino.
Now, 11 years later, I am preparing to walk again. I wonder what will crack open. I feel so much gratitude for a life supports my desire to do this pilgrimage.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

The Camino
by Ricardo Moretti

It started as an idea that became a dream.

Fondly, I embraced the adventure of the Way
Etched by the footsteps of a 1,000 years and more.

It wasn’t without its ups and downs,
and there were many,
But the hard parts made easy
by simple pilgrim smiles and the beauty of life.

The end is here
and I have learned something:
I can be more than what I was.

A reality well-hidden
but found on my rocky path
called the Camino.

@SirRon, I must add that my children will be 16 and 12 at the time in 2025. I have queried this with my children's father and he is fully supportive and encouraging of my need to do the Camino. This will be the first time in a long time I have done something for "myself", and I will return as a better person and mother. It's not an easy decision and I know some may criticise, but I could get run over by a bus tomorrow!
agreed!

I was drawn to the Camino in different ways at different times in my life.

When I was young and living in Spain I was drawn to the medieval heritage of the Camino. What drew me was the idea of following in the footsteps of medieval pilgrims, reenacting their journey and seeing what was left of what had been built to support them.

When I was much older and settled, having left my young backpacking days behind me for a home, a family, and a career, what drew me to a certain extent was reviving the traveller I had been in my youth. I found myself researching the Camino and following the route from end to end on Google Earth. The idea of time and space away from it all was also attractive. My son picked up the call from me and helped turn it into a reality.

Since then each Camino draws me inexorably towards the next.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Hi Sarah,

Just out of curiosity but why wait two years more just so that you could make it to an even-numbered but rather arbitrary milestone age to begin walking something you clearly want to do. Are there other reasons you need to wait that long? Incidentally you and I are about the same age in fact I was born a year earlier than you. I walked the whole of the Camino Frances and Camino Portuguese and the Fisherman’s Trail this year from January to March with practically no planning or training and very little preparation, even buying the ticket to Bordeaux the day before and it was really great. I planned so little that I had no sleeping bag with me and had to buy one from the monastery at Roncesvalles. I managed to forget my waterproof jacket and my fleece jacket at a rest stop en route to the city I flew out of. And I walked it solo as well but made many friends some of whom I still chat with on the phone and via text. And the reason I ask is in the end I went and it all worked out ajd I personally wondered why I hadn’t just gone and done it earlier? If you are at a crossroads it won’t do you much good to stand and wait two years before trying to find your way thought it? Hope you don’t mind me asking. Have a nice time!

Best.

Justin

It was a rainy, wintery Sunday afternoon 2014 in Boise, Idaho. My husband suffers major depressive disorder and I suggested we watch a movie together. We watched A little known movie called The Way and he turned to me at the end with tears and said "I think we should do that."

We saved and planned for 2 years. We walked 45 days in 2016 and it was a therapy that has brought us back now 7 times. We serve now as volunteer hospitaleros and also walk a little each year as pilgrims. It is a tonic for the soul.

Enjoy your planning.
Like you the idea to undertake the Camino formed after watching the film The Way. I knew very little about the Camino beforehand. I then had a bad flare up of arthritis which resulted in a major operation. I saw the Camino as a way to draw a line under the chronic pain I had experienced the previous 2 years. I cycled part of the camino Frances with my best friend. It’s one of the most cathartic things I have ever done. I loved every minute of it despite the aching joints and have gone on to cycle the Portuguese coastal and Northern camino‘s. You will get so much out of doing this and like many before you it may change your outlook on life going forward. Have a wonderful time my friend .. you will love it.

Well Done. "lurking" is good, I'm off there in a few months time. There comes a time when you must lurk no more but walk.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'd never even heard of the Camino until late last year. Oh, I knew that people went on pilgrimage, but to me that meant Lorde's, Mecca, or Fatima... . I'm still adjusting to a new stage in my life, and out of sheer boredom I turned to YouTube one fateful winter's day. I looked at a couple of videos on the PCT, and then the algorithm threw up a video of a lovely person walking .. ..... the Camino. She was - is - delightful, and very engaging. I watched more - and more. Nadine, from Nadine walks. Got off the couch after a few videos and went for a walk. Walked the Inglès just 2 months later. I'm hooked. And very, very grateful 🇳🇿

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Sarah,

Just out of curiosity but why wait two years more just so that you could make it to an even-numbered but rather arbitrary milestone age to begin walking something you clearly want to do. Are there other reasons you need to wait that long? Incidentally you and I are about the same age in fact I was born a year earlier than you. I walked the whole of the Camino Frances and Camino Portuguese and the Fisherman’s Trail this year from January to March with practically no planning or training and very little preparation, even buying the ticket to Bordeaux the day before and it was really great. I planned so little that I had no sleeping bag with me and had to buy one from the monastery at Roncesvalles. I managed to forget my waterproof jacket and my fleece jacket at a rest stop en route to the city I flew out of. And I walked it solo as well but made many friends some of whom I still chat with on the phone and via text. And the reason I ask is in the end I went and it all worked out ajd I personally wondered why I hadn’t just gone and done it earlier? If you are at a crossroads it won’t do you much good to stand and wait two years before trying to find your way thought it? Hope you don’t mind me asking. Have a nice time!

Best.

Justin
Hi Justin. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm not considering doing the camino "because" I will be 50, but that will happen to be my age. I have chosen 2025 as I already have a short trip overseas trip planned for 2024 with a friend (to celebrate our 50th). The price of travel from NZ is astronomical.... I'm also trying to allow for the effects of Covid to dissipate..... in terms of airfare prices and saturation on the camino, and avoiding the busier "holy years". Hope this answers your question.

Hi Sarah
Fellow Kiwi (almost) and I'm heading back for my 3rd Camino in August. This time taking my wife for her 1st. We walked the Otago rail trail together last year and she "got it". So I'm super excited to share the experience with her. Don't worry about the solo aspect, in some way it's actually better the first time. I say the first time because you will probably go back. Don't overthink it, and don't stress about every last detail. When you finally put your pack together throw out half of it, I guarantee you won't need it.
Not everybody has an awakening, and that's OK. Enjoy the path, enjoy your journey, and enjoy the people.
You will love it.
Carl

Hi Sarah,

Best.

Justin
Hi Sarah,

Best.

Justin
Hi Justin. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm not considering doing the camino "because" I will be 50, but that will happen to be my age. I have chosen 2025 as I already have a short trip overseas trip planned for 2024 with a friend (to celebrate our 50th). The price of travel from NZ is astronomical.... I'm also trying to allow for the effects of Covid to dissipate..... in terms of airfare prices and saturation on the camino, and avoiding the busier "holy years". Hope this answers your question.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

I was definitely called to Camino, I now live in Spain and book others! Just do it don't question. There must be many answers waiting. Buen Camino

If you’re based in Auckland
Her profile says Invercargill.

Hi Sarah

Buen Camino and welcome to the forum.

The first time that I heard the Camino mentioned something called me and I knew that I would walk it.

My advice is to accept being called and don't try to analyse it too much. Just answer the call.

Hi Sarah, Lyn from Gisborne. I did 400kms of the Camino in 2018 and I leave on August 19 for the full walk starting SJPD 22 August. If you are on facebook we could catch up if you want any help with your walk.

Hi Sarah from NZ, I’m a married woman from California. My first (and BEST!) Camino was solo when I was fifty. The first pilgrim I met was a teenage guy from Germany, and the next was a thirty year old Italian woman. We ended up sharing a farmhouse room on the first night in StJPdP (which was awkward for me… uh, sharing with a GUY?!!). It turned out we three made a wonderful trio and walked in each other’s company off and on for weeks. We would never have come together but for the Camino. So, my advice is to let go of any ideas about yourself, and just go find whatever awaits you.

Don’t laugh, but first encountered El Camino de Santiago by Shirley MacLaine. I have always been a big fan and saw her interview in the early 90s. I thought at the time it was an impossible task – all smoke and mirrors on her part. Not so. About 15 years ago I started the truly believe it was doable, and something I really wanted to do. I know that my mum did walks thru France and Spain in her youth, she is sadly gone, but hopefully my steps will overlap hers somewhere along the way – mine starts in Oct, cant wait.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

On my first Camino, I was drawn by what I heard about and read about online.
I started by myself and it appears to me that about 50% start solo. I only had 2 weeks to walk and it was so painful not to be able to continue on. It was addictive!!!
I did a 2nd Camino with my ex, and the 3rd Camino solo. When you are solo, initially you may be a little lonely, but eventually you tend to settle in with a few people--sometimes staying with 1 or 2 people's, at other times one/some may stop to rest, or walk farther than you. Then you meet more people. But it seems to all work out, and I still stay in touch with a few people. On my other solo Camino, I really used my (usually) morning to pray/think/contemplate. This was invaluable.

Hi Sarah.. fellow kiwi here and I see there have been a lot of reponses to your post! Thats great! I wanted to do the Camino for my 60th so took myself over to Spain this time last year and walked from Leon to SdC. I intended to walk alone... but as they say you meet all sorts which is fab because you can choose to start out alone..or with others... but it gives you options. You will absolutely love it! I cant wait to get back.. and yep.. be doing it solo again. Have fun!

2025? So much can happen in life between now and then. When it comes time, just let the Camino unfold. I've been walking and accompanying groups since 2012 and am 62. Don't overplan; don't overthink; don't become self-absorbed. These will all kill the experience. A few months before your trip, book your flight, and just go. But then, you know what they say about advice, right? "Wise men don't need it and fools don't heed it." :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Sarah. Don’t worry about when you are doing it. Just do it in your own time at your own convenience, people need to bear in mind that if you have a family other people will be affected. It’s not really anybody else’s business why and when you are doing it. Apart from the physical and mental preparation I would try to learn a few words of conversational Spanish as that can ease your passage. If not don’t worry. A smile and hand gestures often suffice and many people speak English. Have a great time and ENJOY it. Ultreia!

Not long after my first Camino (2017) I stumbled on some advice urging pilgrims to use their time on the Camino to make peace with their past... In retrospect, this was prophetic advice for me (even though I didnt know about it at the time) - I mulled over an event of 45 years prior that had haunted me ever since during a rather long and relatively featureless stretch of path, and I mapped out a way forward such that the 'monkey' was largely lifted from my back..

It sounds very much as if you are already part-way down this path... Good luck with your meditations!

Last edited:

Hello Sara and all,

I subscribed to this a while back but stopped and got this post out of the blue. I thought it quite fitting as there are so many replies from KIWI's and my son is in NZ.

I am also drawn to walk the camino or just walk, purhaps a throwback to the Romans? I am getting on a bit and have a kidney transplant but otherwise quite fit. I can't get off the starting block as lifes events overtake all. I did start small walks 12km locally through wood land and back about half a day during lock down.

I like prefer the idea of walking "alone" (its crowded by all accounts) but maybe need support and others to get going.

Good luck anyway.

Hi Sarah,
I walked my first camino in 2016 (a long trek including the camino frances) and like you was at a crossroads at the time, albeit in different ways. I've been walking caminos ever since, my next starting this June.
You're right though, I couldn't explain the draw either, but I learnt a valuable lesson, which is...once I stopped asking questions, so the answers came! Now I just go with it, very little planning and expect a miracle.
Best wishes,
David Nathan

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

I hiked some last summer at age 54. It was my first solo trip. The Camino was the most perfect thing for me to do alone. Just perfect. You can be with people if you wish or you can have alone time and all the while other pilgrims are a safety net and watch out for one another. (Yes complete strangers watch out for one another) I was so nervous to go alone and it was the best thing I’ve ever done!

I did it in 2014, two days after I turned 40. I was immigrating back to South Africa after 18 years in the UK. Seemed like a fitting homage to the Europe that I had so loved. I was burnt out, overweight and suffering with depression. I needed something. I found out about the Camino and started walking a month later from SJPDP. Best thing I could have ever done for myself at that time. Started on 29 September, arrived in Santiago on 10 November. Found so much of myself along The Way. And I've carried it with me every day since.

You will get so many answers when you get there. Buen Camino.

20230512_150910.jpg

I have soooo many questions! But maybe one to start with: how were you drawn to the Camino? For me I am being strongly drawn in a way I cannot explain to walk the Camino (Frances). I feel I will get the answer when I get there

Hi Sarah,

What drew us to the Camino? I don't really know to be honest. We love walking here in England, though nothing to this extent. We love Spain, we like a challenge. Neither of us are religiously minded.
So, we are doing the Ingles in September and really looking forward to the experience.
I think approaching this open minded and willing to take on whatever it brings is how we are thinking.
Can't wait.
Mark & Caroline

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have soooo many questions! But maybe one to start with: how were you drawn to the Camino?

Hi from Whanganui a Tara, and the hills that have been important to my training.

For me it started in 2001 when my partner handed me the then latest issue of Tui Motu. There was an article about walking in northern Spain written a cleric I had met in an earlier life.

In 2010 I was off to Europe for two family weddings. And I went several weeks early so I could hire a car and wander around the WW1 Belgium and French battle fields with Kiwi connections and to see what the walk in Spain involved.

I arrived in Burgos on late on the last Friday in June and parked up just west of the Cathedral to sleep in the car that night. About sunrise I was looking at the intersection about 50 metres away and saw a chap with a backpack cross in front of me, and then another. I was pleased they had the hikers tradition of getting away at the start of the day - this felt comfortable. Long story short: by night down I was at a motel in Sarria having see the stained glass windows in Leon and watched the pilgrims on the ridge after O'Cebreiro getting their wet weather gear on. On Sunday morning I was at Compostela ditching the car and getting a bus to Lugo and another to Sarria. And by late afternoon I was on the deck of an albergue talking to a young American whose sister had visited New Zealand. That casual chat set the tone for a lot of what happened in the years since.

I was dreadfully unfit and overweight but I had the forethought to take a small back pack with a sleeping bag and limited range of clothing changes. I had many small adventures, including not been able to walk up the steps in Portomarin. Come the Friday, I was at the pilgrims office and had my Compostela.

A few years later, my now late wife got very bad health news and a few weeks later she told me, "when I am gone you could do that walk in northern Spain". My first training walk was a few weeks later and I realised I had a lot of work ahead of me. But, by early April 2016 I had got me and my gear as sorted as it was going to be and was starting out from the Cathedral at Le Puy-en-Velay with about 1,600 km ahead of me.

Nga mihi (that's all, for the present). Kia kaha (take care, be strong)

Hi from Whanganui a Tara, and the hills that have been important to my training.

My first training walk was a few weeks later and I realised I had a lot of work ahead of me. But, by early April 2016 I had got me and my gear as sorted as it was going to be and was starting out from the Cathedral at Le Puy-en-Velay with about 1,600 km ahead of me.

Nga mihi (that's all, for the present). Kia kaha (take care, be strong)
Thank you for sharing - you have a lot of stories in there AW (hope ok calling you that, us Aussies we shorten everything 🤣 ) I would be interested to here about Via Francigena. I'm coming to the Camino late, but that ones on my list.

My gosh people! I've never received such a warm welcome on a forum. Thank you so much for responding. If the camino is anything like all of you, it will be a lifetime experience!
You can be sure, it will.

My first was 2017.
Much older then you Sarah but going strong and no intention of stopping.
Back there later this year to complete the Frances, to Finisterre.
Solo again this time, but that makes no difference. No one stays solo for long, unless they choose to.
Can't wait to get there and start walking.
Good luck and happy planning...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well I'm back! After a few more days of pondering I've have decided to bring the trip forward to around end April - May 2024 - there is no reason to delay! I've got lots more questions, and maybe it is a good idea not to open up lots of new threads? I've found out that some of the aubergues don't have heating! (Not sure how to find out which ones, or how frequent this is?) I would like to know what night temperatures are like (April/May). I'm presuming still a bit fresh?

For those who flew via New Zealand, I would be interested to hear what route you took to SJPDP - via Paris, London or somewhere else, and the easiest way home after SdC? I can't book flights until June - so plenty of time to settle dates and routes. I'm keen to avoid major festivals/holidays/anything that could cause accommodation anxiety. Please forgive me if I've broken any rules and should have started a new thread - your guidance is welcome.

For those who flew via New Zealand, I would be interested to hear what route you took to SJPDP - via Paris, London or somewhere else, and the easiest way home after SdC? I can't book flights until June - so plenty of time to settle dates and routes. I'm keen to avoid major festivals/holidays/anything that could cause accommodation anxiety. Please forgive me if I've broken any rules and should have started a new thread - your guidance is welcome.
In 2019 I flew via Dubai on Emirates to Madrid, stayed overnight in Dubai to recover after the 17 hour flight. If you select a set of flights that has more than 12 hour layover in Dubai then Emirates provides free accommodation but you need to tell them at the time that you buy your ticket and so either buy it via a travel agent and make sure that the travel agent knows that you want the free overnight in Dubai or book it yourself direct with Emirates but make sure that you know how to request the free overnight so that you can add it to your reservation. You can not request the free overnight once you arrive in Dubai.

I also stayed overnight in Madrid to recover and I stayed close to Atocha station in Madrid which seems like a reasonable area of the city to stay in. I have a Google Maps list of accommodation in Madrid or search on this site because there are lots of recommendations at lots of different price points. The place that I stayed in that first night in Madrid I would not recommend as they were renorvating the place and it was full of Gib Board dust everywhere. On my return I stayed at a much nicer place in the same area with a very small and clean private room.

After my night in Madrid I caught a train to Pamplona. I can't remember if you mentioned your age but if over 60 then you can get a Pensioner card which you buy that gets you cheaper train fares. They also have Tourist class train fares that are much cheaper than ordinary fares but they need to be pre-booked ahead of time and they sell out fast so if you find one then take it.

I caught a very early train from Madrid. In Pamplona I arrived (in May) early enough to catch the bus to St. Jean. There is only one bus per day from Pamplona to St. Jean. I walked from the train station to the bus station in Pamplona. It wasn't difficult. Check what dates the bus to St. Jean starts because it doesn't run all year and it may not run in April. You can also taxi to St. Jean and sometimes you can find someone to share with but it is expensive to taxi. Your alternatives are Bus to Roncesvalles and either start from there or walk to St. Jean and walk back again; walk from Pamplona to St. Jean, quite doable because you are going to turn around and walk back again or start from Pamplona.

I flew back from Madrid, didn't get an overnight in Dubai because I thought that I only had a two hour wait before catching the NZ flight but the flight to Dubai was delayed and so I missed the intended flight to NZ and had to wait 10 hours in the airport before Emirates routed me on an alternate flight home via Melbourne. I vowed "Never again", I was over 52 hours from leaving Madrid to getting into Auckland, I never slept and it just about killed me as I dragged myself home on the bus.

The only slight good thing was that Emirates emailed me just before I checked-in in Madrid with an offer of an upgrade to business class for the leg from Madrid to Dubai (short leg) which I accepted and paid for, I think about NZ$400.

If 2024 is anything like this year then April may be crowded between St. Jean and Pamplona so consider making reservations. In 2019 I left St. Jean on the busiest day in May and got through without reservations everywhere except St. Jean. Depends how resourceful you are if you want to take that option. I did take two days to walk from St. Jean to Roncesvalles, I walked half way and then caught a shuttle back to St. Jean then the next morning the shuttle dropped me back at the halfway point and so I arrived in Roncesvalles nice and early and got one of the few non reserved beds. Roncesvalles do hold a few beds back for walk in pilgrims but you need to get there early and wait in line.

Getting from Santiago de Compostela to Madrid I caught the high speed train and it was great. Very enjoyable at over 100+klms/hr or faster in places. I hadn't prebooked and it was booked out the day that I wanted to leave Santiago and so I stayed an extra night in Santiago (recommended) and took the fast train the next day. There are lots of recommendations for accommodation in Santiago here on the forum. I was lucky enough to be invited to stay with a friend and so I spent a couple of days exploring Santiago (recommended). Don't be in a rush to leave Santiago, you will want a couple of days to wind down. It is a significant event to walk from St. Jean and so don't spoil that by not allowing enough time to sit and contemplate what you have just completed.

I also allowed time to explore Madrid for a couple of days on the way home and that is definately worth it. I allowed a couple of extra weeks on at the end and I ended up using them in a variety of ways. There is plenty of things to do in Spain and it is a long way from home so don't rush home.

This year I am leaving in a week and flying via Shanghai with Virgin Atlantic who codeshare with Air NZ. Two 12 hour legs to get to London where I am overnighting then flying to Madrid where I will start walking the Camino Madrid. I will be in Spain for 12 weeks and I will walk another Camino or two as well as the Madrid.

I hope that this gives you some starting ideas.

In 2019 I flew via Dubai on Emirates to Madrid, stayed overnight in Dubai to recover after the 17 hour flight. If you select a set of flights that has more than 12 hour layover in Dubai then Emirates provides free accommodation but you need to tell them at the time that you buy your ticket and so either buy it via a travel agent and make sure that the travel agent knows that you want the free overnight in Dubai or book it yourself direct with Emirates but make sure that you know how to request the free overnight so that you can add it to your reservation. You can not request the free overnight once you arrive in Dubai.

I also stayed overnight in Madrid to recover and I stayed close to Atocha station in Madrid which seems like a reasonable area of the city to stay in. I have a Google Maps list of accommodation in Madrid or search on this site because there are lots of recommendations at lots of different price points. The place that I stayed in that first night in Madrid I would not recommend as they were renorvating the place and it was full of Gib Board dust everywhere. On my return I stayed at a much nicer place in the same area with a very small and clean private room.

After my night in Madrid I caught a train to Pamplona. I can't remember if you mentioned your age but if over 60 then you can get a Pensioner card which you buy that gets you cheaper train fares. They also have Tourist class train fares that are much cheaper than ordinary fares but they need to be pre-booked ahead of time and they sell out fast so if you find one then take it.

I caught a very early train from Madrid. In Pamplona I arrived (in May) early enough to catch the bus to St. Jean. There is only one bus per day from Pamplona to St. Jean. I walked from the train station to the bus station in Pamplona. It wasn't difficult. Check what dates the bus to St. Jean starts because it doesn't run all year and it may not run in April. You can also taxi to St. Jean and sometimes you can find someone to share with but it is expensive to taxi. Your alternatives are Bus to Roncesvalles and either start from there or walk to St. Jean and walk back again; walk from Pamplona to St. Jean, quite doable because you are going to turn around and walk back again or start from Pamplona.

I flew back from Madrid, didn't get an overnight in Dubai because I thought that I only had a two hour wait before catching the NZ flight but the flight to Dubai was delayed and so I missed the intended flight to NZ and had to wait 10 hours in the airport before Emirates routed me on an alternate flight home via Melbourne. I vowed "Never again", I was over 52 hours from leaving Madrid to getting into Auckland, I never slept and it just about killed me as I dragged myself home on the bus.

The only slight good thing was that Emirates emailed me just before I checked-in in Madrid with an offer of an upgrade to business class for the leg from Madrid to Dubai (short leg) which I accepted and paid for, I think about NZ$400.

If 2024 is anything like this year then April may be crowded between St. Jean and Pamplona so consider making reservations. In 2019 I left St. Jean on the busiest day in May and got through without reservations everywhere except St. Jean. Depends how resourceful you are if you want to take that option. I did take two days to walk from St. Jean to Roncesvalles, I walked half way and then caught a shuttle back to St. Jean then the next morning the shuttle dropped me back at the halfway point and so I arrived in Roncesvalles nice and early and got one of the few non reserved beds. Roncesvalles do hold a few beds back for walk in pilgrims but you need to get there early and wait in line.

Getting from Santiago de Compostela to Madrid I caught the high speed train and it was great. Very enjoyable at over 100+klms/hr or faster in places. I hadn't prebooked and it was booked out the day that I wanted to leave Santiago and so I stayed an extra night in Santiago (recommended) and took the fast train the next day. There are lots of recommendations for accommodation in Santiago here on the forum. I was lucky enough to be invited to stay with a friend and so I spent a couple of days exploring Santiago (recommended). Don't be in a rush to leave Santiago, you will want a couple of days to wind down. It is a significant event to walk from St. Jean and so don't spoil that by not allowing enough time to sit and contemplate what you have just completed.

I also allowed time to explore Madrid for a couple of days on the way home and that is definately worth it. I allowed a couple of extra weeks on at the end and I ended up using them in a variety of ways. There is plenty of things to do in Spain and it is a long way from home so don't rush home.

This year I am leaving in a week and flying via Shanghai with Virgin Atlantic who codeshare with Air NZ. Two 12 hour legs to get to London where I am overnighting then flying to Madrid where I will start walking the Camino Madrid. I will be in Spain for 12 weeks and I will walk another Camino or two as well as the Madrid.

I hope that this gives you some starting ideas.
Wow gosh! Lots of ideas! Thank you. I've just found out the Paris Olympics is in 2024, luckily a bit later than I intend to walk the Camino. Not sure if it will have an effect.

I wonder how many people use the luggage forwarding service? I'm in two minds about this. Although I know it is quite reliable, I would rather be self sufficient. I'm trying to envision SJPDP to Roncesvalles in my head - whether to break it in two - and also there isn't a luggage transfer service from SJPDP, but that's definitely where I want to start. Don't intend planning the whole walk in great detail, but certainly the first 2 to 3 days.

I hadn't thought of arriving through Madrid. It is certainly an option, depending on what airliner I get. I love Emirates and Dubai!

Wow gosh! Lots of ideas! Thank you. I've just found out the Paris Olympics is in 2024, luckily a bit later than I intend to walk the Camino. Not sure if it will have an effect.

I wonder how many people use the luggage forwarding service? I'm in two minds about this. Although I know it is quite reliable, I would rather be self sufficient. I'm trying to envision SJPDP to Roncesvalles in my head - whether to break it in two - and also there isn't a luggage transfer service from SJPDP, but that's definitely where I want to start. Don't intend planning the whole walk in great detail, but certainly the first 2 to 3 days.

I hadn't thought of arriving through Madrid. It is certainly an option, depending on what airliner I get. I love Emirates and Dubai!
I would advise trying to carry your stuff in a backpack, if you think you might be up for it. There is a lot to be learned from the experience: how we all tend to think we need more than we do, how the excess weighs us down, how little we really need to get by and be happy. And there is also something to be said for being self-sufficient. And the freedom to decide where you want to stop each day. If you find you aren't up for it, you can always start having your luggage transferred part way through your Camino.

If this is your first Camino, I would recommend booking a stop at Orisson or Borda before Roncesvalles, if there is space available.

I planned my first Camino when I was 48, but didn't get to go that year (COVID). I did get to go at 49 (Frances) & 50 (Norte/Primitivo) & at 51 I am starting the Via Francigena on Saturday.

What called me to the Camino? Not sure. But I loved the idea of doing a long distance cross country hike and once I saw The Way - I knew that the Camino was my way of doing just that. I am not Catholic, but half my family is Catholic including husband and father - so I appreciate the Catholic religion. So - I don't do it FOR religious reasons, but I do love it for inner spirituality and appreciate the religious and historical nature of the journey. I also do it for health and fitness reasons. It has been great for me, and now I am already planning the second half of my Via Francigena for next year (doing half this year - Canterbury, UK to Aosta, Italy and will pick up and finish Italy next year - hopefully continuing past Rome to the southern end of Italy).

Well I'm back! After a few more days of pondering I've have decided to bring the trip forward to around end April - May 2024 - there is no reason to delay! I've got lots more questions, and maybe it is a good idea not to open up lots of new threads? I've found out that some of the aubergues don't have heating! (Not sure how to find out which ones, or how frequent this is?) I would like to know what night temperatures are like (April/May). I'm presuming still a bit fresh?
I wouldn't worry about which have heating. I would however carry a silk liner and a lightweight, summer temperature down sleeping bag. Down is very light and packs very small - making it ideal for a Camino. Even in June/July - the nights can be cold some years (I had 1 cold summer and one warm summer). And then for clothing, layering works best.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I wouldn't use my very nice and very expensive down sleeping bag on the Camino. It would certainly be lightweight and pack down small. The issue is if you encounter bed bugs.

In 2019 I was unlucky enough to encounter bed bugs with my down sleeping bag and so I treated it in the recommended way by putting it in a dryer on hot for 20 minutes.

It probably killed the bed bugs but it also melted my zips and so I had to throw the sleeping bag in the rubbish.

I would go down to the Warehouse and buy a lightweight sleeping bag for $15. It will weigh marginally more and won't pack down so small but you will have peace of mind that if you encounter bed bugs and the heat treatment damages your sleeping bag then it is no big loss.

Also the last thing that you want to do is to bring bed bugs back into your home and so when you get back to home just keep the sleeping bag outside until you can donate it to a clothing bin and put your backpack in the freezer for a month or so.

Go, without preconceptions and I think you'll be rewarded, I was.

I wouldn't use my very nice and very expensive down sleeping bag on the Camino. It would certainly be lightweight and pack down small. The issue is if you encounter bed bugs.

In 2019 I was unlucky enough to encounter bed bugs with my down sleeping bag and so I treated it in the recommended way by putting it in a dryer on hot for 20 minutes.

It probably killed the bed bugs but it also melted my zips and so I had to throw the sleeping bag in the rubbish.

I would go down to the Warehouse and buy a lightweight sleeping bag for $15. It will weigh marginally more and won't pack down so small but you will have peace of mind that if you encounter bed bugs and the heat treatment damages your sleeping bag then it is no big loss.

Also the last thing that you want to do is to bring bed bugs back into your home and so when you get back to home just keep the sleeping bag outside until you can donate it to a clothing bin and put your backpack in the freezer for a month or so.
I can just feel my skin crawling! I've got what I would call a top of the line goose down bag, but that is for alpine conditions above the snow line. Definitely looking for something that packs light and is the right amount of warmth without being over the top.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I can just feel my skin crawling! I've got what I would call a top of the line goose down bag, but that is for alpine conditions above the snow line. Definitely looking for something that packs light and is the right amount of warmth without being over the top.
There are cheaper down sleeping bags available that are summer weight. I bought some throu Amazon.

As for bed bugs - just get in the habit of checking beds before putting any of your personal items on it. This is a good practice any time you stay in a bed that is not your own, not just in the Camino.

I wouldn’t bring a synthetic bag on the Camino. They are usually heavier and don’t compress as well. But I do get not taking your most expensive one - but my most expensive bags are warmer anyway for sleeping outdoors.

A couple of points, if I may...

Firstly, encountering bed bugs on the Camino would seem to be a comparatively unusual event. Yes, it is significant for those who do encounter them and or the hospitaleros who have have to deal with them in managing thier albergue, but on the whole, bed bugs are not a serious issue for pilgrims.

Secondly, and in some contrast to the above point, not everyone seems to react to a bed bug bite... Tough for those who do react badly, but it certainly not a case of "one bed bug bite and your camino is over...".

That said, not taking your best (and most expensive) gear is a good approach - functionality and weight are far more important...

A couple of points, if I may...

Firstly, encountering bed bugs on the Camino would seem to be a comparatively unusual event. Yes, it is significant for those who do encounter them and or the hospitaleros who have have to deal with them in managing thier albergue, but on the whole, bed bugs are not a serious issue for pilgrims.

Secondly, and in some contrast to the above point, not everyone seems to react to a bed bug bite... Tough for those who do react badly, but it certainly not a case of "one bed bug bite and your camino is over...".

That said, not taking your best (and most expensive) gear is a good approach - functionality and weight are far more important...
I'm THAT person the sandflies and mosquitoes go for, so I'm fair game hehe! I'm guessing antihistamines help with physical symptoms, and other than that, a laundry and sanitation problem. Bedbugs are almost unheard of in NZ, so not something we naturally remember to think of. But hey - I've got you guys! So enjoying this planning!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm THAT person the sandflies and mosquitoes go for, so I'm fair game hehe! I'm guessing antihistamines help with physical symptoms, and other than that, a laundry and sanitation problem. Bedbugs are almost unheard of in NZ, so not something we naturally remember to think of. But hey - I've got you guys! So enjoying this planning!
If you do a search for bedbugs on the forum you will find that it is a popular topic.

It is popular because people encounter them every year and even the best examination before settling into a new place will not guarantee that they are not present.

It shouldn't be a focus of your planning but it certainly needs to be considered and if you are unlucky enough to encounter them then the very last thing that you want to do is bring them home with you because they are very expensive to eradicate.

Lastly, bedbugs are not restricted to dirty or cheap accommodation, they love clean sheets and it is possible to encounter them anywhere in the world.

Hi Sarah, another Kiwi here 😊. I was also mysteriously drawn. I couldn’t explain it before and sitting in Arzua tonight, I still can’t exactly put a finger on it. But a couple of days ago I did have an “oh - of course” moment that I felt very deeply. There is something very special here. On another note - once you make the decision to come, the anticipation is absolutely delicious. We had about nine months, you will have more. Enjoy. Buen Camino.

strongly drawn in a way I cannot explain to walk the Camino (Frances). I feel I will get the answer when I get there!
SarahTheKiwi,

After 5 solo trips now (300 up to 800km), I've found that no matter what draws you to the Camino there is something deeply personal that is waiting as a reward for us all.

If I could tell you only three things I would say:

1. The day you arrive you will find that you are meant to be there, from the first day to the last something will remind you on a daily basis that you were ALWAYS supposed to be on this adventure
  2. Stop wherever your body, heart or mind says to, from smelling a flower to picking an olive straight off a tree to scratching a stray cat's head.. these are all a part of the journey and add to the richness and depth of the memories your creating
  3. Trust yourself, the people and the journey & every problem has a solution a short walk around the corner (or a slightly longer walk depending on how far a supermarket, chemist or laundromat is :) !
p.s. happy to chat if you need any feedback on soloing in the winter.

A.

€60,-

Apologies for the late response.
I have flown multiple airlines - my favourite is the Emirates option. I think Qatar is similar. I prefer the 17 hour first stage, followed by the smaller 8 hour leg. I fly out of Auckland. Ive flown into Paris.,Frankfurt and Madrid. Timing is all very similar. But the least stressful is Madrid. A bonus is that you can catch an Alsa bus from the airport direct to cities on the Camino. Cheap, and very comfortable. I did take the train once but the bus is more convenient, faster and cheaper. If I was wanting to spend time in Madrid maybe I'd take the train, but I really just want to get to the start point asap.
The other option of similar length legs doesn't work as well for my brain.
I like the feeling of getting back on the plane in Dubai, knowing there is only 8 hours left. Facing another 12 or 13 is quite discouraging. I work on the theory of getting there as quickly as possible as opposed to stopover. Plus I walk as soon as possible as well - I dont have jet leg as much that way.
I have flown back multiple ways, via Paris, via Madrid and via Bilbao. It just depends on what the plan is after walking. They've all taken similar times overall. I think visiting Paris (the plan was initially to go to Porto, but due to the fires there , 2017, Paris seemed like a better option), and I dont regret it one bit.

Sleeping bag - I take a small light one, and a silk liner. Not expensive, rolls up really small. Some people are happy without a sleeping bag - Im not one of them.

Bedbugs - I spray my pack thoroughly and my sleeping bag on the outside. And I take antihistamines, that lessens the itch. In 3 Caminos I have been bitten twice - both times when I was sleeping on crisp hotel sheets - not using my sleeping bag. Luckily both times my pack was far from the bed.
I don't want to take them home, that's why I spray my pack. I use the yellow Sawyers bottle (bought online).

Last edited:
Apologies for the late response.
I have flown multiple airlines - my favourite is the Emirates option. I think Qatar is similar. I prefer the 17 hour first stage, followed by the smaller 8 hour leg. I fly out of Auckland. Ive flown into Paris.,Frankfurt and Madrid. Timing is all very similar. But the least stressful is Madrid. A bonus is that you can catch an Alsa bus from the airport direct to cities on the Camino. Cheap, and very comfortable. I did take the train once but the bus is more convenient, faster and cheaper. If I was wanting to spend time in Madrid maybe I'd take the train, but I really just want to get to the start point asap.
The other option of similar length legs doesn't work as well for my brain.
I like the feeling of getting back on the plane in Dubai, knowing there is only 8 hours left. Facing another 12 or 13 is quite discouraging. I work on the theory of getting there as quickly as possible as opposed to stopover. Plus I walk as soon as possible as well - I dont have jet leg as much that way.
I have flown back multiple ways, via Paris, via Madrid and via Bilbao. It just depends on what the plan is after walking. They've all taken similar times overall. I think visiting Paris (the plan was initially to go to Porto, but due to the fires there , 2017, Paris seemed like a better option), and I dont regret it one bit.

Sleeping bag - I take a small light one, and a silk liner. Not expensive, rolls up really small. Some people are happy without a sleeping bag - Im not one of them.

Bedbugs - I spray my pack thoroughly and my sleeping bag on the outside. And I take antihistamines, that lessens the itch. In 3 Caminos I have been bitten twice - both times when I was sleeping on crisp hotel sheets - not using my sleeping bag. Luckily both times my pack was far from the bed.
I don't want to take them home, that's why I spray my pack. I use the yellow Sawyers bottle (bought online).
Thanks for the really helpful info Anamiri. Sounds like you've done a lot of travel! It's been a while for me. I'm wondering if I might get sent through London, then Barritz, France. I'm a fan of Emirates (and possibly their 12 hour free hotel stopover in Dubai). I have an appointment with the travel agent on 19 June, and then I will know more about routing, and options of various cities (it's the minor connections like trains and buses which scare me bit!). I don't intend to do much sightseeing either end of the Camino, as I have children I need to get back to - maybe a day or two in Paris, London, or even stick around Santiago a bit longer. Interesting about the bedbugs - will look out for that spray as a preventative.

Thanks for the really helpful info Anamiri. Sounds like you've done a lot of travel! It's been a while for me. I'm wondering if I might get sent through London, then Barritz, France. I'm a fan of Emirates (and possibly their 12 hour free hotel stopover in Dubai). I have an appointment with the travel agent on 19 June, and then I will know more about routing, and options of various cities (it's the minor connections like trains and buses which scare me bit!). I don't intend to do much sightseeing either end of the Camino, as I have children I need to get back to - maybe a day or two in Paris, London, or even stick around Santiago a bit longer. Interesting about the bedbugs - will look out for that spray as a preventative.
Once you know where you want to start from, you can work from there. Its not as complicated as it sounds, because you only need to do that part once, then the rest of the time you're on foot. Its so simple when you're on foot.
In 2017 a cousin joined us for a week. He had some business to complete in London and wasn't sure when he would be available to walk, so he kept in touch with us, and decided to meet us in San Martin a day out of Leon.
He flew into Madrid, took a bus to Leon, and then a cab 20km to where we were staying. We were able to explain that process to him easily, and he made up his mind one day and was with us the following evening.

If you need help with buses trains etc, the forum is a great place.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sarah,
I did my first Camino at 60, now on my 6th, aged 69. Private message me if you want to chat. I'll be back in NZ early July. Just remember, it's addictive.

Bernice
Hi Sarah and Bernice

Perhaps we could start a mini group of NZers who would love to do a Camino walk. I am in the latter of wanting to do it for many years, though I have travelled around Europe housesitting with my husband; I need to get the timing right. Perhaps in 2025.

Cheers
Suzanne (LifeatNo22 - blogger)

I walked half of the camino in 2018. I can't say why I did it but it opened up my eyes to things i had never thought or understood before.
I am going back to do the whole camino starting in SJPD to Santiago in memory of my sister and brother who left this earth for a better place in the same week. I have different feelings this time but I am open to whatever happens. Go with an open mind and you will never be alone on this pilgrimage.
Lyn from New Zealand

Hi Sarah, Lyn from Gisborne. I did 400kms of the Camino in 2018 and I leave on August 19 for the full walk starting SJPD 22 August. If you are on facebook we could catch up if you want any help with your walk.
I would be keen to learn more from you both. Though not on Facebook.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi everyone! It has been a while since I logged in! Life has taken over. I've been to the travel agent to make bookings but apparently I'm a bit early for booking the return flight (June 2024). I've looked at backpacks in the meantime, and met a mum working in one shop and her son working in the other shop who have both done a camino and they were full of advice and encouragement! Being the proactive type.... what can I do now.... download Duolingo! Best thing ever! It's like a game, and even though I consider myself a slow learner, I think it's better to turn up with broken Spanish than perfect English. I now know how to order bread, apples, tomatos and water.... so I won't starve and at this rate it might be a vegetarian trip.... all tongue in cheek however!

Hi everyone! It has been a while since I logged in! Life has taken over. I've been to the travel agent to make bookings but apparently I'm a bit early for booking the return flight (June 2024). I've looked at backpacks in the meantime, and met a mum working in one shop and her son working in the other shop who have both done a camino and they were full of advice and encouragement! Being the proactive type.... what can I do now.... download Duolingo! Best thing ever! It's like a game, and even though I consider myself a slow learner, I think it's better to turn up with broken Spanish than perfect English. I now know how to order bread, apples, tomatos and water.... so I won't starve and at this rate it might be a vegetarian trip.... all tongue in cheek however!
Sarah, we found the Spanish food is very much meat based and the tomatoes are so tasty. We shopped at supermarkets than eating at restaurants. Duolingo is very useful so was flinging my hands around to express what we wanted 😉 It is always good to try to say a few words in Spanish and it becomes easier with time.

Hi @SarahTheKiwi
I'm off to do the Frances again in 6 weeks! This will be my third (Portuguese in there as well). My reason was just...I heard about it, then a year later I stumbled across a doco on Sunday arvo TV, then I researched youtube videos of others walking the trail, then it became something I just had to do. Not a religious thing, or spiritual thing, or anything I can put into words. Just something I had to do.
Best. Thing. I've. Ever. Done.

Would be happy to join in a NZ community (I'm sure there is one already).

Thanks

I think there is a Hamilton one. We once went to one of their evenings, but would be happy to join an NZ one. Ive held several Camino evenings at our place for people to learn more about the Camino, and am now thinking of walking again next year with a friend I've known since school.
She likes to walk the way I do so that would be fun.

I think there is a Hamilton one. We once went to one of their evenings, but would be happy to join an NZ one. Ive held several Camino evenings at our place for people to learn more about the Camino, and am now thinking of walking again next year with a friend I've known since school.
She likes to walk the way I do so that would be fun.
I am not sure how to start a group on here? Wonderful that you have someone that you can walk with. I have yet to convince a friend who I do half marathons with that doing a Camino would be fun ;-) My husband is unable to do it. However, he is cheering happily from the sidelines at the idea of me doing it hopefully next year.

I would love it if we had a NZ interest group! Would be great to meet people who have experienced The Walk(s) before.

@LifeatNo22 glad the Duolingo proved helpful! I think shopping at the supermercado is a good idea and intend to do the same. Also hope to come across some nice bakeries.... European ones, yum!

Another thing of note - I would like to get credential/passport before I leave. Looked into ordering it from this site but it was going to be something like 50 euros in courier fees. Is there another way? I'd actually like to get a stamp from my local Basilica before starting out.... the reason being the journey starts from home.... or is this a silly idea?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I would love it if we had a NZ interest group! Would be great to meet people who have experienced The Walk(s) before.

@LifeatNo22 glad the Duolingo proved helpful! I think shopping at the supermercado is a good idea and intend to do the same. Also hope to come across some nice bakeries.... European ones, yum!

Another thing of note - I would like to get credential/passport before I leave. Looked into ordering it from this site but it was going to be something like 50 euros in courier fees. Is there another way? I'd actually like to get a stamp from my local Basilica before starting out.... the reason being the journey starts from home.... or is this a silly idea?
Maybe ask someone who is there now to bring you one? They can mail it to you upon return?

Sarah and anyone else who wants stuff from Ivar, I will be in Santiago towards the end of July. If there are specific things that you want then I could purchase them for you and bring them back with me when I return mid August.

I am home in Auckland on the 22 or 23 August and so if you are Auckland based you can pick them up or I could post them if you live out of Auckland.

I don't really want to bulk up my luggage too much but credentials and guide books should be okay, just not too many umbrellas that you can probably get locally anyway.

PM me if you want to do this.

Doug

I am not sure how to start a group on here?
You can start a private conversation with interested members. At the top of the page to the right of your name click on the envelope symbol. There is an option to start a new conversation. Then you add the user names of those that you want to join you in the conversation. Make sure to check the box at the bottom that says "Allow anyone in the conversation to invite others."

You can start a private conversation with interested members. At the top of the page to the right of your name click on the envelope symbol. There is an option to start a new conversation. Then you add the user names of those that you want to join you in the conversation. Make sure to check the box at the bottom that says "Allow anyone in the conversation to invite others."
Thank you for replying. Someone has already set up a group.

Hi SarahtheKiwi! I wish you all the very best for your Camino journey and I hope you find the answers you seek.
I first walked the CF in 2016 at 63 and could not understand why anyone would do it more than once! I went to keep a friend company.
In 2017 I unexpectedly found myself planning to return alone and thoroughly enjoyed my second CF in 2018 but again did n’t expect to return.
My third CF was May/June 2023 - solo again, and the best one yet, in my 70th year.
I am often asked why I repeat the same route. I don’t know the answer but I do know the great sense of joy I experienced this year from being in the beauty of nature and from the exertion, especially on the most difficult days.
Will I go again? I don’t know … I am not in charge!

Hi Sarah... I did the Camino from Leon to SdC last year....what drew me? Multiple factors but I became totally obsessed once I starting reading this forum and watching a couple of movies. I think it was the movie about the 6 kiwis from completely different walks of life that drew me initially. I live near Wellington so happy to chat or meet if you would like.
And yes.. .like the other responses... Im addicted now and planning the next walk!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It seems i’m a bit late to be coming to this party...but one more kiwi voice being added....along with the invitation to message if you like.

Last edited:
I really must watch The Way..... !
Hi Sarah... I did the Camino from Leon to SdC last year....what drew me? Multiple factors but I became totally obsessed once I starting reading this forum and watching a couple of movies. I think it was the movie about the 6 kiwis from completely different walks of life that drew me initially. I live near Wellington so happy to chat or meet if you would like.
And yes.. .like the other responses... Im addicted now and planning the next walk!
Hi from Levin. Where near Wellington do you live

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Well, maybe not. My plans are to leave for France on May 4th, stay overnight in Paris, train to St. jean, and begin the Camino! and Thursday I came down with covid. and yes, it did indeed put me...
Ten years ago to the day, I returned home from walking the Camino Frances. People asked me if I would do it again, and I said absolutely. I thought I'd be going back in "3 to 4 years." Obviously...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.