• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sarria to Santiago early July?

Lynbanana

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2023
Hello, I am only in Europe for 5 weeks from New Zealand visiting our first grandchild and am drawn to the Sarria to Santiago leg of the French Way (like so many others!) I was planning on starting 01 July but am worried about the heat - is it unbearable? I am also aware it is incredibly busy. How bad is it? Any advice truly appreciated🙏I would be on my own (hubby not interested at all)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello, I am only in Europe for 5 weeks from New Zealand visiting our first grandchild and am drawn to the Sarria to Santiago leg of the French Way (like so many others!) I was planning on starting 01 July but am worried about the heat - is it unbearable? I am also aware it is incredibly busy. How bad is it? Any advice truly appreciated🙏I would be on my own (hubby not interested at all)

It could be quite hot, perhaps around 30 C. Unbearable? Depends on who you are. I usually walk in August/September when it is very hot, but it doesn’t bother me. On that particular section of the Camino there is generally good opportunities of finding some shadow to take a rest and cool off a bit.

Yes, it is the more busy part and you may run into larger groups of walkers, but whether you will find it annoying or not is also a personal matter, the positive side is that you won’t feel alone/isolated.

Anyway, Buen Camino :)

July certainly can be hot but what the temperatures on the days that you walk will, of course, depend on the weather at that time. It may be hot, maybe not.

You should plan on it being hot and wearing appropriate clothes and carrying water and the lightest pack possible.

Your experience will be formed based on what you are used to. 40 degrees are common in July and we don't often get that in Aotearoa New Zealand.

Start and finish walking early to escape the worst heat.

Don't worry too much about crowds, along that stretch there is more than enough infrastructure to handle July numbers because August is the busy month on that stretch.

Go with the intention of enjoying yourself and be adaptable.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
July will definitely be warmer but that actually reduces pilgrim numbers. Also Sarria to Santiago is only a week's walk at the most. It's over before you know it.

It could be quite hot, perhaps around 30 C. Unbearable? Depends on who you are. I usually walk in August/September when it is very hot, but it doesn’t bother me. On that particular section of the Camino there is generally good opportunities of finding some shadow to take a rest and cool off a bit.

Yes, it is the more busy part and you may run into larger groups of walkers, but whether you will find it annoying or not is also a personal matter, the positive side is that you won’t feel alone/isolated.

I will be walking Sarria in Santiago first of September. Will I find it to be as hot as it is in summer ?

I will be walking Sarria in Santiago first of September. Will I find it to be as hot as it is in summer ?

Short answer, yes! September is still summer in Spain - but I think you will also find it a nice walk :)

Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It was hot, I walked late May until the beginning of July in 2017. That year we had a heatwave, and it was over 40 degrees when we reached Santiago.
I had somewhat acclimatized, as it was hot in May in NZ that year, and had been walking for a month by the time we reached Santiago. It was coolish in the mornings, but heated up a lot.
It was also extremely busy from Sarria, the only walk we have that busy is the Tongariro Crossing. where you can often see a conga line. Im not a fan of walking in such numbers, others dont mind it.
Its sort of like the beginning of a half marathon race, extremely congested at the beginning, and slowly spreads out.
If you haven't walked the rest of the Camino, you wouldn't know any different., I think its a shock when you've been walking in quiet country side for weeks on end, and then you hit the crowds.

It's only a day between the end of August and September. I found it extremely hot in 2016, but missed the heatwave in 2019 and it was quite pleasant.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Thank you🙏

It was hot, I walked late May until the beginning of July in 2017. That year we had a heatwave, and it was over 40 degrees when we reached Santiago.
I had somewhat acclimatized, as it was hot in May in NZ that year, and had been walking for a month by the time we reached Santiago. It was coolish in the mornings, but heated up a lot.
It was also extremely busy from Sarria, the only walk we have that busy is the Tongariro Crossing. where you can often see a conga line. Im not a fan of walking in such numbers, others dont mind it.
Its sort of like the beginning of a half marathon race, extremely congested at the beginning, and slowly spreads out.
If you haven't walked the rest of the Camino, you wouldn't know any different., I think its a shock when you've been walking in quiet country side for weeks on end, and then you hit the crowds.
Thank you🙏

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you're walking the last 100km in summer I would be careful not to start from Sarria at the weekend. That's when most people start. If you leave Sarria on a Wednesday the Camino will be fairly quiet (I've done this several times in the last few years). Also, stay a way from the big towns, stay in smaller places, accommodation shouldn't be a problem if you follow the "Wednesday rule".

Buen Camino!
Gerald

That’s so helpful Gerald - thank you! How far do you have to walk to get back in the track? Would love suggestions re towns to stay - thanks again🙏

That’s so helpful Gerald - thank you! How far do you have to walk to get back in the track? Would love suggestions re towns to stay - thanks again🙏
There are lots of places to stay on the last 100km without leaving the Camino. I recommend staying in small villages rather than towns. I don't want to get into recommending where because it's better that you decide that yourself (based on the distances you want to walk every day). Get a guide and look at what the options are. Gerald

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, yes it will be very hot at that time of year. May would be a more comfortable time to walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hello, everyone I am doing the camino de france next spring on a bike. It looks really rocky going down hill from Burguete. Is there a safer rought not going down the rocky path? Should I stay on...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
I will arrive at SJDP 1st of May .. less than a month to go ! Any tips? Should I train walking with my backpack ?
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back