A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

Sara's 2018 Via de la Plata video blog (WINTER)

Sara_Dhooma

Camino(s) past & future
Frances/Muxia (14), Portuguese (15), Le Puy (17), Norte (17), Ingles (17), VDLP (18), Lana (18)+more
Hello!

I’ve started walking the Via de Plata Camino on January 25, 2018. I have been posting a brief video update each day. I’m loving this winter camino so far!

You can follow along with my journey to Santiago at:
Sara’s Via de la Plata Youtube Playlist

I’m happy to answer any questions!

Cheers,
Sara

P.S. I have video blogs from other Caminos and hikes from around the world on my YouTube channel. Subscribe if this interests you! After the VDLP Camino I will be hiking the Pacific Crest Trail.

Mark McCarthy

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2014 2015
Lourdes 2 SdC 2016
Sarria 2 SdC April&Oct 2016 & (April 2018)
Camino Baztan June 2017
My wife and loved your videos from the Camino Francés!

Phil W

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances to Melide, May-early July 2016,
Zamora Dec 2017 as Hospitalero
Hello!

I’ve started walking the Via de Plata Camino on January 25, 2018. I have been posting a brief video update each day. I’m loving this winter camino so far!

Cheers,
Sara

P.S. I have video blogs from other Caminos and hikes from around the world on my YouTube channel. Subscribe if this interests you! After the VDLP Camino I will be hiking the Pacific Crest Trail.
Sara,
Thanks for sharing your videos. I will be watching them as I explore other routes.

Buen Camino

Phil

Phil W

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances to Melide, May-early July 2016,
Zamora Dec 2017 as Hospitalero
There is a great albergue in Zamora, the Albergue de Perigrinos, actually right on the path. It is a donativo and actually owned by the municipality. There is a kitchen, washing machine, space to hang clothes, and clean beds and bathrooms.

Again, buen Camino,

Phil

Jo114

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2016. Camino del Norte 2017. Planning Camino VDLP 2018.
Great videos Sara! I hiked the Camino Frances (2016) and the Del Norte (2017), both in their entirety. I am doing the Via de la Plata this year starting in Seville on April 29 and am finding your blogs very inspirational. Enjoy your hike, and keep up the good work with the videos. I assure you I will be following your adventure. Bien Camino!

nathanael

Camino(s) past & future
Via de la Plata
Hello!

Cheers,
Sara

Sara can you tell me the albergue is in Sevilla, my guidebook makes mention of the Triana across the bridge

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF: (2001, 2002, 2004, 2014). Hospitalera: 2002, Ponferrada. 2004, Rabanal del Camino.
Thank you for vlog.

I really want to walk this route this year. Need some miracles though.

Keep videos coming.

Sara_Dhooma

Camino(s) past & future
Frances/Muxia (14), Portuguese (15), Le Puy (17), Norte (17), Ingles (17), VDLP (18), Lana (18)+more
Hi Nathanael!

The Triana Hostal is closed in the winter. I stayed at the Black Swan Hostel.

The Black Swan is five minutes walk from the Cathedral. The staff is very friendly and they have lots of activities like free dinner night. I highly recommend them. You can choose a 6 or 8 person dorm with semi-private beds, or a private room. It can get noisy at night when the young people return from the bar.

Here is the website: https://www.blackswanhostelsevilla.com

CaroleH

Camino(s) past & future
VdlP 2006, Portugues 2007;Madrid 2009, Finisterre 2009; Sur and VdlP 2011,2013; Manchego and Madrid 2014; VdlP (parts) 2016; Hospitalero plan 2017.
I love the VdlP so I'm happy to follow along in spirit. Been camino Sara.

Barry Coltham

BarryCamino
Camino(s) past & future
Past: CF: Sarria to Santiago May 2017
VdlP/ Sanabres: Salamanca to Santiago May 2018
Fisterra Muxia
thanks for the VLogs Sara hope it is going well Beun Camino
I start from Salamanca on 29 April 2018

cindyjo

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2012
Camino del Norte /Primitivo (2014)
Chemin la Puy (2016)
Camino Portuguese (2017)
Sara, I’m so glad I bumped into your videos. My sister and I begin our walk on the Via de la Plata on March 16. I was surprised it was so warm in January, but noticed it got cooler as you walked on. Watching your videos makes it even harder to wait the next few weeks for our adventure. Enjoyed your posts and look forward to following along. Buen Camino !

khiker9

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, '12; Frances, '14; Port, '15; Frances, Norte, Fisterre, '16; Ingles, Fisterre/Muxia '17
Hello!

Cheers,
Sara

Sara - So enjoyed watching your blog so far. I so wanted to do the Via de la Plata this year but couldn't find anyone to do it with me & felt I shouldn't do this one alone, so I am glad to see you are encountering a few other peregrinos! Buen Camino!

MileHighPair

Camino(s) past & future
2012, 2014: Cam. Frances
2015: Chimayo, USA.
2016, 2017: VdlP
2018: Madrid and Ourense
Fun videos Sara. Thank you for posting. The stone pillars you passed on Day 11 are Roman mile marker stones called Miliario stones. You will pass many more in the next couple weeks. They are numbered, beginning at Merida, so that when you pass stone 142 you have gone 142 miles from Merida! Buen Camino!

talia

Camino(s) past & future
camino fr 2017
via dlpt 2018
Hello!

Cheers,
Sara

buen camino sara.. it is nice to whatch your video..enjoy the camino

Sara_Dhooma

Camino(s) past & future
Fun videos Sara. Thank you for posting. The stone pillars you passed on Day 11 are Roman mile marker stones called Miliario stones. You will pass many more in the next couple weeks. They are numbered, beginning at Merida, so that when you pass stone 142 you have gone 142 miles from Merida! Buen Camino!
Wow! Thank you MileHighPair for your comment. That makes sense! Mystery solved and I look forward to seeing more.

clivespicer

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances April/May 2017. Via de la Plata/Sanabres April/May 2018.
Hello!

Cheers,
Sara

Hi Sara,

Ive enjoyed your blogs and will be following in your footsteps just after Easter, taking the Via then the Sanabres into Santiago. Can you advise please, what state was the River Molinos on your first stage out of Seville? Did you have to divert?

Sara_Dhooma

Camino(s) past & future
Hi Sara,

Ive enjoyed your blogs and will be following in your footsteps just after Easter, taking the Via then the Sanabres into Santiago. Can you advise please, what state was the River Molinos on your first stage out of Seville? Did you have to divert?
Hi Clive!

I have had no difficulty with water crossing thus far. I have not needed to divert anywhere. In fact, many stream crossings are totally dry!

No rain (other than a sprinkle) for 17 days, no wet feet. . It is supposed to rain tomorrow!

A local told me that they have been having a very dry winter. Many farmers need to truck in hay for their animals - as the grass is not growing well.

Cheers,
Sara

Amelia J

Camino(s) past & future
Camino frances 2013, 14, 15, 16.
Camino via de la plata 2018
Hi Sara,

Hi Sara, i am just a little behind you (from Alberta). I know there is a long stage coming up at about stage 18 of 39km.

Hello!

Cheers,
Sara

Hi Sara. I'm traveling just behind you by a few days. (from Alberta). I know there is a long stage coming up at about stage 18 of 39km. I would like to have my backpack transfered for me if possible for this stage. Do you know if that service is available?
Thanks
Amelia

clivespicer

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances April/May 2017. Via de la Plata/Sanabres April/May 2018.
Hi Clive!

I have had no difficulty with water crossing thus far. I have not needed to divert anywhere. In fact, many stream crossings are totally dry!

No rain (other than a sprinkle) for 17 days, no wet feet. . It is supposed to rain tomorrow!

A local told me that they have been having a very dry winter. Many farmers need to truck in hay for their animals - as the grass is not growing well.

Cheers,
Sara
Great, thanks Sara. Buen Camino.

Sara_Dhooma

Camino(s) past & future
Hi Sara, i am just a little behind you (from Alberta). I know there is a long stage coming up at about stage 18 of 39km.

Hi Sara. I'm traveling just behind you by a few days. (from Alberta). I know there is a long stage coming up at about stage 18 of 39km. I would like to have my backpack transfered for me if possible for this stage. Do you know if that service is available?
Thanks
Amelia
Hey Amelia! A fellow Canadian! Everyone assumes I am German - do you get that too?

Anyhow, there is no luggage service on VDLP that I know of for this time of year. What you could do, is contact a local taxi to transfer the luggage if the alberge/casarural on the other end is okay with recieving it. Although, I think this many be expensive.

Cheers,
Sara

Jaffer Syed

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2010), Portuguese (2013), Del Norte (2015), Primitivo (2016) De La Plata (2018 planned)
Thank you Sara for posting the videos on YouTube. I'm planning to walk VDLP starting around end of March this year. I'm enjoying your posts and find them very helpful in what to expect.

handzondeck2

Camino(s) past & future
CF (x2); VdLP (x4); Portuguese (x2); Madrid (x2); S/Salvador, Primitivo, Ingles ('17) Camino 19 tba
great videos Sara. Any chance you can post your accommodation list? I'll be walking later in the year

Amelia J

Camino(s) past & future
Hey Amelia! A fellow Canadian! Everyone assumes I am German - do you get that too?

Anyhow, there is no luggage service on VDLP that I know of for this time of year. What you could do, is contact a local taxi to transfer the luggage if the alberge/casarural on the other end is okay with recieving it. Although, I think this many be expensive.

Cheers,
Sara
Thanks Sara. Buen Camino

Terry aka Tex

Camino(s) past & future
2016 Sept- Oct SJPdP-SdC
Hello!

Cheers,
Sara

Hi Sarah been watching your daily vids really great ,are you using any particular guide book or are you just following the arrows and staying where you finish for the day. Keep up the great work I hope to walk VdlP 2019 February . Buen Camino

Sara_Dhooma

Camino(s) past & future
Hi Sarah been watching your daily vids really great ,are you using any particular guide book or are you just following the arrows and staying where you finish for the day. Keep up the great work I hope to walk VdlP 2019 February . Buen Camino
Hi Tex!

I don’t have set stages planned, so I decide where to sleep depending on how I’m feeling in the afternoon. There are some long stages with nothing so I don’t have much choice!

I don’t have a guidebook but I have two apps - ‘Wise Pilgrim’ and ‘ViaDeLaPlataPremium’. I use the apps for town and albergue listings. My cellphone does not work in Europe, and I don’t have data, so I can not use the online map features.

If I get really lost- I check the GPS app ‘MapsMe’ for the general direction of the village I’m heading for.

I rely heavily on the arrows!

Cheers, Sara

Olimpia

Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Santiago Frances (2014)
Camino del Norte (2017)

Cheers,
Sara
Hi Sara, I always use the CORREOS to send mu luggage to my destination in Spain. The have a special service for Pilgrims. Look at the page El Camino con Correos.

Amelia J

Camino(s) past & future
Hi Olimpia, I have looked that up already but this portion is not being serviced by Correos. The sanabrese section is better serviced.
Amelia

Olimpia

Camino(s) past & future
Camino del Norte (2017)
Hi Sara, I always use the CORREOS to send mu luggage to my destination in Spain. The have a special service for Pilgrims. Look at the page El Camino con Correos.
Hi Olimpia, I have looked that up already but this portion is not being serviced by Correos. The sanabrese section is better serviced.
Amelia

Olimpia

Camino(s) past & future
Camino del Norte (2017)
Thanks Sara. I am following you leaving Houston mid March. Will try to follow your recommendations for places to sleep among other useful info you are able to provide. I guess it will get cooler as you move north. I have been wondering how safe this route is for women alone. Thank you for doing this.

kayagee66

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2016)
Le Puy - Roncesvalles (2016)
Figeac - Cahors (2017)
Stevenson Trail (2018
Hi Sara
I enjoy catching up on your video blogs.
A couple of questions. How good is your Spanish?
And how much time have you spent 'not' walking since you started the Via Podiensis?
It seems you've gone from one walk to another.

Sara_Dhooma

Camino(s) past & future
Awesome tip Olimpia!

Sara_Dhooma

Camino(s) past & future
Hi Sara
I enjoy catching up on your video blogs.
A couple of questions. How good is your Spanish?
And how much time have you spent 'not' walking since you started the Via Podiensis?
It seems you've gone from one walk to another.
Hello!

My Spanish is atrocious. I have taken lessons in the past and travelled in many Spanish countries - but I can’t pick it up. . I do try my best and use lots of smiling and hand gestures.

I have a leave of absence from my job so I started with walking the the Via Podiensis in mid-August. Then part of the Northern Way, English Camino, North Korea holiday, three New Zealand Great Walks, Annapurna Circuit in Nepal, Bali holiday, a few weeks at home and then on the Via de la Plata. . I’ve probably been walking about 75% of the past six months.

Cheers,
Sara

Olimpia

Camino(s) past & future
Camino del Norte (2017)
Hello!

Cheers,
Sara

Ho
Hello!

Cheers,
Sara

Hi Sara, Are you traveling alone? I am wondering how safe is the Via de la Plata for women walking alone. I read that there are long etapas iniciales between towns.

handzondeck2

Camino(s) past & future
CF (x2); VdLP (x4); Portuguese (x2); Madrid (x2); S/Salvador, Primitivo, Ingles ('17) Camino 19 tba
Thanks Sara. I am following you leaving Houston mid March. Will try to follow your recommendations for places to sleep among other useful info you are able to provide. I guess it will get cooler as you move north. I have been wondering how safe this route is for women alone. Thank you for doing this.
HI Olimpia, the Via de la Plata is quite safe and you're really never alone. There are some long stretches but with careful planning you'll be fine. On some stretches you may not see another pilgrim until night time in the Albergues where they seem to come out of the woodwork so to speak. Also the locals are very friendly and will always point you on the right track. Be sure to check out the resource section for the 'recommended' accommodation. You can reserve as you go along. Its not t as crowded as the Camino Frances so if you don't mind solitary once in a while you'll be fine. BTW when are you walking

Jan_D

Camino(s) past & future
Aragones (2011)
Frances (2012)
Norte (2013, 2014)
Hospitalera (2014)
Portugues (2017)
Loving your VDLP videos, Sara! Just binge-watched them all, ha ha... Anyway I had to find out about those ruins just after Montemarta (in the vid posted 25/20) - turns out they're the former fortified city of Castrotorafe, a medieval defensive site connected with the Order of Santiago. Just in case you're interested. Thanks again for allowing those of us stuck at home to enjoy a vicarious adventure! :)

Sara_Dhooma

Camino(s) past & future
Ho
Hi Sara, Are you traveling alone? I am wondering how safe is the Via de la Plata for women walking alone. I read that there are long etapas iniciales between towns.
Handzondeck2 is correct - it is quite safe!

I have’t seen other pilgrim now for 10 days. I don’t feel lonely because I interact with the locals in bars at the end of the day.

I have found that people are very kind and respectful to solo women travelling on the Camino.

Sara_Dhooma

Camino(s) past & future
Loving your VDLP videos, Sara! Just binge-watched them all, ha ha... Anyway I had to find out about those ruins just after Montemarta (in the vid posted 25/20) - turns out they're the former fortified city of Castrotorafe, a medieval defensive site connected with the Order of Santiago. Just in case you're interested. Thanks again for allowing those of us stuck at home to enjoy a vicarious adventure! :)
Jan_D you are my hero!
Thank you for the info! I can finally sleep tonight. (Hehehe!)

Cheers for the comment. ❤

Jan_D

Camino(s) past & future
Aragones (2011)
Frances (2012)
Norte (2013, 2014)
Hospitalera (2014)
Portugues (2017)
Jan_D you are my hero!
Thank you for the info! I can finally sleep tonight. (Hehehe!)

Cheers for the comment. ❤
Well given you're such a history buff, I figured it would be playing on your mind ;)

By the way, sorry about your phone charger (fyi the fact that I know about that makes me feel a bit stalker-ish ha ha... but seriously, hope you manage to get a replacement soon!)

donalomahony

Camino(s) past & future
"Camino Frances" 2013, "Burgos to Leon," February 2014 - "Frances" June '14
Sarah got her charger, but you will have to watch her latest video.... and for us in .ie it’s time to sleep!

hotelmedicis

Commercial Interests
Camino(s) past & future
CF 2001 (+more)
VDLP 2013, 2018
Hi Sara!
I'm addicted to your daily vlog of the VDLP -- thank you so much for posting them, they are so entertaining and also informative. Perfect! Keep up the good work! :)

Olimpia

Camino(s) past & future
Camino del Norte (2017)
HI Olimpia, the Via de la Plata is quite safe and you're really never alone. There are some long stretches but with careful planning you'll be fine. On some stretches you may not see another pilgrim until night time in the Albergues where they seem to come out of the woodwork so to speak. Also the locals are very friendly and will always point you on the right track. Be sure to check out the resource section for the 'recommended' accommodation. You can reserve as you go along. Its not t as crowded as the Camino Frances so if you don't mind solitary once in a while you'll be fine. BTW when are you walking
Hello Handzondeck2, Thanks for your advice. I am planning on starting March 16. So far have had some difficulty with the last leg of my flight (Lisbon to Sevilla). It looks like I may have to fly to Lisbon and take a bus to Seville.

handzondeck2

Camino(s) past & future
Hi Olimpia if you haven't booked accommodation in Seville yet try Hotel Simon. It's next to the cathedral. It's worth a day in Seville to take in the sights. The first day out to Guillena is flat so,you can probably catch a bus to Santiponce check out Italica and then walk on. Albergue Luz is awesome place to stay if the municipal is closed.

handzondeck2

Camino(s) past & future
Thanks Handzondeck2. I appreciate the information.
Feel free to PM me if you would like further info. I am going to walk this route again for a 4th time in April and each time it is different.

Peter1

Camino(s) past & future
September 2017
Hello!

Cheers,
Sara

Hi Sara I love your video blog of the VDLP. I did the Norte last Autumn and this is next on my list. What map or app did you find most useful?

Sara_Dhooma

Camino(s) past & future
Hi Sara I love your video blog of the VDLP. I did the Norte last Autumn and this is next on my list. What map or app did you find most useful?
I like the ViadelaPlata Premium app. It gives basic route info, albergue listings and has a few photos. I don’t really use it much - but is is very helpful to briefly glance over the route in the morning.

Sara_Dhooma

Camino(s) past & future
Awww thanks Daphne! I hope you have fun on your walk! Buen Camino!!!!

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
'Portuguese,Frances,Norte,Salvador/primitivo,Le puy, Inglés, CDM, Invierno, Fin/Mux, VDLP spring19
Hi @Sara_Dhooma
Recently discovered ALL your video blogs.
Watching all the Spanish ones over the last week .
Taking my time with your Vdlp days in order to spread them out and get my ‘fix’ daily .
So many insights - I’m really enjoying them and know I’m going to revisit the Vdlp days again to make some notes for my April 2019 stroll.
Buen Camino and please keep vlogging

Annie

SusanO

Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Santiago and planning on Via del la Plata
Hi Sara @Sara_Dhooma

Your video blog has been recommended and I am about to cram! My hubby and I have a window of 8/10 days to do part of the VdlP starting 5 Feb. Have previously done the Camino Frances and loved it. We are travelling from Aus. We were thinking of doing 8/10 days from Merida, previously I did lots of planning but haven’t done any this time. Would you recommend this section? or is there another section you would suggest. Also how were the Albergues any that you may steer clear of? Thanks heaps. Buen Camino Sue

Sara_Dhooma

Camino(s) past & future
Hi Sara @Sara_Dhooma

Your video blog has been recommended and I am about to cram! My hubby and I have a window of 8/10 days to do part of the VdlP starting 5 Feb. Have previously done the Camino Frances and loved it. We are travelling from Aus. We were thinking of doing 8/10 days from Merida, previously I did lots of planning but haven’t done any this time. Would you recommend this section? or is there another section you would suggest. Also how were the Albergues any that you may steer clear of? Thanks heaps. Buen Camino Sue
Hi Sue!

Sorry for the delay! I’m a bit behind in my internet things.

Yes, a week or week and a half past Merida is a great section! I don’t recall there being any bad Albergues.

The only thing to plan out this distances within your daily walking capabilities to coincide with a place to sleep. The Via de la Plata is notorious for long stages! Oh and allow sightseeing time in Merida!!!

Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Sara

YogaAnabel

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015)
Via de la Plata (2017)
Hi Sara @Sara_Dhooma

You could just start walking in Seville. You probably have enough time to get as far as Merida. That time of the year the southern section gets the best weather.

A.

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
Olimpia Via de la Plata blogs 12

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 37 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 133 15.6%
  • May

Votes: 205 24.0%