• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

sarria to santiago

grafitz

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to walk the camino in May 2017
hey Im planning my first attempt at a section of the camino, planning on doing the last section sarria to santiago as I know this is the most popular for first timers so I figured that would be the best place to start. but I have a couple of questions
1. is it best to fly into Santiago de Compostala airport?
and
2. I want to fly on a Saturday and travel to Sarria that evening but alot of buses dont seem to run on a Saturday does any one know of anywhere to look for a bus schedule so I can paln our trip?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
...planning on doing the last section sarria to santiago as I know this is the most popular for first timers so I figured that would be the best place to start.
It is only the most popular because it's the minimal distance away to get a Compostela.

If you do not care about a Compostela, may I suggest you walk any other stretch than that one? It is over populated, people even queuing for a sandwhich in bars! For many now sadly become a stretch to avoid. It will not give you a good sense of that the Camino is.

If a Compostela is important, and all you can spare is the time to walk 100km, take a look at the Camino Ingles.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
hey Im planning my first attempt at a section of the camino, planning on doing the last section sarria to santiago as I know this is the most popular for first timers so I figured that would be the best place to start. but I have a couple of questions
and
2. I want to fly on a Saturday and travel to Sarria that evening but alot of buses dont seem to run on a Saturday does any one know of anywhere to look for a bus schedule so I can paln our trip?

All depends in what time period you want to walk. Lots of Spaniards use the different official holidays in May for example to walk a stretch of a week.
It is all very doable but yes take into consideration lots of people from Semana Santa onwards till way into the month of October.
To avoid the masses of people I suggest you stop in between the stages. So not Portomarin, Sarria, Palas de Rei,Arzua but the smaller hamlets in between. Lots of choices of albergues and hostales.

Good luck!

I have one week off work, Ive never done this kind of trip so I didnt want to go anywhere too remote, I thought as that stretch was the most popular it might be easier to organise the trip

Hi, you could start at a place that’s easier to get to, e.g. Pamplona, Burgos, Fromista, Leon or Astorga, and walk for a week. Then if you want to go back another time, just return to where you stopped before, and continue for another week.
Jill

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have one week off work, Ive never done this kind of trip so I didnt want to go anywhere too remote, I thought as that stretch was the most popular it might be easier to organise the trip
There is nothing remote about any section of the Frances. It is a simple walk from village to village, with a whole lot of other people. If "remoteness" is a concern and a factor on the section you want to walk, please know this should not be a concern on the Frances.

As for organisation, also super easy, infact easier since you will find easy transport to a starting point like Pamplona (direct bus from the airport), or Burgos, etc. Albergues have sprouted everywhere and guidebooks and websites have all sorts of information about them.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
and

yep, santiago is your best option, then its buses to sarria or one very expensive taxi (i believe bus options have already been addressed above)

in any case, bravo! you will love these last stages, and one, in my opinion, that must be walked at least once.

Buen Camino

Don't be deterred, Sarria to Santiago is great. Lots of infrastructure, lots of friendly pilgrims, lots of opportunity to make friends, lots of opportunity to experience the Spanish lifestyle. Add to that spectacular scenery through farms and villages, and enough challenge to give you a good idea of the Camino. I do not see lots of pilgrims as a problem, or a downside, so that is not a factor, IMO.

Beware, Spain weather seems to start in Galicia so you must be prepared for rain and cold in Spring and Fall.
I love that section, and have good memories and good stories and good friends from Sarria to Santiago.
When we started in Sarria, we took a train from Leon/Palencia. Nice ride through the mountains, great riverview for much of the way.
Buen Viaje, grafitz.

I loved the section from Sarria to Santiago. I was concerned that it was going to be too busy, but it was wonderful. The countryside is beautiful - so green, lots of woods, tons of little villages and small farms. There were only a handful of times that I wished there were fewer people. We would occasionally catch up to a big group, but if we decided we didn't want to walk with them and didn't outpace them naturally, we'd just stop for a coffee or something and then continue on after a little bit. I was pleasantly surprised at how often we were walking through the woods alone. We did make a point to stop away from the standard overnight stops, not always, but for the most part, so we seemed to be out-of-phase with the groups. For example, we didn't stay the night in Sarria, but went through mid-morning instead, stopped for a coffee and a bit of a look around, and then continued on. That meant we were a few hours behind most people who started in Sarria that day. The character of the Camino does change somewhat at Sarria because you have more school groups, families, and supported pilgrims, but it was all good. The transition did take a little getting used to - who are all these fresh-faced, clean people anyway? LOL. But their exuberance was refreshing. I remember one school group - they must have been a group of 10 kids - maybe 13 year olds. We saw them throughout the day - sometimes walking near them, sometimes passing them up or they passed us up during a break. They were kind of loud and I was kind of annoyed, but we were polite to them - buen camino and a smile when we passed them or they passed us. Then 2 days later we walked into a town and there they were, all lounging around an open area outside a shop. They saw us, shouted "buen camino!" and a couple of the girls ran over and gave me a hug. Any annoyance that I felt melted in that instance. My perspective changed for the better :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back