• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sarria to Santiago

Wobbits

Hi
Leaving from Dublin with a group of 13 (from Derry, N Ireland) in early May to walk from Sarria to Santiago (given ourselves a week). I've walked this route before, last year but with just a friend.
Any advice on taking a group along would be welcomed :)
Cheers

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Wobbits!

I've never done a group Camino, but having read some responses on this forum there can be a bit of resentment if a single group takes up a significant part (or all) of an albergue.

Usually I advise against over-planning, but this may be a case where quite careful planning is required. Are you planning to stay in albergues or hostales, for example? If staying in hostales it could work out better to get the same hostal for, say, 3 nights rather than booking a different one each night. That way people who don't want to carry their baggage don't have to and it saves you messing around with baggage transfer so much. You can just get taxis back/forward to wherever you were on the Camino in the morning/evening.

Buen Camino! :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have taken small and large groups on long distance walks for the last 12 years.

The most important thing is for you all to start off on the same page - with simialr expectations and goals. At your first planning get-together be honest about what drives each of you up the wall! Is it snoring, picking noses, people eating with their mouth open? Little things can become huge problems when you face them day after day after day.

Many people get lonely on the Camino, especially those who start in Sarria. By then 'families' have been formed and strong friendships made. The newcomer might not always be accepted into these tight-knit groups.

Walking with a group of like-minded people can be very rewarding - as long as you don't try to follow the Musketeer rule of 'one for all and all for one!'

There is too much info to put into this post so I am attaching a document with some advice for walking with a group. Hope some of it is helpful and that you have a wonderful walk to Santiago!

Attachments

• Walking solo or with a group .docx
    98.1 KB · Views: 65
Reserve ahead, private albergues recommended because of availability of sleeping beds, prepared dinners and lugage transfer, enable the group to walk slower knowing there is accomodations reserved ahead.
A group walks 30 % slower then an individual, less distance.
Agree on what happens if someone is sick, can't walk. have any medical problems then will get them off the trail, will the person continue by bus? will he return home?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My husband and I are going at the same time and this is our first experience. We booked hotels thru a tour company. The problem is that we have to make sure we can make the distance each day. It is pretty far for this sixtish chubby gal..lol. If you want I could send you the name of the tour company.

Wobbits said:
Hi
Leaving from Dublin with a group of 13 (from Derry, N Ireland) in early May to walk from Sarria to Santiago (given ourselves a week). I've walked this route before, last year but with just a friend.
Any advice on taking a group along would be welcomed :)
Cheers
Hola!
I know this doesn't have anything to do with accommodations or who walks faster or slower, but one thing that I haven't seen addressed is the amount of loud chatter between friends while walking. I realize that some people walk for the fun of it, but many people use this time as a contemplative time. As someone who journeyed from SJPP to Santiago de Compostela this past Fall, I had to stop several times a day to let people pass during the days from Sarria to SdC for groups of friend's who, new on the walk, talked so incessently and loudly that it was impossible to retain even a minimal contemplative state as I walked. It wasn't just the occasional talking... It was loud, boisterous and continual. I asked some others who felt the same as me if we'd been that loud and almost obnoxious when WE started our walk 20-some days prior! I know it is everyone's Camino, but is it too much to ask that we keep the conversation to a gentle exchange versus loud conversations?! Perhaps if the groups are only aware of others on the Camino, they may enjoy the peace it is possible to receive on this sacred, ancient Way.
Thank you for listening...and Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wobbits said:
Leaving from Dublin with a group of 13 (from Derry, N Ireland) in early May to walk from Sarria to Santiago (given ourselves a week).
Does this group depend upon you as a daily overall organizer? Remember that groups of people tend to "dominate" and that this is one of the reasons why not every albergue likes to accommodate them. If you can split the participants into groups of say 4 people, you may find several albergues in the same village/town to accommodate them. The "disruption" can then take place in previously agreed upon meeting place (restaurant, bar, church, etc.). Alternatively you may want to accommodate participants in a hotel or hostal, taking into account that most of them are small (< 15 rooms). Your decision depends upon whether people want to experience a real "Camino feeling" (which is alive in pilgrims' albergues) or find comfort in upscale hotels and not bother about the cost.
Difficult decision :oops:

Great post Sil, although I have to say that getting a group together for a dinner meeting can be a bit like herding cats!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've never had that problem!! :D
Everyone is always so hungry, and always looking for food!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Bozzie said:
I had to stop several times a day to let people pass during the days from Sarria to SdC for groups of friend's who, new on the walk, talked so incessently and loudly that it was impossible to retain even a minimal contemplative state as I walked.
Hi Bozzie. I know what you mean, but as pilgrims we're a community and people have different motivations or just different ways of expressing them.

I walked with a small (informal) group of 5 or 6 people for a couple of days last year. They were younger than me. One of the group was an Italian girl called Saretta. When we met she was sharing a leather wine bag with her group at 10am! 'Hora de vino!' went up the call. Later, when the group were tired and despondent she jumped out in front of us and shouted 'Who eez the most bootifool woom-an on the Camino?' to which we were all expected to respond 'Saretta!' (sometimes more enthusiastically than others, it must be said).

That was what Saretta brought to our group. It was loud and others might say 'tut tut' but she was a star and brought so much animation and encouragement, despite having problems with her dodgy knees.

I lost that group well before the end, but when I arrived in Santiago I was walking down the street and saw a few of them walking in front of me. I ran round and said 'Who is the most handsome man on the Camino?! Saretta recognised me and shouted 'Saretta!' and gave me a huge hug. One of the highlights of the whole shebang. Buen Camino!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
One of the best pieces of advice I have ever gotten was from a man I met on my first Camino. I was telling him about some of my family coming to join me for the last section and he said, "As long as someone depends on you, you are not really free." Take that to heart. Unless you want the task, and the loss of freedom, make it clear to everyone that you are NOT a paid tour guide and will not arrange everything for them.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back