• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sarria to Santiago in May

PatK550

Time of past OR future Camino
2nd May 23
Hello All, Myself (Pat) and one of our daughters Maria will be doing the Sarria to Santiago route starting 3rd May 23. My late husband of 45 years, Phil (father of 6) passed 5 months ago. We had often spoken of doing the Camino once he retired. It was not to be. So I decided a week ago today to do this shorter pilgrimage alone at 68. On finding that out, Maria jumped at the chance to join me. She will be carrying his RAF (38 year veteran, to my 6) back pack and I hope to get Phil's name added to my passport. Thank you all especially Ivar for hosting/running everything. I have learned so much in just one week.

Greetings and best regards from Connah's Quay, North Wales, 5 miles from Chester City Centre.
✅

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello All, Myself (Pat) and one of our daughters Maria will be doing the Sarria to Santiago route starting 3rd May 23. My late husband of 45 years, Phil (father of 6) passed 5 months ago. We had often spoken of doing the Camino once he retired. It was not to be. So I decided a week ago today to do this shorter pilgrimage alone at 68. On finding that out, Maria jumped at the chance to join me. She will be carrying his RAF (38 year veteran, to my 6) back pack and I hope to get Phil's name added to my passport. Thank you all especially Ivar for hosting/running everything. I have learned so much in just one week.

Greetings and best regards from Connah's Quay, North Wales, 5 miles from Chester City Centre.
✅

Go and know you'll have a "family" of other Pilgrim's right behind you on this forum!
(Please keep us all updated on your progress)

hope to get Phil's name added to my passport.
The following should be helpful.

This said, any pilgrim can dedicate their Compostela to another person who is either deceased or whose life situation or health make it impossible that they will ever be able to walk a Camino personally. Several of the parent and spouse situations mentioned here would qualify.

I have seen this done for parents, siblings, friends, lovers, and even a deceased pet or two - hey a name is a name. If you don't tell the staff person it is a cat or dog, only you and God will know.

All you do is tell the staff person interviewing you that you would like to dedicate your Compostela to another individual. Explain the situation and provide the full, correct name to the staff person.

They will inscribe the other individual's name at the bottom of your Compostela with the leading phrase "In Vicare Pro..." In Latin this means "in place of." This service is free and is done regularly.

This means a lot to folks who are religious and IMHO is very thoughtful. As indicated, you might ask for a second Compostela in your name only - without the inscription. This way, you can give the "In Vicare Pro" version to the other person, while having one for yourself.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

✅
Congratulations on your noble and most worthy decision to walk the Camino in honor of Phil. You will have an awesome adventure!

Welcome to the forum Pat. May you and Marie have a wonderful time together as you walk the final 100 Klm of the Camino into Santiago. Buen Camino to you both.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I hope you have a great Camino, Pat and Maria. I lost my wife last year after a long illness. She was my purpose in life but now I am looking forward to starting my Camino Frances beginning the 2nd May from Saint Jean Pied de Pont.

Buen Camino
🥀 Thank you Paul, i appreciate your empathy and offer mine in return 🌹Phil and our 6 children and 12 Grandchildren where/still are also my purpose in life.
Though I am finding I am able and capable of making some new purposes, it’s not always the easiest of transitions, but I am a level headed person and I know that the alternative is NOT something of value for anyone. I still want to make Phil, our kids and grandkids know ”I’ve got this“ and they don’t need to add my well-being to there long list of duties 🌹🙏
I had a bit of a rough ride in basic training in the RAF My D.I. Was a ‘trunchball’ she was that ridiculous it actually didn’t even phase my 17 year old self. She did me a favour TBH 😁🤣

✅
What a wonderful tribute! You are brave and 68 is still young. If you are walking through Normandie en route to Mont St Michel, we have accommodation in our guesthouse. You would be welcome.
🥀 Thank you Paul, i appreciate your empathy and offer mine in return 🌹Phil and our 6 children and 12 Grandchildren where/still are also my purpose in life.
Though I am finding I am able and capable of making some new purposes, it’s not always the easiest of transitions, but I am a level headed person and I know that the alternative is NOT something of value for anyone. I still want to make Phil, our kids and grandkids know ”I’ve got this“ and they don’t need to add my well-being to there long list of duties 🌹🙏
I had a bit of a rough ride in basic training in the RAF My D.I. Was a ‘trunchball’ she was that ridiculous it actually didn’t even phase my 17 year old self. She did me a favour TBH 😁🤣

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hello. Can anyone advise on return travel from Santiago to the north east of England/ Newcastle/north west/Manchester. EasyJet run seasonal flights which don’t cover November when we will be...
Hello, everyone I am doing the camino de france next spring on a bike. It looks really rocky going down hill from Burguete. Is there a safer rought not going down the rocky path? Should I stay on...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
I will arrive at SJDP 1st of May .. less than a month to go ! Any tips? Should I train walking with my backpack ?
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back