Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Scent of the Camino

FRM

How do you walk the Camino? One step at a time.
Camino(s) past & future
O'Cebreiro to Santiago (2014)
Pamplona to Sahagun (March 2019)
Sahagun to O’Cebreiro (March 2020)
I have a number of items that I only use while on the Camino. My little microfiber towel which is a bit to small to completely dry my 6 foot 4 inch frame, a buff that has been with me the 3 times I’ve walked, Dr. Bronner’s lavender scented bar soap. I purchased a bar of Dr. Bronner’s a few days ago and just used it. The scent immediately brought a flood of happy memories from the Camino. In fact I had To resist the urge to wash all of my clothes in the kitchen sink. Sometimes all it takes Is a familiar scent to take you away.......
Best,
frm

Bob from L.A. !

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Camino Norte 2018. Many more to come in my future God willing !
It is amazing how so many of us (me included) take our senses for granted. In everyday life we use our sight and hearing almost exclusively, but neglect or even think of our sense of touch and smell.
Growing up I lived with my Italian grandmother, who had several large fig trees in her backyard. These trees flourished yearly with both green and purple figs which would burst when ripe, giving off a great aroma.
During my first Camino I was walking on an early cold morning under a canopy of trees when I smelled the scent of ripe figs. I eventually walked past the trees and visually identified them. The scent of these figs brought me back to being a young child running around her backyard.

Last edited:

Advertisement

Booking.com