• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • Hi Please note that the posts below are created automatically when a new Resource is created in the Camino Resource section. Users can only make replies to the topics below, not create new threads.

Buen Camino!
    Ivar

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Resource icon

Sauntering to Santiago (free PDF) 2013-10-21

No permission to download

DSouthard

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Catalan, (May-July 2012), Via Francigena (Barcelona to Rome - 2015), Via Francigena (Rome to Canterbury - 2016)
DSouthard submitted a new resource:

Sauntering to Santiago (free PDF) - One Pilgrim's Journey on the Camino de Santiago

For members of this site, I have posted a free PDF version of my memoir, Sauntering to Santiago. The images have been reduced in quality in order to upload to this site. It's also available for your Kindle, Nook, Sony, and other formats from Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Sony, Smashwords.com, and other e-book distributors. (With higher quality images)

This is not a travelogue - you won't find route guides or much information on where to stay or what to take with you. Rather, it's a record...

Read more about this resource...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you very much. Your gift arrived 2 years after completing my first Camino 10-21-11

Thanks. I have downloaded it as well, and look forward to reading it. Margaret

DeMar Southard,
I downloaded your book and began reading it shortly after; it was great, thank you for being so frank.
I was totally intrigued and hooked when you began your pilgrimage in Montserrat. We went on a pilgrimage with our church last year to Fatima and Lourdes and were fortunate to visit many holy sites in between. We stayed in Montserrat two nights; we got there in time to hear vespers the first night and oh that was beautiful beyond words...when the boys choir sang, I knew that that must be how it sounds when angels sing.

After reading your book (finished it on Friday), I appreciate the new understanding I have on just how hard it's going to be for us walking day after day, after day after day. We are trying to prepare as much as we can for next Spring but realize that it will only be by God's grace should we be able to walk to the end.

I love mystics' writings and many of your thoughts were conveyed in such form. I hope that after my camino, I will be chopping wood and carrying water.

Thank you so much for sharing your book,
Blessings, A Diaz

[I would like to read your mom's book; where / how can I get it?]

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
DeMar Southard,
I downloaded your book and began reading it shortly after; it was great, thank you for being so frank.
I was totally intrigued and hooked when you began your pilgrimage in Montserrat. We went on a pilgrimage with our church last year to Fatima and Lourdes and were fortunate to visit many holy sites in between. We stayed in Montserrat two nights; we got there in time to hear vespers the first night and oh that was beautiful beyond words...when the boys choir sang, I knew that that must be how it sounds when angels sing.

After reading your book (finished it on Friday), I appreciate the new understanding I have on just how hard it's going to be for us walking day after day, after day after day. We are trying to prepare as much as we can for next Spring but realize that it will only be by God's grace should we be able to walk to the end.

I love mystics' writings and many of your thoughts were conveyed in such form. I hope that after my camino, I will be chopping wood and carrying water.

Thank you so much for sharing your book,
Blessings, A Diaz

[I would like to read your mom's book; where / how can I get it?]
Thank you so much for your kind words. I wish I could have described in some small way how moved I was by the boys choir at Montserrat. Since you've heard them, you know that that's impossible.
I'm glad you enjoyed the book. When you make your own pilgrimage it will be difficult - maybe not in the same way it was for me, but as far as I know no one sails through the Camino without a struggle. But God's grace is more than abundant all along the way and you'll get to Santiago.

About the other book, if you go to Barnes and Noble or Amazon and look up my name, you'll find Letters From Paris. If you don't have a Kindle, Nook, or other e-reader let me know and I'll send you a copy.

Buen camino, mi amiga y vaya con Dios.

I have a mini ipad so I'll try to download it there, thank you so much for the info and maybe someday we'll meet on a future camino!
Blessings amigo!

I finished your book and enjoyed it very much. It was thoughtful and engaging, but I thought you were "Yearning for Santiago" more than "Sauntering to Santiago." I hope your plans for another camino are going well. Thanks for the good read.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just stumbled across your book here while browsing. Started reading and will definitely continue. Montserrat grabbed my attention straight away, and how you express the ecstasy of the journey. :D Well done! I am very much drawn to the Cami de Sant Jaume and am considering doing it in the future - but was concerned that it is much more expensive and with fewer alberques cp with Camino Frances. Was this your experience?

BTW how do you go about publishing your eBook on various outlets... in particular, I thought if you go with Amazon they want exclusive rights?

Cheers
Gerry

Thank you for sharing your free book. Just downloaded it and look forward to a great adventure

I finished your book and enjoyed it very much. It was thoughtful and engaging, but I thought you were "Yearning for Santiago" more than "Sauntering to Santiago." I hope your plans for another camino are going well. Thanks for the good read.
Thank you for your comments. Planning for the next pilgrimage, Barcelona to Rome, is going well, in fact, I've moved up the departure date to this coming spring. It's going to be long winter - I can hardly wait to get started!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just stumbled across your book here while browsing. Started reading and will definitely continue. Montserrat grabbed my attention straight away, and how you express the ecstasy of the journey. :D Well done! I am very much drawn to the Cami de Sant Jaume and am considering doing it in the future - but was concerned that it is much more expensive and with fewer alberques cp with Camino Frances. Was this your experience?

BTW how do you go about publishing your eBook on various outlets... in particular, I thought if you go with Amazon they want exclusive rights?

Cheers
Gerry
You're right - the Cami St Jaume is more expensive because of the lack of albergues. However, I'm still glad I walked that route; I enjoyed the solitude, the challenges, and of course, Montserrat.

I published my e-book on Smashwords.com, which distributes to all the major outlets except for Amazon. Publishing on Amazon, then, was a separate exercise. Publishing on Amazon is pretty easy, though. The one big difference that affected me was how they handle the table of contents. At Smashwords they don't accept MS Word's automatic creation of a table of contents from the "heading" style. You have to bookmark sections of the document, and then manually create links to those bookmarks in your TOC. Smashwords also only accepts older Word versions; if you use the newest version you'll have to "save as" in the 2007-10 version. As long as you take a little time to read and follow their methods, you won't have a problem.

Amazon only requires exclusivity if you request it to get a better commission rate for 90 days. If you forego that, you can publish anywhere.

Thank you for reading my memoir and for the kind comments. I hope you have a wonderful experience on your camino.

DeMar

You're right - the Cami St Jaume is more expensive because of the lack of albergues. However, I'm still glad I walked that route; I enjoyed the solitude, the challenges, and of course, Montserrat.

I published my e-book on Smashwords.com, which distributes to all the major outlets except for Amazon. Publishing on Amazon, then, was a separate exercise. Publishing on Amazon is pretty easy, though. The one big difference that affected me was how they handle the table of contents. At Smashwords they don't accept MS Word's automatic creation of a table of contents from the "heading" style. You have to bookmark sections of the document, and then manually create links to those bookmarks in your TOC. Smashwords also only accepts older Word versions; if you use the newest version you'll have to "save as" in the 2007-10 version. As long as you take a little time to read and follow their methods, you won't have a problem.

Amazon only requires exclusivity if you request it to get a better commission rate for 90 days. If you forego that, you can publish anywhere.

Thank you for reading my memoir and for the kind comments. I hope you have a wonderful experience on your camino.

DeMar

Thanks for the info.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you very much for sharing such a profoundly personal work. May your upcoming Camino truly bring about another enlightened "I".

Thank you very much for sharing such a profoundly personal work. May your upcoming Camino truly bring about another enlightened "I".
Thank you for your kind comments. I hope you enjoyed the book. I'm again literally counting the days until I leave on the pilgrimage to Rome, starting in May. I'll be writing about it, but unfortunately I won't be able to post anything on this site, as this is purely for the Santiago pilgrimage. I'll check with Ivar and see if he'll let me post a link to my blog and the next book. Again, thank you for reading and your kind comment.

Thank you for your generosity, I just did the download. I am looking forward to reading about your "slow camino", I might find some similarities to mine. I would love to read about your pilgrimage to Rome and maybe there is a way for Ivar to create a section. Seems to me, there a many pilgrims who have walked to Santiago are now looking into walking to Rome or Jerusalem. The call of a pilgrimage can be very strong.
I am sure your pilgrimage to Rome will be what it needs to be, and as always, a walk within. Buon Cammino Pellegrino Light and Love Ingrid

€46,-
Thank you for your generosity, I just did the download. I am looking forward to reading about your "slow camino", I might find some similarities to mine. I would love to read about your pilgrimage to Rome and maybe there is a way for Ivar to create a section. Seems to me, there a many pilgrims who have walked to Santiago are now looking into walking to Rome or Jerusalem. The call of a pilgrimage can be very strong.
I am sure your pilgrimage to Rome will be what it needs to be, and as always, a walk within. Buon Cammino Pellegrino Light and Love Ingrid
Thank you. Maybe with enough interest, Ivar will expand this site to include other pilgrimages. I wonder how many people, once they have been bitten by the pilgrim bug, might be looking for the next adventure. I think the Via Francigena is a good candidate for anyone who enjoyed the Camino de Santiago experience.

Thanks. I have downloaded it as well, and look forward to reading it. Margaret
Thank you for your kind comment. I'm enjoying your blog.

DSouthard submitted a new resource:

Sauntering to Santiago (free PDF) - One Pilgrim's Journey on the Camino de Santiago

Read more about this resource...
Thanks for the download! Actually, I 'officially' joined the forum (after eavesdropping into it for months) so that I could have access to your download. And guess what I chose as a forum name?!..."Sainte-Terrer"!! Because I, too, came across the writing of Thoreau! I am completely drawn to this trail and WILL do it in the next year or two! Thanks again for sharing!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.