• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sarria to Santiago Feb 15

• Thread starter Former member 42652
  • Start date
F

Former member 42652

Hi,

New to the forum but it looks to be a great resource. I'm hoping to do the above route in the next few weeks but I'm worried with it being a quiet time of year I'd wander into town and not be able to find any accommodation due to it being off season. Should I book in advance?

I was looking at booking a package deal but it seems to be way more expensive than just going it alone.

Also what's the best way to get from Santiago airport to Sarria?

Thanks and Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi and welcome,

Even the second half of February there will be enough places open and some other pilgrims around, so no need to book in advance. Also, all the Xunta (Galician government) albergues are open all year round. The way is well marked with good infrastructure so there isn't really the need to go with a package deal in my opinion. The majority of pilgrims 'do it alone' btw.

There is a bus from Santiago airport to Lugo and then another one from Lugo to Sarria. The following two web sites are a good starting point for planning your travel:

http://www.empresafreire.com/html/ingles/seccion0.php and http://www.alsa.es/en

Buen Camino! SY

Hi,

New to the forum but it looks to be a great resource. I'm hoping to do the above route in the next few weeks but I'm worried with it being a quiet time of year I'd wander into town and not be able to find any accommodation due to it being off season. Should I book in advance?

I was looking at booking a package deal but it seems to be way more expensive than just going it alone.

Thanks and Buen Camino.
Welcome Barry, There is a bus service from the Airport to Lugo and from there to Sarria. I booked into a small hotel in Sarria first night, it is right on the Camino, just follow the arrows from there. dpCristal is the name and it has English speaking staff, friendly and good food. There will always be Hostals (small one to three star hotels) open along the way, others will advise on the albergues.
Buen Camino.
http://www.dpcristal.com/

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi,

Thanks and Buen Camino.
you shouldn't have any problems finding a bed; however, i personally would double check before arriving as you will be walking off season.

all the major towns, which are the typical start or/and end locations for each stage, will have available accommodation, whether the municipal hostel or private ones, even smaller hotels etc. you might want to consider a luggage shuttle service, there are several that operate the Camino and in my opinion quite affordable.

Buen Camino!

Welcome Barry, There is a bus service from the Airport to Lugo and from there to Sarria. I booked into a small hotel in Sarria first night, it is right on the Camino, just follow the arrows from there. dpCristal is the name and it has English speaking staff, friendly and good food. There will always be Hostals (small one to three star hotels) open along the way, others will advise on the albergues.
Buen Camino.
http://www.dpcristal.com/

Thanks all,

That's perfect. I'll just get to the airport and then ask for information regarding the bus.

Could you or anyone else recommend hostels/hotels along the route? dpCristal looks perfect. I don't mind too much paying a little extra as I'll only be there doing it for 6 nights so between hostels and flights and food etc it should still come in less than 500e. I'm planning on stopping in Sarria, Portomarin, Palas do Rei, Arzua, Amenal, Santiago de C. so if anyone could recommend hotels/hostals that I can book in advance in each of those cities similar to dpCristal I would be very grateful. As I'm going in off season I'd feel more comfortable knowing I have places to stay.

I might stay an extra day in Santiago, I'm sure my hostel/hotel will help me with information as to how to get to the airport for my flight??

Thanks again all and Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back