• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Scenic route from Villafranca

jalluisi

Time of past OR future Camino
Leon to Santiago Oct. 2021, PS 10/22,
PS-10/2023
I wanted to share some pictures from the scenic route we took from Villafranca del Bierzo. The path leaving Villafranca is steep. It was worth the climb! The hike took longer than expected as the path takes you to Pradela too. We ate breakfast in an Albergue there. It was delicious. We had beautiful weather. We had a wonderful journey for our first camino. We are planning something for next year. Miss it!

Attachments

• 20211008_082434.jpg
    20211008_082434.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 267
  • 20211008_082918.jpg
    20211008_082918.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 224
  • 20211008_084713.jpg
    20211008_084713.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 187
  • 20211008_084756.jpg
    20211008_084756.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 170
  • 20211008_091608.jpg
    20211008_091608.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 163
  • 20211008_105704.jpg
    20211008_105704.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 171
  • 20211008_105549.jpg
    20211008_105549.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 173
  • 20211008_103523.jpg
    20211008_103523.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 177
  • 20211008_110350.jpg
    20211008_110350.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 226
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I remember it well, a hot day, the scent of cystus like incense, the cool of the chestnut forest just before dropping steeply into the valley and an incomprehensible conversation with a farmer, he no English me no Spanish but much smiling and waving of arms.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
We liked this variant also. Take extra water.

Right after crossing the bridge leaving town head uphill on Calle Pradela, the ramp in the picture below.
Screenshot_20211102-075628-01.jpeg

The path leaving Villafranca is steep. It was worth the climb!
Steep indeed. But you get a good view of Villafranca.
Q23100-HOR.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Probably 10 years ago my husband took the third - the most dangerous route and was bitten by a dog. In one of the villages there were a lot of dogs following and threatening him but no people to save him. Then in the next village there were some big dogs again but a man called them back. After the next village my husband gave up and somehow lowered himself to the highway. :O :O :O This route is not recommanded for everybody.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Watch for the old chestnut plantations on the way, with beautiful gnarled trees. At this time of the year you can still find some edible chestnuts on the ground.

Thanks, I didn't know there were two options.
Actually three options (I gather) ...
  1. The 'conventional' route along the floor of the valley, walking beside a major highway
  2. The Pradela (described above) - turn right up a steep path just after the bridge over the river.
  3. The Dragonate (to the left of the conventional route), and reportedly very steep and hard walking but spectacular.
I walked the conventional route in 2017 as my wife was having some leg problems and we were mindful of the rapidly approaching O Cebreiro climb (but, to paraphrase Peggy Lee, we both asked 'was that all there is?' after we reached to top). I walked the Pradela solo in 2018 and that was the hardest day's walking in either Camino - superb views but hard...

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@LesR the "conventional route" is much better since the opening of the motorway - I now see the "highway" as a minor road.

Anyone considering the Dragonte needs to research it carefully. Experienced pilgrims have gone astray on that route. For anyone interested there is a Facebook group "Friends of Dragonte" with updated reports.

Probably 10 years ago my husband took the third - the most dangerous route and was bitten by a dog. In one of the villages there were a lot of dogs following and threatening him but no people to save him. Then in the next village there were some big dogs again but a man called them back. After the next village my husband gave up and somehow lowered himself to the highway. :O :O :O This route is not recommanded for everybody.

And I know of another pilgrim who was also bitten by a dog on the Dragonte. A long time ago and it is now more used, but I don't think the locals are yet used to pilgrims and nor are the dogs.

I wanted to share some pictures from the scenic route we took from Villafranca del Bierzo. The path leaving Villafranca is steep. It was worth the climb! The hike took longer than expected as the path takes you to Pradela too. We ate breakfast in an Albergue there. It was delicious. We had beautiful weather. We had a wonderful journey for our first camino. We are planning something for next year. Miss it!
I loved your photos, oh how I miss walking the Camino ways 💜

My brother and I also did the same scenic route in 2013. Here's a link to the YouTube video I posted of the views. Enjoy.

It has been almost 5 years but it is funny looking back that I remember this route as one of the toughest days(worth it for the views!)along with the descent into Molinaseca. Did Villafranca to La Laguna. I often wonder if this is simply because the first day on the pyrnees was so far behind me at this point of it is truly a bit tougher.

Anyone considering the Dragonte needs to research it carefully. Experienced pilgrims have gone astray on that route. For anyone interested there is a Facebook group "Friends of Dragonte" with updated reports.
I agree the Dragonte needs to be carefully researched, but I have read on this forum that it has been waymarked much better in the last couple of years, so hopefully no longer getting lost for those who decide to tackle this alternative route.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.