Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Scenery on the Invierno

Aglass

Andrew
Time of past OR future Camino
Walked el Camino Frances in 2003. Did the Primitivo in August 13 and Ruta lebaniega in July 14. Summer 2016 - Camino del Salvador.
One day: Ruta de la Plata into the Sanabres, maybe part of the Norte, and perhaps the Olvidado.
Hi everyone
I see a lot of people recommending the Invierno. What is the scenery like? From the photos I have seen , it isn’t as attractive as the Primitivo or Salvador but maybe I’ve not seen the good photos? Can anyone advise?
Tia
Andrew

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am in Lalin, having started in Ponferrada. The Invierno is IMHO the most scenic Camino I have yet done; to include the Frances, Portuguese and Madrid.

There is a price to pay for the beauty, however. This route has lots of climbs and descents. There are relatively few pilgrims, I saw three in a week.

My favorite part are the steeply terraced, Roman-era vineyards that are still producing in the Ribiera Sacra wine-making region. The descent into and climb out of Belesar made the first day out of Saint Jean Pied de Port on the Frances look like a stroll in the park...just sayin...

Hope this helps.

Often photos just can’t pick up the beauty that the eye can see. Only 10 for you as that’s the limit I can load
Some of my pics (files were too large ! )
I walked completely sola from 6/4/18 to 17/4/18 and had cold wet weather but I wouldn’t change a thing.

Annie

Attachments

• 64823B74-0D6C-44BD-9A1E-C3E4F3E33354.jpeg
    64823B74-0D6C-44BD-9A1E-C3E4F3E33354.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 82
  • EC676228-9566-40AA-B85E-A4056C93D5FA.jpeg
    EC676228-9566-40AA-B85E-A4056C93D5FA.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 81
  • 81A1561D-2AAE-4951-B7B1-D10D0A13476E.jpeg
    81A1561D-2AAE-4951-B7B1-D10D0A13476E.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 77
  • 9D9FCBF2-DD9F-4B4E-9DF3-16B55F31A2BB.jpeg
    9D9FCBF2-DD9F-4B4E-9DF3-16B55F31A2BB.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 76
  • 29DA63D2-C3A7-49A0-A393-6358BC0E62B8.jpeg
    29DA63D2-C3A7-49A0-A393-6358BC0E62B8.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 74
  • B7731706-F5E2-4E68-A39B-622D4BECD855.jpeg
    B7731706-F5E2-4E68-A39B-622D4BECD855.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 73
  • D2D71909-F6F3-4A39-B880-71CFBACB6A6A.jpeg
    D2D71909-F6F3-4A39-B880-71CFBACB6A6A.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 71
  • 80944E07-39FA-446C-B8D0-CC16DDFEF9A2.jpeg
    80944E07-39FA-446C-B8D0-CC16DDFEF9A2.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 66
  • 29188F9C-8605-4AE6-BDAE-7C9B01DA9CF9.jpeg
    29188F9C-8605-4AE6-BDAE-7C9B01DA9CF9.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 68
  • 415C350D-70A8-4E30-8829-B7E6BABF3B3C.jpeg
    415C350D-70A8-4E30-8829-B7E6BABF3B3C.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 68
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am in Lalin, having started in Ponferrada. The Invierno is IMHO the most scenic Camino I have yet done; to include the Frances, Portuguese and Madrid.

There is a price to pay for the beauty, however. This route has lots of climbs and descents. There are relatively few pilgrims, I saw three in a week.

My favorite part are the steeply terraced, Roman-era vineyards that are still producing in the Ribiera Sacra wine-making region. The descent into and climb out of Belesar made the first day out of Saint Jean Pied de Port on the Frances look like a stroll in the park...just sayin...

Hope this helps.
Often photos just can’t pick up the beauty that the eye can see. Only 10 for you as that’s the limit I can load
I walked completely sola from 6/4/18 to 17/4/18 and had cold wet weather but I wouldn’t change a thing.

Annie

Many thanks Annie. Really impressive photos. I live in Thailand so it "shocks" me a bit to see how wintry it looks in April still! :). I did not expect those big hills in Galicia. If you read Spanish there is an Award winning Spanish novel from 2016 set in Ribeira Sacra, which really evokes the atmosphere there (Dolores Redondo, Todo esto te dare).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Annie
Thanks so much for sharing these

Hi experienced Invierno walkers
Thanks for your posts and pictures! :) I'm planning my second camino this September, finally a full trip from SJPdP to Fisterra (my first was Astorga to Fisterra) and am super excited to get going again. I'm very inspired from this forum to consider the Invierto route as an alternative, considering I already walked the Ponferrada-SdC part of the CF previously. However, the choice will be made once arriving in Ponferrada as I understand from this thread and others that Invierto is more tough and up/down than CF.
I'm curious as to how much longer Invierto takes, considering the 40km additional length but extra climbs and descents? And where did you find information about albergues, towns/shops etc along the way?
All the best to all of you, and thanks in advance for your advice.
Best,
Chris

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The newest CSJ guide revision suggests itineraries from 9 to 12 days. The overall distance, including the last 50 - 60 Km on the Sanabres (northern extension of the VdLP) into Santiago from a Laxe / Lalin is about 258 - 260 Km.

In my experience this year, struggling to accomplish this steep route in 10-days, it occurred to me that the 12-day estimate is likely more reasonable for most folks. Then again, I am not descended from a long line of mountain goats...less is more.

This route is so scenic that you will likely not mind the extra days. Relax, enjoy the views.

Hope this helps.

And where did you find information about albergues, towns/shops etc along the way?
Hi, Christian,
In my maybe not so humble opinion, I think the forum guide in the resources section is a pretty good place to start. We do a revision every year and hope that this year's Invierno pilgrims who use the guide will help us out with next year's updates!

You can find the guide here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/invierno-forum-guide.535/

Enjoy the Invierno, it is a gem!

Christian, I am on the way now, with a planned ahead reststop in Monforte de Lemos. I have managed well with the forum guide and the posts in this forum up to now and I guess so on the next days too. I sometimes use www.gronze.com too, but not while walking. Bought the wisepilgrim app for this camino, but except for the maps it does not give more information than the pdfguide here. I prefer the maps.me for maps. Wifi is weak or not working most places, so I am glad I took a print of it before leaving.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The newest CSJ guide revision suggests itineraries from 9 to 12 days. The overall distance, including the last 50 - 60 Km on the Sanabres (northern extension of the VdLP) into Santiago from a Laxe / Lalin is about 258 - 260 Km.

In my experience this year, struggling to accomplish this steep route in 10-days, it occurred to me that the 12-day estimate is likely more reasonable for most folks. Then again, I am not descended from a long line of mountain goats...less is more.

This route is so scenic that you will likely not mind the extra days. Relax, enjoy the views.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Hi, Christian,
In my maybe not so humble opinion, I think the forum guide in the resources section is a pretty good place to start. We do a revision every year and hope that this year's Invierno pilgrims who use the guide will help us out with next year's updates!

You can find the guide here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/invierno-forum-guide.535/

Amazing, that is exactly what I was looking for. What a resource. I certainly hope I'll be able to do the invierno this year.
Btw, for those relying on maps on their phones (nice to have your location on the route as you go) there are a few apps , e.g. Invierno by Wise Pilgrim on app store. Not at all as comprehensive as the guide provided here but supplements are always good.

Thanks!

Christian, I am on the way now, with a planned ahead reststop in Monforte de Lemos. I have managed well with the forum guide and the posts in this forum up to now and I guess so on the next days too. I sometimes use www.gronze.com too, but not while walking. Bought the wisepilgrim app for this camino, but except for the maps it does not give more information than the pdfguide here. I prefer the maps.me for maps. Wifi is weak or not working most places, so I am glad I took a print of it before leaving.

Thanks for the advise, also on the app. Hope you'll have a wonderful experience!! All the best, Chris

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, Christian,

Dear peregrina2000
I just finished the Invierno and what a wonderful experience that was!! Thank you for the guide which was extremely useful. I also highly recommend the app by wise pilgrim/wisely with offline map and GPS, very helpful although the invierno is indeed well marked. I'm baffled that I only met two (2!) other pilgrims in the 8 days on the Invierno.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back