• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Save the Via de la Plata - No Refinery!

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
http://www.extremaduraaldia.com/salud-y ... 88391.html

In order to protect the natural heritage, the "National Congress Centers Tourist Initiative: Camino de Santiago, Via de la Plata and other historic roads was held in Zafra, 16 and 17 Oct:
The Via de la Plata is the most beautiful and visited "avenue" in the Spanish West, whose preservation and planning, potential sources of wealth and employment, is vital to our sustainable development.
But this image and integrity has to be protected, avoiding threats from companies represented here. It would be illegal if municipal officials pushed our smoke, pollution, bad odors, visual, etc.., in the main tourist and shopping street of our city. Something similar would lead the attitude of the Junta de Extremadura to push a draft oil refinery alongside the route of the Via de la Plata Camino de Santiago (crosses for 2 km. the inside of the petrochemical project), one of the cultural and natural itineraries busiest in the world.

Attachments

• Refineria.jpg
    Refineria.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 943
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, Sil,
This is the same dispute that Javier alerted us to last spring, when a march and protest were organized by different Camino groups. camino-mozarabe-and-via-de-la-plata/topic5324.html

When I walked through in April, I saw that the dispute was still very much an issue (I am going to try to post a picture, but will post my message first, because I just lost my message trying to post. I am SUCH a technological idiot) :oops:

Anyway, we stayed at the Casa Perin (a very nice private hostal right on the Vdlp in Villafranca), and we had a long discussion with the owner and her husband about the refinery. They are both strong opponents and display big banners in their home, which is right across the street from the hostal. One of the things that seemed most tragic to me was the way the proponents of the refinery have been able to divide and conquer by pitting villagers against villagers -- those who want jobs vs. those who want to save the Vdlp. Very sad.

Laurie

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
For some people and corporations, destruction of the natural environment and loss of habitats and species is not too high a price to pay for "progress"; the ultimate justification being job creation and other economic enhancements.

Very depressing. I hope those who are mounting the protests are effective and successful.

lynne

Sil,
Your knowledge of "all things Camino" and connection to all the Camino information on the web never ceases to amaze me.

David, Victoria, Canada.

The camino is a world heritage and as such belongs to all of us.
Perhaps it is time for us pilgrims from around the world - and the Confraternities we belong to - to get involved in preserving the camino trails.
Local organisations are doing their bit on behalf of all pilgrims, past, present and future, but we could add our voices to theirs by showing solidarity with them, signing petitions, sending emails objecting to the destruction of camino trails.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Sil, I think this is worthy of consideration.

I'm not savvy about online petitions, but there are several online resources. Perhaps Ivar could lend his expertise re setting up something like this, how to block spammers, and other issue I know nothing about.

What do others think?
Do you think online petitions are effective?
Is this a worthwhile effort for the community of pilgrims?
Here's one of several resources:

http://www.petitionspot.com/blog/40/How ... Effective/

lynne

We could use help from Javier Martin who is involved with the camino protection groups.

Javier, ¿cómo podemos ayudar?

sillydoll said:
We could use help from Javier Martin who is involved with the camino protection groups.

Javier, ¿cómo podemos ayudar?

it's not easy ... the march was done in spring with 1500 people but, it's difficult to fight against.

I have to say, I'm not discussing if refinery yes or not, but if refinery on the Camino yes or not.

The problem is that land belongs to someone, you know what I'm talking about.

If I know something about how to protest or similar don't worry, I will tell it here.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
After 16 days of walking (plus another three days to explore Salamanca and Zamora) I've finished my walk on the Vía de la Plata and am now continuing on the Camino Sanabres. If anyone's...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back