• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Saying Goodbye to Camino Boots or Shoes

Trekker One

Time of past OR future Camino
C.F.2014,15,16,19&23, Portuguese'17, Primitivo'18
Camino - Spain - April - 2015 209.jpg20170418_075446.jpg
Am I the only one that feels a little sad when it is time to retire a pair of shoes or boots that served you faithfully on one or several Camino's?
In my case, I had both love and hate for footwear worn on various Camino's. Picture one is of me trashing my hiking boots in Sahagun in 2015. I decided at that point that they would blister my feet no more. The selection at the store was limited as was their size options, but the cross training shoes lasted for the balance of that Camino, our walk in 2016 on the Francis and our Portuguese Camino in 2017 but were retired in Santiago after the Portuguese Camino. My current Merrell's that survived the Primitivo in 2018 and Camino Francis in 2019 have been relegated to winter walking in the snow and slush, but they will soon be retired as well. New Merrell's waiting in the box for the Del Norte this fall.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sad? No, quite the opposite! I rejoice in that I wore those shoes out!!! Then again I wear Altras, so it’s really not THAT hard to wear them out 😎

Am I the only one that feels a little sad when it is time to retire a pair of shoes or boots that served you faithfully on one or several Camino's?
Not at all! The pair of shoes that I wore on my first Camino in 2016 are in my garage and I can't bear to get rid of them.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was reading recently that a new pair of walking shoes would last 350-500 miles before replacements were required. Having not given it much thought, I would have expected double that.

I was reading recently that a new pair of walking shoes would last 350-500 miles before replacements were required. Having not given it much thought, I would have expected double that.
The 'experts' claim that the cushioning and inner part of the shoe breaks down long before the tread is gone or the shoe is technically worn out. I am far too thrifty for tossing shoes at that point!
Settling on the 'Wright Sock' brand eliminated my blistering issue.
But once the tread is severely compromised or a hole appears than it is a Viking funeral for that pair of shoes.

It really depends on the characteristics and intent of the shoe. I seek high cushioning. Shoes that are designed for that will lose the cushioning relatively fast. And if tbat's important, your feet will let you know. If a shoe is designed for durability first, it will likely not be so cushioned. Neither is a bad shoe - they are serving different purposes.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My Camino footwear always end up doing double duty when I'm finished and an eventual toss into the trash bin. In fact the other day I was looking at a pair of Oboz sawtooth I walked two Camino in and I noticed the sole separating from the upper and when I pulled on it, it completely separated lol. Oh well. Over a thousand miles on those shoes. Not bad. Parts of the outer sole were worn smooth. I now have another pair of sawtooth I walked a recent Pamplona to SDC in still in pretty good shape, and in my garage I have Merrell Moab I walked a Saint Jean to SDC wearing them in 2015. Those are chore shoes.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I have Meindl boots and love them. After a Camino, I can wear them for another 2-3 years putting a couple 1000km on them in my job as a walking tour guide.
Meindl offers to resole your boots for 100€, which is about half the price of a new pair. Haven't done it yet, but may do it soon.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Again the old shoe question! HAHA I know everyone walks and wears out shoes differently. My Brooks Cascadias go and go and go.
was reading recently that a new pair of walking shoes would last 350-500 miles before replacements were required. Having not given it much thought, I would have expected double that.
As Jim wrote and I have seen in many places shoes wear out after 500 miles tops. Well I walk more than that on Caminos and then use the Cascadias I had on my camino to knock around with and hike with and train with for my next Camino. I have to figure by the time the next camino rolls around I have put more than another 500 miles on.

View attachment 139277View attachment 139278
In my case, I had both love and hate for footwear worn on various Camino's. Picture one is of me trashing my hiking boots in Sahagun in 2015. I decided at that point that they would blister my feet no more. The selection at the store was limited as was their size options, but the cross training shoes lasted for the balance of that Camino, our walk in 2016 on the Francis and our Portuguese Camino in 2017 but were retired in Santiago after the Portuguese Camino. My current Merrell's that survived the Primitivo in 2018 and Camino Francis in 2019 have been relegated to winter walking in the snow and slush, but they will soon be retired as well. New Merrell's waiting in the box for the Del Norte this fall.
I happily retired mine into a circular file 😀 they did what they were supposed to do and after I got home I tossed them into ghe trash. As I am a no trace camper I do find it offensive when people leave their shoes on the side of the road/trails/rocks as others have to come by and toss them away, I truly don’t like litter. My memories and photos remind me of my boots with their bright orange laces and that is enfor me.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
View attachment 139277View attachment 139278
When my brand new Brooks wear out half way through a Camino, I am not saddened, but frustrated and angry. I sew them, glue them, duck tape the ankle area, replace inner soles. I get to the end and wear them home (I take no second pair with me). I then return them for credit as they are guaranteed for a year. It is a matter of principal. Society seems to accept the very short life of athletic shoes with very high prices. To spend $150 for less than a month of service is unacceptable. Combat boots and the older style Red Wings (shoes and boots) gave many years of service, albeit at an increased weight. Had the Brooks lasted a couple thousand miles, I probably would not return them. However, I wonder if enough people did this, maybe the shoes would be made more durable. 15-30 years ago, when I was much more active, I could get New Balance and other brands that had much more durable soles and nylon mesh uppers SEWN to the soles. They would get very beat, but would take a long time to fail completely. Unfortunately due to age and strangely shaped feet, boots on the Camino are not an option for me anymore unless I experiment with custom made models in the $500 plus range.

I was sad to leave behind the Salomon GTX 4 mid hikers that got me from SJPdP to SdC this past September to October, it was like saying goodbye to old friends. I left them in my hotel room after a brief goodbye ceremony where I thanked them for their service. Bought an identical pair when I got home and we're getting acquainted.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My Camino shoes are in the hall closet until spring, they still have some life in them even though the lugs are worn down on the heels. They'll get me through spring training and then as others have said may end up being my gardening shoes. Part of me wants to keep them, part of me doesn't care lol.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My Scarpa boots have been resting in the wardrobe for 3 years after walking 3 caminos with me in the previous 3 years. I am now planning to walk the VdlP this year and only yesterday took them out to check the soles .
I feel very sad that I will need to replace them as they have saved me from injury and blisters and I’m now having to make the difficult decision of what to buy since the model has been retired.

I kept both of my pairs of my 2021 and 2022 Camino shoes for a while - but a couple months I was cleaning out my closet and just tossed them and bought my 2023 training pair and 2023 Via Francigena pair. Yet - I still couldn't bring myself to toss either pair of boots that I wore on my 2003 Inca Trail hike. Go figure! Yep - those boots are still in my closet and surprisingly I can still hike in them when I want to (rare to use now - but still decent shape).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Do consider donating your shoes and boots to those less fortunate to have decent footwear. Much better alternative then throwing them in the trash (unless they have holes in them)

On my first Camino in 2015 I left my trailrunners in Finesterre at Mirador Fin da Terra where we were staying. It was a bit sad to leave them behind as they had served me very well.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When my brand new Brooks wear out half way through a Camino, I am not saddened, but frustrated and angry. I sew them, glue them, duck tape the ankle area, replace inner soles. I get to the end and wear them home (I take no second pair with me). I then return them for credit as they are guaranteed for a year. It is a matter of principal. Society seems to accept the very short life of athletic shoes with very high prices. To spend $150 for less than a month of service is unacceptable. Combat boots and the older style Red Wings (shoes and boots) gave many years of service, albeit at an increased weight. Had the Brooks lasted a couple thousand miles, I probably would not return them. However, I wonder if enough people did this, maybe the shoes would be made more durable. 15-30 years ago, when I was much more active, I could get New Balance and other brands that had much more durable soles and nylon mesh uppers SEWN to the soles. They would get very beat, but would take a long time to fail completely. Unfortunately due to age and strangely shaped feet, boots on the Camino are not an option for me anymore unless I experiment with custom made models in the $500 plus range.
*principle.

I think old leather boots look awesome as outdoor planters, but trail runners don't seem quite the same.
Here are a couple of pairs displayed at Gite Ultreia where we stayed in Moissac on the Via Podiensis...so cute.
Screenshot_20230114-140846~2.png

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I don't think my Altras last twice that, but then I replace them when the tread is unevenly worn. My husband might get that amount; he continues to wear them after they have holes, no tread, etc., so guess it depends on how you define "replacements were required."

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.