• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Saving a bed at an albergue

Time of past OR future Camino
CDN, Primitivo, Sanabrés, Portugués, Ruta do Mar,
I realize there is etiquette, consideration for others and politeness to practice along the Camino, (anywhere, for that matter), but I have a concern. With no intention of being rude or inconsiderate, would you be able to tell me if is it at all appropriate for a faster walker to arrive at an albergue and save a bed for a friend(s) who have fallen behind? One of our friends will be slower due to knee problems, but she doesn't mind if we move ahead. What do you think? Thanks for any information you can give me on this subject!

Mary

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It's not usually possible at a municipal/church kind of albergue- they will check in the people in front of the desk in the order they arrive. If they are not busy you might try explaining the circumstances, but often you would need to speak Spanish to do so. However, in private albergues you can reserve ahead anyway, so you could ask for an extra bed when you arrive.
Margaret

I was the slower member of a group that walked together up until Burgos, and as already stated, the leaders were not allowed to 'reserve' a place for me.

What we did do was agree what our target was each day, and if there was more than one albergue, that the lead group would find a place starting from the closest, ie first, they arrived at. When I arrived, I was able to check if my friends were already there, and if there was a space, stay there. Otherwise I would move onto the next albergue if there was no space or they were not there.

This was not without its comic moments as there were one or two times when this went pear-shaped, and we ended up sleeping in different places even though we thought we had agreed on where we were going.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Margaret and Doug, thank you for your guidance and suggestions. There is comfort in knowing what to expect, and what can and cannot be done at the albergues. I would not want to offend or be rude to anyone.
Spanish is actually my first language, so I'm OK there. We are hoping to stay in pilgrim albergues most of the time with some planned private lodging along the way, or of course, when the albergues have no room.
Doug, I can see the same think that happened to you, happening to my friends -who speak no Spanish, as long as the 2 of them are together, I wouldn't be very concerned for them :D
Again, many thanks for your help!

Ultreia!

Mary

We had no problem when my husband went ahead of me and my son or they went ahead of me last year (I was slow that year!) at Granon, Tosantos, and again in a few private albergues, and I saw others get a bed at San Juan de Ortega for someone who had to double back for his credencial. I'm sure the municipals are not as accommodating, although in smaller towns, maybe.

The previous year, I would often leave them with their feet in the river or collapsed on the grass somewhere at the edge of town while I wandered around finding beds. (I always had all our pilgrim passports.) Maybe having a kid along made people more amenable?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We had no problem when my husband went ahead of me and my son or they went ahead of me last year (I was slow that year!) at Granon, Tosantos, and again in a few private albergues, and I saw others get a bed at San Juan de Ortega for someone who had to double back for his credencial. I'm sure the municipals are not as accommodating, although in smaller towns, maybe.

The previous year, I would often leave them with their feet in the river or collapsed on the grass somewhere at the edge of town while I wandered around finding beds. (I always had all our pilgrim passports.) Maybe having a kid along made people more amenable?

Thank you for your information. I appreciate it. This was wonderful for you and your family. I certainly will politely ask, - no child along, though!, and who knows? maybe there won't be as many pilgrims and the hostaleros won't mind. I guess if I don't ask, then for sure I won't find out if securing a bed for my friends is possible, right?

Ultreia!

Mary

manoll said:
With no intention of being rude or inconsiderate, would you be able to tell me if is it at all appropriate for a faster walker to arrive at an albergue and save a bed for a friend(s) who have fallen behind?
As ex-hospitalero and ex-hospitality executive I can only give my personal opinion. There usually is an assesment of the seriousnes of your request and the probable afluence of pilgrims on that day. I've never refused to reserve a bed for an 85-year old grandmother, when asked for by a speedy grandchild. "Slow" friends who sent their scout ahead for a bed, usually were disappointed. It's amazing how we have become psychologists. :D Of course, there is always an exception to the rule! :roll:
Ultreya!

It's amazing how we have become psychologists. Of course, there is always an exception to the rule!
Fraluchi, thanks for your comment! There will be no young child nor an elderly grandmother along with us to justify asking to reserve a bed; so in rethinking the possibility of separating along our daily hike, a better idea might be to reunite before arriving to the albergue. That way we won't have to pose the question of securing additional beds for friends. :D

Ultreia!

Mary

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
manoll said:
.. a better idea might be to reunite before arriving to the albergue. That way we won't have to pose the question of securing additional beds for friends. :D
Words of wisdom!
Ultreya to the group! 8)

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back