• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sarria to Santiago de Compostela March 2018

Ann-MarieG

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2018
The excitement is building and we are preparing for our first Camino. We (12 of us) are travelling on 24th March from Ireland. We are starting from Sarria and doing the last section. Our trial Camino

I've been reading this forum for nearly a year now and have taken on board lots of tips and advice given to others. I'm excited about our journey and looking forward to meeting lots of new people along the way.

I'm a slow walker so will be on my own most of the way (obviously not on my own) and looking forward to lots of thinking time

Thank you for listening

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It is time for excitement! I remember the feeling for both my trips and will probably have it again. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The excitement is building and we are preparing for our first Camino. We (12 of us) are travelling on 24th March from Ireland. We are starting from Sarria and doing the last section. Our trial Camino

I've been reading this forum for nearly a year now and have taken on board lots of tips and advice given to others. I'm excited about our journey and looking forward to meeting lots of new people along the way.

I'm a slow walker so will be on my own most of the way (obviously not on my own) and looking forward to lots of thinking time

Thank you for listening

This is the best part Ann-Marie ... the anticipated mix of excitement & fear of the unknown You will love it! And don't worry about being on your own ... that only happens on the Camino when you make that choice. Everyone goes at their own pace. We're on the same path, but diffetent 'journeys'. I did this section solo last April & really enjoyed it. The weather was varied & could be quite cold (& misty) early mornings & evenings, but the company was incredible! This will be your first of many trips on the Camino ... I can guarantee you that! Nothing compares to the Camino comraderie. It will definitely call you back. Go neiri an bothar leat! Buen Camino to you & your fellow adventurers. Enjoy the experience! ☺

You will love that section. There are lots of places to sleep and eat. Variety of scenery. Most of the walking is on paths and lightly travelled roads. Nothing extra hard. Some people told me ahead of time that they did not like that section because it was “too commercial”. I did not find it any more so than any other previous. I really enjoyed the enthusiasm of new walkers, especially after 5 weeks of walking from SJPP. Enjoy every minute. And dont worry about walking alone. You are never too far away from others. Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Thank you for listening
Hi - my girlfriend and I are doing the same bit starting May 25th this year.. wanted to know the best tips you have sussed out from your readings especially footwear

Hi - my girlfriend and I are doing the same bit starting May 25th this year.. wanted to know the best tips you have sussed out from your readings especially footwear
Hi

My list of tips that I have sussed out so far

Footwear - trekking shoes or running shoes, light and comfortable. Wear lots before hand to "break in" and make sure they are right. I bought myself trekking shoes in October and have been wearing them a lot. I'm also bringing a pair of Kerrimor sandals that I bought for travelling around Thailand and Vietnam in 2016. I wore them every day for a month and they gave me great support as I was recovering from a broken leg at the time.

Socks - Cotton is not good. I bought 3 pairs of Merino wool socks in the sales before Christmas and they are so good.

Hotspots - stop and deal with immediately before they turn into blisters.

Clothes - don't bring too many. I'm bringing 3 changes

Money - take out at least 2 days worth of cash at a time in case any ATMs out of order or out of money.

Pace - go at own pace and don't try to keep up with anyone. I'm a slow walker and want to enjoy it. We've agreed that we will just meet up or check in with each other every evening

Stamps - we need to collect at least 2 sellos (stamps) per day for this last section to prove we've walked at least 100kms

Enjoy the experience

Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi

Footwear - trekking shoes or running shoes, light and comfortable. Wear lots before hand to "break in" and make sure they are right. I bought myself trekking shoes in October and have been wearing them a lot. I'm also bringing a pair of Kerrimor sandals that I bought for travelling around Thailand and Vietnam in 2016. I wore them every day for a month and they gave me great support as I was recovering from a broken leg at the time.

Socks - Cotton is not good. I bought 3 pairs of Merino wool socks in the sales before Christmas and they are so good.

Money - take out at least 2 days worth of cash at a time in case any ATMs out of order or out of money.

Pace - go at own pace and don't try to keep up with anyone. I'm a slow walker and want to enjoy it. We've agreed that we will just meet up or check in with each other every evening

Stamps - we need to collect at least 2 sellos (stamps) per day for this last section to prove we've walked at least 100kms

Enjoy the experience

Buen Camino
Hi

Enjoy the experience

Buen Camino

Welcome. You have it sussed out fine but keep back pack weight down 6 or 7 kg. 3 pairs of socks . 1 pair enough. It’s only 5/6/7 trek. 3 set of clothes. 1 enough for walking and1 evenening. Enjoy buen camino

Hello. My wife and i are in our late 40s and we plan to walk Sarria or Lugo to Santiago in June 2019. How long would the walk take? We originally saw the 6 day tours. But they were tours. We decided to walk the camino ourselves. If we had an average pace of about 4 km per hour, could we finish the last 100 km in 5 days?

Toby

Hello. My wife and i are in our late 40s and we plan to walk Sarria or Lugo to Santiago in June 2019. How long would the walk take? We originally saw the 6 day tours. But they were tours. We decided to walk the camino ourselves. If we had an average pace of about 4 km per hour, could we finish the last 100 km in 5 days?

Toby
I would suggest that you start a new thread, rather than to tag onto an old one. But to answer you question - I'm older than you, and could easily walk the 100 km in 4 days. But that doesn't mean that I might not enjoy taking 5 days to do it. I would definitely encourage you to do it on your own. A tour is definitely not necessary. Then, if you take less time you can take the bus to Finisterre and/or Muxia, or spend more time in Santiago itself. Or, you could start before Sarria.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Welcome @Numbaone Toby,

Trecile is absolutely right. Days are long in June and even at a very leisurely pace 20km per day is entirely possible. I'd probably break it up into 5km before breakfast (or second breakfast :)) 9 or 10km before lunch and then 5 or 6km to finish off the day, hopefully finishing before it gets too hot. But the beauty of not being on a tour is that you can do it exactly as you would like, you decide when and how you walk.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back