• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Scallop shells

Susanwills

Time of past OR future Camino
(2016)
Where do these giant scallop shells really come from? I see many shells on the beach here in finnestere, but none that look like the giants everyone is given. Are these harvested in nets in deep water? Why do we not find them on the beach here? What is the truth? I have only seen them in restaurants.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
So Im starting in Leon in a few weeks...where would I get my scallop shell to hang on my pack? Thanks!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I saw them in the Camino tourist shop in front of the Cathedral. No doubt they are in other places.

Thanks... being from NZ you would think they were in abundance on our beaches... there are plenty but sadly they are broken.. will keep looking,, be nice to have one from each country :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks... being from NZ you would think they were in abundance on our beaches... there are plenty but sadly they are broken.. will keep looking,, be nice to have one from each country :)
OMG I only just realised how old this thread was.
They are a deeper water shellfish, not found in the shallows. (With the exception of Clarkes beach, but that is only in certain tides).
Many dive or dredge for them. My father was an environmental activist and amongst other things fought to get dredging banned in places as is so destructive to the seabed.
If you are a diver you will see that they literally try to get away from you, and evade being caught. After seeing that I haven't eaten them again. (I cant eat Octopus either).
However a certain amount of hypocrisy is involved as I happily wear a shell on my pack.

I did find several very nice ones at the beach in Finisterre. The trick ist to go for a walk at the beach very early in the morning, before other pilgrims have already picked them up! I found enough to be able to gift them to other pilgrims who were less lucky, and some to family members at home. The shell that is on my backpack now is from Finisterre.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So Im starting in Leon in a few weeks...where would I get my scallop shell to hang on my pack? Thanks!
Plenty of souvenir shops in Leon to get one. Alternatively (and my preference), order "Vieiras" in a seafood restaurant along with a glass of White and get the shell with it free of charge!

Plenty of souvenir shops in Leon to get one. Alternatively (and my preference), order "Vieiras" in a seafood restaurant along with a glass of White and get the shell with it free of charge!
But without the predrilled holes and string to attach it to your backpack!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
But without the predrilled holes and string to attach it to your backpack!
Remember the road leading out of Leon after crossing the small bridge next to the Parador?
You'll find several workshops that'll do a small favor for a friendly Peregrino......😎

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Can someone please describe the difference between the Wise Pilgrim print edition, the kindle edition, and the app for the Camino Primitivo? I mean up-to-date info, ease of use, etc. If I got the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.