• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Scallop Shell

almhath

I read different accounts about the Scallop Shells, and my question is where to wear them?

Some say on the back of the rucksack. Yet at other times I've seen them around the neck, like a necklace.

Ideas?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Wherever you find most comfortable and convenient. The rucksack is probably best for comfort but more likely to be damaged if it is put down roughly. Wearing one on a piece of material around your neck is very simple too.

Hi - most people 'wear' the scallop shell by tying it to their rucksack ... but, there are certain places on the way that you might like to tie another shell to a post or tree - you will see when you go.
Once on the Camino you will find many places to get them, very cheap - cheaper as you get closer to Santiago - .
Before you go you may buy some Coquille St. Jacques from the freezer department of your supermarket (shells filled with cockles in a cheesy sauce - eat the cockles and keep the shells).

You can trust to buy when you start or go to my website at http://www.pilgrimsupplies.org or similar.. (please don't think this is a commercial advert - they end up at cost and I include a tiny Camino gift).

Very few wear the scallop shell as a body ornament, nearly 100% tie it to their rucksack, though you can find smaller items such as pendants and lapel pins to wear.

Hope this helps :wink:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I assumed I'd be able to find Camino items in all big cities along the way. But when I walked the VDLP, the only place I found Camino merchandise was Santiago! Not even in Sevilla, the start, and Spain's fourth largest city! I guess it's because the Via de la Plata isn't nearly as popular as the Camino Frances, where I've heard you can find Camino merchandise all over. Anyway, I'm not sure which Camino you'll be taking, but if it's a route other than the Camino Frances, you should buy online or you'll probably have to wait until Santiago.

Melanie

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.