• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sarria - Santiago in November, Help for a brokenhearted fat guy

nellog

Hi,
I need to get away. Can't hold it, I feel a hand bringing me to Santiago. We traveled so much and EVERY single thing reminds me of her.

I was thinking about doing the Sarria - Santiago stretch starting on the 15th or 16th of November.

A few questions.

Reading around I found out that Tui - Santiago is more beautiful and easier. Recently I visited Ireland and I really want an immersion in nature so maybe Tui is the best option. I want to be alone but honestly, meeting people after I went through would be an amazing thing. It likely that I'm gonna meet some peregrinos from Sarria, right? Am I even gonna meet anyone from Tui in mid November?

I'm obese but determination fuels me, in Ireland I walked a lot. 15km was around the most and I went up Diamond Hill in Connemara (Hardest thing I've ever done and the descent was so beautiful and rewarding)
I want to push me over the limit and the fact that it's winter pumps me up a bit. Do you think I will be reasonably safe? Will I have problems finding accomodations every 10/20km from Sarria? And from Tui?

Well, in the end my mind was on Sarria - Santigo but now I'm torn.

Thank you,
Nello.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Don't expect many companions on Tui-Santiago. It is less hilly, but there is more dangerous road walking than on the Sarria-Santiago route. Also, there are fewer stopping points if you find you need to stop more often. I did not find the scenery superior from Tui; just the opposite. I suggest sticking with the Sarria starting point. Be aware that albergues are closing in the smaller places. Buen camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
i just finished the Camino and I loved the Sarria to Santiago part! A bunch of eucalyptus forests and I walked about 10-15 km a day-there are lots of places to stay and if the Albergue is closed they have pensions open. Do it!! And Buen Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
November 15 is in 2 days! Cool!!

The weather has been quite rainy recently here in Galicia but the good news is it's not too cold yet - highs between 10 - 15ºC (50 - 60ºF) every day, lows around 7 or 8ºC (40'sºF). The rain can be a downer but if you're prepared for it and stop every 10 - 20km like you anticipate it shouldn't be too bad. The nice thing about Galicia is that many days the sun will still come out for pockets at a time, so it's kind of fun to try to and predict how long this rain shower will last, when the sun will come out next, etc. Fun, I tell you!! :)

Lots of pilgrims still coming through Santiago every day. We keep thinking low season will hit soon, and it's definitely not as busy as it was in Sept/ Oct, but Santiago is not as quiet as it used to be in previous Novembers, either! So I'd say you'll still meet people on the trail between Sarria and Santiago. Many people this time of year have been walking on to Finisterre and Muxía as well.

As for the walk itself, the terrain can be pretty hilly between Sarria and Santiago, but if you listen to your body and stop for a break when your feet get hot/ burning, you'll go a long way to preventing blisters. Trekking poles will help take weight off of each leg/ foot, and packing as lightly as you can will also help. I'd still bring a sleeping bag, though - the nights can get chilly and sometimes heat, and blankets in the albergues, are hit or miss.

Sounds like you've gone through a traumatic time. Hope the Camino provides you with space and time to think and start healing. We speak blessing and peace over you. Take care and Buen Camino!
Faith

Santiago is not as quiet as it used to be in previous Novembers
Actually, there has been 266 fewer pilgrims to date this November than last November, not a big change. Rain is predicted for every day from November 15 to November 26! Take a poncho.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi,
I need to get away. Can't hold it, I feel a hand bringing me to Santiago. We traveled so much and EVERY single thing reminds me of her.

I was thinking about doing the Sarria - Santiago stretch starting on the 15th or 16th of November.

A few questions.

Reading around I found out that Tui - Santiago is more beautiful and easier. Recently I visited Ireland and I really want an immersion in nature so maybe Tui is the best option. I want to be alone but honestly, meeting people after I went through would be an amazing thing. It likely that I'm gonna meet some peregrinos from Sarria, right? Am I even gonna meet anyone from Tui in mid November?

I'm obese but determination fuels me, in Ireland I walked a lot. 15km was around the most and I went up Diamond Hill in Connemara (Hardest thing I've ever done and the descent was so beautiful and rewarding)
I want to push me over the limit and the fact that it's winter pumps me up a bit. Do you think I will be reasonably safe? Will I have problems finding accomodations every 10/20km from Sarria? And from Tui?

Thank you,
Nello.

I understand how you feel. My thoughts and prayers are with you and sincerely hope this time to walk the camino will bring healing and peace.
Blessings and Buen Camino.
Karen

My vote is Sarria to Santiago...then somehow make it to Finesterre and /or Muxia and see if there with the waves crashing around you you might beable to come to terms with that "we" your reference...it would be a great
place to do it! Finesterre while glancing out at a sunset...Muxia where the waves are so large you are left to realize that there is SO much more out in this world than we all realize...
Buen Camino!
I hope the Camino helps provide what you need for your heart to mend.

I walked with youngster on the Norte who was doing the same. He had a ring to throw in the Ocean at the end of the walk.
Our last time together was spent in my favorite Norte spot...having a late breakfast the day coming out of Castro on a bench overlooking the water. I left him to think that day...and I told him I wouldn't think
of carrying that ring another step ...Never saw him again as he was doing a nice slow Camino.

Hi,
I need to get away. Can't hold it, I feel a hand bringing me to Santiago. We traveled so much and EVERY single thing reminds me of her. .........Thank you,Nello.
I can't help you with route choices, Nello, as I'm yet to start my first camino in September 2015, but I hear your pain and just wanted to say that you're in my prayers during this dark period. It will lift, but at the moment I know it's tough.
Take care, Suzanne :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I agree with Shewhofollowsshells! Sarria to Santiago and then on to Finisterre. Walking from Tui is beautiful but lonely at this time of the year, maybe you will do another time. I hope the best for you during this sad and dark time in your life, I know the Camino will help you and you will be better off afterwards.
My best thoughts, buen camino.

[

I'm obese but determination fuels me, in Ireland I walked a lot. 15km was around the most and I went up Diamond Hill in Connemara (Hardest thing I've ever done and the descent was so beautiful and rewarding
Thank you,
Nello.[/QUOTE]

hi Nello
Physically you should be fine dont wear new shoes and keep your pack light .

:)

You might also want to keep your stages at the 15-20km level, at least for the first few days. This stretch of the Camino has many accommodation options, and your hospitalero or innkeeper will likely be happy to help you in planning. Pay attention to the locals when it comes to weather.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
... It is less hilly, but there is more dangerous road walking than on the Sarria-Santiago route...
Where is the dangerous road walking?
I must have taken a detour.

I would like to thank everyone for the suggestions and the beautiful words, they helped a lot.

I've been holding it back but in the end, this morning at 5, I booked my tickets. I'll be departing on the 20 and coming back on the 1st of December. I have a layover and will arrive in SCQ at 8.30am on the 21st, looking at timetables for the Santiago-Lugo-Sarria busses I should be in Sarria before 1pm. Should I begin the walk or spend the night there starting my journey on the 22nd?

I really hope I can make it to Santiago by the 30 walking a minimum of 15km a day to catch my plane the morning after. I'll do my best to be determined and finish early to go to Fisterra or Muxia but I'm not gonna worry about that too much. I'll enjoy the moment one step at the time and I plan on walking the entire Camino in the near future.

Waiting was maybe a good thing, the weather doesn't look too bad.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
El Camino will help you as it helps all of us that walk it with an open mind and a loving heart.
I'll recomend you to spend your first night at Sarria to recover better from the trip and to activate "The Camino way" in your body and mind. Also, if you arrive at 1pm you will not have many hours of sun to walk that day.
Sarria is an active Camino town and you'll get a nice Camino feeling there. At this time of year that last stretch of El Camino is not as overcrowded as in summer, but you will find a lot of Peregrinos there.
Don't worry about your time schedule. You have 9 days and only 115 kms to Santiago with no particularly difficult parts. Enjoy it and listen to your body while El Camino heals your mind.
Buen Camino, Peregrino ¡

I echo Wayfarer's sentiment. Explore Sarria the day you arrive and start out fresh the following morning.

BTW, if I recall correctly, the steepest climb on this last 111 km section is about 900 meters in altitude, over perhaps 5 km, on the second day out of Sarria. It is a gentle ascent, and nothing you cannot handle if you just take it one step at a time. Consult your guide to the exact information.

You will do fine. There are many places to stop for a break, have coffee, and stay in hostals, or small hotels if the albergues are either closed or not to your preference.

I hope this helps.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would like to thank everyone for the suggestions and the beautiful words, they helped a lot.

I've been holding it back but in the end, this morning at 5, I booked my tickets. I'll be departing on the 20 and coming back on the 1st of December. I have a layover and will arrive in SCQ at 8.30am on the 21st, looking at timetables for the Santiago-Lugo-Sarria busses I should be in Sarria before 1pm. Should I begin the walk or spend the night there starting my journey on the 22nd?

I really hope I can make it to Santiago by the 30 walking a minimum of 15km a day to catch my plane the morning after. I'll do my best to be determined and finish early to go to Fisterra or Muxia but I'm not gonna worry about that too much. I'll enjoy the moment one step at the time and I plan on walking the entire Camino in the near future.

ENJOY!!

Making that commitment to book the ticket is the hardest part. Good for you that you're going. I too remember that section as being pretty, and you should have plenty of time to do it. I stayed at the Hostal el Pedra, at the eastern end of town. It has rooms (24 euro in 3013) as well as being an albergue. Do try and get to Muxia IF you can. It's really beautiful there, and I would think the Albergue Bella Muxia would still be open. Great atmosphere there. Above all, start slowly, pack light, take hiking poles, and enjoy both the solitude and companionship you will find. Let us all know how you do. Buen camino, Cherry

The highway crossings around Porrino had fast traffic and narrow shoulders. Also Redondela and north of Redondela.
Where is the dangerous road walking?
I must have taken a detour.

The highway crossings around Porrino had fast traffic and narrow shoulders. Also Redondela and north of Redondela.

I must admit that I don't remember any dangerous road walking after Tui either. In Portugal, there was some tricky walks on roads but I didn't think anything wrong with the Tui - Santiago stages. Maybe it's just a "by comparison" or the routes changed. My only disappointment with that section was that there were not as many / as high hills as from Sarria. It was beautiful and wonderfully historic though.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I loved the Sarria to Santiago walk - filled with enchanted forests. If you want to take it easy on your first day of walking, there is a Casa Rural about 8 km out of Sarria called CASA DE CARMEN. A warm, welcoming environment. A lovely family.

Sarria to Santiago is a beautiful route and there are plenty of places to stop for breaks and overnight. (Lugo to Santiago is also wonderful but less populated and fewer places to stay and stop). Take time to take in the experience and enjoy. I am unfit but managed without difficulty. Buen Camino

I did it.
Got a blister so big that when I arrived in Arzua the Doctor looked at it in awe. It got infected and I had to stay in Arzua 5 days.

It was amazing and inspiring, I've been home 3 days and I feel I healed a lot emotionally. I felt really good.
The only problem is that just an hour ago I fell down the hole again, it's weird. I feel I looked back and started to walk in the other direction, I must walk forward. I tought I was good and I'm in so much pain right now. Hope a night of sleep and thinking about my little adventure will bring me up again.

The Way made me realize that I can put this behind me.

I want to thank again everyone for the amazing words. I'm so glad I did it.
The Camino is very special and it doesn't end when you arrive in Santiago but right now I really wish I was still there...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I did it.
Got a blister so big that when I arrived in Arzua the Doctor looked at it in awe. It got infected and I had to stay in Arzua 5 days.

It was amazing and inspiring, I've been home 3 days and I feel I healed a lot emotionally. I felt really good.
The only problem is that just an hour ago I fell down the hole again, it's weird. I feel I looked back and started to walk in the other direction, I must walk forward. I tought I was good and I'm in so much pain right now. Hope a night of sleep and thinking about my little adventure will bring me up again.

The Camino is very special and it doesn't end when you arrive in Santiago but right now I really wish I was still there...
Thanks so much for getting back to us on this. Hang in there.

I did it.
The only problem is that just an hour ago I fell down the hole again, it's weird. I feel I looked back and started to walk in the other direction…..

Hi Nellog,
I think that where it really counts-your heart- that you're 'still there' and always will be…….and someday you'll look back and remember the day that you found a person who "loved the pilgrim soul in you. And loved the changing sorrows of your face" W.B. Yeats

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Well done Nello! You have just proved that the Camino conquers all once and it can continue to do so. Dwell on those positive parts and stay with us. The people here are a great support group.

I did it.

Hi - so glad you made it. It's hard being back home, but hopefully time will continue to heal you, and let the camino do its part in that process. Look at all the wonderful pictures and videos on this site when you're down, that might help as well. And plan for your next camino. Take care of yourself, Cherry

Hi Nellog, due to your breakup you will feel sad and lost for a while. Start planning a new camino, there are so many beautiful caminos waiting for you. When you feel bad, read your diary and remember the times on the Camino. The very best to you, you will get through this.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
@nellog good on you for sticking with it and making it. The Camino does not go away. It is there all the time, in the background of our lives when we are at home, in the foreground when we walk. Take strength from that. I'm always planning my next Camino, even though sometimes it has taken a few years to get there.

I did it.
Got a blister so big that when I arrived in Arzua the Doctor looked at it in awe. It got infected and I had to stay in Arzua 5 days

Welldone Nello
Maybe you could start planning another 2 week walk for mid 2015. Day dreams are a nice distraction

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi,

A few questions.

Thank you,
Nello.
Hy, welcome on this forum. Start from Sarria, finding accomodations is no problem. I wish you a Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back