• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Scallop Shell

hastings1066

My local fishmonger has only had scallops off the shell for weeks now. Suggestions please about where one gets a scallop shell- I really would like to wear this traditional badge of the pilgrim all along my route. I will be walking the Camino Ingles in September.
Hastings1066

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In Spain - shops, roadside sellers, albergues, some cafe-bars, tourism offices - almost anywhere sells them.
At home? Check out the catering supply shops. We can buy sets of six scallops here to serve fish startes.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The shells generally have two holes drilled in the corners of the 'wings' (oops just shown complete ignorance of shell atanomy..) and has a string threaded through so you can tie it to your backpack.

Pretty common on the camino frances but I havn't done the ingles yet so don't know how available they are they. I think there is someone who sells them on ebay!

Laura

Hi Anne

Brother David who is also a Forum member has a website
http://www.PilgrimSupplies.Org I'm sure that you could get one from there if you want to be sure of having one before you leave home. Otherwise, certainly on the Camno Frances it was easy to pick one up along the way.

Mercury

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My brother kindly collected some for me (empty on the beach). But I am in two minds wether to wear it or not going towards Santiago as I heard it was traditionally only worn after reaching Santiago. I may be being overly pedantic!!

Originally, the shell was worn on the trip home, since in the Middle Ages, you walked to AND from Santiago. In modern times, however, we only walk one way & it's quite common to see pilgrims with shells on their packs on their way TO Santiago. :)

The shells I have seen for sale on the Camino Frances have cords on them, but some still break out their sewing kits & sew the shell onto their packs.

Buen Camino!

Kelly

Hi,
For my first Camino (summer, 2007) I purchased a shell in Puente la Reina. However, when we arrived in Fisterra one of my companions collected a beautiful small shell for each of us as a gift. For my second Camino (summer 2008) I drilled two small holes in it and sewed it on my pack. It wasn't as big or jangly,(is that a word? or am I making it up?) and it didn't have the Santiago cross painted on it, but it had special meaning and I was very pleased to take it along with me.

I have found that when I am in other places in Spain and see people with a backpack, if I note the vieira I will sometimes speak to them about the Camino...at least you can identify them as Pilgrims not just backpackers or hikers.

Buen Camino,

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello

I am carrying out some preliminary research for a radio documentary about the scallop.
We are hoping to talk to pilgrims and people involved in the scallop industry - preferably someone who incorporates both of these things ie a scallop diver about to set off on the camino...

I'd appreciate any help, hints or tips that anyone can offer - no matter how small/seemingly irrelevant

Thank you!

You could try wiki - and this website for info:

http://seagrant.gso.uri.edu/factsheets/scallop.html

Not sure about scallop divers.

This blog reported on the recent scallop scandal involving a Michelin-starred chef in Santiago.

http://www.gourmet.com/travel/2008/09/s ... op-scandal

This foodie blog reports on the main scallop fishing areas along the French and Spanish coasts.
France not only produces, but also imported 7840 metric tons of scallops in 2007 alone, including 60% of the UK catch . In the UK during 2007 nearly 18,500 tons of scallops were landed grossing £32,000,000 for the fishing industry, but so few are eaten by the inhabitants.

http://catchingarainbow.blogs.letelegra ... g/scallops

And, then you have the recent story of William and Harry who requested the simple symbol of a scallop shell to feature on both their crests and Coat of Arms. The scallop is the symbol for the Spencer family Coat of Arms and was Princess Diana’s as well.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... crest.html

You can get shells all the way along the Camino Frances (which is where I picked mine up). However, I recently started the Via de la Plata in Seville (a long term project) and didn't see a single shell. So, I think that if you are going by anything but the Frances, you might be better off getting your shell at home and then using a tile drill bit to make two holes for your cord. I would phone around your local fish restaurants. They might get scallops flown in from somewhere (or can ask their suppliers to send a shell with their next shipment. I have also seen them for sale for serving scallops. People use the top half of the shell, not the bottom.

Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
hastings1066 said:
My local fishmonger has only had scallops off the shell for weeks now. Suggestions please about where one gets a scallop shell- I really would like to wear this traditional badge of the pilgrim all along my route. I will be walking the Camino Ingles in September.
Hastings1066

Funny that the original question on this thread was from Hastings1066 - our scallop shells came from Hastings beach (East Sussex, England) just lying about where the fishermen had discarded after preparing the scallops for sale. I guess they were the top shells, because they are often displayed in the bottom half!

Seems I read somewhere that the scallop shell was something worn by pilgrims on their way BACK FROM Santiago... but now, it's changed, and people can purchase them all along the way.

I love seeing them hanging from the pilgrim's pack - mine's hanging above my bed, ready for my next Camino.... less than 2 months away! HOORAY!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In my opinion should be worn when you start el camino. The tradition of the scallop shell, ("vieira") started because pilgrims used to use them for drinking fresh water from the streams and rivers, so obviously, it was hanging from the pilgrim's pack all the way to Santiago.
If you need more let me know, I have some at home and I would not mind sending one to you. (I use them for cooking Galician style scallops :D )

I phoned around town frantically trying to find a scallop shell at fish markets to no avail. Then found one quite by accident in a bead shop (Yes, there are shops dedicated to stringing beads on thread. Some of the hobbyists make very intricate and beautiful jewelry)

Occasionally special beads of opal, amber, quartz and other crystals are available too if you believe stones convey merit or safety on their bearers.

I am accumulating quite a cluster of amulets that I tie to my pack, gifts from friends and fellow pilgrims.

David, Victoria, Canada

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Where does one find these? I am walking the camino de madrid, in june. Just thought I would throw this out there. Thank you! Buen camino

Everywhere!!

They are in shops, bars, souvenir shops, and path-side stands.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Abbeydore said:
falcon269 said:
Everywhere!!

........but not on Falcon's sack :wink: (or mine :lol: )

Were ya' walking in front of Johnny Walker? :p Snagged your shell and your roo's?!! Oh my!

myschf said:
Abbeydore said:
falcon269 said:
Everywhere!!

........but not on Falcon's sack :wink: (or mine :lol: )

Were ya' walking in front of Johnny Walker? :p Snagged your shell and your roo's?!! Oh my!

Mine dry to quick for Johnnie, woolie & bamboo :D :D (I did show a :arrow: :mrgreen: )

I will walk a portion of the Camino del Norte and the entire Primitivo. I've heard that trinkets and souvenirs (ie - shells) are mostly on the Frances. If anyone knows which town/city along the Norte or Primitivo has some available I'd greatly appreciate it.

Buen Camino,
Ed.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You could do a reverse-scallop, like I did. Picked one up on the beach at Fisterra, low tide, after dawdling all the way from Le Puy. Well, it's not really a scallop shell, more of a cockle, but it's got the ridges running the right way. Let's not get technical.

The only suggestion that we can make is to try a fish market (Santander etc) or fish shop/restaurant. They might sell or give you one. We didn't see any on the Primitivo and Terry didn't between Santander and Oviedo. On our way home we did buy a Tarta Santiago in a shell from a bakers near the convent of Santa Clara in Ribadeo - well west of Gijón.

For Terry's Camino (2009) he took half of a cockle shell from the local beach and left me the other half. I now use that and we both have them tied to our hats.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.