• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sarong or quick dry towel?

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I used a PackTowl on my last Camino, which weighs 3.4 ounces, but I'm wondering if the extra weight of a sarong would be worth it on the Norte, since it is more multipurpose. Specifically, since I'd like to try to swim in the ocean as often as possible, and the sarong makes a good beach towel, and cover up. The difference in weight is 3.5 ounces.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am taking a foutah on my upcoming camino in August (can be used as a sarong, light blanket, shawl, towel, etc) and consider it completely worth any extra ounces because I so loathed my camp towel last time. Seriously... the pack towel made me hate my life (on an otherwise very rewarding camino).

I used a PackTowl on my last Camino, which weighs 3.4 ounces, but I'm wondering if the extra weight of a sarong would be worth it on the Norte, since it is more multipurpose. Specifically, since I'd like to try to swim in the ocean as often as possible, and the sarong makes a good beach towel, and cover up. The difference in weight is 3.5 ounces.

I think the sarong would be a good substitute because of its multi-uses. If there is something else beside the towel that the sarong can replace, then that could help offset the weight difference as well; although the weight difference as it stands now is pretty minimal. Maybe carry 3 ounces less water? :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am taking a foutah on my upcoming camino in August (can be used as a sarong, light blanket, shawl, towel, etc) and consider it completely worth any extra ounces because I so loathed my camp towel last time. Seriously... the pack towel made me hate my life (on an otherwise very rewarding camino).
I actually don't mind the PackTowl at all. It works much better than the Sea to Summit Pocket Towel that I used on my first Camino.

I think the sarong would be a good substitute because of its multi-uses. If there is something else beside the towel that the sarong can replace, then that could help offset the weight difference as well; although the weight difference as it stands now is pretty minimal. Maybe carry 3 ounces less water? :)
I think the main thing that's stopping me from taking the sarong instead of the PackTowl, is the fact that I'm so happy with the super lightweight of the PackTowl, and proud of myself for finding it in the first place. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I love using a lightweight cotton flannel infant baby bath towel. It's ightweight, packs small, big enough to to the job (but not too big), and dries draped over the foot of the albergue beds before morning when you need to put it away, and oh so comfortable. No polyester fabric towels for me, I dislike them immensely.
I do not understand using a sarong for multipurposes such as after swimming in the ocean and as a beach towel. The sand from salt water will be sticking to your feet and I would not choose to use the towel I dry off with after showering as a multipurpose item to become soiled from other uses.

I love using a lightweight cotton flannel infant baby bath towel. It's ightweight, packs small, big enough to to the job (but not too big), and dries draped over the foot of the albergue beds before morning when you need to put it away, and oh so comfortable. No polyester fabric towels for me, I dislike them immensely.
I do not understand using a sarong for multipurposes such as after swimming in the ocean and as a beach towel. The sand from salt water will be sticking to your feet and I would not choose to use the towel I dry off with after showering as a multipurpose item to become soiled from other uses.
I use the sarongs when we go to Mexico instead of beach towels. They dry quickly, and the sand shakes out easily. And the PackTowl really is much different than other camp towels that I've seen. The texture seems a bit weird at first, but it dries well without just moving the water around. That's why I'm torn between the two. And no, I'm not going to bring both!

I'm a big fan of sarongs and their many uses. For example, my sarong acted as a curtain and barrier last year at an albergue in Rabe where my bottom bunk was one foot away from one occupied by a pilgrim who was extremely, I mean extremely drunk - not good.

We were so close I was concerned that if my room mate vomited in the night he'd lean over and vomit all over me and my sleeping bag so I hung up my sarong as a makeshift curtain between us and relaxed, knowing that if the pilgrim did vomit, the vomit would hit the sarong and not me. I could easily wash the sarong - not so easy to wash a down sleeping bag and get it dried.

It wasn't a good night - I worried for the pilgrim and his health during the night and kept waking up to see if he was OK. In the event the pilgrim was OK - for which I was grateful, as were the others in the room - and he left very early in the morning without disturbing any of us in the room, which was considerate.

My sarong is one of the first things I pack for the Camino - it's an essential for me.

Chris - thank you for the tip about the lightweight cotton flannel infant's bath towel - I'll buy one later this week. It sounds a lovely thing to use on camino - my microfibre yoga towel just doesn't cut it - I think it was waterproofed before I bought it!

Cheers from Oz - Jenny

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@trecile , gidday

I elect the sarong.

When walking I wear a lighter weight kilt. As both a towel and kilt substitute in times of need I have a length of muslim sufficiently long to wrap around twice. About 100 gram (?4 ounces)

What is a foutah? I hated my pack towel too!

A fourtah is a Turkish, flat-weave cloth.... quick drying, absorbent, not too heavy, and available in loads of attractive patterns and colours. They range from small to very generous. Can be used as a light blanket or shawl when dry.... or as a sharon if you get one of the lighter weaves.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I migrated to a piece of thin linen that I bought at a fabric store as my towel. Really soaks up water instead of pushing it around, dries quickly and is light and packs small.

Silk or silk like sarong - multiple uses ,e.g after shower, extra bed liner or sheet when sleeping on a mat, beach, etc. etc. plus a small light travel towel for me ( because it's easier to dry hanging from a backpack e.g.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Cotton turkish towel!! I used a camping towel for the first few Caminos and wondered about all the chatter around sarongs and turkish towels etc. So last year I finally bit the bullet and ordered one on Amazon. And I love it. Def big enough to act as a curtain. Could be used as a light cover to nap. Def dries quickly...both myself and the towel!! And yes it weighs a few ounces more than my original camping towel...but only a tiny bit more. For someone who obsessively weighs every item by the grams, I think that says a lot. Go for the flat weave sarong/towel!! Buen Camino :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I did end up taking the sarong - but then I forgot it in an albergue in Lezama, where I had hung it up to make a curtain on my bunk. I had walked about 45 minutes when I realized that I had left it behind. Fortunately, I was walking through Bilbao that day, where there is a Decathlon store just a couple of blocks off the Camino, so I was able to buy a camp towel there. The Decathlon towel worked fine, but it wasn't as light and didn't work as well as my PackTowl.

Last edited:

€83,-

The sarong I found was great as it is multi purpose . I found the pack towel texture did not dry successfully and took longer to dry over night at the end of the bed

I take a shemagh in the warmer months. I've worn it on a few very hot days as a headdress, arab style. Thin cotton square 1m x 1m or so. It soaks up enough water after a shower and dries in about 10 minutes. Easy to wash and dry. Cheap to buy too.
https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/how-to-tie-a-military-style-shemaghkeffiyeh/

Forgot to mention that cotton shemaghs may be factory treated for sales\ presentation purposes. Mine was a bit hydrophobic \ not great at mopping water until after a few washes. Then it was fine. Don't take one when it is brand new without a few washes!

I took a very small PackTowel and a sarong. The combo worked well. Many uses for the sarong. It even kept my neck warm on cold mornings.

Quick dry towel

Definitely worth taking the sarong . It can be a sun shade , bed cover , towel and many other things . Light cotton . Wash heaps before you go to make it soft . Pacifica sarongs or Indian cotton . Cheap too

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.