A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Scenery on the Invierno

Camino(s) past & future
Walked el Camino Frances in 2003. Did the Primitivo in August 13 and Ruta lebaniega in July 14. Summer 2016 - Camino del Salvador.
One day: Ruta de la Plata into the Sanabres, maybe part of the Norte, and perhaps the Olvidado.
Hi everyone
I see a lot of people recommending the Invierno. What is the scenery like? From the photos I have seen , it isn’t as attractive as the Primitivo or Salvador but maybe I’ve not seen the good photos? Can anyone advise?
Tia
Andrew

Advertisment

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances: 2013, 2014
Madrid: 2016
Portuguese: 2015, 2017
Invierno: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 to 2017
I am in Lalin, having started in Ponferrada. The Invierno is IMHO the most scenic Camino I have yet done; to include the Frances, Portuguese and Madrid.

There is a price to pay for the beauty, however. This route has lots of climbs and descents. There are relatively few pilgrims, I saw three in a week.

My favorite part are the steeply terraced, Roman-era vineyards that are still producing in the Ribiera Sacra wine-making region. The descent into and climb out of Belesar made the first day out of Saint Jean Pied de Port on the Frances look like a stroll in the park...just sayin...

Hope this helps.

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
'Portuguese' ' Frances' ' Norte' 'Salvador_prim' ‘le puy’ ‘Inglés’ ‘CDM’ ‘Invierno’ ‘Fin_Mux’
Often photos just can’t pick up the beauty that the eye can see. Only 10 for you as that’s the limit I can load
Some of my pics (files were too large ! )
I walked completely sola from 6/4/18 to 17/4/18 and had cold wet weather but I wouldn’t change a thing.

Annie

Attachments

Camino(s) past & future
Walked el Camino Frances in 2003. Did the Primitivo in August 13 and Ruta lebaniega in July 14. Summer 2016 - Camino del Salvador.
One day: Ruta de la Plata into the Sanabres, maybe part of the Norte, and perhaps the Olvidado.
I am in Lalin, having started in Ponferrada. The Invierno is IMHO the most scenic Camino I have yet done; to include the Frances, Portuguese and Madrid.

There is a price to pay for the beauty, however. This route has lots of climbs and descents. There are relatively few pilgrims, I saw three in a week.

My favorite part are the steeply terraced, Roman-era vineyards that are still producing in the Ribiera Sacra wine-making region. The descent into and climb out of Belesar made the first day out of Saint Jean Pied de Port on the Frances look like a stroll in the park...just sayin...

Hope this helps.
Often photos just can’t pick up the beauty that the eye can see. Only 10 for you as that’s the limit I can load
I walked completely sola from 6/4/18 to 17/4/18 and had cold wet weather but I wouldn’t change a thing.

Annie
Many thanks Annie. Really impressive photos. I live in Thailand so it "shocks" me a bit to see how wintry it looks in April still! :). I did not expect those big hills in Galicia. If you read Spanish there is an Award winning Spanish novel from 2016 set in Ribeira Sacra, which really evokes the atmosphere there (Dolores Redondo, Todo esto te dare).

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future

Annie
Thanks so much for sharing these

Camino(s) past & future
May 2016, Astorga to Fisterra
Sept 2018, SJPDP to Fisterra
Hi experienced Invierno walkers
Thanks for your posts and pictures! :) I'm planning my second camino this September, finally a full trip from SJPdP to Fisterra (my first was Astorga to Fisterra) and am super excited to get going again. I'm very inspired from this forum to consider the Invierto route as an alternative, considering I already walked the Ponferrada-SdC part of the CF previously. However, the choice will be made once arriving in Ponferrada as I understand from this thread and others that Invierto is more tough and up/down than CF.
I'm curious as to how much longer Invierto takes, considering the 40km additional length but extra climbs and descents? And where did you find information about albergues, towns/shops etc along the way?
All the best to all of you, and thanks in advance for your advice.
Best,
Chris

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances: 2013, 2014
Madrid: 2016
Portuguese: 2015, 2017
Invierno: 2018
Voluntario: 2014 to 2017
The newest CSJ guide revision suggests itineraries from 9 to 12 days. The overall distance, including the last 50 - 60 Km on the Sanabres (northern extension of the VdLP) into Santiago from a Laxe / Lalin is about 258 - 260 Km.

In my experience this year, struggling to accomplish this steep route in 10-days, it occurred to me that the 12-day estimate is likely more reasonable for most folks. Then again, I am not descended from a long line of mountain goats...less is more.

This route is so scenic that you will likely not mind the extra days. Relax, enjoy the views.

Hope this helps.

peregrina2000

Staff member
Donating Member
And where did you find information about albergues, towns/shops etc along the way?
Hi, Christian,
In my maybe not so humble opinion, I think the forum guide in the resources section is a pretty good place to start. We do a revision every year and hope that this year's Invierno pilgrims who use the guide will help us out with next year's updates!

You can find the guide here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/invierno-forum-guide.535/

Enjoy the Invierno, it is a gem!

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 5 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 22 4.7%
  • April

Votes: 76 16.1%
  • May

Votes: 130 27.5%
  • June