• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sarria - SdeC in December (2017)

Felipe

Veteran Member
Last year, after much hesitation, I finished my pilgrimage with the Sarria-SdeC stages. I had somewhat avoided them in my previous walks, for no particular reasons. Just kind of a feeling...
Well, at the end it was, uhm, just ok.
So I have decided to give them another try, this time in December 2017; this winter walk seems a different social context and an interesting challenge.
A whole year before the walk may seem too much for planning, but I think that currently the topic is active in the forum. I am more or less knowledgable about weather and equipment (and yes, I have read the “Winter camino” threads). I am considering walking as far as I can, but not too much. That means, to me, between 20-25 km.
Looked also at albergues open in December (not many). I’d consider an ocasional hostal.
My first days are easy planning and “classical”:

Day 0: Sarria. Albergue Don Alvaro

1. Sarria-Portomarin (22.5 km). Albergue Ultreia

2. Portomarin-Palas do Rei (25 km) A rather long distance to me, but I like Palas.
Albergue A Casina di Marcelo (?)

3. Problem: Palas de Rei – Arzúa day (28 k) is too much, but Melide (14 k) is a bit short.
I tend to be restless when I still have energies but nothing to do...
I could stop at Boente (Albergue Boente, 20,5 km) or Castañeda (Albergue Santiago, 22.7 km)

4. Boente/Castañeda to Salceda (around 20 km....with long stop in Melide pulperias)
Albergue Salceda;
O Pedrouzo would be too distant.

5. Salceda to Lavacolla (around 20 km)
Albergue Lavacolla

6. Lavacolla – SdeC (11 km). Tadaaaaa!
Many albergue options.

What do you think? Other recommended albergues or stops?
I know that the situation may change on the spot, acoording to weather an other conditions (health, for instance, which to me is not a minor thing in winter). I will reserve only my first night, but I want also a general plan.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Xunta albergues should be all open in winter, so I would/will just wing it ;-) and don't over-plan it ;-) Buen Camino, SY

In January, virtually every place you plan to stay was closed when I went by! Many places say they are open all year, but it is not true. They may be open if they know you are on the way, so be sure to reserve or call ahead. Several are operated by the occupants, so they can be open. However, they may spontaneously close if no one is expected. I was just dropping in, so I was not surprised when they were closed. Buen camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
currently in Galicia on CF- here is my experience:

1) agree with SYates: no need to over plan- Haven't encountered a local person who wouldn't try and help if you needed anything- knowing some basic Spanish phrases will really help

2) Not sure if this list will be working in 2017:

http://aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/

Website for all the winter albergues open- mostly correct, but some other albergues not on the list are open as well- only twice was an albergue on this list closed when it says it is open.

3) All the xuntas are open. But there are currently NO kitchen utensils at all, making a xunta kitchen useless unless you carry your own pots and plates, mugs, cups, etc.

4) It is good to have a mobile because some of the private albergues would open for you if you called them (but they don't necessarily live on site so you have to prearrange it) - and a small data plan for an emergency albergue check, though again, locals are really helpful they aren't always aware of which albergue is open

Last year, after much hesitation, I finished my pilgrimage with the Sarria-SdeC stages. I had somewhat avoided them in my previous walks, for no particular reasons. Just kind of a feeling...
So I have decided to give it another try, this time in December 2017; this winter walk seems a different context and an interesting challenge.
A whole year before the walk may seem too much for planning, but I think that currently the topic is active in the forum. I am more or less knowledgable about weather and equipment (and yes, I have read the “Winter camino” threads)
I am considering walking as far as I can, but not too much. That means, to me, between 20-25 km.
Looked also at albergues open in December (not many). I’d consider an ocasional hostal.

Day 0: Sarria
Albergue Don Alvaro

1. Sarria-Portomarin (22.5 km)
Albergue Ultreia

2. Portomarin-Palas do Rei (25 km) A rather long distance to me, but I like Palas.

3. Problem: Palas de Rei – Arzúa day (28 k) is too much, but Melide (14 k) is a bit short.
I could stop at Boente (Albergue Boente, 20,5 km) or Castañeda (Albergue Santiago, 22.7 km)

4. Boente/Castañeda to Salceda (around 20 km....with long stop in Melide pulperias)
Albergue Salceda;

Albergue Lavacolla

6. Lavacolla – SdeC (11 km)
Tadaaaaa!
Many albergue options.

I know that the situation may change on the spot, acoording to weather an other conditions (health, for instance, which to me is not a minor thing in winter). I will reserve only my first night, but I want also a general plan.
I have a December birthday and a yearning to spend it in Santiago one of these years, so this is a concept that has very real appeal to me. I"d prefer the 'informed float' rather than lots of planning. But I love where you are going with this, and I'' following with interest...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Not an expert in winter Caminos...but in my limited experience, they require more planning. If you unexpectedly find an albergue closed and you have to walk 3 or 4 km more, this is a mere nuisance in summer, but may be a serious problem in winter.
Not all abergues have kitchens, or kitchens with cooking utensils (as noted above). In little villages and rural areas, it may or may not be open shops and supermarkets for buying food.
Having said that, maybe the best part of plans are the moments when you need/decide to improvise on the spot...
Good, carefully chosen equipment becomes essential -I remember a time when my (cheap) poncho was torn into pieces by a strong wind. I was completely wet and felt miserable.
Spain has no extreme weather, nothing comparable with northern latitudes. But wind, light rain, muddy paths are normal in winter. Worse conditions are always possible. It is advisable to check the news or http://www.aemet.es for "orange alerts".
On the bright side, the ambiance in a winter walk, with much less people in the roads is much more social and friendly -great memories of nice talks besides fireplaces, warm welcomes of fellow pilgrims when I finally arrive (I always tend to be the latest ;)
And I like the bare, minimalist, melancholic winter landscapes.
AAAGDocs6.png
Hope to meet you, fellows, next December.

So I have decided to give them another try, this time in December 2017; this winter walk seems a different social context and an interesting challenge.
A whole year before the walk may seem too much for planning, but I think that currently the topic is active in the forum. I am more or less knowledgable about weather and equipment (and yes, I have read the “Winter camino” threads). I am considering walking as far as I can, but not too much. That means, to me, between 20-25 km.

Day 0: Sarria. Albergue Don Alvaro

1. Sarria-Portomarin (22.5 km). Albergue Ultreia

Albergue Salceda;

Albergue Lavacolla

6. Lavacolla – SdeC (11 km). Tadaaaaa!
Many albergue options.

I think both Albergues in Boente are only open from March to November, which is a shame because I really like the Albergue Boente. Also I think the albergue in Lavacolla is only open April thru October.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back