• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sarria to Santiago late May- investing in merino vs. fleece?

electra_cd

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2015
Thank you to everyone who takes the time to answer questions on this forum!
I'm hiking Sarria to Santiago at the end of May into June and could use clothing pointers.

I already own hiking sneakers, polypro and wool socks, silk base layers, athletic tees, and a rain jacket.
I'm in the process of buying a pair of convertible hiking pants on eBay.

My concern is getting cold on a rainy trail- or first getting sweaty and THEN getting cold in the evenings :) (My body gets chilly very easily.) I already own fleece layers, but they're 100% polyester, not themerino wool and other made-for-workout fabrics I've seen discussed in the forums. I even own a down jacket, but the forums have taught me that wet down can lose its warmth.

Plenty of folks have discussed how it's rarely necessary to spend a ton of money on gear, but I'm wondering whether now's the time to invest in a layer that will truly be functional. (A friend of mine swears bythis merino jacket, for instance.)

Would a jacket like that be overkill in late May, even for someone sensitive to the cold? What other warm layers might be options? Thank you to all!

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I carry a down jacket backpacking because it is much lighter. I have to be careful about not getting it wet (either from rain or sweat), but to me the weight trade-off is worth it. With the ability to sleep inside at night (hence more protection from rain), I would definitely carry it on a shoulder season Camino. That being said, my wife carried and loved her North Face "monkey" fleece.

To me, that jacket is overkill. However, if you are a person who gets cold, it might be nice.
I use both wool and fleece, and I layer it and I walk every year from mid-May through June.
There will be hot days and cold days, so a layering technique works best for me.
And if you have a few days of hot weather, don't be silly and dump your layers, because chances are the weather WILL change again.

I don't think you have to buy special gear.
Just wear what you have in your closet.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
That merino wool jacket does look like a bit much for a walk on the Camino in May-June.
I figure a long sleeve shirt (silk, wool, tech synthetic, etc) under a fleece jacket would be enough for that time of year, and if need be you can wear the rain jacket as a third layer to block the wind and trap warmth.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
To me, that jacket is overkill. However, if you are a person who gets cold, it might be nice.
I use both wool and fleece, and I layer it and I walk every year from mid-May through June.
There will be hot days and cold days, so a layering technique works best for me.
And if you have a few days of hot weather, don't be silly and dump your layers, because chances are the weather WILL change again.

I don't think you have to buy special gear.
Just wear what you have in your closet.

This.

Your fleece should be okay. If you feel you need to buy merino make it a base layer, I can wear mine in hot and cool weather and its properties can fit accordingly, keeps you warm in cool breezes and in hot weather can draw sweat away from the body and help cool you down.

Whew- it's a relief to hear plenty of Camino veterans chiming in on this. Thanks @mikevasey - if I happen to spot some bargains on merino I might take the plunge, but it sounds like my trusty down and fleece are going to do the trick.

I usually bring two merino T- shirts, one for walking, one for change. They are excellent both in cold and warm weather, which I did not quite believe until I used one for walking in very hot summerweather in Mallorca some years ago. I also bring merino ( or synthetic) armwarmers for cold mornings or evenings. Then I do not need a longsleeved merino. Easy to put on and off.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Merino baselayers all the way, once you wear anything Merino you will never go back to cotton, synthetic or anything else again, comfy, warm when cold, and cool when hot, wicks away sweat and does not smell because of Lanolin in the wool which is antibacterial, you can wear it for days, sleep in it and it will never stink ! Merino is all I buy now, I would never even buy a cotton t shirt again.

Pure merino baselayers wear through very quickly, some companies do a mix of materials which give a little more toughness but keep the same advantages ie. Rab and their Meco range.

Hello Electra,

Merino is awesome and for me nothing beats it... but as a base layer. I had 2 t-shirts in merino serving as base layers or simply as t-shirts! Depending on weather - it can change a lot even during one day, especially in May. I was in November and got some 24C days and some -5C days... so.... Myselft Merino base layer (t-shirts and/or langsleeves), and had a fleece zipped Patagonia which was awesome as it serve so many purposes... an then the windbreaker/waterproof shell.
Dan

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you to everyone who takes the time to answer questions on this forum!
I'm hiking Sarria to Santiago at the end of May into June and could use clothing pointers.

I already own hiking sneakers, polypro and wool socks, silk base layers, athletic tees, and a rain jacket.
I'm in the process of buying a pair of convertible hiking pants on eBay.

My concern is getting cold on a rainy trail- or first getting sweaty and THEN getting cold in the evenings :) (My body gets chilly very easily.) I already own fleece layers, but they're 100% polyester, not themerino wool and other made-for-workout fabrics I've seen discussed in the forums. I even own a down jacket, but the forums have taught me that wet down can lose its warmth.

Plenty of folks have discussed how it's rarely necessary to spend a ton of money on gear, but I'm wondering whether now's the time to invest in a layer that will truly be functional. (A friend of mine swears bythis merino jacket, for instance.)

Would a jacket like that be overkill in late May, even for someone sensitive to the cold? What other warm layers might be options? Thank you to all!
You know what? I get cold in too much air conditioning. I think people (my husband) who don't get cold just can't understand - but when I am cold I am miserable and tense and I am definitely not enjoying scenery.
In 2012 I walked from April 19 to June 1. I probably had 3 days where I walked in shorts...and even then I was wearing my fleece. And those 3 days were probably after Sarria. I stopped in Astorga and bought a really expensive down parka because I was SO COLD and so sick and tired of being cold I couldn't stand it. But was I still using it by the time I got to Sarria? I don't remember but I don't think so - and that would have been the last week of May. This parka packs down into the size of a smallish football so it is going with me again this year.
When people are talking about Merino wool they are really talking about base layers, I think. You'll have a poncho or a raincoat, right? So you needn't worry about it getting wet.
Personally I am taking a hiking vest and a fleece jacket and the parka and a poncho. And gloves. But I am walking from the Pyrenees in late April or early May.
So - all this thinking out loud brings me to this: it is doubtful that you would need your down jacket by late May/early June. But you will definitely need a raincoat or poncho and a good fleece. And a Buff. I wore that buff every single day.

And a down jacket makes for a perfect pillow if you put it in the stuff bag of your sleeping bag at night! SY

You might also throw a cold weather beanie type cap in your pack. They weigh nothing. You can get them in fleece and even merino wool. A bunch of different companies make them. I've always heard you can lose up to 30% of body heat from your head. If I'm sleeping outdoors in a sleeping bag when it's cold I always wear one. It's amazing how much warmer they make you feel.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Pure merino baselayers wear through very quickly, some companies do a mix of materials which give a little more toughness but keep the same advantages ie. Rab and their Meco range.

Funny you'd say that. This year (last year?) my merino long sleeved shirt tore, so I stopped in at the sporting store in Astorga and picked up a bamboo shirt. It was not as expensive as wool, just as warm , and appears to be a heck of a lot more durable. I love it!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hey folks - thank you for all this continued great advice! Love @SYates suggestion of using the down jacket as a pillow. Mine comes with a nice cylindrical pouch for packing- in other words, perfectly pillow-sized!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.