• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Saving my Camino gear....

CarlaH

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP to Santiago 2014
SJPdP to Santiago 2015
Via Francigena (Italy: Aosta - Rome)2016
Camino Portuguese from Porto 2016
I walked my first Camino last year May... and am thrilled to be going back again this year May... planning, buying, weighing, packing, unpacking, weighing my backpack and all contents took months of over analytical planning last year... I am so happy I don't need to repeat this process this time around...

I live high up on the mountain in Noordhoek Cape Town... a fire had been raging on another mountain 6miles away.. fanned by 80km (50 mile) per hour winds the fire crept over to 'my' mountain - I was evacuated from my home at 2am on Monday 2 March... living in a largish house (650sqm or 7000 s ft) I grabbed my dogs, passports and photo albums of my daughter when she was little (this is pre digital age) and abandoned my home ... then realised with horror that all my Camino gear was still in my house... I argued with the fire fighters to get back into my house - I told them there was very precious stuff that needed saving... I walked out 4min later with my Backpack, all my special camino clothing, my camino walking shoes and poles... other than this, my passports and my dogs... the rest could burn...

I had to share this little story on this forum as my friends and family at home cannot believe I came back for a 'simple backpack and stuff'.... I thought 'my' Camino family may understand...

ps... the fires in Cape Town burned for 6 days....a number of houses burned down, firemen died... my house survived...as did my Camino Gear... rock on May :)

Re the video clip - it's written and composed by Verity Price - with the following message: The images of the devastating fires raging across the Southern Peninsula and the heroic efforts to control them are almost too much to fathom. I wrote Devastation about the Tsunami back in 2004, but it feels incredibly relevant as Cape Town pulls together to fight this disaster as one

Attachments

• DSC09066.JPG
    DSC09066.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC09067.JPG
    DSC09067.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Words fail me. Your experience is beyond my comprehension. Rather like a Camino in itself where you had an opportunity to decide what is important and what isn't. Perhaps I should say "forced to decide" rather than "opportunity", but as I did say, words fail me.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm so happy thing worked out well for you. I feel bad for the others who didn't fare so well.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We keep a 'grab bag' in some places. Yes, if possible we too would grab our Camino gear, including putting our feet into our boots if in a simiar situation. Glad you are safe and your home was OK. Very sad about those who have lost their homes or lives

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.