• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Say you had from Christmas to April free. What would you do?

jeffnd

Time of past OR future Camino
March/April 2014
So yesterday I sent a PM to falcon to have me removed from the Camino calender. I had planned to leave St Jean on May 27th, but a recent bout of unemployment drained all my savings and I've had to call it off. It was looking like the Camino would forever remain a dream for me, but not more than an hour later I got a job offer. It's manual labor, 10 to 12 hour days, 6 or sometimes 7 days a week. The pay is excellent though, even better when you figure in the overtime. Here's the kicker, the job comes with a built-in layoff period of about three months. Because of that, I would be eligible for unemployment benefits during that time.

This solves three of the biggest issues I had with Camino. Money, time, and a job. Before, I was worried about my old job giving me enough time off to complete the Camino. Had I not been able to get the time off, I would have just quit that job. I also would have to watch every penny I spent. But with this job, it will be waiting for me when I get back. Money wouldn't be an issue anymore, nor would getting enough time off.

The only downside is that the time-off starts sometime in mid-December and goes until the beginning of April. This would mean a winter Camino. I had really wanted to go in the summer, but as I've learned, we don't always get what we want. However... three months free. And money! Granted, not enough to stay in a 4 star hotel every night, but I won't stress if I can afford that second beer.

So I spent all night wondering if maybe I shouldn't start farther back? Maybe in Paris or something? I don't know, what would you do?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
YAY for you!
Given that you'll be doing manual labour between now and then I'm guessing you'll be fit and easily able to cover 25km a day. Saint Jean to Santiago you could do in the first month, take another week to toddle out to Finisterre and Muxia if you like - or I'd be more inclined to then head south towards Seville, Cadiz and on to Morocco. That's what I'd do - but what would YOU like to do?

jeffnd said:
....the time-off starts sometime in mid-December and goes until the beginning of April. This would mean a winter Camino. I had really wanted to go in the summer, but as I've learned, we don't always get what we want. However... three months free. And money! Granted, not enough to stay in a 4 star hotel every night, but I won't stress if I can afford that second beer. I don't know, what would you do?
Quite simple (depending upon where you live): travel to Costa Rica and enjoy the best climate at that time of the year. The Camino de Santiago will still be there for a later occasion.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Jeff: There are some pilgrims who only do winter Caminos. I feel sure that those pilgrims will respond. In the meantime, it is your Camino. You should do it on your own time. Winter on the Camino cannot be nearly as bad as winter in ND! Smile. :D

Kiwi-family said:
YAY for you!
Given that you'll be doing manual labour between now and then I'm guessing you'll be fit and easily able to cover 25km a day. Saint Jean to Santiago you could do in the first month, take another week to toddle out to Finisterre and Muxia if you like - or I'd be more inclined to then head south towards Seville, Cadiz and on to Morocco. That's what I'd do - but what would YOU like to do?

What would I like to do? I'd like to buy an ice fishing house, park it on some secluded spot on the lake, smoke cigarettes and drink beer all day. Maybe if I get bored I'd even do a little fishing. :lol:

But I really want to walk the Camino. I feel like I NEED to walk. And since I would have serious time off, I could actually do one of the longer routes and not feel too rushed.

fraluchi said:
jeffnd said:
....the time-off starts sometime in mid-December and goes until the beginning of April. This would mean a winter Camino. I had really wanted to go in the summer, but as I've learned, we don't always get what we want. However... three months free. And money! Granted, not enough to stay in a 4 star hotel every night, but I won't stress if I can afford that second beer. I don't know, what would you do?
Quite simple (depending upon where you live): travel to Costa Rica and enjoy the best climate at that time of the year. The Camino de Santiago will still be there for a later occasion.

Yes, it will always be there. But I might not be. :wink: The cold doesn't bother me, if anything, I'm much more uncomfortable being too hot!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
juliecarteraz said:
Hi Jeff: There are some pilgrims who only do winter Caminos. I feel sure that those pilgrims will respond. In the meantime, it is your Camino. You should do it on your own time. Winter on the Camino cannot be nearly as bad as winter in ND! Smile. :D

Oh, this winter has be terrible! The snow should be almost gone by now, but it just won't warm up! I like winter, as long as it's actually during winter! We just got a few more inches of snow today! :evil:

jeffnd said:
What would I like to do? I'd like to buy an ice fishing house, park it on some secluded spot on the lake, smoke cigarettes and drink beer all day. Maybe if I get bored I'd even do a little fishing. :lol:

But I really want to walk the Camino. I feel like I NEED to walk. And since I would have serious time off, I could actually do one of the longer routes and not feel too rushed.

The Camino is going to be the far more healthy of your dreams! Pursue it!

Serious question: would you consider doing some trekking in South East Asia? December/January is the best time to go and there are some wonderful walks there.

You can even catch an elephant if you can't be bothered walking any more!

On one of our treks the kids were able to make bamboo fishing poles and fish for dinner. They were unsuccessful so our hosts killed a chicken and a couple of hours later we ate it - roasted over the fire.

Worth mentioning...the accommodation will not be quite as swish as even the most basic albergue.

you could start your walk in LePuy france to SJPD (takes about 5 wks) then on to Santiago.. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Patagonia is nice in January. Torres del Paine is a more famous destination. Chile has a hiking route worked out along its entire length from South to North. Lots of oppourtunity to walk ... it just doesn't result in a compostuela.

Kiwi-family said:
jeffnd said:

The Camino is going to be the far more healthy of your dreams! Pursue it!

Serious question: would you consider doing some trekking in South East Asia? December/January is the best time to go and there are some wonderful walks there.

Hmm... perhaps, but I think I need to do the Camino first. The religious aspect of the Camino is a big draw for me. On the subject though, are there any Christian pilgrimages in Asia?

theresairby said:
you could start your walk in LePuy france to SJPD (takes about 5 wks) then on to Santiago.. :)

I've looked at LePuy and I'm considering it. I'm really interested in starting in Paris too, even though I've heard some bad things about it, mainly that the walk out of the city is horrible.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
whariwharangi said:
Patagonia is nice in January. Torres del Paine is a more famous destination. Chile has a hiking route worked out along its entire length from South to North. Lots of oppourtunity to walk ... it just doesn't result in a compostuela.

It's not really the walk that's drawing me to do the Camino. It's the religious and historical nature of it.

jeffnd said:
whariwharangi said:

It's not really the walk that's drawing me to do the Camino. It's the religious and historical nature of it.

You are from ND? Then you know about cold. North of Spain doesn't get anywhere near that cold. The only thing that would give you trouble is the event of deep snow in the Pyranees and perhaps the mountain passes between Astorga and Triacastela. And of course the wet cold torrential downpours in Galacia.

If you don't mind cool wet weather and short days the camino is by all accounts doable in winter. The weather will be considerably warmer than where you live...

Plan B (if the weather goes south) would be to go to the South of Spain where it does not often get below freezing and either rent a place or camp.

If you are looking to walk more after Santiago then I would suggest the Camino from Lisboa.

I would not start till after New Years day ... In Spain everything is closed at the slightest excuse.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
If December to March / April is the time you have then it is, in my opinion, the time you are meant to do your pilgrimage. Not every winter is as harsh and rich in snow as the last one. I did a winter Camino several years back and encountered very little snow. Just be careful, listen to the advice given by the locals and take the safer route when necessary. It is perfectly possible, with the right gear and common sense, to do the Camino Frances in winter. Alternatively, or additionally, you could also look at the Via de la Plata, SY

Winter on the Francais is very quiet and the cold never became unbearable.
Have you thought of Roncesvalles to Santiago then turning south and walking the Via de la Plata in reverse?

I'll be walking in March and April of next year. I'm very optimistic about the weather! I'm hoping that this year used up the bulk of next year's winter. Ha!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Spring is a great time to walk the Jesus Trail in the Galilee region of Israel. Lots of great trekking between amazing historical and religious sites. The wildflowers are also amazing! Could be a nice pilgrimage to combine with the camino.

http://www.jesustrail.com

Thanks everyone, there is certainly a lot to consider. I understand that with this situation I'll be walking in the most off-peak of the off-peak season. I was actually looking forward to the crowds, but I'm becoming more comfortable with the idea of solitude and how it will force me out of my comfort-zone and perhaps ask for assistance while walking, instead of just following where everyone else goes. It's a scary thought!

jeffnd said:
Thanks everyone, there is certainly a lot to consider. I understand that with this situation I'll be walking in the most off-peak of the off-peak season. I was actually looking forward to the crowds, but I'm becoming more comfortable with the idea of solitude and how it will force me out of my comfort-zone and perhaps ask for assistance while walking, instead of just following where everyone else goes. It's a scary thought!

Don't be scared - a winter camino is wonderful! There are still others on the road, typically we were 6-12 in a refuge at night, and being with only a few people on the road you will learn to know them very well and they you (for better or worse). In all cases - have a wonderful Camino! SY

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back