• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Scallop Shell

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles 2016
Camino Portuguese 2017
Sorry if this has been addressed but I'm just looking for a quick answer.
Is the scallop shell something you buy at the beginning of your camino to help identify you as a pilgrim or is it something you buy at the end as a sign of completion? And where do you buy it?
Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In the medieval period it was a token that indicated completion of the pilgrimage... In the modern era it has become more a marker for pilgrims on the journey. Of course, you are free to do it either way!

Ivar sells some good looking shells in the Camino store (accessible via the services link on the menu) for a good price.

Grace+Peace

-Jason

Is the scallop shell something you buy at the beginning of your camino to help identify you as a pilgrim or is it something you buy at the end as a sign of completion? And where do you buy it?
Thanks!
It is something you earn, and ideally find yourself on the coast or after ordering à great meal In Santiago or passing by the market. I read something one day that claimed the shell was a way to identify oneself as a pilgrim In order to get assistance from the locals, churches, etc. With or nylon, polysomething and Merino clothes, or backpacks, walking poles and walking shoes, I don't think we need a shell purchased In a souvenir shop to let people know we are walking on the Caminos.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I got my shell at the Pilgrim's office in SJPDP. They had them there and were just asking for a donation. So my shell was attached to my backpack for the whole journey. The shells are also sold in stores all along the camino. I don't know the Inglis route though, so someone else may be able to tell you if it is better to order them ahead of time as suggested by Jason.

Yes, your backpack will identify you as a pilgrim. The shell is optional and you can get it any time you choose. You could bring one from home, buy one along the way, or aquire one when you finish. Whatever works for you.

Thanks!
Some people claim that it should accompany you on the whole Camino. Other people claim that it should only be obtained at the end of the Camino. Many of these people claim only one way is "correct" or "right" but usually the certainty is based on which old wive's tale they heard first or sounds right to them. I figure that these two options have been argued about for many, many centuries - shockingly, even before this forum started. The only "proof" and logic that I have seen and makes sense to me says that many pilgrims through the centuries made their Caminos with a scallop shell, but you know what? It really doesn't matter. Take one with you if you want to. Get one at the end of you want to. Don't get one at all if you want to.

That said, I was asked at the Pilgrim office at St. Jean Pied de Port in 2012 if I wanted one before heading off to Roncevalles. I said "no" but changed my mind as I started to walk down the street at the beginning of my Camino. I went back in, left a donation to support their work, picked up a random shell and attached it to my bag with the string they gave me. It is now one of my most prized possessions after also accompanying me from Lisbon to Santiago. I'm very happy I changed my mind.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My understanding was that the scallop shell was carried along by pilgrims. It's use was entirely practical - to scoop drinking water from wells, streams and pails. They give you one in the camino passport office in SJPP.

Living not far from the sea we have each used a small shell from the beach (fastened to our hats) while walking the Camino. Our scallop shells are from Santiago itself, including the ones given out at the English 'Evening prayer' in the cathedral chapel in 2015 - reviving the old tradition of receiving a shell at the end of the pilgrimage. Very special.
That has been right for us, but others prefer to walk with a shell to show they are on their pilgrimage, so it is really your choice.
Buen Camino

The association of the scallop shell with Santiago is long and ancient. From the tradition that his 'stone' boat was covered with scallops (what don't cling to nuffink, they are free swimming bi-valves) to the tradition that He used a scallop shell to scoop water for the dying pilgrim from the Fuenta Reniaga on the Alto del Perdon. As a badge for a pilgrim to Santiago the shell reflects the association, as proof of pilgrimage completed; well I can pick one from my local beach any day, any tide.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Loads of super stuff above. Just to add my version - I live by the sea here in Scotland. On my training walk I went to the next village down the coast and they had a crate of empty smelly scallop shells waiting to be taken out to sea by the next fishing boat and dumped. I took one in a bag and brought it back home and washed it in a bucket outside my house. My husband drilled a little hole in it and I painted on a St James cross in red acrylic paint and tied it to my rucksack. It knocked against my aluminium water bottle all the way making a lovely note and reminding me of home. Do what makes you happy Camino with Kids as long as it doesn't make others unhappy.

I got mine in Le Puy at the start of our pilgrimage last year at the Grand Semenaire-Accueil Saint Georges for a donation. When walking on the routes in France, it is certainly not the case that everyone with a backpack is a pilgrim, so I liked having it on the back of my pack as a way to identify myself as one.

A few days out from Le Puy, while passing through a small village, we saw a statue that looked like a pilgrim down a side street and decided to take a look. It led us to a tiny little cafe run by an old man in a wheelchair and his sons. He carves little wooden coquilles (French for scallops) so we bought a couple. I sewed one to the front of my Tilley hat.

Alison - I love that. Bringing something from home to soak up the Camino energy.

Last year we were cleaning out my grandparents' house after my grandpa passed away and I found a scallop shell on my grandpa's work bench in the garage - just randomly there - no other shells, nothing else from the beach, just this scallop shell. There were a lot of random things in his workshop, so who knows. I took it as a sign though. I put the shell in my pocket and now I drive around with it my car - thinking of my grandpa and the Camino. We return to the Camino in May and I will take this shell with me :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Alison - I love that. Bringing something from home to soak up the Camino energy.

Last year we were cleaning out my grandparents' house after my grandpa passed away and I found a scallop shell on my grandpa's work bench in the garage - just randomly there - no other shells, nothing else from the beach, just this scallop shell. There were a lot of random things in his workshop, so who knows. I took it as a sign though. I put the shell in my pocket and now I drive around with it my car - thinking of my grandpa and the Camino. We return to the Camino in May and I will take this shell with me :)
Think Ill start a new thread .... (after dinner now! maybe tomorrow!)

Before my Caminos I went to a local crafts store and they had a large collection of shells for art projects. Scallop shells were available in many sizes and quite inexpensive by the individual piece. I bougt one and placed a string through some small drilled holes and Voila! - a nice inexpensive scallop shell to wear.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone list their coquille (concha, scallop shell, pick your language) in their packing lists, at least not any that included the weight. I weighed mine the other day and it came in at about 50g (it's about 5" or 12cm across). About the same as my swiss army knife and a bit more than a Clif bar (40g). I had to choose, I'd carry it and get rid of one of my Clif bars. Wouldn't want to have to make the choice between it and the swiss army knife, though.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The shells were sold to pilgrims In The middle ages by over 100 vendors In Santiago. But "counterfit" shells started being sold in towns along The way, Leon for example. To stop this cheating The Church took back The control of "Shell issuing". A good history book and not a tourist guide will explain this In detail.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone list their coquille (concha, scallop shell, pick your language) in their packing lists, at least not any that included the weight. I weighed mine the other day and it came in at about 50g (it's about 5" or 12cm across). About the same as my swiss army knife and a bit more than a Clif bar (40g). I had to choose, I'd carry it and get rid of one of my Clif bars. Wouldn't want to have to make the choice between it and the swiss army knife, though.
Mine was weightless once it came back from my pilgrimage. I put it on the scale and it read "0 grams". Really. Must be something miraculous about the scallop shell that has been on Camino. Next time I suspect it will actually register less than 0 and actually ease my burden . . . ;)

I live by a beach in Australia so I have found some beautiful scallops there and will certainly be bringing one from home

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Or you make one.
img_6583.jpg

I never carried one on any of my Caminos, but I did collect a few off the beach at Finisterre in 2014. Gave them to family as gifts.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Last year near Compostela I discovered that I could easily identify people who were in organized tours. They had the full Saint James regalia: pins, stickers in their backpacks, brand new wood staffs, cute little gourds, and scallop shells. It was a bit too much...but I have nothing against that, really, and I suppose it is good for the local economy.
Regarding the long distance walkers, some of them wore the scallop, some not. I generally go for sobriety and minimalism, but this is me. On the other side, in less transited routes in Germany or France, I discovered that carrying the shell was convenient, because pilgrims are not such a frequent view. I feel that people tend to be more helpful and friendly with us, or at least more prone to engage in a bit of talk ("why are you doing that?" "is it too tough?", this kind of thing). It is pleasant, especially when you have walked alone all day.

Last edited:
The shells were sold to pilgrims In The middle ages by over 100 vendors In Santiago. But "counterfit" shells started being sold in towns along The way, Leon for example. To stop this cheating The Church took back The control of "Shell issuing". A good history book and not a tourist guide will explain this In detail.
Considering that many of the pilgrims in the Middle Ages would have lived near shorelines or within trading distance of them, or walked by beaches on the their way, did the church also guard all the beaches of Europe on the Mediterranean, Aegean, Black, North, Baltic, Irish Seas, English Channel and Atlantic Ocean? I've been looking for a good history book that addresses this issue and finally puts my doubts to rest but, sadly, I've been unsuccessful so far although I did stumble upon this poem from the early 1600's: http://www.bartleby.com/101/77.html . Someday though, I hope to have certainty one way or the other.

Considering that many of the pilgrims in the Middle Ages would have lived near shorelines or within trading distance of them, or walked by beaches on the their way, did the church also guard all the beaches of Europe on the Mediterranean, Aegean, Black, North, Baltic, Irish Seas, English Channel and Atlantic Ocean? I've been looking for a good history book that addresses this issue and finally puts my doubts to rest but, sadly, I've been unsuccessful so far although I did stumble upon this poem from the early 1600's: http://www.bartleby.com/101/77.html . Someday though, I hope to have certainty one way or the other.
Try Mille Fois à Compostelle. Super detailed references.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
We brought our shells of no special category from Long Beach Island, NJ, and fastened them to our backpack to remind us of home as we started our short two-week walk. We brought three - we were only two walking, but thought often of our third at home. Funny that. Then, for Christmas, I did order two from the forum as I was missing the scallop with the red cross. One was affixed to my 13 year-old's stocking and now hangs on the cross in his bedroom. A nice reminder of the homes we found on the road away from home. Buen Camino! I know symbols have origins and places, and this is how these shells came to be in/on our road. Buen Camino, Teresa

Thanks!

Buy a Scallop shell from an art/hobby store, paint a cross on it, have you priest bless the shell and start your Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I carried three shells on my camino last fall. The first two I picked up at the Pilgrim Office in St Jean Pied de Port, one for me and one to carry for Denise, to leave in Santiago for her memorial. The third shell was given to me in Arzua, after the Sunday mass, by a woman who insisted that I take it. She said that the man who painted the red cross on it had asked that the shells which he painted be given to pilgrims, asking that they pray for him in his grief for his son, who died. This shell took pride of place hanging in front of me for the rest of my camino. Whenever I saw it, I would remember to pray for him. As a look at it now I begin to pray again. I have two further shells, which were given to me by a friendly woman whom I met in Finisterre. She put with them a little candle, which I can light to shine during my prayer time.

I ordered from Etsy a small shell (about 2 inches across), already drilled and strung on a cord. I plan to wear it around my neck next year for my first Camino. I may also wear a small cross, even though I'm not Christian, as a token of respect to the ancient Christian pilgrimage road.

Thanks!
I bought two shells (one for me and one for travel buddy) as well as a passport and plastic sleeve right from Ivar on this web site. They are in great shape and I received them within a week. They are very inexpensive, but the international shipping was $$. I wanted them before we arrive in sjpdp because we are flying into Paris. Staying in Paris a few days and you can get a pilgrim stamp at Notre Dame.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Staying in Paris a few days and you can get a pilgrim stamp at Notre Dame.

And also at the Tour St. Jacques.

I brought a shell from home and certainly when walking in France from Paris it was recognized by many people as a sign that I was a pilgrim rather than a hiker. Had a lot of interesting conversations because of it.

Secondly, @MichaelSG, W Raleigh doesn't really count, I mean, 1603 ???
Did I get that wrong? Was it 1604?

Actually, my point was that it seemed from the poem that it was already a tradition as early as the beginning of the 17th century to take your scallop shell on your pilgrimage. I'm not sure when the tradition started but I am pretty sure it was well before 11 July 2006. A tradition that is more than 400 years old isn't something to dismiss as new-fangled.

Also, I always get a chuckle (now a silent one) when someone says that the shells were used as proof of arriving in Santiago or Fisterra. Those mollusks littered the coast of southern, western and northern Europe so that makes them rather strange "proof". If they got traded inland as far as Leon, I'm sure they also made it to the places where many of the medieval pilgrims began their walks or passed through on their way.

In the medieval period it was a token that indicated completion of the pilgrimage... In the modern era it has become more a marker for pilgrims on the journey. Of course, you are free to do it either way!

Ivar sells some good looking shells in the Camino store (accessible via the services link on the menu) for a good price.

Grace+Peace

-Jason
Hi Jason, I am in the California High Desert also, Morongo Valley and also planning to start my Camino in Septembre, the 16th. When will you be starting?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Jason, I am in the California High Desert also, Morongo Valley and also planning to start my Camino in Septembre, the 16th. When will you be starting?
@BillieBob I will be walking from St. Jean on Sep. 8th, so if I'm slow you might catch up to me! :)

The belief in the power of relics and touch-relics (items that had been in touch with or close to the relics or shrine - even dirt or dust from the site) started to wane in the middle to late 1500s and to be regarded as superstition.

Though interest in relics has indeed declined since the Reformation, there are still many Catholics who are interested in such things (including myself!). I know many people who have so-called 3rd Class Relics (what you refer to as touch-relics) of thier favorite saints as an article of devotion.

I say "so-called" since I have never encountered a formal Church document that governs (or even mentions) them...but for many they can be a great (non-superstitious) way of feeling connected to a particular saint and are easily obtainable (unlike first and second class Relics).

Depending on who you ask, placing you shell on the tomb would provide you with such a relic (as I said, Church guidance is lacking and there are varying opinions as to whether touching the tomb rather than the bones is 'sufficient'--though in context I am not too sure what sufficient means :) )

:rolleyes:o_O;);)
OK, now without so many :)s and ;)s ...

By 1600, the nature of pilgrimages had changed (following Reformation and also reforms within the Catholic Church). People continued to go on pilgrimage to shrines as an act of devotion or veneration but the medieval cult of relics, the belief in the physical wonder-working power of the shrine, had declined by then. For the medieval pilgrim, the importance and power of shells and other items came from having been acquired near the shrine itself, due to being in the physical presence of the relics; a shell picked up on the local shore did not have this power. The belief in the power of relics and touch-relics (items that had been in touch with or close to the relics or shrine - even dirt or dust from the site) started to wane in the middle to late 1500s and to be regarded as superstition.

It's correct that by 1600, scallop shells had become a general symbol of pilgrimage in art (visual art, literature). Scallop shells were not only associated with the pilgrimage to Santiago but also with other sites such as Mont Saint Michel in Northern France and with pilgrimage in general.

Most of the sources quoted in Mille fois are reports written by medieval pilgrims: they refer to the scallop shells being offered and acquired in Santiago. There were cases of fraud, i.e. scallop shells were sold or manufactured in the form of badges elsewhere. The two references I mentioned earlier refer to such cases, i.e cases where pilgrims are said to have acquired them before reaching Santiago.

And now back to the power of the shells of the 21st century! :)
Thank you so much from saving me the translation and typing you did ;), and a few heats and clapping hands ;).

As for the power of the shell in 2016: for people to make easy money :rolleyes:.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Kathar1na , I would not doubt that many (most?) medieval pilgrims picked up, bought or were given scallops shells at Fisterra or Santiago and cherished them as some sort of relic. Hopefully I have not given the impression otherwise.

I have only argued against the myths that the shells were somehow considered as proof of arrival, that they were not also carried (or worse yet "should not" be carried) on the pilgrimage towards Santiago or that carrying them on a pilgrimage now was not a very old tradition worthy of emulation rather than scorn.

I thought through the posts that I was clear but if my English failed me and conveyed the wrong ideas, I'm sorry.

:cool:I guess it's back to translating yet again. Or better yet, let those stuck in their non substanciated ideas do their own homework.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regardless of whether pilgrims carried or collected them, the scallop shell has been the symbol of St James since early times. So it seems a quite understandable insignia of someone making the journey to or from Santiago, regardless of when it became commonplace.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
"The modern wearing of a shell by persons walking the pilgrimage routes seems to have sprung up naturally in the 1980s in an attempt to mark themselves as 'real' pilgrims as opposed to recreational hikers. The shell serves as an identity badge for modern pilgrims; its original medieval functions (amulet, touch-relic, verification of arrival) have been lost or forgotten".

.... and that is an exact quote "by a scholar" that gets quoted by others yet makes no sense at all. The tradition, I think we both agree, started at least in the late 1500's. I don't know how much earlier it started than that, if at all, but to say that it started in the 1980's is silly and already makes me question how informed or correct the "scholar" is about other issues. Also, I can believe that the original use of the shell was as an amulet or touch relic but "verification of arrival"? Seriously? Wouldn't Azabache (jet black), which is from the area, work a little better than something easily available to anyone that wanted to fake their pilgrimage?

Now our positions are probably is pretty close to each other; something like "Carry a shell with you if you want to or don't carry one if you don't want to. It's been a tradition to carry one for several hundred years but it was not the original use of the shell which was as a relic taken from a sacred place upon arrival in Santiago." How does that sound? I hope it works because I'm walking for the next five weeks and probably won't be able to reply (which may make some people happy anyway. :p )

It's correct that by 1600, scallop shells had become a general symbol of pilgrimage in art (visual art, literature). Scallop shells were not only associated with the pilgrimage to Santiago but also with other sites such as Mont Saint Michel in Northern France and with pilgrimage in general.
...then I misunderstood you here. Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.