• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Scheduling too much?

francie503

Okay I've done the math for the Camino Frances and decided on the following:

The Camino is approximately 500 miles so if I want to finish the way in 30 days I will have to walk at least 17 miles a day. I've been "training" and considering the amount of hours a day I will be walking I'm guessing I can walk 3 miles in 1 hour. Is 3 miles per hour realistic?

If I start at 7 am and walk until 3pm this will give me enough time to have a 1 hour lunch, 5.5 hours of walking and still have 1.5 hours for rest stops, laundry, longer lunch or maybe even end the walking at 2 pm.

Okay all you veteran Camino pilgrims....is this reasonable? I don't want to make this pilgrimage a mechanical journey but I want to be sensible and realistic as to how much walking per day is involved. I'm guessing depending on the distance between towns I would be walking more on some days...less on others.

To sustain this pace for 30 days is somewhat an overwhelming thought. Did anyone take off Sundays for rest?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
francie503 said:
I'm guessing I can walk 3 miles in 1 hour. Is 3 miles per hour realistic?

Hi Francie503 :) As a newbie, I've done similar calculations. Practice walks no pack..easy 18-20 minute miles. Backpack fully loaded for my Camino on flat terrain my average went to about 22-23 minutes...and this was "knowing where I was going". On a recent State Park (hilly) hike with my Camino pack my mph took a drastic drop. I probably averaged a 30 minute mile...but then I had to stop and listen to the sounds, look at the colorful mushrooms and wait while a baby cub crossed the path. I also watched in a daze as huge moose ambled across and back into the woods. I stood in shock and then was overcome with sheer joy of seeing wildlife that day to day is lost to me in the hustle and bustle of my life.

From what all the veterans say on this lovely forum...I plan on taking it nice and easy the first week. I'll let my body do the talking and the feet the walking and pray that the brain listens to the advice of both. And if the brain doesn't pay heed...I'll not have to worry about miles per hour :( but bus stop to bus stop..not a pretty thought. There will be no speedometer on my Camino!
Buen Camino! Happy feet and happy trails to you! -Lynette

Hi Francie,

I recently returned from walking a section of the Via de la Plata over about 2 weeks.
I estimated my times based on approx 3 miles per hour, and that is what my actual walking speed was, with a pack weighing approx 8 kg (including water and food!)

Average distances per day were 30 km (or 19 miles). My longest day was a 40 km (25 mile) walk and my shortest day was 24 km (15 miles)
Often I would start walking at 5.30 with a head-torch and always arrived at my destination between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
I did tend to walk faster than many people, and suspect 2.5 mph might be more of an average for Camino walkers.

I didn't have a rest day except at Santiago and when I reached Finisterre.

I am fairly fit and had trained quite hard, and on many days exceeded the 3 mph time.
I found that many people on the Via de la Plata did not stop and take many breaks, and would wait for the scattered villages and bars to have a real 20-30 minute break and tea/food.
This was also my experience when I waled from Seville to Merida in April, although it might be because the Via de la Plata is a less-well known route and is considered more arduous so walked bu fitter walkers (perhaps??)

Anyway, in a nutshell I think 3 mph is achievable but it required fitness and is not for everyone!

Good Luck!
Rachel

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The distance you can comfortably walk each day is not 'constant'. The thing that can affect it the most is the terrain you are covering. Some days are uphill/downhill and more strenuous, while other days are flatter and on easy paths. Weather can also play a part. And for no apparent reason, some days you feel like you can 'fly' while other days it feels like you have lead boots on.

Some people finish in 30 days quite easily, but I am not as fast as that....
Margaret

Shalom Francie and Greetings from Jerusalem
Schedules are a good thing for many people, alas,I have always thought of such a thing as something to be broken. The Camino is indeed 500 miles +-. One can easily achieve 2.5-3 miles an hour pace in many parts, allowance must be given for places like Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, even Astorga places which one shouldn't just rush through. Then there are those unknown or unexpected places which you simply fall in love with and cannot possibly be left in your shadow, say Puenta La Reina, or the Santa Maria church at Villasirga, Carrion de los Condes, and San Zollo, a package deal, or a side trip to say San Millán de la Cogolla, you will meet many interesting and lovely people who will become lifelong friends but who may walk slower, or your own feet maybetray you and blisters slowyou down to 2 milesan hour. Santiago is your destination however the Camino is the real joy.Check the private messagde I will be sending you.

and those days that you feel like you are 'flying' you don't want to stop so you keep walking past your original destination. On 'flying' days I usually walked until about 6.00pm.

Sometimes you walk alone and in company at other times. Naturally enough, this affects the speed at which you walk.

Simply put, it's best not to think about the speed. Just set out in the morning, walk at whatever rate feels appropriate at the time (it will change throughout the day) and arrive when you're there. Where? Doesn't matter, you'll know if it feels right for you to stop.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hola Francie

I understand your calculations but in my experience it doesn´t work like that. No statsitics are kept but we have the feeling here in the Pilgrims´Office in Santiago that most pilgrims walk "around" 30 days from St Jean to Santiago. Many, many pilgrims report that they arrived more quickly than they thought at the outset. That is also my experience of walking long distance routes. Others have given their experience:

Not every day is the same so average milages don´t really apply in reality
Some days you feel like walking more, other days less
Stamina builds over time and you tend to walk slightly faster and on occassions considerably longer
The terrain has considerable bearing - there are long, flat sections where you might walk more kms than sections where there are elevations

I´d predict you would arrive comfortably in 30 days if that is your wish but I´d also advise, like others, that you get started and see how it goes.

Buen camino

John

Because my walking companions (daughter and son-in-law) had a limited amount of time for last May's Camino we had to do several 18 to 20 mile days in fairly challenging Galicia terrain. Although this was certainly doable...it was not pleasant. I much preferred our more leisurely 12 to 15 mile days that provided the opportunity to 'visit' our environment.

The distance from SJPdP to Santiago is more like 460 miles than 500, a three day walking difference. You say in another post that you are 61 years old, and have been fatigued already in your training regime. I suspect that your walking speed adjusted for pack, terrain, and weather will not be 3 miles per hour (5 kph). I have put my head down and concentrated on moving quickly on the flat meseta and measured 12 minute kilometers where there are reliable distance markers. I admit to being the slowest walker on the Camino. Three miles per hour (5 kph) is as fast as I can make my feet move. With breaks I start each day expecting to cover 2 miles per hour. That is six hours of walking for my average 12 mile (20 km) day. I can do more, but often want to do less! At the end of the day, when I ponder moving further down the road, I remember that 6 km is another two hours of walking for me, so I assess if my legs have another two hours in them.

I have met MANY Europeans who walk comfortably at 6 kph. They have lived their lives walking to train stations and buses, not taking the car to the market that is a half-mile away. A different lifestyle has put them in a different fitness category than I am in. I admire them, but cannot imitate them.

Whatever numbers you decide fit you, you will repeat them daily for thirty days. It is likely to be harder than you imagine. Life often is! :D :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
julie said:
Simply put, it's best not to think about the speed. Just set out in the morning, walk at whatever rate feels appropriate at the time (it will change throughout the day) and arrive when you're there.

Perfectly said, Julie. I leave on Monday and have been trying (a bit) to plan, knowing that age (68) and condition (generally fit b/c of 16 months of YMCA classes & workouts, but just some training) will decide for me. "Arrive when you're there" suits me just fine. :)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
This is entirely personal, but, if I'm on the track and enjoying things, I don't care if I finish. Really, I just don't care. To walk across a chunk of Spain or France as a pilgrim is my goal. The size of the chunk does not matter. Not at all.

I stopped in Pamplona after starting in Le Puy. Then, the following year, I went back to Pamplona and walked on. I ended up in Santiago, then Tui, then Santiago, then Fisterra. It was wonderful.

When I do another Camino (Arles?), if time is short or if I have a physical problem, I'll just stop. Then I'll do something else. With luck and Saint James, I may be able to resume at a later date. Who knows?

This attitude won't serve all, and I'd be scared of living in a world run by people like me. So, it's just an alternative approach for the less focused.

Best

Rob

Looking at the totals the way you have is just a bit deceptive. For example, the distance from SJPP to SDC is generally regarded as 800km. But I know that I walked over 900km. Some of it getting a bit lost, a bit walking away from the Camino, some exploring, a bit on slightly longer options than the most direct route, back tracking for a coffee, etc, etc.

In addition, you don't seem to have factored in that the route from SJPP to SDC involves about 10000m of climb, most of if in a few places like crossing the Pyrenees, but there is always going to be a little bit each day.

All that might mean that you are doing the equivalent of somewhere between 900 to 1000km or more. To meet an average of 30-33km/day equivalent will mean doing some bigger days abut half the time. How much bigger will be determined, at least in part, by where you choose to start and stay. You might be able to make up the average with a few extra km, or face the prospect of a marathon day from time to time just because of the distances between albergues or other accommodation options. That's the challenge you face, not the 27km a day you need to do as an average lateral distance for a 30 day walk.

You don't indicate whether you are considering taking rest days. 30 days straight walking is a tough ask on your body. I walked 33 days pretty straight on the Camino in 2010, but part of that was taking a half day at Castrojeriz when I twisted my knee coming from San Bol. Having a bit of reserve for that sort of thing will take some pressure off, even if you don't have to use it and get to SDC a day or so early as a result. I recently did St Olav's Way in 30 days of walking, but took two rest days along the way, and didn't have to use my reserve day. I would recommend doing that if you have the time.

Whether you can maintain 5kph (3mph) will depend on your own fitness and stamina. I targeted 4.5kph on the flat, walked about 2 hours at time before having a break for coffee or lunch, and normally did that three times a day (four on a few days). I adapted the pattern to where villages (and associated bars/cafes) were located. Not quite as fast as you plan to walk, but as a pattern, it is achievable.

Whatever you decide, all the best for your Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'd say 3 mph is too ambitious. I'm quite fit -- do lots of long-distance running on trails and roads -- and I was shocked to average just 2.5 mph on the VDLP. That was stopping a fair amount to take notes or photos (I was creating a guide to the route), but I also was carrying only a light day pack. This June I hiked 5 days on the Wales Coast Path. I had another light pack, but this time I wasn't making a guide and was walking for fun. Guess what? I still averaged about 2.5 mph.

The reasons? As people have said, the terrain, weather and your body all have an impact, but for me I found that it's more because: a) I like to stop and take photos; b) I like to stop and chat with people along the way; c) I like to take extra time to look around the towns I'm passing through; d) I occasionally get lost; e) I always find something unexpected to explore.

In any event, if you walk more slowly, you'll just get into town a little later than planned. That's not such a bad thing.

Melanie

Thank you ALL so much for the replies.

I've decided to calculate, chart, study, and train here in the US but when I take the first step at
SJPP I will let spirit guide me.

I started reading, Women of the Camino, Embracing the Camino by Jane V. Blanchard and John Brierley's Camino de Santiago. Sorry I'm a planner!

BUT I too enjoy going off the trail when traveling, sitting in a park, visiting a church, meditating and receiving healing energy in a quiet place, getting a little lost, meeting the locals, taking a photo, chatting with others, exploring a museum. Yes some days as a pilgrim will be easier than others.

But I sense I am walking the camino now with you from Australia, New Zealand, Jerusalum, SC,and other parts of the world. I'm in no hurry to reach France/Spain, when the time is right everything will flow into fruition.

Jerusalum/Scruffy..... I will copy, carry, share the private message you sent. I'm reading again as I write some of the information mentioned...thanks all.

Those who are not yet in Spain, pilgrims who have set the date, and those pilgrims who are walking......Buen Camino!

Meredith1 said:
julie said:
Simply put, it's best not to think about the speed. Just set out in the morning, walk at whatever rate feels appropriate at the time (it will change throughout the day) and arrive when you're there.

Perfectly said, Julie. I leave on Monday and have been trying (a bit) to plan, knowing that age (68) and condition (generally fit b/c of 16 months of YMCA classes & workouts, but just some training) will decide for me. "Arrive when you're there" suits me just fine. :)

I do so agree with you Meredith and Julie and am so lucky that I have stopped working and have all the time in the world. I only booked one way an will fly back home when I have finished and enjoyed this adventure. I am 71 in very good shape after trekking in mountains for over twenty years - yeas I did not start until age of 50. Hope to meet you Margrét

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola Pilgrims,
The Camino is not a race but it is a pace and each of us finds our own. Leaving the albergues by 6AM should leave one with enough time to walk between 20 and 25 miles a day, stopping to smell the roses and shake hands with and hug villagers along the way, they enjoy this and you will as well. At the end of the day you will have time to share with fellow pilgrims, they are what makes the Camino such a special journey. If you are lucky enough and I was, I found pilgrims that I shared many days with: requirements; #1: common pace, #2 ability to overcome language barriers,#3 do you like the person. I walked from SJPdP to SdC from Sept.23-Oct.19,2011, every day perfect wether until the day I reached Santigo, cold rain that cleared up by 2PM. I was truly blessed by St. James, I have great friendships and memories that I continue to share with fellow pilgrims almost daily. Make sure you get email address along the way, you will bond with strangers that in time become your family.
Buen Camino,
Vincent

As a planner you will love "The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago" by David Gitlitz and Linda Kay Davidson
No maps, no recommended restaurants, no beautiful albergues are to be found, however, for an excellent description of the churches, museums, important architecture, towns, villages, monasteries, history, and explanations of what you will be seeing this is the best book around. It will also solve the pressing problems as, “Should I wait around for another hour for this to open and go see the place or should I walk on?” Buy it used from any of the sellers at http://www.abebooks.com/

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
scruffy1 said:
As a planner you will love "The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago" by David Gitlitz and Linda Kay Davidson
Thanks for the tip. Now on my Kindle :D

Thank you Scruffy for the book tip. I wasn't planning on purchasing another book but this I may indeed download for Kindle. I am not "planning" on carrying ANY books on the camino.
My feeling is if I'm at a destination and something looks interesting or I recall something I read, I will explore.
Thanks so much
Francine

BTW if anyone is currently on the Camino (or not) and wants to receive healing light I will be sending this weekend. I am attuned in the practice of Reiki. Please let me know.
Better yet if you state an intention wherever you are that you want to receive, I will include you.

Peace Light and Buen Camino
Francine

Francie Shalom

I can only repeat myself concerning"The Road to Santiago" and Kindle is a good solution, the book is big,its heavy and cumbersome and I have carried it three times the whole length until Santiago and would not consider leaving it at home even now for my fourth walk next Spring. Did you receive the poem I sent you as private message?

Scruffy

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.