• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Save the Las Herrerias horses.

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line

I want to preface this with the fact that I have NO IDEA if this is legitimate or not, though personally I feel it is.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thx Annie. I know this is but one of many worthy causes, but I was happy to chip in for him. It does show that social networking does sometimes sway me to the kinder side ;)

@Tincatinker you are right, I had contemplated that it was difficult to test the authenticity of the appeal, but succumbed nonetheless.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, yep this is legit.

I was one of those people hauled up the mountain on one of those horses (but hey, I've climbed up to O Cebreiro. It was a nice experience).

I have made a contribution. Victor is a nice guy and his horses are well looked after.

I want to preface this with the fact that I have NO IDEA if this is legitimate or not, though personally I feel it is.
I have a cousin who has lived almost all of his life in Villafranca del Bierzo, he knows Víctor personally and can confirm that it is legitimate. Víctor also rents bicycles from Las Herrerias - One Day Bike.
My cousin's family own the bicycle and general mechanical repair shop Motos Urbano, on the small street just before you enter the Plaza Mayor in Villafranca del Bierzo. (See photos attached)20200331_154202.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Do you have a link to his facebook page? I can't seem to find it.
Hi Annie,
I can see a link attached to my post: didn’t it come through? Just go to Facebook and search for Al Paso.
Deb

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I’m glad it’s legit, I also made a small contribution as I planned on taking the horses up in May only because it sounded different and a way to support the locals. I hope to make it there in the fall or next year if things are back to “normal”.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I rode his horse "Boni" (Bonita, beautiful) in 2015. A Spanish father and son rode ahead of me, and VIctor walked with us the whole way. Sometimes I could see by his shadow that he was holding Boni's tail. He goes on foot up to O'Cebreiro and back with his horses sometimes twice a day.

Attachments

• 2015-09-23 10.28.27.jpg
    2015-09-23 10.28.27.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 22
So, a question:

This is a Camino business. People are donating money to support it. Can other Camino businesses come on this forum asking for donations?

I ask because there's a lot of them out there and they're all losing money and if one of them is allowed to do it why not all of them?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So, a question:

This is a Camino business. People are donating money to support it. Can other Camino businesses come on this forum asking for donations?

I ask because there's a lot of them out there and they're all losing money and if one of them is allowed to do it why not all of them?

Victor didn't come on this forum asking for donations.
He has a Go Fund Me page that I saw on my Facebook page and copied here.

Anyone have an update on Victor and his horses. I wasn't able to locate his FB page, but as I am planning my October 2021 trek I do want to have the experience of meeting him and riding one of his horses up the hill to O Cebreiro. I also sent a donation and hope to meet him. Thanks

Anyone have an update on Victor and his horses. I wasn't able to locate his FB page, but as I am planning my October 2021 trek I do want to have the experience of meeting him and riding one of his horses up the hill to O Cebreiro. I also sent a donation and hope to meet him. Thanks

https :// www.facebook.com/Al-Paso-130539220478376

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes I met two of them in Las Herrerias yesterday, they look good, and said they are appreciating all help they received from members of this forum. A friend of the owner said there are currently 6 of them and the demand for their service is growing day by day!
Photo from yesterday:

20210722_103801.jpg

This is one of the only firm plans I have for my September Camino. I really would love to ride one of these horses up to O'Cebreiro,and I'm happy to read that they are well taken care of.

As I child, I really wanted horse riding lessons. I never got them, due to an unfortunate case of 'not-enough-money-itis'. Horse-riding lessons were expensive, and my parents just didn't have the money.

It has always been a dream of mine to ride a horse, and hopefully I'll get to do it in September.

Do they need to be booked far in advance, or would a day or 2 before be sufficient?

€46,-
This is one of the only firm plans I have for my September Camino. I really would love to ride one of these horses up to O'Cebreiro,and I'm happy to read that they are well taken care of.

As I child, I really wanted horse riding lessons. I never got them, due to an unfortunate case of 'not-enough-money-itis'. Horse-riding lessons were expensive, and my parents just didn't have the money.

It has always been a dream of mine to ride a horse, and hopefully I'll get to do it in September.

Do they need to be booked far in advance, or would a day or 2 before be sufficient?
We booked about 2 nights ahead, I think the guy who joined us for the horse ride booked the night before. I think he stayed in Las Herrerias the night before and saw the sign.
I'd walked before and knew they were there, and found the details on this site. We stayed about 8 kms away - he doesn't leave until about 9am, so you can do that.
We took our grandson and thought he would like the horse experience.

We booked about 2 nights ahead, I think the guy who joined us for the horse ride booked the night before. I think he stayed in Las Herrerias the night before and saw the sign.
I'd walked before and knew they were there, and found the details on this site. We stayed about 8 kms away - he doesn't leave until about 9am, so you can do that.
We took our grandson and thought he would like the horse experience.

Great info, thanks. I will book when I'm within a day or 2 of Las Herrerias. Yet another thing to look forward to.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.