• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sarria or Vigo as a starting point

MirtaC

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi everone!

My sister and I are planning to do the Camino next year either in June or July 2023 and walk the last 100 km due to time constraints.

Debating either do the walk from Sarria or Vigo. Which of these is better on the knees?

Thanks so much!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Both are 100k-ish. Neither is particularly challenging. If you choose to use those 3-4 months to do any amount of training at all, your knees will not be an issue.

The Vigo starting point would definitely be better for the knees, from experience of having bad knees myself.

It's not especially difficult from Sarria, but the Way from Vigo is still easier. The route from Vigo is also shorter, and IIRC it's 99K and has a dispensation from the normal 100K rule, whereas Sarria is at 112K I think (some sources may say it's less, but the distances on the Francès have recently been revised upwards by the regional authorities).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Having walked both routes, I’m going to give my nod to starting in Vigo. In addition to being a few wonderful walking stages, you also have the opportunity to visit historical cities like Vigo and Pontevedra. If you have an extra day, I’d encourage you to consider taking the Variante Espiritual, with the caveat that the day out of Pontevedra up to Armenteira has a significant uphill climb. If your knees are up to the VE, the final leg by boat up to Padron is extra special. The other advantage over the Sarria route is that the crowd should be smaller which for me is always a plus. Nonetheless, both are great walks. You can’t go wrong either way.

The Vigo starting point would definitely be better for the knees, from experience of having bad knees myself.

It's not especially difficult from Sarria, but the Way from Vigo is still easier. The route from Vigo is also shorter, and IIRC it's 99K and has a dispensation from the normal 100K rule, whereas Sarria is at 112K I think (some sources may say it's less, but the distances on the Francès have recently been revised upwards by the regional authorities).
Having done both routes and also having knee issues, I would also vote for walking in from Vigo as being the one slightly better on knees.

Hi everone!

My sister and I are planning to do the Camino next year either in June or July 2023 and walk the last 100 km due to time constraints.

Debating either do the walk from Sarria or Vigo. Which of these is better on the knees?

Thanks so much!
To inject some objective measurements into the conversation, my favorite mapping app (mapy.cz) shows that the Camino from Vigo to SDC is exactly 100 kilometers, with total ascent of 1493 meters and total decent of 1281 meters. From Sarria to SDC is 114 k, with total ascent of 2009 meters and total descent of 2189 meters.

In sum, the walk from Vigo to SDC is slightly shorter and somewhat less hilly than the walk from Sarria.

In the end, though, I wouldn't base my decision on those numbers, for neither camino is particularly hilly. The hardest thing on my (also balky) knees is steep descents and uneven, rocky ground, and you'll find that there are few steep sections on either of those caminos, while the trail itself on both routes is almost entirely on smooth, relatively manicured surfaces (often pavement).

Most important, as noted above, is whether you want to be accompanied by lots of other walkers or by fewer. As set forth in the statistics from the Pilgrim's Office in SDC, walkers on the Sarria approach to Santiago outnumber those on the Vigo approach by a factor of 2.5 to 1. That's a big difference, which you'll appreciate -- for bad or good -- on the trail.

More subjectively, most people (me included) find the towns on the last section of the Portuguese more interesting than this on the France.

But chacun a son gout! You won't go wrong whatever you choose.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I cast my vote for Vigo…and I haven’t even been there. I did finish off my last Camino (Del Norte) from Pontevedra, because I couldn’t face the hordes from Sarria onwards again. You will meet plenty of pilgrims on the Portuguese (2nd most popular Camino).

I cast my vote for Vigo…and I haven’t even been there. I did finish off my last Camino (Del Norte) from Pontevedra, because I couldn’t face the hordes from Sarria onwards again. You will meet plenty of pilgrims on the Portuguese (2nd most popular Camino).
Off-topic, but it doesn't look that hard to DIY one's way between Boimorto on the Norte, and Sigüeiro on the Inglés.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Off-topic, but it doesn't look that hard to DIY one's way between Boimorto on the Norte, and Sigüeiro on the Inglés.

... or Baamonde to Sigüeiro to Muxia and do the Finisterre in reverse. Lots of rolling Galician countryside.

I dropped a cheap (but necessary) power bank along the route and only discovered my error when I stopped for a second breakfast at one of the small village cafes. While sitting there, a local in his 4x4 drove up and went into the cafe to ask who might have lost it. Very relieved as I didn't have a paper map as a backup.

The camino provides.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back