• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Scam outside of Sarria

Caz spencer

Time of past OR future Camino
Santiago
Walking up the track from railway line out of Sarria today people asking for donations for the deaf and mute and blind

It is a scam !!! Be Aware please !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Once we put the word out about these folks appearing at position "A" they simply move to position "B." It is a roving scam.

Eventually, as the pilgrim volume builds, these folks will reappear in Santiago, working throngs of pilgrims and tourists coming for the Feast of Santiago on 25 July. I see them every year.

This year, I am thinking of introducing myself to them, thus establishing that they are neither deaf nor dumb. Of course, they are not. I have seen them jump out of the way of an auto that beeped its horn for the crowd to move.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Scam? Why scam? Think of them as fishermen trying their luck in a different place. So many people in Spain and just about everywhere have fallen off the train of life and can't regain their seat. Mercy is a good virtue, Christian or Jewish, give or don't give they are not violent and easy enough to simply ignore.

The use of "dumb" to describe the inability to speak is highly offensive to deaf people.
Very true, @grayland, although in this case it does fit.
I would never think to call a deaf person 'dumb,' but these people are not mute - they are dumb. As in stubbornly ignorant of useful ways of being in the world.

Scam? Why scam?
Very simply because they are lying to and taking from people who innocently believe them.
Sometimes compassion can be fierce, rather than condoning unwholesome livelihoods.
The place I do feel compassion is for the girls individually, because they are part of a bigger 'organization,' and for whatever reason are unable to extract themselves.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Very true, @grayland, although in this case it does fit.
I would never think to call a deaf person 'dumb,' but these people are not mute - they are dumb. As in stubbornly ignorant of useful ways of being in the world.

Very simply because they are lying to and taking from people who innocently believe them.
Sometimes compassion can be fierce, rather than condoning unwholesome livelihoods.
The place I do feel compassion is for the girls individually, because they are part of a bigger 'organization,' and for whatever reason are unable to extract themselves.
Simply ignore them, there are far worse lies in this world involving far greater sums of money.

If you want to give money to the deaf and the mute, make a donation to an official Spanish charity before you leave.

Don't support crime. These gangs make millions and the people at the top live in better homes than you do.

I have seen them gather with one another on their lunch breaks, eating better than I was eating on my pilgrim limited budget. But give has directed by God.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Scam? Why scam? Think of them as fishermen trying their luck in a different place. So many people in Spain and just about everywhere have fallen off the train of life and can't regain their seat. Mercy is a good virtue, Christian or Jewish, give or don't give they are not violent and easy enough to simply ignore.
I came across them on the way outside of Barbadelo. They were walking down the track with their clipboards, I said no because I knew it was a scam. The older woman came over to me and pinched my arm, and ran off. A friend of mine was approached and didn't know about the scam. He gave some money and then they got aggressive saying he should give more.

I came across them on the way outside of Barbadelo. They were walking down the track with their clipboards, I said no because I knew it was a scam. The older woman came over to me and pinched my arm, and ran off. A friend of mine was approached and didn't know about the scam. He gave some money and then they got aggressive saying he should give more.
If they are physically aggressive a police report should be filed.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I applaud people's desire to help the less-fortunate - I donate money and time to charitable causes too. The issue here though is that these women are not deaf, nor are they mute. They are not collecting money for charity. They are part of an organized scam in which people misrepresent themselves as deaf people collecting money for charity. The charity doesn't exist. The women are not needy. They prey on people's empathy for their own financial gain. There is also often a 2nd part of the scam - when people do give money, while they are distracted, and others in the group will pick their pockets.

If anybody wants to give money to help the needy, give it to an actual charity, not random people on the street who say they represent a charity.

there are far worse lies in this world involving far greater sums of money.
Don't support crime. These gangs make millions and the people at the top live in better homes than you do.
As @MinaKamina says, this is no petty scam of a few euros here and there, but much more of a 'racket.'

Thank you for your insight, exactly how I felt, we are all a part of the human race, don’t give if that is how you feel.
Being kind and merciful can also mean speaking the truth.
And what they are doing is wrong.
Yes, they are human beings, but their actions are not worthy of nice language - and others need to understand these are not actually helpless poor people.

Edit - Someone had told me the girls are exploited as part of an organized gang. I do not know if that is true, but here are some articles that shows this kind of thing is not just a trivial street scam, but the tip of a much bigger and uglier iceberg:
https://www.thelocal.es/20140410/gang-forces-disabled-foreigners-into-begging-and-sex-work
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36595175

Last edited:
Once we put the word out about these folks appearing at position "A" they simply move to position "B." It is a roving scam.

Eventually, as the pilgrim volume builds, these folks will reappear in Santiago, working throngs of pilgrims and tourists coming for the Feast of Santiago on 25 July. I see them every year.

This year, I am thinking of introducing myself to them, thus establishing that they are neither deaf nor dumb. Of course, they are not. I have seen them jump out of the way of an auto that beeped its horn for the crowd to move.
I wonder if they play a 'mean-pinball'!!

"I can cope with the disappointment. It's the hope that gets me every time."

As members have said, in innumerable threads, it's a scam. Of course it's a scam. What sort of charity sets a couple of young women somewhere in the middle of nowhere, other than for its heavy pedestrian traffic of bright-eyed, happy-hearted Pilgs with cash in their pockets and 'good-ness' in their hearts, and sets them a target of X€/day? Oh, and with bonuses for results and re-assignments for poor performance. These girls won't pick your pocket, they're to exposed without big city crowds to meld into, they won't even remember your face if you throw a back-loop and walk past them again 10 minutes later. "Hola! Hacia demasiado calor en Barcelona?" might be good for a laugh but it won't change their life or yours. Just don't give them any money. Not because they don't 'deserve' it but just because every € you put into that pot ensures the continuation of the mutual exploitation.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If they come near us in a forest on our upcoming Camino, they'll get a big whack of our walking sticks around their heads. They can make a police report, of course ;)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
They have started to appear in Santiago. We were 'accosted' by one, but ignored her. In fact, I'm sure we saw her outside Sarria.

Later saw her in 'conversation' with a couple of local policemen ....

It is indeed a scam...these girls are thieves. I witnessed one going through the pack of an older pilgrim as another kept her attention with her 'petition'...they took her medications and a small purse. I also was immediately following a group young Korean walkers who told me that when they were getting a few coins from their purse, one 'deaf girl' took his entire wallet and ran into the woods. They have not fallen off the track requiring another chance...they orchestrate this scam year round in various areas and their sole purpose is to steal from goodhearted walkers. They do not require mercy, they prey on others. They require arrest.

Biff confirmed my earlier post. They DO move to Santiago as the crowds grow... And they CAN speak and hear.

ergo sum qui sum...therefore, I am what I am...

There are three women in Porto on the bridge with clipboards and gullible tourists, signing and giving. I suppose as long as there is no physical violence or stealing they aren't technically doing anything wrong.

as long as there is no physical violence or stealing they aren't technically doing anything wrong.
Well...:
these girls are thieves. I witnessed one going through the pack of an older pilgrim as another kept her attention with her 'petition'...they took her medications and a small purse. I also was immediately following a group young Korean walkers who told me that when they were getting a few coins from their purse, one 'deaf girl' took his entire wallet and ran into the woods.
So what I wonder is why this continues.
Obviously the police can't do much by arresting the girls because they will just be replaced.
But what about the people who are behind this?

Partly it may have to do with no-one doing anything if they are ripped off.
@KJFSophie , did these people report the thefts and attempted thefts?
Like anything, unless we bother to report crimes, nothing will change.

Please use the word "mute" when describing the scammers.
The use of "dumb" to describe the inability to speak is highly offensive to deaf people.
Thanks.

Thank you for catching this. Let me add that the term "Mute" is also offensive. I've been a professional sign language interpreter for 29 years. Trust me when I tell you that Deaf people are not mute! The correct term is "Deaf" . Just one word, no other descriptors.

This scam irritates me to the core of my being. On my last camino in 2014 I started to sign to the scammers....they ran off! They couldn't use sign language if their lives depended on it. In Deaf culture, if someone is able to sign, time stands still. Conversation ensues. I've met Deaf people around the world on my travels and I assure you that is a part of Deaf culture that is universal. Sign Language itself is not universal but the willingness to stop and find a way to converse is definitely universal.

Sandi

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sign Language itself is not universal but the willingness to stop and find a way to converse is definitely universal.
Thank you Sandi!
An aside...
One of the most delightful memories of that crowded section of the Frances after Sarria was of walking the same stages as a group of deaf students from Ireland. They were delightful, and signing up a storm - obviously having the time of their lives. At the pilgrim's mass they had the seats of honour near the altar - for good reason. It was such a gift to be around them. And those of us who could not sign? Smiles and gestures were all we had, but that was still wonderful.

Well...:

So what I wonder is why this continues.
Obviously the police can't do much by arresting the girls because they will just be replaced.
But what about the people who are behind this?

Partly it may have to do with no-one doing anything if they are ripped off.
@KJFSophie , did these people report the thefts and attempted thefts?
Like anything, unless we bother to report crimes, nothing will change.
I agree, if they steal they should be reported.

Not online much while I’m doing the thing.. but did want to say I saw them this very day past Barbadelo, about 5k on from Sarria.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notic...acion-blindar-catedral/0003_201806S9C1995.htm

SANTIAGO / LA VOZ 09/06/2018 23:53 H

The new Response Operative Group (GOR) that the Santiago police station has created to reinforce security in the historic center has already been deployed and has launched their operation to protect the areas around the Cathedral and to increase the security of both tourists and businesses in this area. Both are of vital importance for the economy of Compostela.

The GOR is composed of eleven agents of the National Police who, in addition to patrolling on foot, are equipped with motorcycles to facilitate their mobility through the pedestrian streets of the historic center of Santiago. Their presence was noticeable during the past week, when they have permanently combed the surroundings of the Cathedral to prevent possible crimes.

One of the tasks in which they are engaged is to prevent inhabitants and, above all, visitors, from falling into the trap of organized networks, usually of Romanian nationals, who are dedicated to scamming pedestrians by requesting a signature and financial support for an association of disabled people that does not exist in reality.

Also among the primary objectives of the GOR is the fight against pickpockets [...].

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back