• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sarria scams

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
They have been at it for years in the woods, normally two women - it's a scam. Don't give them money and don't sign the 'petition', just walk away. The same goes for the women selling twigs of rosemary in Santiago (and get a bit confrontational if you get roped into a conversation). Not sure why they are still doing it; it must mean it is worth the trouble for them and that someone actually gives them money?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes this is an old one - lots of threads on the Forum on the subject. They don't show any signs of stopping - in fact they may be getting bolder: we were actually approached in a bar in Sarria last October by one of these women with her clipboard. I had to say "no" very firmly several times before she wandered off (we were the only customers at the time). The bar owner nodded at me but shrugged - obviously a familiar sight.

Incidentally, when too many people are on to these young ladies and their scam at Sarria, they drive into Santiago and work the same scam all over the old city. I see them there every summer. After four years, they usually recognize me and turn away as I approach...go figure...

A good Spanish phrase I learned from a Spanish friend who sells roasted chestnuts in the Pamplona city center. No es no. A woman was following me in Ponaferrada, begging I think, I turned to her. And firmly said no es no and she laughed and said Buen Camino and left me with a smile. At a cafe table I turned away an insistent bracelet seller with the same words and I got a frown but he stopped talking and left.
Stop and buy some chestnuts from Josemi in Pamplona. He is very kind and you have to ask him for chestnuts. No sign but a lovely umbrella covered cart complete with a fire oven.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A good Spanish phrase I learned from a Spanish friend who sells roasted chestnuts in the Pamplona city center. No es no. A woman was following me in Ponaferrada, begging I think, I turned to her. And firmly said no es no and she laughed and said Buen Camino and left me with a smile. At a cafe table I turned away an insistent bracelet seller with the same words and I got a frown but he stopped talking and left.
Stop and buy some chestnuts from Josemi in Pamplona. He is very kind and you have to ask him for chestnuts. No sign but a lovely umbrella covered cart complete with a fire oven.
What a nice post!!!

Triple like :)

Leaving Sarria there are 2 women claiming to be part of a deaf-mute association asking for money. I gave them 2 Euro and as I handed it over I got a feeling it was a scam. I texted a pilgrim ahead of me who said it was a scam, and to check pockets. Heads up!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
old one indeed. I remember a brilliant move from a shopowner who just politely shrugged and told " Yes I know this trick ".
Now when these " entrepeneurs " ask me something I repeat that quote....in French, Spanish or English depending where I am.... ;)
:rolleyes: , have to keep this in mind . Love it .

As others have noted, they have been at it for years. They usually work the 4 km stretch outside of Sarria before Barbadelo but, as others have pointed out, you can find them at other points along the way and in Santiago. I have seen them on the bridge leading to Portomarín and a couple of other places.

Sometimes there are more than two and they will employ the swarming technique, particularly with older pilgrims walking alone. I always warn my pilgrim groups to be on the lookout for them before we leave Sarria, and I have shouted at them to drive them away on more than one occasion when I have seen them attempt it on other pilgrims not travelling with me. Two of them come up to the target and do the "deaf-mute" schtick with the clipboard to draw the person's attention, while a third will get behind the person and attempt to open their backpack and steal something. They are familiar with my face by now and know that my groups have been warned and that I have phoned the Guardia Civil to report their presence, so I get nasty looks from them when they see me. The Guardia Civil always send a patrol car to shoo them away, but unless someone witnesses them committing an actual crime, such as pickpocketing or assaulting a pilgrim, there is very little the GC can do other than chase them off, knowing they'll be back later in the day or just move on to somewhere else.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That is so crazy. I saw these women with the clipboards both times on the CF, too. They are so ubiquitous!

The best scam I ever encountered was in my bank in the US. While I was up at the teller counter, I could hear a man talking on a cell phone in the bank lobby. He was telling somebody that he came into town to pick up his wife at the Heart Hospital and had car trouble and needed a little financial help. He didn't want to upset his wife, so was trying to take care of it before he went to get her and was ashamed to be asking for money. He ended by saying, "That's okay, I understand. Thanks anyway. Do you have any suggestions about who else I might call?"

He was dressed nice and seemed to be a bank customer. He never approached or asked anyone there in person for money; he was just talking on the phone and could be overheard. Since I was at the teller anyway, I asked for an extra $20 cash back and handed it to him as I left the bank.

Two weeks later, I was back at the bank and so was he, making the same phone call! I thought it was ingenious. He was breaking no rules, not begging, just letting himself be overheard by people who had access to ready cash and kind hearts. (Anyway, I snitched on him to the bank manager, who threw him out).

Are these always the same two women? I was approached as well, but didn't think they looked "old", and I felt guilty ignoring them if they really were deaf as I hadn't yet heard of it being a scam. If they have been soliciting for years as some here are saying, why do they still look youngish? Maybe it's a big racket that has many "volunteers" over many years. ?

It's a business, like any other business. It's not the same girls, it's just girls that look just like all the others. There may be Gang masters rather than managers but the structures are remarkably the same. Junior and senior employees, performance plans and targets. Promotion and demotion depending on delivery against plan. And a wealth of experience that enables sound planning and delivery. Know your market and you will know your profits. One of the reasons the 'girls' don't get to pocket the returns. Try that in any retail, or 'chugging' environment and you won't last long as an employee. Though there is always prostitution or drug trafficking if you want to try another branch of the company.
It's unlikely that you will be pickpocketed by this particular team. The Guardia would have to take action and it would be vigorous. The base line return from dropping a couple of girls off in the sticks with water and a picnic is good enough to not bother with anything that might provoke the authorities. And don't worry about that other great Camino myth: writing your real address on their petition won't get the USA / UK / Swedish branch of the gang rifling your knicker drawer. Just don't give them your email anymore than you would to Cambridge Analytics

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Chris, thanks. The bugger is that these girls are stuck in the same environment as any other group of disenfranchised, poorly educated, marginal socio-economic people's. Their needs are no different to our own. Food, shelter and hope. But please don't give them any money. It will only be when the gang masters realize that an educated girl, in a proper job, can make a bigger contribution to 'family' that this will all stop.

Thank you, Tincatinker. This can't be repeated often enough. I've been a member of this forum since 2013, and this has come up every year. Obviously, it's a lucrative business.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I still remember the facial expression of the woman with a clipboard when I yelled "Scam!". She definitely was not deaf and understood English. She was holding her breath and appeared to be holding back yelling something at me.

-Paul

In June 2016 I had one of them become aggressive to me when I declined. She started to pull at my arm and my backpack....always be careful

They are in every decent sized city in Europe, but I was really surprised to see them in the woods outside of Sarria. Just ignore and keep on walking. Don't let them get close to you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There is a lot of truth and falsehood to be sorted in life. Beggars are just a small part, so don't get too exercised over them. Make a guilt-free decision, and you will be fine. One grabbed my arm once for a more assertive plea, and she may still be nursing damaged ear drums! Ask is OK, but no tocar!

Are these always the same two women? I was approached as well, but didn't think they looked "old", and I felt guilty ignoring them if they really were deaf as I hadn't yet heard of it being a scam. If they have been soliciting for years as some here are saying, why do they still look youngish? Maybe it's a big racket that has many "volunteers" over many years. ?
It’s not always the same two, no. It is a family, so the faces change. The men are never out there running the scam, just the women. The men are sometimes close by, with a vehicle to drive them on to the next spot if things get too complicated there.

Leaving Sarria there are 2 women claiming to be part of a deaf-mute association asking for money. I gave them 2 Euro and as I handed it over I got a feeling it was a scam. I texted a pilgrim ahead of me who said it was a scam, and to check pockets. Heads up!
They were there both times I walked the Frances. In 2017 the man at a bar nearby told me that he saw them on their cell phones while they were taking a break, (from being deaf-mute?).

That is so crazy. I saw these women with the clipboards both times on the CF, too. They are so ubiquitous!

The best scam I ever encountered was in my bank in the US. While I was up at the teller counter, I could hear a man talking on a cell phone in the bank lobby. He was telling somebody that he came into town to pick up his wife at the Heart Hospital and had car trouble and needed a little financial help. He didn't want to upset his wife, so was trying to take care of it before he went to get her and was ashamed to be asking for money. He ended by saying, "That's okay, I understand. Thanks anyway. Do you have any suggestions about who else I might call?"

He was dressed nice and seemed to be a bank customer. He never approached or asked anyone there in person for money; he was just talking on the phone and could be overheard. Since I was at the teller anyway, I asked for an extra $20 cash back and handed it to him as I left the bank.

Two weeks later, I was back at the bank and so was he, making the same phone call! I thought it was ingenious. He was breaking no rules, not begging, just letting himself be overheard by people who had access to ready cash and kind hearts. (Anyway, I snitched on him to the bank manager, who threw him out).

if you could hear him I am sure the staff could hear him as well, how many days had he been in there, if you were there two days and he was there both I am sure he had been there many times before, and the staff didn't altert the manager, they did nothing but allow it to happen, very disappointing..........

Incidentally, when too many people are on to these young ladies and their scam at Sarria, they drive into Santiago and work the same scam all over the old city. I see them there every summer. After four years, they usually recognize me and turn away as I approach...go figure...

This is a little off-topic, t2, but, speaking of scams, your post reminded me that I have not seen that guy who walks around Obradoiro selling CDs and wearing a cape draped with tuna ribbons. Probably in his 60s. He is VERY belligerent and aggressive, but the last time I saw him, he recognized me no doubt as the equally belligerent peregrina who told him that if he bothered me again I would go to the police. But I realize I didn't see him last year -- do you know who I mean, and have you seen him recently?

Yes, my wife and I ran into these people in the woods outside Sarria back in 2014. In my heart I knew it was a scam, but in the spirit of charity (like so many others on this Forum), I handed over a couple of Euros as well, and we went on our way to enjoy the rest of our Camino. I was mad at myself for not listening to my first instinct, but figured a couple of Euros wasn't the end of the world. The next day as we were walking a wooded path somewhere between Palas de Rei and Arzua, we found 5 Euros on the ground. Apparently good karma was returned....;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Correction: NOT Palas and Arzua! It was between Portomarrin and Palas! It's been a while!! I need another Camino to refresh my memory! :p

I miss the "Fonfria crepe extortion lady" from my early Caminos. Offering a free snack then aggressively insisting on a euro payment. But at least I did get a crepe and it all seemed to fit with the Camino experience. No so with the fake deaf-mute scam!!

I think every area/city has its scams/street vendors/ beggars. Paris it’s the “I found a ring” scam while being surrounded by a number of children, Rome it’s the umbrella/sunglasses guys, Dublin it’s the woman with her “baby” sitting silently on the steps of the church. Lisbon it was a woman with a sign begging table by table at an outdoor cafe. Genius, as she put her sign down on the table over a friends phone and when she and her sign left, so did the phone.
I live in Toronto and like any large city we have our fair share of panhandlers. I give if I can and when I wish but I always carry loose change or coffee cards in my pocket. Whether you give or not is purely a personal choice and one not to feel guilty about one way or another. But I would humbly suggest not digging in wallets, purses, backpacks, etc for money. I think that is where the danger lies. Have a few dollars/Euros in an easily accessed pocket and take the money from there. Don’t give people a chance to grab your wallet.

They work in teams - have seen them switching. And that faked voice? The speak perfectly normally when there isn't a "Mark" around!

They work in teams - have seen them switching. And that faked voice? The speak perfectly normally when there isn't a "Mark" around!
They move around each day. We passed them three times, on three separate days, just over a week ago. On the first occasion I nearly paid up but was quickly suspicious. On the second occasion they were being dropped off at the roadside by their gang master for their days work. The next day we were approached and I told them in no uncertain terms to clear off, which they did. They are not deaf.

I once worked with somebody who was profoundly deaf and even my sad attempts at BSL were accepted with grace - he'd been there for two years and everybody else used to write him notes (he's a computer drafting technician). If anybody would like to learn some genuine sign language then THIS can be useful.

I can spell in BSL and ASL (Spanish SL uses similar, one handed, spelling to ASL - the accents make a slight difference) but that's a tedious way of communicating - imagine "speaking" to somebody and spelling out every word!

Phone texting has revolutionized things of course and finger spelling "text speak" can speed things up.

I'll confess some self interest here - after 45 years as an engineer on heavy construction sites I now wear two hearing aids ;)

I wonder what the reaction would be if you signed to these scam artists?sorry.JPG

SSL.png

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I once worked with somebody who was profoundly deaf and even my sad attempts at BSL were accepted with grace - he'd been there for two years and everybody else used to write him notes (he's a computer drafting technician). If anybody would like to learn some genuine sign language then THIS can be useful.

I can spell in BSL and ASL (Spanish SL uses similar, one handed, spelling to ASL - the accents make a slight difference) but that's a tedious way of communicating - imagine "speaking" to somebody and spelling out every word!

Phone texting has revolutionized things of course and finger spelling "text speak" can speed things up.

I'll confess some self interest here - after 45 years as an engineer on heavy construction sites I now wear two hearing aids ;)

I wonder what the reaction would be if you signed to these scam artists?View attachment 40939

View attachment 40937
I have two hand signals, should the occasion present itself. The first would be the extension of the middle digit of the right hand followed by the signal for, "L," provided in a dramatic way, to punctuate. They do not want my staff to take over the converasation. It can make itself understood before first aid would be required.

The most important point is to never be seen as a victim. Do not slow the pace, or avert the eyes. From their point of view, (these young women), we are on a conveyor belt. They have their job to do when anyone comes along. Our job is to not allow them to do their job sour the milk, so to speak, as previously mentioned.

Hope this helps.

I was just in Paris and had a guy approach me with the ring thing, but I didn’t really understand. As a rule I don’t talk to pushy strangers in touristy cities, so I firmly said no to him, but he seemed genuinely willing to give me the ring for a Euro. What is the scam? Is the ring cheaper than it appeared? Does he take it back? He had put it on my finger, but I took it off and gave it back.

I was just in Paris and had a guy approach me with the ring thing, but I didn’t really understand. As a rule I don’t talk to pushy strangers in touristy cities, so I firmly said no to him, but he seemed genuinely willing to give me the ring for a Euro. What is the scam? Is the ring cheaper than it appeared? Does he take it back? He had put it on my finger, but I took it off and gave it back.
The French can be truly romantic - you may well have passed up on your life long partner and father of your children . . . . nah!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
All you have to say when you were approached by his crew is one word: doesn’t matter what European language. It’s “police”. They walk away immediately.

The French can be truly romantic - you may well have passed up on your life long partner and father of your children . . . . nah!

Haha! Yes, this gave me a good laugh. But this guy was twice my age (and I’m not that young!) and smelled a little too boozy for my taste, so romantic or not, I had to let him go.

https://europeforvisitors.com/paris/articles/paris-gold-ring-scam.htm

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Have seen these people Oct 2018 - just kept walking, pretending to not understand whatever it as they were saying... Plenty of others coming up behind, so they abandoned me quickly...

Walking on, I had wondered whether I should have engaged with them and asked about the cause behind their petition, with the underlying intention of seeing just how long I could keep them occupied... Maybe drop the pen and clipboard as I moved... And I would have signed the petition in the name of T Abbott, Esq, Parliament House Canberra (Aussies will get the joke...). My wallet was safe from pickpockets, and my backpack opening was at the top and high, so that was probably pretty safe as well.

Even genuine petition promoters get nothing from me at home, so there si no way that I would be signing a petition in another country for a cause that I knew nothing about. And they had no hope of getting a 'donation' from me, although I did hear from others who also passed this way that sometimes they did get a little aggressive 'asking for a donation from those who signed their petition.

They have been at it for years in the woods, normally two women - it's a scam. Don't give them money and don't sign the 'petition', just walk away. The same goes for the women selling twigs of rosemary in Santiago (and get a bit confrontational if you get roped into a conversation). Not sure why they are still doing it; it must mean it is worth the trouble for them and that someone actually gives them money?
I had a similar experience in Seville last year and it was rosemary too!

I miss the "Fonfria crepe extortion lady" from my early Caminos. Offering a free snack then aggressively insisting on a euro payment. But at least I did get a crepe and it all seemed to fit with the Camino experience. No so with the fake deaf-mute scam!!
She caught me too, I just couldn't remember where it was.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
"No es no" = "No means No!"

Please understand that if you give any amount of money to the scammers, it's not charity, in fact you are supporting a criminal gang and actually are a part of crime although you will not be prosecuted for it due to the small scale and that you can and will claim good faith. Considering that the girls do not work for themselves and don't get your money for themselves, you may be supporting drug trade, arms trade, human trafficking, all the typical gang activities. Not what a good Christian should be doing. Have a backbone please!
https://blog.tripcreator.com/10-europe-travel-scams-and-how-to-avoid-them/

For charity there are plenty of legal and actually working possibilities wether your local parish, care home, animal shelter, or Doctors without borders, SOS villages for children, Red Cross, etc.

I live in India, so beggars and scam artists are a daily, constant fact of life. The women who come up to town carrying rent-a-babies know me of course and never bother to try, and sad to say I've developed a bit of a hard heart, having to ignore so much pleading all the time. Of course, I have a few favourites and when convenient, give to them. But the gut instinct is well developed...

This scam is rife from Sarria to Santiago.

The scam is either for you to get your wallet out for a “grab and dash”, or when surrounded by a multitude of children, the ring acts as a distraction while you are being pickpocketed by little hands.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
"No es no" is the phrase (like someone else said) - stated directly with eye contact but not yelling or condescending - I've used it more than one time on the camino and every time it has worked well ;-)

I ran into women with a clipboard saying they were deaf at an airport-- I'm trying to think where. Sorry, but all airports look the same. They were waiting at the top of an escalator. I told them to buzz off--
When I lived in Rome, I ended up in a relationship with a mother who waited outside the church I attended (Santa Maria de Trastevere), she would follow me asking for "pampers"-- I had a baby too at the time. That grew into giving her some money. I was uncertain about giving her the money. But we would both sit at the fountain nursing our babies, and smile at each other. So...
Here where I live now, I keep a printed card giving information on where to get a free meal in our city, or where to get help if you need it. (Social services office.)

Desert Bruce said:
She caught me too, I just couldn't remember where it was.[/QUOTE

Me too, last Fall.

e

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Same scam happen to me and my wife. But miracles happen on the Camino. The police happen to show up and the two ladies could suddenly hear and talk: very loud and very fast. I was told they were professional pick pockets. Keep your distance and don’t stop walking.

I don't see that as extortion. I think she has found a brilliant way to make pilgrims happy and make a little money doing it. Nothing scammy about that. I always look forward to seeing her.

"found ring" in Paris -someone shows you a ring, said you must have dropped it, no not mine you say, then they say they can't keep it, it is against their religion to keep something that isn't theirs, you keep it. if you say okay, then they want a reward! this was explained to me by a Parisian, don't talk to them, don't touch or take the ring.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We had a supposed boyfriend/girlfriend combo tell us they were retracing their Camino and needed money to get back to St. Jean. Seemed a little weird so we declined giving them money. They said they were from one of the eastern European countries.

I saw them yesterday on tbe walk outside Sarria. They approched me. I was on my own and when I looked at the clipboard and realised the scam as had read this thread, I walked off with them making aggressive noises. About time the police do something.

Across Europe, it is generally not illegal to solicit contributions, panhandle, or even beg. The more clever amongst this strata make an effort at providing entertainment in return...aka ‘busking’ in the UK vernacular.

However, as long as people contribute, this practice will continue. Some, likely a small percentage of these folks, ARE genuinely needy.

But do consider that most EU countries have comprehensive social welfare programs. This is why all taxes are so relatively high.

As a general rule, nationals of a country living within the society, and known to the authorities, are provided for, according to the standards set in that country.

Also, as a frequent visitor and guest in European countries, it is inappropriate for me to criticize how they manage matters such as this. What I can do is note that, some countries have more generous welfare support programs than others. Reported statistics and migration data all support this assessment.

I can also state that, having done the research, the Southern European EU states of Greece, Italy, Portugal and Spain have much lower welfare payments, per capital, than their more prosperous Northern European cousins, e.g. Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, the Netherlands and the UK (until BREXIT at least).

All of this is offered as background to explain the solicitation of funds along the Camino routes.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
@t2andreo you are quite correct in regard to the, sometimes, generous welfare systems available in most of the EC. But the 'deaf-mute' girls, the American woman in the Obradorio who has 'lost' her passport, the guy who has been robbed and whom the police won't help: well they're not welfare dependent, they are part of a huge and prosperous industry that feeds on the economic surpluses of the 1st world economies. And moves that money to the dark side with nary a blush.
I wish we could inform every innocent abroad of the decisions they will face. But we can't and while we don't one more 'professional' will earn their fee.

Just as an aside, and to demonstrate how well organised and audascious the people organising these scams are: during 2016-17, between the Ponferrada-Astorga regions, I read about large bookings of 100+ guests for 'family celebrations' booking out venues in northern Spain, pre-ordering set menus and then slowly but surley, after dinning, all the guests dissappearing without paying the bill, running into a couple of thousand+. They eat-and-run. I've never read of the culprits being caught. Unfortunately, Spain has been voted the no1 country for tourist scams in europe. But I've never let that spoil my adventures, I just keep my wits about me, those that I have left and havn't been stolen by old age ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.