• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sarria

JoHill

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2019 Camino Frances
August 2020 Camino Frances
September 2021 Portugues
I’m on my walk and started May 8, I’m in Burgos now. If my 15 year old granddaughter wanted to join me from the USA and walk from Sarria (or any where on Camino Frances) what would be a good flight over and what would be the best way to retrieve her from an airport. I would have to leave my walk and get her. Bad idea this late in the game?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Is she an experienced traveler, able to navigate connecting flights and immigration on her own? If so, she could fly to Santiago (via connections somewhere in Europe) and you would meet her there. But make sure the journey is booked all on one ticket so it is guaranteed by one airline, in case of missed flights. Or, she could fly from the US to Madrid and you would go there.

The last-minute airfare for this trip would be high - it might almost be the cost of another trip. It would basically involve abandoning your own plans, which I'm sure you would happily do if it were either necessary or truly beneficial for your granddaughter. However, it might turn out to be hectic and not fully satisfactory. I don't know you, your granddaughter or any of the personal dynamics that are involved.

I understand your enthusiasm, but it might make more sense to plan another dedicated trip in a few months, if you can make time for another 2 week trip. That way you would get two caminos for you, and a trip planned just right for her.

Just my immediate thoughts.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Agree with C clearly on travel experience, with that caveat, there are flights into León from MAD as well.

What a great experience for both of you my grandaughter has promised me she will go with me sometime she is 3 so may have to wait abit.
CARPE DIEM

I’m on my walk and started May 8, I’m in Burgos now. If my 15 year old granddaughter wanted to join me from the USA and walk from Sarria (or any where on Camino Frances) what would be a good flight over and what would be the best way to retrieve her from an airport. I would have to leave my walk and get her. Bad idea this late in the game?

Hi, JoHill. . .

To get started, a site like Rome2Rio can be helpful in looking at the various options for getting from where your granddaughter lives to where you need to meet her. From there you can schedule the trip based on the best prices for your needs.

Is she an experienced traveler, able to navigate connecting flights and immigration on her own? If so, she could fly to Santiago (via connections somewhere in Europe) and you would meet her there. But make sure the journey is booked all on one ticket so it is guaranteed by one airline, in case of missed flights. Or, she could fly from the US to Madrid and you would go there.

The last-minute airfare for this trip would be high - it might almost be the cost of another trip. It would basically involve abandoning your own plans, which I'm sure you would happily do if it were either necessary or truly beneficial for your granddaughter. However, it might turn out to be hectic and not fully satisfactory. I don't know you, your granddaughter or any of the personal dynamics that are involved.

I understand your enthusiasm, but it might make more sense to plan another dedicated trip in a few months, if you can make time for another 2 week trip. That way you would get two caminos for you, and a trip planned just right for her.

Just my immediate thoughts.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you Marylynn. Lots to think about.

Hi, JoHill. . .

To get started, a site like Rome2Rio can be helpful in looking at the various options for getting from where your granddaughter lives to where you need to meet her. From there you can schedule the trip based on the best prices for your needs.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Uh....I suppose that you have already considered the legal issues of a minor travelling alone. A parental permit will be required, obviously -one acceptable in Spain, I would ask the nearer Spanish consulate.
Some airlines have restrictions for these cases, too; ask before buying the ticket. On the other side, some of them offer a companion service (optional for teens).
Remember that most probably hotels will not accept unaccompanied minors, so for practical effects, you will need to pick her up at the airport.
Very sorry if I am saying something too obvious, but just in case...

If you have time, you could take the train from sarria to Madrid, meet your granddaughter at the Madrid airport and then the two of you could catch the train back to sarria and continue your Camino. Perhaps spend an extra night in Madrid or sarria to allow your granddaughter to recover from jet lag. Direct flight from US city to madrid would of course be best . You would have to check with the airline, you would probably have to pay the unaccompanied minor fee and the parents would have to do the paperwork to allow you to pick up your granddaughter at the Madrid airport. When my husband or I travelled internationally with our then minor daughter without both of us being on the trip the traveling parent always carried a notarized letter (signed by the parent not on the trip) authorizing the one parent to travel with the child without the other parent. There are sample letters on the internet. We also carried a letter allowing the one parent to approve any medical treatment (again notarized and signed by the parent not on the trip).
Sounds like overkill but I was asked for the letter at immigration once and I was glad I had it .
It has been a while since we did this so you should google to see if there are any restrictions / recommendations for the situation.
As a side note, my daughter is now 19 and she and I are hiking a portion of the Camino together later this month . Buen Camino

If s
If she feels comfortable it’s easy to fly into Madrid (need to get there by about 1030am), ride 3 trains stops to Chamartin Station, train leaves for Sarria (full of pilgrims who will watch over her) around 1pm, gets to Sarria about 7pm. Train is a Renfe train, costs about 60 euro. If she stops at Renfe office in airport near train platform and shows her ticket, she gets a free ticket to Chamartin Station.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back