• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sarong as a towel?

minaleigh

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2016
I'm fairly certain instead of a towel, I'm going to bring a sarong instead. It can double as a skirt to walk around town and for church, as well as a privacy screen. I would like to hear thoughts from people who have actually done it. Which would be the best material and how well does it actually dry?

Thanks in advance!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi @minaleigh - just a quick question but if you use your sarong as a towel when you arrive at your Albergue wouldn't it be still wet and unusable for walking around town, church, etc?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm fairly certain instead of a towel, I'm going to bring a sarong instead. It can double as a skirt to walk around town and for church, as well as a privacy screen. I would like to hear thoughts from people who have actually done it. Which would be the best material and how well does it actually dry?

Thanks in advance!
There are really HUGE micro-fiber quick drying towels u may want to check out on amazon. Buen Camino :) Caesar

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.

Thanks in advance!
I live in Singapore so have no issues using a cotton sorong as a privacy cover when changing as well as something to wear to & from the shower. It also doubled (quadrupled?) as a pillow case or an additional layer on cold nights on there different Camino's. That said, I use a washcloth in the shower, then wring it out before using it as a towel. I'm almost completely dry before I put on the sarong. Also, I'm not to comfortable walking around outdoors in Spanish towns while wearing a sarong but that's for other reasons. :p

On my first camino I took a sarong and also a large muslin cloth for a towel. I used the sarong as a skirt in the evenings and as a scarf and blanket and pillowcase as needed and it got well used but I did had a rethink on my second camino.

* I swapped the muslin for a large quick dry towel and I was so much happier with the towel

* I swapped the sarong for a pair of lightweight trousers... for me I just felt more comfortable in trousers. I think I'll stick with this on my next walk but I am still looking at sarongs as they are mutipurpose and really useful... but I never used mine as a towel :rolleyes:

On my first camino I took a sarong and also a large muslin cloth for a towel. I used the sarong as a skirt in the evenings and as a scarf and blanket and pillowcase as needed and it got well used but I did had a rethink on my second camino.

* I swapped the muslin for a large quick dry towel and I was so much happier with the towel

* I swapped the sarong for a pair of lightweight trousers... for me I just felt more comfortable in trousers. I think I'll stick with this on my next walk but I am still looking at sarongs as they are mutipurpose and really useful... but I never used mine as a towel :rolleyes:

Like @LesBrass, I also tried the muslin for one of my caminos but it didn't dry well in cooler weather. I’ve gone back to the quick dry towel method (super small or cut a medium in half) which is perfect.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have a turkish Hammam towel, which is lightwieght, cotton and is nice enough to use as a sarong. It dries quickly and is big enough to use as a blanket to lay on. All round good buy as I am not keen on the microfibre towels.

I agree with the light cotton sarong for multi uses including niggtvwear and pillow case , privacy hanging from the bunk , wearing in the albergue
This is what I often did . Yes,- if you use it fior a towel you can’t wear it immediately around the town but I also took a light silk dress which was invaluable .

BTW , unless really significant , I seldom had the time to sightsee after walking for the day as it is quite a routine getting washing done etc and getting ready for the next day.

I preferred to spend more time in the cafes along the way than come in early to accommodation as it is often not very comfortable.

. Along the way I also bought a light
Cotton pillow case and put it on the pillow supplied each night . Take one from home us best though . . Those sheets and pillow cases made of synthetic material as provided were frustrating and ineffective

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My sarong was a keeper however I did not use it as a towel because I wouldn't be able to wear it straight out of the shower. Even though I'm not super thrilled about my travel towel, it serves it's purpose. I'm so excited for my Summer del Norte where I know I will get plenty of use out of my sarong. I might even use it as a skirt during my walking this go around. So many options with a sarong. :)

Most of the sarongs I see for sale in Canada are made of rayon. Apparently rayon absorbs water well but doesn't release it (i.e. dry) so quickly. It drapes nicely, so it is good as a sarong, but it may not be as good as a cotton towel.

I dislike microfiber towels, too. Instead I use a flannel baby towel and love it as it folds up small and takes up little room in my pack. It's very absorbent and is always dry by morning draped over the foot of my bunk. I have several purchased at resale for only $1 US each.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.