• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sarria here I come - May 2023

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, the last 100 km are crowded. Why do you choose Sarria to start ?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Starting from Sarria and reading how crowded it is. Starting out on May 29th - anyone else scheduled

Buen Camino!
Yes, it can be crowded from Sarria on but if you stop in places that are not the standardstops in the guides it can still be relatively quiet.
And you start on the 29th when all paid May holidays are over and done with, so less people making the most of long weekends to walk the last 100k.

I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

Buen Camino @MargaritaMel. Enjoy your pilgrimage!

The last 100 km are not uniformly crowded throughout the year. The biggest overcrowding on this stretch occurs in the months of July and August when the Spaniards take their vacations. During May and September, the key "overcrowding" occurs at points of the Camino Frances closer to SJPP.

Buen camino! You will have a great time.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, it can be crowded from Sarria on but if you stop in places that are not the standardstops in the guides it can still be relatively quiet.
This is a really good tip if you'd like to try to avoid the crowds a bit. You might have to plan a bit more in advance but there are some lovely casa rural type places to stay in the countryside.

The Gronze stages are: Sarria - Portomarín - Palas de Rei - Arzúa - O Pedrouzo - Santiago. I don't have access to the popular Brierley book but his stages might be the same. To go off-stage, you could possibly do a shorter stage than Portomarín (22km) on day one to ease you into the rhythm of the walk and to set you up for the remainder of it.

More people start in Sarria than anywhere else, so it’s not exactly an unusual decision. It’s the last 100km of the most common route.

Buen camino @MargaritaMel!

Exactly! And lots of people have limited time due to work and familycommitments or limited paid holidays.
As a European I am fortunate to have a good amount of holidaytime and prices for transportation to Spain are relatively cheap.
If I had to travel overseas I might also choose one of the last 100 kilometers on a Spanish Camino, especially if a Compostela would be a goal for me.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have several reasons - primarily to find within me the person that was there who required less and appreciated more

The fountain of wisdom on this forum , @mspath , always says it beautifully :
"
"Le cœur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît pas/ the heart has its reasons, of which reason knows nothing."
Pascal, Les Pensées ".

Ultreia!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Buen Camino!
And you start on the 29th when all paid May holidays are over and done with, so less people making the most of long weekends to walk the last 100k.

I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

Buen Camino @MargaritaMel. Enjoy your pilgrimage!
Thank you

I hope to be doing the whole thing in 2024!
You will be doing the whole thing this year. Your pilgrimage starts wherever you start, and is not governed by some artificial dictates about where any particular camino route might start. You might choose to do a longer route at some later time, but it will be the 'whole thing' for that new pilgrimage.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think that heart does not need the Compostela nor any paper...
Indeed, and if that is one's own perspective, sharing that view might be appropriate. I wonder what makes it appropriate to challenge someone who has stated that they want to get a Compostela. That doesn't seem particularly helpful.

That doesn't seem particularly helpful.
Understanding why people act as they act would not be "particularly helpful" ?
That does not seem a cartesian point of view, and I am not sure that Pascal shared it...
But you are right: every body start where one want to start, and if a Compostela can be earned, that should not be my business...
Unfortunate Galicians...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That does not seem a cartesian point of view, and I am not sure that Pascal shared it...
But you are right: every body start where one want to start, and if a Compostela can be earned, that should not be my business...
Unfortunate Galicians...
Whichever trade organisation represents the Galician hospitality industry is probably overjoyed.

You will be doing the whole thing this year. Your pilgrimage starts wherever you start, and is not governed by some artificial dictates about where any particular camino route might start. You might choose to do a longer route at some later time, but it will be the 'whole thing' for that new pilgrimage.

Beautifully said.

Buen Camino @MargaritaMel !

Indeed. I don't necessarily want to nor need to share my reasoning for doing any particular thing. I don't feel the need to share the details of every meal I eat on Facebook just because I can. I take the same view with many other things in my life. More, there are many places where I don't have the relationship with another that might give that other person the right to ask, and this place is one of them.

I share my private thoughts on matters in circumstances of my own choosing, and so there are many questions here that I don't bother to respond to because I think they are intrusive. If I don't want others to understand why I do something, then it's no-one else's business anymore. Only if I want to share that might I have given some tacit permission to engage in discussion on the matter.

Whether or not there was such permission in this case is unclear to me. Certainly the flow of discussion did not seem to me to indicate that a deeper enquiry into a persons motivation was warranted, and then to challenge them on that even less so.
t to get a Compostela ?

Last edited:
If you are starting slowly due to knee issues, then take your time. Perhaps plan on 9-10 days? There are nice albergues in Morgade, Ventosa, Portomarin, etc. and if you start early in the morning, you avoid a lot of the crowds. They tend to start later for some reason.
During my Camino last spring, we walked from Samos to Barbedelo and the next day, completely missed the crowds coming from Sarria until almost noon. After that, yes it was busy, but I enjoy seeing and hearing the excitement of the many groups. They are all so happy.
Enjoy the beauty of Gallacia and have fun.

Starting from Sarria and reading how crowded it is. Starting out on May 29th - anyone else scheduled
I have read the thread, and just want to wish you well on your first Camino.
You have been offered some helpful ideas to ease the risk of overcrowding, particularly looking at interim stopping places on the pilgrimage other than the 'recommended' stage ends.
I see there is a bit of a discussion in your thread about why your compostela is important. (In Spanish, I gather that discutir has an element of argument, more usual in a remote, online kind of exchange than is possible in a face to face exchange).
It is your privilege. It is your business.
Look after your Compostela, hoping you succeed, buy the tube to protect it, frame it - or, as I do, slide it under the glass on a coffee table to remind you of the experience and the achievement! Buen Camino.

If yo uwish, you could also start in one of the other points that is 100 km like Montforte de Lemos (Invierno), Tui (Portuguese) , or Ourense (Via de la Plata) which are also different Camino routes that all end in Santiago but also qualify for a Compostella. They are likely to be less crowded.
Thank you

I have read the thread, and just want to wish you well on your first Camino.
You have been offered some helpful ideas to ease the risk of overcrowding, particularly looking at interim stopping places on the pilgrimage other than the 'recommended' stage ends.
I see there is a bit of a discussion in your thread about why your compostela is important. (In Spanish, I gather that discutir has an element of argument, more usual in a remote, online kind of exchange than is possible in a face to face exchange).
It is your privilege. It is your business.
Look after your Compostela, hoping you succeed, buy the tube to protect it, frame it - or, as I do, slide it under the glass on a coffee table to remind you of the experience and the achievement! Buen Camino.
Thank you for your thoughts. I speak Spanish & interpreted discutir as “discussion”. No harm no foul and am enjoying everyone’s posts. Thank you everyone for taking the time to post!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you are starting slowly due to knee issues, then take your time. Perhaps plan on 9-10 days? There are nice albergues in Morgade, Ventosa, Portomarin, etc. and if you start early in the morning, you avoid a lot of the crowds. They tend to start later for some reason.
During my Camino last spring, we walked from Samos to Barbedelo and the next day, completely missed the crowds coming from Sarria until almost noon. After that, yes it was busy, but I enjoy seeing and hearing the excitement of the many groups. They are all so happy.
Enjoy the beauty of Gallacia and have fun.
Thank you!

This is true, but on my first camino I definitely wanted a Compostela for visual proof to myself of my accomplishment, and looked forward to receiving it. On my third Camino when I walked every single step of the Camino Frances I wanted the Distance certificate.
I no longer care to collect those "pieces of paper" as you call them, but am happy to have the ones I do have and I don't care that they stay rolled up in their tubes.🙂
I doubt there are very many first-timers that do not anticipate standing in the line in Santiago to receive one.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A Compostela means nothing to you. Great! But clearly, it has meaning to others. That's fine, too. If people derive value from that piece of paper, how does it help anyone for us to try and take that value from them?

I have done Caminos where I had no interest in getting a Compostela and Caminos where I looked forward to it. I'm planning to do my next Camino in vicare pro someone and will certainly be getting a Compostela.

There is no need to rain on anyone's parade.

Likewise, there seems to be a strong tendency to warn people away from the Sarria to Santiago portion of the Frances because of "crowds". Compared to my 1989 Camino, the entire Frances in 2016 was immensely crowded. Guess what? I loved it! I tend to like fellow pilgrims. I think they add to the experience. Which isn't to argue against those who prefer a more solitary walk. I'll be doing the Camino Madrid myself this summer. But let's not be so quick to say that a solitary Camino is the only way to go and that one surrounded by other pilgrims is a bad thing.

Just my opinions.

On another topic, you will see much discussion on this forum pro and con hiking poles. I'm not entirely unbiased, but I would definitely recommend them for anyone walking with knee problems. I developed knee issues early in my 2016 Camino and am convinced that the Camino was saved by my acquisition of hiking poles when all else wasn't proving sufficient.

I think starting in Sarria can be a great place to ease in and experience the Camino. Consider how many people we have seen start their first camino in SJPdP and discontinued due to injury by Zubiri or Pamplona, because they weren’t prepared for the terrain, had blisters, were injured and exhausted.

Sarria offers great infrastructure. It has a variety of accommodations from a shared room with a bunk bed, to a comfy 4 star hotel or a great casa, as well as chances to eat inexpensive pilgrim meals or-dine and experience wonderful Galician food. It has lots of no pavement path…more than many sections of the CF which is particularly helpful for those unaccustomed to walking on pavement for long distances. Lastly, one ends in the magical city of Santiago de Compostela! And the scenery is mostly conducive to reflection.

If one needs solitude, as others have suggested stay in the inbetween towns, or start early or later to miss the crowds!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think starting in Sarria can be a great place to ease in and experience the Camino. Consider how many people we have seen start their first camino in SJPdP and discontinued due to injury by Zubiri or Pamplona, because they weren’t prepared for the terrain, had blisters, were injured and exhausted.

Sarria offers great infrastructure. It has a variety of accommodations from a shared room with a bunk bed, to a comfy 4 star hotel or a great casa, as well as chances to eat inexpensive pilgrim meals or-dine and experience wonderful Galician food. It has lots of no pavement path…more than many sections of the CF which is particularly helpful for those unaccustomed to walking on pavement for long distances. Lastly, one ends in the magical city of Santiago de Compostela! And the scenery is mostly conducive to reflection.

If one needs solitude, as others have suggested stay in the inbetween towns, or start early or later to miss the crowds!
Thank you so much for such an encouraging msg. My decision on starting from Sarria feels better to me.

A Compostela means nothing to you. Great! But clearly, it has meaning to others. That's fine, too. If people derive value from that piece of paper, how does it help anyone for us to try and take that value from them?

I have done Caminos where I had no interest in getting a Compostela and Caminos where I looked forward to it. I'm planning to do my next Camino in vicare pro someone and will certainly be getting a Compostela.

There is no need to rain on anyone's parade.

Likewise, there seems to be a strong tendency to warn people away from the Sarria to Santiago portion of the Frances because of "crowds". Compared to my 1989 Camino, the entire Frances in 2016 was immensely crowded. Guess what? I loved it! I tend to like fellow pilgrims. I think they add to the experience. Which isn't to argue against those who prefer a more solitary walk. I'll be doing the Camino Madrid myself this summer. But let's not be so quick to say that a solitary Camino is the only way to go and that one surrounded by other pilgrims is a bad thing.

Just my opinions.
Interesting interpretation on the ❤️ that I posted. Too much was read into it and the response from Pafayac was simply charming to me. Levity in life is globally appreciated

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This is a really good tip if you'd like to try to avoid the crowds a bit. You might have to plan a bit more in advance but there are some lovely casa rural type places to stay in the countryside.

The Gronze stages are: Sarria - Portomarín - Palas de Rei - Arzúa - O Pedrouzo - Santiago. I don't have access to the popular Brierley book but his stages might be the same. To go off-stage, you could possibly do a shorter stage than Portomarín (22km) on day one to ease you into the rhythm of the walk and to set you up for the remainder of it.

The Brierly 'stages' are Sarria - Portomarin - Palas de Rei - Ribadiso (just before Arzua) - Pedrouzo - Santiago.

The same. So a double 'whammy'.

Depending on how far you want to walk each day and therefore how many days you have allowed, some of the intermediate places are really nice. In fact it's all nice!

We've stayed in Ferreiros and just before that is a nice place on Morgade.
Ventas, a bit after Portomarin is nice. Just a couple of places to stay in the lovely countryside.
Salceda, and Santa Irene.....
Lavacolla.

So many nice villages to stop along the way.

We have avoided the crowds quite effectively at times by just staying at intermediate locations.
And / or...........if you are not pushed for time, leaving later than everyone else! 9am - 10 am for example.
This is made easier of course if (a) you have booked the next night ahead, so you don't need to rush to secure a bed and (b) You are not staining an an Albergue that will kick you out at 8am.

Re an earlier post about taking 9-10 days. I'd agree, if you have the time.
On my first Camino, I was down to 10-15 kms / day by the time I got to Sarria, due to injury.
I think I took 8 or 9 days to get to Santiago. I really enjoyed those stages as i 'dawdled' along :)

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Watching the weather for my April 26-May 1 walk. Too early to see the future, and now my question: Disposable ponchos( maybe 2) or more reliable poncho? Just carrying a very small backpack( bags...
Hi Everyone, This is kind of embarassing! I am leaving in 2 days, for my 3rd Camino and will primarily be walking the Camino Frances in April. My previous Caminos have been in June and June/July...
if needed, can I purchase a rain poncho along my upcoming route from Tui to Santiago de compostela? As I watch the weather forecast for April 25-May 1st it appears TODAY that there will be very...
I will be starting my walk in May 2024. I will have my iphone with t-mobile service, which works fine in most of Europe. My question is for those of you who have been on this route, and had your...
Preparing from Tasmania (island state of Australia) to walk about a month of the VP at my slow pace (maybe average 15km/day) with just the essentials on my back (so currently obsessed with the...
Hi All, Rachel from UK here. I walked part of the Camino in 2019 (6days from Pamplona). Last year I walked Frances until Leon. 2024 is the route to Santiago. Any tips from Leon to Santiago...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back