• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sarria to Santiago. 4 days? or 5? Late November

Backagain

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo (2017)
Frances (2020)
I'm planning to walk just from Sarria to Santiago beginning on November 27. I don't have a lot of time away from work and my options are very limited, so I'd like to make the most of this time. I do have enough time to walk at the pace I want, and to have time at the end to allow several days for my covid test to fly home, but I'm trying to plan flights etc.

Should I plan for 4 or 5 days of walking? Will winter weather make the journey slower or the walking time less each day? Or might I go a bit faster in the off season with cafes closed and few other pilgrims?

If you've walked both "high season" and winter, was your daily distance or pace different in different seasons? What was the difference?

Thanks for any info you can share.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My family & friend group of 6 adults took five days in mid-Oct. 2019 to walk from Sarria to Santiago. We had rain every day, usually light, though the walk was pleasant. I don’t think other pilgrims slowed us down, other than the occasional line for a rest room!

We were happy to have a few relaxing days in Spain after we finished our 2019 Camino.

I’m not sure you’ll need extra days for COVID testing. If you bring the guided self-Covid-tests, you can take the test wherever you’ll be 72 hours before flying home. You have to buy these test kits before leaving home and you’d have to transport them on your Camino.

Are you allowing extra days in case you test positive? I’m here in Spain on the Camino now; interested in your thoughts.

I’ve walked Sarria to Santiago in three days and also taken seven. I got distracted by the Entrecot Vaca Vieja in the Parrillada Regueiro in O Pino one time and had to stay two nights. Depending on your own distractibility five days is ample even in winter and it seems you’ll have ample opportunity to enjoy Santiago
My distraction in Galicia is usually that fellow named Albariño

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm planning to walk just from Sarria to Santiago beginning on November 27. I don't have a lot of time away from work and my options are very limited, so I'd like to make the most of this time. I do have enough time to walk at the pace I want, and to have time at the end to allow several days for my covid test to fly home, but I'm trying to plan flights etc.

Should I plan for 4 or 5 days of walking? Will winter weather make the journey slower or the walking time less each day? Or might I go a bit faster in the off season with cafes closed and few other pilgrims?

If you've walked both "high season" and winter, was your daily distance or pace different in different seasons? What was the difference?

Backagain: My brother and I walked that leg of the Camino at the beginning of November 2013. Here is a link to my YouTube videos (playlist for Camino Week 4) https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5U2Hak114dGbbNZ8VNx-vHtY84ng0MMx. Day 27 is our departure from Sarria and we did walk in 4 days. However, it was 4 hard days due to the distance with wet cold weather. Leaving Melinde is about 50km to SdC and the weather beat us down, so we stopped early that day (video is in Week 5 playlist). If you are prepared for bad weather, it won't be so bad. We carried a spare pair of trail shoes so we would have dry shoes to change into in town at night. Also carried 3 pairs of socks for dry changes to prevent blisters. As November is the start of winter weather and cold temperatures, recommend an umbrella to help shield your face and jacket openings around your head. Watch the videos for your own assessment. Let me know if you have additional questions. Buen Camino!

Last edited:
I have walked in December a couple of times. Rain and a little snow and sunny weather and rain and some little more snow and some sunny weather, wind sometimes. Cold in the morning but after about 10 minutes in temps of about 32F/0C and I was taking a few things off. Walked in 4 days both times. Be prepared for everything and just accept what the weather brings you. If it is really bad well then you just have to wing it I guess.

I suggest five or else you will have some really long days and possibly in not so nice weather.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I walked the last 100 and some kilometers in November in 2009-- very wet weather throughout Galicia. That coupled with much shorter daylight hours, I would say take 5 days rather than cramming it into 4 days.

I've never walked in winter weather, but I would plan for it to take longer if it's particularly wet, and be happy if it's not.
I walked in 2009 during November and experienced torrential quality rains. Yes, it definitely slowed me down.

Backagain: My brother and I walked that leg of the Camino at the beginning of November 2013. Here is a link to my YouTube videos (playlist for Camino Week 4) https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5U2Hak114dGbbNZ8VNx-vHtY84ng0MMx. Day 27 is our departure from Sarria and we did walk in 4 days. However, it was 4 hard days due to the distance with wet cold weather. Leaving Melinda is about 50km to SdC and the weather beat us down, so we stopped early that day (video is in Week 5 playlist). If you are prepared for bad weather, if won't be so bad. We carried a spare pair of trail shoes so we would have dry shoes to change into in town at night. Also carried 3 pairs of socks for dry changes to prevent blisters. As November is the start of winter weather and cold temperatures, recommend an umbrella to help shield your face and jacket openings around your head. Watch the videos for your own assessment. Let me know if you have additional questions. Buen Camino!
I’m also planning a November Camino from Sarria so am very interested to watch your videos - thanks for sharing!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’m also planning a November Camino from Sarria so am very interested to watch your videos - thanks for sharing!
Abigail: My middle daughter, also an Abigail, is joining me to walk from SJPP to Muxia in April. Yes, please enjoy the videos. If you like my channel please subscribe. My video production quality has come a long ways since 2013. I will shoot new video of our 2022 trek and plan to take my drone for aerial shots. You can also follow our journey on my new "Bama Hiker" Facebook page. Do invest in high quality rain gear for your Camino. My Columbia rain jacket and pants just did not shed the heavy rain and I was wet to the bone on the worse weather days. Since then I bite the bullet and paid the high cost for an Arc'teryx rain jacket and pants, but it is fantastic rain protection. Best wishes to you for your Camino. Cheers!

Beginning our Camino October 9th from Sarria to Santiago with a 5 day plan but also added an extra day in Santiago should we be held up by weather. Buen Camino…..I AM SO EXCITED for this journey!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Have you considered starting in Ourense?

Have you considered starting in Ourense?
Thanks. I'm curious why starting in Ourense would be a response to a question about winter weather/walking on the Frances. Is the weather better in Ourense? I don't know and would be grateful for information.

When I got around the 100k marker after starting in SJPDP I had to fight the urge to continue walking through out the night. I was feeling good, the weather was good, the way was well marked with obvious land marks. I could be in Santiago by tomorrow! I didn't do it but the urge was there.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’ve done it in 3 days and regretted it - might as well have gone to the gym with a pre-packed tortilla. Even with snow on the ground and intermittent rain/snow 5 days is comfortable. If you have time, don’t rush off from Santiago.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I’d plan for 5 days, you just don’t know what the weather will be like…. but that’s me 🙄
This year I did Sarria to Portomarin, then Palas de Rei, Arzua. I had booked ahead, Lavacolla and Santiago but that was a mistake. I could have happily walked straight to Santiago (weather was perfect, very cool and I was in good shape). I arrived quite early and was bored the rest of the day. You just never know 🙄 Had it been very hot or raining heavily all day, I would have been grateful to stop in Lavacolla!
If you‘re happy to walk 40+ km even in bad weather, then, 4 days it is. 😉

A way to save a few hours is to start from Lugo instead of Sarria. To get to Sarria from SdC you take a bus and there is a connection in Lugo. I'm not sure of the connection wait time nor available the lodging situation but you can qualify for a compostela from Lugo (a stamp at the cathedral?). The camino from Lugo will eventually join the CF but you avoid crowds for a bit.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back