• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sarria to Santiago - October 2019

spikey

Time of past OR future Camino
Ferrol to Santiago October 2022
Hi All,

Having wanted to walk a stretch of the Camino for many years I have finally taken the plunge and made a booking.
I am flying to Santiago from Dublin in October 2019 and will be walking from Sarria to Santiago.
I’m a reasonably fit 57 year old man and plan to start training this week.
This forum seems a great resource and I’m hoping to get loads of tips including footwear, clothing accommodation etc.

Best wishes
Brian

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Brian

A few of us who walked the Camino Francés last August/September are reuniting in Dublin in early June for a weekend walking with each other again.

If you want to join us for a beer at some point, you’d be welcome.

Then we can give you a personal seminar on how to prepare for a Camino!

Thanks John,

That’s a very kind offer unfortunately I’ll be in Spain at that time not walking though on holidays in Javea.

Brian

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi All,

Having wanted to walk a stretch of the Camino for many years I have finally taken the plunge and made a booking.
I am flying to Santiago from Dublin in October 2019 and will be walking from Sarria to Santiago.
I’m a reasonably fit 57 year old man and plan to start training this week.
This forum seems a great resource and I’m hoping to get loads of tips including footwear, clothing accommodation etc.

Best wishes
Brian

Hi, Brian, and a warm Welcome to the Forum :)

The good news is, you are in a forum with a wonderful group of people. Most are here to help people like you to achieve their pilgrimage goals. We can offer you encouragement, knowledge, and point you in the direction that will help you help yourself.

My suggestion to start is this:
  1. Take a deep breath. Write down in large letters the reasons why you want to go on Camino. Place that piece of paper where you can see it every day. That way, if anxieties and fears threaten to overwhelm you as you plan, you can just breath, read what you have written, and focus on those reasons until the negative stuff fades.
  2. Make a list of questions and concerns that you have.
  3. Go to the Search Engine at the top of the Forum pages.
  4. Enter the words or phrase that you want more information about. You will get a huge amount of information to explore.
  5. If you find that you need help with anything, post a new thread so that your question or concern can be readily seen. If you post a question within someone else's thread, you won't receive as big of a response.
  6. Remember that perfect timing as it relates to how you feel, scheduling, and day to day life issues, seldom align themselves perfectly. If one waits for such to occur, doing something like a pilgrimage will always be in danger of taking a back seat while you wait for that perfect alignment to happen.

Hi, spikey.
I walked this section mid-October a couple of years ago.
Weather was moderately cold, but nights required a good jacket. Some light rains, so be prepared.
Not particularly difficult sections, just a long stage between Palas do Rei and Arzúa (if you choose it).
The path was quite crowded in the mornings, since everybody leaves more or at less the same hours. But in the course of the day, we tended to spread out.
Be watchful of fast cyclists.
You will meet the tour operator groups, with guides explaining things like "this odd thing in the field with four legs is a cow" (well, I exagere...just a bit), :p
Had problems with lodging just one day and solved it quite easily. As I was with my wife, I decided to make reservations in the morning of every day, just to have peace of mind.
Buen camino!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Spikey. Just coming back from my Sarria to Santiago compostela, and it did not disappoint.
I do not know your reasons for your walk, but I did enjoy meeting lots of people and the time to myself. This is just me, I would stay a town or two after the suggested itinerary. You would meet the crowds in the morning and early afternoon. From Sarria, most of them would stop at Portomarin. I went all the way to Gonzar, at least two hours farther and had the trail almost to myself. I loved the serenity of the trails and the wind blowing at the top of the hill after Portomarin.
Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That ended up being one of my favorite sections. Met lots of great people. The terrain was varied, interesting but not difficult. Many places to eat and sleep. We did it early October as well and there were cool mornings but very comfortable days. By that point the sunrise was much later than when we had started so we left off in the dark, so have a headlamp or torch of some sort. You will have a blast. Coincidentally I was also 57 at the time. Buen Camino!

Hi Brian,

My wife and I are doing the camino from Sarria starting the day before you. We expect to take six days to finish it so we might run in to you along the way.

Buen camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Brian,

My wife and I are doing the camino from Sarria starting the day before you. We expect to take six days to finish it so we might run in to you along the way.

Buen camino.
Maybe so 😊.
I think we plan to walk 5 days arriving in Santiago on 8th October.
Buen Camino

Maybe so 😊.
I think we plan to walk 5 days arriving in Santiago on 8th October.
Buen Camino
Hi Brian, Getting close now.

We leave for Spain this Friday. From what you have said we will be a day ahead of you all the way. Have a great trip.

Indeed, good luck to you both and hopefully weather improves as it seems very wet at the moment.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Watching the weather for my April 26-May 1 walk. Too early to see the future, and now my question: Disposable ponchos( maybe 2) or more reliable poncho? Just carrying a very small backpack( bags...
Hi Everyone, This is kind of embarassing! I am leaving in 2 days, for my 3rd Camino and will primarily be walking the Camino Frances in April. My previous Caminos have been in June and June/July...
if needed, can I purchase a rain poncho along my upcoming route from Tui to Santiago de compostela? As I watch the weather forecast for April 25-May 1st it appears TODAY that there will be very...
I will be starting my walk in May 2024. I will have my iphone with t-mobile service, which works fine in most of Europe. My question is for those of you who have been on this route, and had your...
Hi All, Rachel from UK here. I walked part of the Camino in 2019 (6days from Pamplona). Last year I walked Frances until Leon. 2024 is the route to Santiago. Any tips from Leon to Santiago...
I am hiking the Norte and Primitive routes starting May 16, 2024. This will be my first Camino. I have access to the Buen Camino app, Gronze, and a guidebook which are all excellent at providing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.