• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sarria to Santiago - 100 KMS

ManiBaskaran

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
Hi, we are first time travellers; my husband and I are planning for Sarria to Santiago last 100 KMS.

We are 57 and 60 years and I have a bit of knee problem but otherwise fit. Also I get afraid of the heights when I walk narrow elevation.

Can you please provide some details on this route? Is this something I can do?

Thank you

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, welcome to the forum.

"A bit of a knee problem" may or may not be a problem. Only you can know if you can walk 100km in, say, 5 days.

There are no exposed elevations on the Camino Frances between Sarria and Santiago.

https://www.gronze.com/camino-frances will provide information on route, accommodations and elevations. Its in Spanish but your browser will translate. There are also many excellent guidebooks available via Ivar's shop http://www.casaivar.com/

Happy planning

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As said above it really depends on how bad the knee is. Look at the elevations in one of the books mentioned; Brierly has a Sarria to Santiago book. My husband has an unstable knee (tendons/cartilage shot from repeated dislocations) and joined me for parts of it but had to go quite slowly, and we transported the bags daily between lodgings. As often recommended here, practice walking on hills before you go. And Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, welcome to the forum.

"A bit of a knee problem" may or may not be a problem. Only you can know if you can walk 100km in, say, 5 days.

There are no exposed elevations on the Camino Frances between Sarria and Santiago.

https://www.gronze.com/camino-frances will provide information on route, accommodations and elevations. Its in Spanish but your browser will translate. There are also many excellent guidebooks available via Ivar's shop http://www.casaivar.com/

Happy planning
To be fair, if you take more than 5 days that's fine too!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For full disclosure, we should mention that the bridge across the river to Portomarin can be a problem for some people, at some times. I walked with someone who was very uncomfortable with heights, and she managed by focusing on the sidewalk and road in front. In the spring when the reservoir is high, there is almost no issue, since the bridge is not so high above the water. However, in the fall when the reservoir is low, the bridge seems much higher. Look at this thread for more discussion.

I don't think there are any other places between Sarria and Santiago that would cause any discomfort.

Hi, we are first time travellers; my husband and I are planning for Sarria to Santiago last 100 KMS.

We are 57 and 60 years and I have a bit of knee problem but otherwise fit. Also I get afraid of the heights when I walk narrow elevation.

Thank you
You can spread it out over 7-10 days if you have no time constraints. At 82 that is my plan.
Buen Camino

You can spread it out over 7-10 days if you have no time constraints. At 82 that is my plan.
Buen Camino
Hi. I have an extreme fear of heights. I have only met one other person with it as bad. Weirdly I can’t remember this bridge as even looking at a photo of scares the hell out of me. It’s possible to walk along the road (dangerous as that may be)? Maybe that what I did? Anyway for those wit a fear of heights here was my thread fron the Norte re Ribadeo Beidge which stills makes me smile!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have a fear of both bridges and heights and at Portomarin I walked inside the guardrail against traffic and then stepped back over to the walkway and stood perfectly still with eyes shut till traffic passed. Then stepped over again back into the trafficway and continued. I was able to get across without having a panic attack.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have a fear of both bridges and heights and at Portomarin I walked inside the guardrail against traffic and then stepped back over to the walkway and stood perfectly still with eyes shut till traffic passed. Then stepped over again back into the trafficway and continued. I was able to get across without having a panic attack.
That sounds exactly the thing I would do and have done similar on much smaller bridges! Well played! Not sure if you have done Ribadeo Bridge but that option not really realistic sadly! Even doing that did not conquer fear. On a non Camino trip to Cuenca last year I couldn’t boring myself to cross bridge!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In sum, practice with whatever kit you're carrying on hills for some kilometers at a time before you go, go as slowly as you need to, ship heavy backpacks ahead if you need to. My husband ( we were 59 and 58) did the distance with a replaced ACL on one leg and a removed Bakers cyst on the other last July. I had to keep him properly fed and hydrated...but that's a different story. :)

The only elevation close to being narrow that I remember was the bridge...there are other ascents/descents, particularly a few km outside Portomarin and coming into/ out of Arzua, but not at all narrow, and not all that much.

Since you know that you have a knee issue, have you chatted with a doctor?

Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I too, have a phobia of heights, but having a fence makes a big difference in my fear factor as I feel safer. I didn't think the bridge at Portomarin was so bad, although I mostly chose to look straight ahead. Having walked it in late April twice, I never did see the other old, low bridge I have heard about.
Screenshot_20220617-190710~2.png
Screenshot_20220617-191208~2.png

I too, have a phobia of heights, but having a fence makes a big difference in my fear factor as I feel safer. I didn't think the bridge at Portomarin was so bad, although I mostly chose to look straight ahead. Having walked it in late April twice, I never did see the other old, low bridge I have heard about.
View attachment 127830
View attachment 127831
It all depends on the height of the bridge to me. Chest height and quite relaxed! Hip height and noooooo!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Thank you
Hello ..Maureen from Colorado. Did Sarria to Santiago in 2017 and heading back this September. age late 60’s. Knees aren’t the best. I do ortho visc shots in my knees paid for by Medicare that helps a great deal. Met and hiked with 83 yr old man …if he got really tired…stop in cafe and they can call a taxi if necessary for a couple euros. I would not stress. Take your time and plan on a rest day in a nice place along the way. I have all my rooms booked already for late September. Buen Camino…it is a joy

I don't like that bridge much either, and last time I put on a cracking pace to get to the other side quickly.
Then a couple with a double stroller stopped in front of me, and started to take photos of each other. My desperate need to be on the other made me cross the barrier and walk in the traffic lane to get around them.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Watching the weather for my April 26-May 1 walk. Too early to see the future, and now my question: Disposable ponchos( maybe 2) or more reliable poncho? Just carrying a very small backpack( bags...
Hi Everyone, This is kind of embarassing! I am leaving in 2 days, for my 3rd Camino and will primarily be walking the Camino Frances in April. My previous Caminos have been in June and June/July...
if needed, can I purchase a rain poncho along my upcoming route from Tui to Santiago de compostela? As I watch the weather forecast for April 25-May 1st it appears TODAY that there will be very...
I will be starting my walk in May 2024. I will have my iphone with t-mobile service, which works fine in most of Europe. My question is for those of you who have been on this route, and had your...
Hi All, Rachel from UK here. I walked part of the Camino in 2019 (6days from Pamplona). Last year I walked Frances until Leon. 2024 is the route to Santiago. Any tips from Leon to Santiago...
I am hiking the Norte and Primitive routes starting May 16, 2024. This will be my first Camino. I have access to the Buen Camino app, Gronze, and a guidebook which are all excellent at providing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.