• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sarria to Santiago by Wheelchair

Offaly Rover

Time of past OR future Camino
St. Jean-pamplona may 2013; Sarria-Santiago April 2014, Pamplona - logrono may 2014
Hello... forming a group (10 booked so far with a max of 25).
Have been asked by an older couple if it's possible by wheelchair. They were enquiring re Gradients/obstacles.

He can walk a limited amount, using the chair to stand, when in the chair he can certainly assist with his arms the person pushing (his wife).

I don't know how to respond. Can you actually rent out power batteries for chairs. Are there stiles, streams with stepping stones, inaccessible portions?
I haven't even thought of suitable accomodation- we're using private accomodation.

Tom Cox

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It must be possible: 98 (0,04%) en silla de ruedas (in 2014) received compostelas.

I can think of several sections that looked impossible to me, but with assistance, they might be traversed. In many sections there are parallel roads that would be wheelchair accessible.

Shalom and Greetings from Jerusalem!

My final years of teaching were spent in a school for physically handicapped children and among my duties were theteaching of safety and operation of wheelchairs both classic and electric. I can think of several stretches which would be difficult-Sarria to Portomarin for example, on the positive side, in that part, most of the Camino is along very small roads and country lanes, when the Camino goes off through a forest, say after Arzua, the road is closeby allowing a rendezvous just past . There are albergues in Arca o Pino which have straight shot access from the street, Monte Gozo would be another obstacle due to all the steps. Maybe try and utilize a Camino guide for bicycles for alternatives. The Camino might be possible for a young person with an athletic style wheelchair, battery operated ones weigh far too much should one need a quick transfer or in navigating a staircase, you would need three people just to pick it up-Portomarin again but if the town is skipped one can slip right around and continue without that staircase and without the round-about road up to the top. It is a daunting enterprise with a high failure possibility-for you as a leader but more so for your pilgrim. Consider well.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Have been asked by an older couple if it's possible by wheelchair. They were enquiring re Gradients/obstacles.

He can walk a limited amount, using the chair to stand, when in the chair he can certainly assist with his arms the person pushing (his wife).

I don't know how to respond. Can you actually rent out power batteries for chairs. Are there stiles, streams with stepping stones, inaccessible portions?
I haven't even thought of suitable accomodation- we're using private accomodation.

Tom Cox
Hy , it is no easy task to do this in a wheelchair , you have to think this over very carefully . What ever you decide , I wish you a great and Buen Camino ,Peter.

I saw a man doing it in a wheelchair in 2014. He was a very athletic young man with arms of steel, and his chair looked like a special athletic chair, as Scruffy describes. It can be done, but would take some planning.

When I was volunteering at the Pilgrims' Office last May, I gave compostelas to a group of four young Polish women, one in a wheelchair. The other three had been her support all the way from SJPP. They said it was very hard, and that in fact they did have to take the road option frequently, which would put them where most of the bikes go, I assume. They were in fact using a bicycle guidebook.

It was a pretty emotional moment, when they finally completed their promise to this close friend. So, as everyone says, it can be done, but it will take a lot of effort and planning -- with huge rewards at the end. Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you so much for your very considered replies. It's good advice to obtain a "bicycle guide" as effectively that's what you need for a wheelchair. It is possible but the challenges are significant. The dilemma I have is that with a group, everyone will go at their own pace and are on their own journey. Everyone, including the people asking re wheelchair suitability, would not want to have people feeling they should help. I'll consider it with them, maybe over a bicycle guide and study gradients. I'm sure we'll come to a good decision. Maybe he'd like to drive a support vehicle as his wife walked- he might end up carrying us then with dodgy ankles and knees! Thank you for your help... you're a real camino family.

Maybe he'd like to drive a support vehicle as his wife walked- he might end up carrying us then with dodgy ankles and knees!
In their bureaucratic way, municipal albergues will not accept pilgrims with chase vehicles. If you are in private accommodations, that won't bother you in the least. Have a good pilgrimage.

Tom Cox
it's possible and i've seen several. that said, they will be on the highway several times on every stage (this is always dangerous, walking on the shoulder facing the traffic) as there are sections (many on each stage) that are impossible and/or inaccessible for wheelchairs. good luck.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Tom
I first did the section you mention in 2002 and was amazed to meet a very young quadraplegic guy doing his camino. He had two friends with him who pushed, pulled and carried his wheelchair the whole way from Leon to Santiago! As far as I could make out all of it was done on the camino proper. He relied on his two friends for everything from toileting help to dressing to feeding etc, etc. If he could do it, I am sure the chap who has asked you could manage as well. They may well need the help of a younger fitter guy to help with the rougher sections but do-able, I'm sure it is.
Wish them buen camino from me.

In their bureaucratic way, municipal albergues will not accept pilgrims with chase vehicles. If you are in private accommodations, that won't bother you in the least. Have a good pilgrimage.
Thank you... was thinking that might be the case.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Tom
I first did the section you mention in 2002 and was amazed to meet a very young quadraplegic guy doing his camino. He had two friends with him who pushed, pulled and carried his wheelchair the whole way from Leon to Santiago! As far as I could make out all of it was done on the camino proper. He relied on his two friends for everything from toileting help to dressing to feeding etc, etc. If he could do it, I am sure the chap who has asked you could manage as well. They may well need the help of a younger fitter guy to help with the rougher sections but do-able, I'm sure it is.
Wish them buen camino from me.
Thanks judydaisy

Also have a look here:
http://accesible.xacobeo.es

Click on the stages in the menu, there are hundreds if photos of the most difficult parts. Spanish only, but images might help you get an idea.
That's brilliant... gives a real good impression of the route. Of course the wheelchair route and bicycle route is quite different I'm sure. Thanks for the film "6 ways to Santiago"... only arrived in the Post today and a parishioner has it borrowed!

... Have been asked by an older couple if it's possible by wheelchair. He can walk a limited amount, using the chair to stand, when in the chair he can certainly assist with his arms the person pushing (his wife). ... Can you actually rent out power batteries for chairs. ...

Those pilgrims I saw on the Camino and that used a wheel chair were typically young and very fit in a 'sports wheel chair' and not older in a heavy, battery powered one. Also to consider is what is the support level for this idea in the rest of your group? Perhaps your idea of making the pilgrim that needs a wheel chair the support vehicle driver is the best solution. Buen Camino! SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Those pilgrims I saw on the Camino and that used a wheel chair were typically young and very fit in a 'sports wheel chair' and not older in a heavy, battery powered one. Also to consider is what is the support level for this idea in the rest of your group? Perhaps your idea of making the pilgrim that needs a wheel chair the support vehicle driver is the best solution. Buen Camino! SY
Yes... I was forming the same impression of lighter, sports type chairs and the importance of the physical profile of a wheelchair-piligrino and the need to consult a group on the matter. Along with the photographs Mr. Revke sent me it's given me a good sense of the terrain involved. Thank you... TomC

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
As this thread has come up, I thought it might be useful to see how some did it - two pulling, one pushing. I posted this in another thread but this seems more relevant

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back