• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sarria and cellos (aka sellos)

CWBuff

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances & Finisterre 05-07/22 Fran 26? d Nort 27?
Seems the way my stages mapped out I will be spending the night in A Balsa and the following one in Villei
For the sake of an argument let's say that I will get my only cello del Dia on eve of June 15 when I arrive to albergue
On June 16 I start walking and reasonably guaranteed 1 cello for that day in albergue on arrival.
My question is -
Given that I AM passing Sarria on that day do I HAVE TO get another one?
If so does it have to be in or after Sarria or can it be , say in San Mamede... or for that matter anywhere close to but still before Sarria?
Or do I not worry about the 16th at all and make sure that I get 2 a day starting 17th?

I guess it just became "questions"😇😁
Thanks in advance

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Slightly confused by your question. I'm assuming you are talking about stamps - sellos - rather than musical instruments :) The rule for claiming a Compostela is quite straightforward: 2 sellos per day in the last 100km. There is nothing special about Sarria and you do not have to get a sello there. But that should not be a problem anyway. Almost every bar or restaurant in the final 100km will have a sello. As will most churches if open. Or albergues. Plenty to choose from.

Sells they shall be then, not that there's anything wrong with cellos 😁
Thanks- so 100km is a magic marker
I'll start paying attention to have 2 when I get close to A Balsa...just to get into the groove

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Stupid spellchecker...
She sells cellos by the seashore... there 😇
Getting sellos is easy, you can get them anywhere. We took our 13 year old grandson, who got through several credentials, aiming to get as many as he could. He used an entire credential just to get from Sarria to Santiago. Such enthusiasm.
In most places he got much nicer sellos than we did, we'd just get the basic stamp - because he was a kid, people made him special ones, with sealing wax, stuck on decorations and little drawings. The man with the bird before Rabanal gave him an amazing one with wax.
I was under some pressure to keep him supplied with fresh credentials, but he does have a great memento.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You don't need to start collecting 2 stamps a day until you reach the 100km mark at Ferreiros about 12km after Sarria. You should be fine. Buen Camino!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
You don't need to start collecting 2 stamps a day until you reach the 100km mark at Ferreiros about 12km after Sarria. You should be fine. Buen Camino!
Not quite correct - you need, as a footslogger, at least two sellos a day for the last 100km to qualify for a Compostela.
What the credential actually says is that you should get at least two sellos a day - it's printed at the top of each page - over the whole of your Camino:

1655031974155.png

What the credential actually says is that you should get at least two sellos a day - it's printed at the top of each page - over the whole of your Camino:
Indeed. Not very consistent. I walked the Via de la Plata from Seville in January and February this year. Occasionally sleeping outdoors. A lot of places were closed and on some days I didn't get a sello at all. Mostly because I forgot all about it. If I had collected two per day I'd have run out of credencial space long before Santiago. One day in the last 100km after Ourense I forgot all about the "2 sello per day" rule and only received one. Having had a very officious reception on a previous visit to the pilgrim office I decided that I didn't want another argument to spoil my arrival and so didn't bother asking for a Compostela.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Indeed. Not very consistent. I walked the Via de la Plata from Seville in January and February this year. Occasionally sleeping outdoors. A lot of places were closed and on some days I didn't get a sello at all. Mostly because I forgot all about it. If I had collected two per day I'd have run out of credencial space long before Santiago. One day in the last 100km after Ourense I forgot all about the "2 sello per day" rule and only received one. Having had a very officious reception on a previous visit to the pilgrim office I decided that I didn't want another argument to spoil my arrival and so didn't bother asking for a Compostela.
One day? I'd have thought that, given the Covid situation, they would have cut you some slack.

Anybody that departs Seville and arrives in SdC deserves acknowledgement of the achievement.

Does the day walking into Santiago also counts?
does one get a sello in the cathedral and or at the pilgrims office?
I'm staying at Monte de Gozo hostel for the final night
Provided that I do have 2 for that day do I need to get something else in the morning or am I done?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Provided that I do have 2 for that day do I need to get something else in the morning or am I done?
Monte de Gozo is a bit soulless - once described to me as being like a ski-resort . . . at the height of summer!

Get two on your walk in to Santiago - there a a load of bars and cafes on the walk in.

The end of your journey will be (nearly) in sight!

BC

I am not sure why you seem to be over-thinking this. Getting two stamps a day is relatively easy anywhere along the CF, including on the last day you walk into Santiago.

My wife and I stayed in a hotel just past Monte de Gozo on our last night, and walked in from there to the pilgrim office without collecting another sello. It wasn't a problem. When I first walked the CF, my last day was from A Rua, and I did collect stamps for that day.

As for when to start collecting stamps after Sarria, fill your boots. I have seen many different claims about where the 100 km point is. When I last walked, there was a 100 km marker just before the albergue at Morgade, about a kilometre before Ferrioros.

My own view is that I start collecting stamps wherever I stop for coffee or a meal, as well as where I stay, from the very outset. If that means I need to get an extra credential or two, that is relatively cheap compared to the memories those stamps bring back months and years later.

Remember that we are not the arbiters here. As @Bradypus has pointed out, this will be someone in the Pilgrim Reception Office. They will be the one's that decide.

Last edited:
The Pilgrim Office are principally focused on the last 100km. Any other stamps can contribute to your distance certificate if you choose to get one but won't affect the issuance of a Compostela. Having said that, personally I think the stamps make the best momento of your trip so I would encourage you to collect as many as possible along the way.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You need two a day , so the last day when you leave Monte de Gozo you need also two sello's.

Slightly confused by your question. I'm assuming you are talking about stamps - sellos - rather than musical instruments :) The rule for claiming a Compostela is quite straightforward: 2 sellos per day in the last 100km. There is nothing special about Sarria and you do not have to get a sello there. But that should not be a problem anyway. Almost every bar or restaurant in the final 100km will have a sello. As will most churches if open. Or albergues. Plenty to choose from.
What happens if you stay several days in one place before the end of the 100km. Do you still have to get two sellos even when staying in one place?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Getting sellos is easy, you can get them anywhere. We took our 13 year old grandson, who got through several credentials, aiming to get as many as he could. He used an entire credential just to get from Sarria to Santiago. Such enthusiasm.
In most places he got much nicer sellos than we did, we'd just get the basic stamp - because he was a kid, people made him special ones, with sealing wax, stuck on decorations and little drawings. The man with the bird before Rabanal gave him an amazing one with wax.
I was under some pressure to keep him supplied with fresh credentials, but he does have a great memento.
off-topic, but...The man with the bird before Rabanal is STILL there??
I last walked the Camino in 2019 and he was there then, as well as many of my earlier walks to Rabanal.

Within 100km...get your two sellos the day you stop (both dated). One of them should be at the place/albergue/hotel you stop, or at least in the same pueblo/town/aldea.

The day you leave that place, get your first dated sello there. Get your second along the way, or where you stop for the night.

Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.