• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Schengen Requirement to show €100 per day upon entry to Spain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zordmot

3rd CF in May 2022
Time of past OR future Camino
April-May 2022
This news release states that to gain entry to Spain from a non-Schengen country you must now prove that you have €100 available for each day that you intend to be in Spain.

I wonder what has been your experience with this law.

That would mean for example that if you are flying to Madrid from outside of Europe and you intend to be in Spain for 40 days for walking the CF you must prove that you have €4000 if you don’t have proof of nightly accommodations already reserved and paid for.

Maybe I’m reading this wrong.

I’m just curious if they are asking us to be carrying around that kind of cash with us or do they accept an online bank statement on a smart phone or must it be a printed and certified bank statement? This new law seems quite severe and if truly enforced will discourage many thrifty peregrinos.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That's just an article on Schengenvisainfo.com ... not worth posting if you ask me, and not worth clicking on it (only for them). They make news out of non-news. Admittedly, mostly correct, though, just blown-up to full article size.

The requirement to have sufficient means of subsistence, both for the duration of the intended stay and for the return to their country of origin has been in the Union Code on the rules governing the movement of persons across borders (Schengen Borders Code) for ages. Consolidated (full and up to date current) version is here. Some time ago I even posted a link to the table that show the minimum amount that the Schengen countries have fixed for this purpose. They adapt it from time to time.

@Zordmot, you have travelled from outside the EU to Spain in previous years, right? The next time your experience will be exactly the same as before: at border control at the Madrid airport or elsewhere, nobody will ask you whether you have €100, either in cash, in your bank account or on your credit card, for every day you spend in Spain.

Of course, I could not resist the temptation and clicked on the Schengenvisainfo article.

It caused me to have a fit of laughter: "the EUR-Lex notes", the Schengenvisinfo writer writes 😂. EUR-Lex is a database of European Union law, of EU court judgments and of an array of additional non-legal notifications. EUR-Lex does not note anything. Also, "foreigners", as the writer quotes it (correctly, btw) is not European Union legal language. So I checked.

Just as I had thought: The Spanish government has updated their reference amount and sent a notification to the European Union institutions who have now published this information in their legal gazette. Link is here: Update of reference amounts, published on 31 March 2022. It replaces Spain's earlier notification from March 2021 when the subsistence or reference amount was € 96,50 instead of now € 100.

As I said before: If none of you was asked last year whether they have € 96,50, they won't be asked whether they have € 100 this year.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The links that I posted earlier allow you to see how high Spain's reference amount was in previous years. It goes back to 2006, a year when Spain had set their reference amount to € 30.

What was the cost of a bed in an albergue, casa rural or small hotel along the Camino Frances in Spain in 2006 I wonder.

Edited to add: And although I don't know what it is exactly, the notification from the Spanish government also says that this amount of € 100 is calculated on the basis of the amount of the gross minimum interprofessional wage in Spain. Which will be in force as of 1 January 2022, and it is set at € 33.33 per day or € 1000 per month, depending on whether the wage is fixed by days or by months. It was € 965 before (more on local.es).

Last edited:
@Zordmot, the one & only time I was asked to provide evidence of funds to support myself, all I did was slap down my Mastercard, Visa card, a debit card & an ATM card on the bench & that was sufficient...I was not asked for bank statements or anything else.
I carry the debit card & ATM card as a last line of defence should something go wrong...& one trip it did! 🙄
👣 🌏

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
the one & only time I was asked to provide evidence of funds to support myself, all I did was slap down my Mastercard, Visa card, a debit card & an ATM card on the bench & that was sufficient...I was not asked for bank statements or anything else.
Was that in Madrid / Spain? Just curious.

What the bloated Schengenvisainfo article cares to mention is the fact that this legal requirement (possess € 100 for every day plus money for return journey) covers all travellers to the EU / Schengen area: those who have to apply for a visa, like nationals of South Africa or India, and those who benefit from the visa waiver program, like nationals of the USA or Australia.

Those who must apply for a visa before their trip to Spain must indeed provide proof of their financial means when they submit their visa application with the Spanish consulate in their home country.

Since I've just re-read the law in question, I wonder: Did you slap down your credit card of your own accord or did they indicate to you perhaps that the mere possession of a credit card could be enough proof for them? Because that's exactly what the law in question says. Article 6, point 4, third paragraph. 😇

Last edited:
I was asked about it a week ago, before boarding my first flight to jfk where I had a connecting flight to Madrid. They asked me for my passport, proof I had a vaccination card, then my QR code and then “do you have €96 a day to cover the number of days of your trip?” I said “yeah” and they didn’t ask me to prove it. 🤷🏼‍♀️ YMMV

I was asked about it a week ago, before boarding my first flight to jfk where I had a connecting flight to Madrid. They asked me for my passport, proof I had a vaccination card, then my QR code and then “do you have €96 a day to cover the number of days of your trip?” I said “yeah” and they didn’t ask me to prove it. 🤷🏼‍♀️ YMMV
That's a little weird that the airport staff in the USA asked you this question before your flight to Spain but thanks for sharing. Interesting to know.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I travel to Europe frequently for business from the US, including recently, and I've never been asked this question even though it's been part of the Schengen regulations for a long time, and some of my stays have been up to the Schengen limit. I'll update the post if this changes, but it just wouldn't be feasible to contact every person's credit card company or bank to make sure they have sufficient access to funds.

I do know that if you have to actually apply for a visa, then you do have to provide proof of funds as part of the application process as I've had colleagues that needed to do it.

For people who do need to apply for a visa, the requirements are here:

When I applied for my visa I had to proof that I have enough money, based on the days I will spend in Spain. So I assume I dont have to proof balances anymore..
Nothing at all has changed. You still will have to do what nationals of South Africa had to do before. Note the word "must continue" in the headline of this SIV article. There is merely a small increase, like every year, and this year it is an increase of € 3.50 for non-EU travellers to Spain who must apply for a Schengen visa.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That's a little weird that the airport staff in the USA asked you this question before your flight to Spain but thanks for sharing. Interesting to know.
I thought that it was odd when @Eve Alexandra mentioned it on her post a few days ago about arriving in Spain.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I thought that it was odd when @Eve Alexandra mentioned it on her post a few days ago about arriving in Spain.
I had not seen the comment before. I see now that there is a notice to this effect in the IATA Travel Centre database. Still odd that airport staff abroad pose such a question.

Again, this is NOT NEW.

But of course we go off on all sorts of tangents now in this thread. Also not new. 🤣

Please!!! Nobody has to carry a bank statement with them.
Especially not in Europe which embraces electronic banking much more than we do here in the US. At worst they'll ask you to log into your account to verify funds (but as I said upthread, not really feasible for the numbers coming through and staffing levels at border control so not likely).

He was making sure that Delta confirmed everything Spain requires before letting me get on my first plane. When I was waiting at JFK for the second plane they called up probably a dozen people to do what I had done before my first flight. Maybe because it’s in that IATA database they are asking?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think somewhere there's a misunderstanding - If, at the time of application for my visa, I proofed I have enough funds available, why would I be interrogated about funds at the airport?? I even got my visa for an extended period...

Say what??? LOL. OK, so if anyone actually is asked to show that they have enough Euros in cash on hand to support their 4-8 week (depending on your planned travel times) trip to Europe and for hiking the Camino - please let me know! Because unless I hear they are actually checking this - I will continue to do what I have always done. Carry my debit and credit cards. Sometimes I get my first Euros from my bank in the US, the rest of the time I will get my ALL Euros from ATMs in Europe after arrival and along the way. But seriously - if they really do make you show you have ALL of your Euros - please speak up!

I don't think anyone has ever asked me how much cash I have on hand or whether or not I have funds in my bank account. Oh... and I have absolutely no intention of spending 100 Euros a day when i am going for 7+ weeks! And will definitely NOT be carrying 5,300 Euros in cash! LMAO

I had not seen the comment before. I see now that there is a notice to this effect in the IATA Travel Centre database. Still odd that airport staff abroad pose such a question.

Again, this is NOT NEW.

But of course we go off on all sorts of tangents now in this thread. Also not new. 🤣

A perfect reminder to read a thread from the beginning...;):p

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think somewhere there's a misunderstanding - If, at the time of application for my visa, I proofed I have enough funds available, why would I be interrogated about funds at the airport?? I even got my visa for an extended period...
Indeed, you will not be interrogated at the airport, neither before departure nor after arrival. They will look at the visa sticker in your passport that you got before your departure for Spain and will say Bienvenido in España.

We are on social media. People make comments. Based on other comments they read. Some lose of all connections to reality or a knowledge base.

Frankly, when I saw the first post I wondered whether I should even bother to write something or just get popcorn and lean back and watch the spectacle of replies to the first post.

Last edited:
People who need to apply for visa may be asked for proof of their means at the time application. However, not all travellers from third countries are required to apply for a visa. If you have already applied for a visa you shouldn't need to provide additional proof at the airport.
It seems that some travellers who don't need a visa have been asked at the airport, but in most cases I expect this isn't the case.

This news release states that to gain entry to Spain from a non-Schengen country you must now prove that you have €100 available for each day that you intend to be in Spain.

That would mean for example that if you are flying to Madrid from outside of Europe and you intend to be in Spain for 40 days for walking the CF you must prove that you have €4000 if you don’t have proof of nightly accommodations already reserved and paid for.

I’m just curious if they are asking us to be carrying around that kind of cash with us or do they accept an online bank statement on a smart phone or must it be a printed and certified bank statement? This new law seems quite severe and if truly enforced will discourage many thrifty peregrinos.

we were asked to provide 3 months of bank statements when we applied for our visa. this was to prove that we had enough money available to travel. we submitted them and were granted our visa. I think this is probably a visa requirement and you don't have to show the cash on entry.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My first trip to Europe was over 50 years ago! I do not remember if I was ever asked about my financial situation, but even then I knew that I was subject to the immigration officer being confident that I could support myself during my stay and get back home again. I always knew that I might be asked about it.

I flew from Minneapolis last night to Amsterdam and then to Madrid this morning on Delta/KLM. I showed my QR code from Spain Travel Health and CDC card at the Delta check in. No one asked about money and at Barajas today no one asked for my QR code like they did last September. Sunny and delightful in Madrid this evening. Manana: train to Burgos. Buen Camino

Copied from https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/policies/schengen-borders-and-visa/schengen-area_en - European Commission - Migration and Home Affairs

Reference amounts required for the crossing of the external border fixed by national authorities

CountryMinimum amount per day and per personRemarks
Austriaon a case-by-case basis
BelgiumEUR 45 - aliens staying with a private individual
EUR 95 - aliens staying at a hotel
BulgariaEUR 50
EUR 500 - per stay
CroatiaEUR 100
EUR 50 – alien possessing a certified guarantee letter of a physical or legal entity from the Republic of Croatia, a proof of paid travel arrangement or similar document
Cypruson a case by case basis
Czech Republic• For stays not exceeding 30 days – 0,5 times the subsistence minimum (current amount – December 2020 – CZK 2 490) for each day of stay, i.e. CZK 1 245 per day;
• For stays exceeding 30 days – 15 times the subsistence minimum (current amount – December 2020 – 2 490 CZK), i.e. 37 350 CZK; this sum shall be subject to increase of double the subsistence minimum for each whole month of the intended stay in the territory, i.e. plus 4 980 CZK per each month;
• The third-country national under 18 years shall prove half the amounts mentioned above.
GermanyEUR 45
DenmarkDKK 350
EstoniaEUR 130.80
GreeceEUR 50
EUR 25 – for minors
EUR 300 - for a stay of up to 5 days
Finlandon a case-by-case basis
EUR 30
In addition to the funds, or tickets, required for the departure and accommodation during the stay
FranceEUR 65

EUR 32.50 - persons holding proof of accommodation

EUR 120 – persons holding no proof of accommodation
Where there is a hotel reservation for part of the stay, the amount required is € 65.00 for the period covered by the reservation and € 120.00 for the rest of the stay.
HungaryHUF 10 000*
IcelandISK 4000
ISK 20 000 - for each entry
ItalyEUR 269.601 to 5 days overall fixed sum
LatviaEUR 14
Liechtensteinaround CHF 100
around CHF 30 - students
(owning a valid student ID)
LithuaniaLTL 550 - alien applying to obtain a residence Permit
LTL 275 - for minors
EUR 40 - for a stay of up to 5 days
LuxembourgEUR 67
MaltaEUR 48
NetherlandsEUR 55
Norwayon a case by case basis
NOK 500 (indicative)
PolandPLN 300 for stay not exceeding 4 days
PLN 75 per day by stay exceeding 4 days
PortugalEUR 75 - for each entry
EUR 40 - for each day spent on the territory
RomaniaEUR 50, but no less then € 500 for the entire period, or equivalent
EUR 30 for third country nationals for whom the invitation procedure applies
SlovakiaEUR 56
SloveniaEUR 70
EUR 35 - for minors accompanied by their parents
SpainEUR 100
EUR 900 - minimum amount at the disposal
SwedenSEK 450
SwitzerlandCHF 100
CHF 30 - students

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Zordmot, I hope you did not mind my comments on this. Schengenvisainfo has a tendency to publish articles that alarm people where there is no reason to be alarmed. Their articles are usually not wrong but they are often merely rewrites of official press releases or other articles from other news sources without any proper journalistic research or deeper understanding of the subject matter. For example, a writer who had looked into this, and it does not require a great effort to do so, would have known that the Spanish law that is mentioned in the notification of the new reference amount, namely Order PRE/1282/2007, says right at the beginning: Foreign nationals covered by this order must prove, if required to do so by the officials charged with carrying out checks on the entry of persons into Spanish territory, that they have financial resources, in the minimum amount indicated below [...].

So far, we've not heard from a single person that he or she had been asked by a Spanish border control official to provide such proof. It is definitely not something that has been routinely done since 2007 - and that's how long this law exists already.

Last edited:
Was that in Madrid / Spain? Just curious.

Since I've just re-read the law in question, I wonder: Did you slap down your credit card of your own accord or did they indicate to you perhaps that the mere possession of a credit card could be enough proof for them? Because that's exactly what the law in question says. Article 6, point 4, third paragraph. 😇
Yes...it was while going through Immigration at Madrid-Barajas airport in 2012.
From memory (in my jet-lagged state) I was asked how long I intended to stay & what my plans were. When I answered both questions, I was then asked about funds availability. I didn't explain but rather just lined my cards up on the counter. Once the mighty Mastercard & Visa symbols materialised, they were satisfied & actually waved me off with a 'Si..si..si' as the cards kept coming! 😄
I was tired & just wanted to get through with the least amount of hassle so how far it would've gone or what they would've wanted (if anything at all) if I hadn't produced my tarjetas de crédito, I can't say. 😁
👣 🌏

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Two caminos, but no-one at the border crossing before Roncesvallesto check my small change...

Ah, my first venture into Spain the peseta still ruled and Schengen was still a starry-eyed vision of a few enthusiasts. No problem at border control but I quickly learned to put cash on the bar before asking for a drink or a meal. And to only enquire about the possibility of a bed after I’d established my credencials. I also learned to stash my cash in separate tranches scattered between socks, underwear, backpack and some few bits in accessible pockets.
I find the concept that a pilg that’s just blown €x’s on an international flight and is standing at border control in another €x’s worth of nice shiny, highly recommended, hiking gear is gonna get asked if they can cover lunch for the next 90 days. If I was belly flat on one of the sandy littorals of the costas of Andalusia with the sea water draining out of the clothes I’d worn for a month? Well then I might grope for my Amex just so they’d let me in.

I've never been asked to show anything like this, in the years of various visits to Spain and to other countries in the EU (I'm from Canada, outside the Schengen Zone for sure).

(And looking back at the list of countries, I've NEVER been asked at Portuguese immigration, probably coming in 2 or 3 times a year for the last 7 years, leaving aside the covid hiatus.

I believe, as others have said, such regulation is just in place, as something to use, if immigration officials feel that someone is coming in with thoughts of settling into the system and not leaving. They want tourists right now. They're not going to make it difficult for them to visit.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
From memory (in my jet-lagged state) I was asked how long I intended to stay & what my plans were. When I answered both questions, I was then asked about funds availability. I didn't explain but rather just lined my cards up on the counter. Once the mighty Mastercard & Visa symbols materialised, they were satisfied & actually waved me off with a 'Si..si..si' as the cards kept coming! 😄
I was tired & just wanted to get through with the least amount of hassle so how far it would've gone or what they would've wanted (if anything at all) if I hadn't produced my tarjetas de crédito, I can't say. 😁
👣 🌏
Well then, maybe I will bring an extra credit card then! Certainly better than 5,300 Euros in cash per person! haha

The airline has to find you a seat back if you are refused entry at an EU airport Hence the question.

€60,-
This is highly dubious stuff, which tends to be strictly enforced only when and if relations between one EU country and a third country have become diplomatically strained.

The only time I have seen such restrictions put into practice, it was sufficient to demonstrate sufficient resources for a period of some days after one's arrival.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I knew that this would happen, or at least I had hoped for it 🤭. When I wrote:
So far, we've not heard from a single person that he or she had been asked by a Spanish border control official to provide such proof. It is definitely not something that has been routinely done since 2007 - and that's how long this law exists already.
A forum member promptly confirmed that she had been asked by a Spanish border control official to provide such proof:

I am therefore amending my earlier comment as follows: So far, we heard only from one single person who had been asked by a Spanish border control official to provide such proof, and that was 10 years ago. It is definitely not something that has been routinely checked since 2007 - and that's how long this law exists already. ☺️

@Johan van der Hoven, no, you will not be interrogated at the airport, neither before departure nor after arrival. They will look at the visa sticker in your passport that you got before your departure for Spain and will say Bienvenido in España.

You are on social media. People make comments. Based on other comments they read. Some lose of all connections to reality or a knowledge base.

Frankly, when I saw the first post I wondered whether I should even bother to write something or just get popcorn and lean back and watch the spectacle of replies to the first post.
You misunderstood me - I made a statement, I did not asked a question. This is about my 6th application for a Schengen Visa, so I am familiar with the procedures. That will also be the reason that I got my visa now is valid for years.

You misunderstood me - I made a statement, I did not asked a question. This is about my 6th application for a Schengen Visa, so I am familiar with the procedures. That will also be the reason that I got my visa now is valid for years.
I have now changed one or two words in my earlier post. Now it is addressed to everyone. The content is still the same. Glad to hear that you have a Schengen visa for several years ☺️. At first I thought this means a long stay visa but I guess it just means that you don't have to apply for a Schengen visa for several years but it is still the 90 out of 180 days restriction business?

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I knew that this would happen, or at least I had hoped for it 🤭. When I wrote:

A forum member promptly confirmed that she had been asked by a Spanish border control official to provide such proof:

I am therefore amending my earlier comment as follows: So far, we heard only from one single person who had been asked by a Spanish border control official to provide such proof, and that was 10 years ago. It is definitely not something that has been routinely checked since 2007 - and that's how long this law exists already. ☺️
You probably didn't need to amend your entry @Kathar1na... I voluntarily provided 'proof'... & as I said in my post when asked about funds;
"I didn't explain but rather just lined my cards up on the counter....
I was tired & just wanted to get through with the least amount of hassle so how far it would've gone or what they would've wanted (if anything at all) if I hadn't produced my tarjetas de crédito, I can't say."
🤷‍♀️ 😇
👣 🌏

Oh I get now, @Tassie Kaz, they merely asked you, and perhaps it would have been enough to answer "yes"? I like the image of slapping down a Mastercard, a Visa card, a debit card & an ATM card one by one on the bench. It makes a good story to tell. Thanks for sharing. :)

Oh I get now, @Tassie Kaz, they merely asked you, and perhaps it would have been enough to answer "yes"? I like the image of slapping down a Mastercard, a Visa card, a debit card & an ATM card one by one on the bench. It makes a good story to tell. Thanks for sharing. :)
Yes, that's what I thought at the time...I don't recall feeling my entry into the country was in jeopardy if I didn't produce reams of bank statements!
I will say it felt very satisfying slapping down the plastic-fantastic...although it occurred to me later I could've damaged the strip on the back of the cards...now that would have been a pebble in the shoe of my Camino! 🤣
👣 🌏

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Not too many years ago, I carried a passport from a dodgy 3rd world country which is viewed with heavy suspicions from anywhere in the West. So I had to apply for a Schengen visa every time I visited these countries, which meant a lot of passed opportunities in my university days to go for a cheap weekend in Europe courtesy of budget flights. My University Chaplain also organised a Camino trip from Sarria-Santiago and I also had to pass.

- To apply for a visa, I had to book an appointment at least 8-12 weeks in advance for popular countries such as France, Italy, or Spain. And because my country was on the naughty list, it took another 2 weeks to process (other nationalities could get their documents back in 3-10 days).

- For tourism/visit, I had to have return flights, accommodation, and insurance booked for everyday of the trip, and they would give me a single entry visa with not a day extra either side of the travel dates. I made friends with students from my country in these countries and when they invited me (in some countries this meant they had to get specific form from the city hall, showing documents of their own residency/income/etc) I had a chance to get multiple entry visa.

- I had to show other documents such as proof of being a student, proof of employment, payslip, etc for the visa application AND carry these documents with me when travelling.

- Having a visa does not guarantee entry into the country, so I would have paper copies of anything I can think of that may have been relevant, put in a folder, and brought them with me when facing their immigration officer.

There was only 1 time I was properly interrogated, in Düsseldorf. I was also in a rush to catch the train after 12h wasted with various flight cancellations and delays, and with dying phone battery. They asked me from the purpose of my trip, how long, where I was staying, AND how much money I had with me. I thought that was a weird question cos who had cash??? Errr €50? Then I had to back these up with credit cards, debit cards, and payslip, and bank statements (not in overdraft thankfully). Like I was there for ages! But they let me through.

The only other time I encountered hostile immigration environment was at JFK when I arrived on Christmas Eve. The guy didn’t say anything or ask me to show anything, he put everything into a red folder and directed me to go to the interview room. Where I was met by a bunch of very jolly officers who couldn’t wait for Christmas. They asked me why I was there, I said I didn’t know, I was told to come. “Was it by an old man?” “Errr yes” They let me through as soon as I told them my purpose was to spend Christmas with my brother in New England. Unfortunately, this brother passed away less than a year later, I was very anxious passing through immigration as I felt I would just break down in tears if they asked me why I was there and how much money I had etc etc, but luckily they let me through just like that.

So yeah, to answer your question, immigration officer has every right to ask all these questions, it just depends on their mood. Hopefully if anyone asked why you’ve come to Spain, and you’d answer with “to do the Camino de Santiago”, they would stamp your passports and say, “Buen Camino”.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not too many years ago, I carried a passport from a dodgy 3rd world country which is viewed with heavy suspicions from anywhere in the West.
So sorry you had to go through all of that! But - I can certainly see that sometimes all of those questions are surely necessary. Especially when coming from an area that is viewed by whatever government as being more "dangerous" or maybe the better word would be "suspicious". Thankfully the US and most of Europe are on fairly good terms with each other - so I wouldn't expect that sort of interrogation when heading to Europe. (just don't put anything suspicious in your carry on or checked luggage!) I am sure our government has plenty of people they interrogate like you described when entering our country. Definitely a hardship for those travelling - especially if not prepared because you don't think it will happen to you! But at the same time - I am glad the governments do try to keep their citizens safe. I live very close to the Mexican border - so not only does a LOT of border patrol and DEA agents live in our neighborhood - but we go through checkpoints quite often with our normal daily activities. My husband always goes out of he way to thank them for all they do to keep everyone safe. He does the same when he sees soldiers or other law enforcement in uniform (we are also by an air force base and have air force and army housed there).

The EU does not regard countries as 'dodgy' or 'suspicious' or has 'bad diplomatic relations' with them when their nationals are required to apply for a Schengen visa and cannot benefit from the visa waiver program.

I don't know the details why some nationalities benefit from the exemption while others don't. One major condition is reciprocity: When a non-EU country requires nationals from any of the 27 EU countries to apply for a visa to visit that non-EU country then the EU does not exempt the nationals of that country from the obligation to apply for a visa when they want to enter the Schengen area. There are other criteria, for example the percentage of travellers who overstay in the EU and don't return, the percentage of those who don't qualify for a visa (because they don't have the financial means or the background info is negative) but who still apply and then get refused, or countries that don't cooperate in taking back their own nationals when they are ordered to leave the EU.

Here's a map: Nationals of green countries benefit from the visa waiver program and don't have to apply for a short stay visa, nationals of red and dark red countries must apply for a visa to enter and/or a transit visa. Maybe a reason why some nationalities are better represented in the Camino statistics than others?

Visa obligation.jpg

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The EU does not regard countries as 'dodgy' or 'suspicious' or has 'bad diplomatic relations' with them when their nationals are required to apply for a Schengen visa and cannot benefit from the visa waiver program.

I don't know the details why some nationalities benefit from the exemption while others don't. One major condition is reciprocity: When a non-EU country requires nationals from any of the 27 EU countries to apply for a visa to visit that non-EU country then the EU does not exempt the nationals of that country from the obligation to apply for a visa when they want to enter the Schengen area. There are other criteria, for example the percentage of travellers who overstay in the EU and don't return, the percentage of those who don't qualify for a visa (because they don't have the financial means or the background info is negative) but who still apply and then get refused, or countries that don't cooperate in taking back their own nationals when they are ordered to leave the EU.

View attachment 122295

Commonwealth SE Asian countries do enjoy more freedom of movement on short visits to Europe (not just the UK) so I think that was the historical connection.

I used to think it was to do with the presence of terrorist groups but Malaysia enjoys a lot more visa privileges than the Philippines or Indonesia.

The principle of reciprocity unfortunately only worked one-way (so it’s NOT reciprocal!) because for arrival into Indonesia, most North American/European countries for decades had a “visa on arrival” service and for the last few years (7-10y) it became visa free - simply passed through the e-gates. After COVID the rules have changed too many times.

It has always been like this since these emerging countries became independent post WWII, as citizens we depend on the diplomatic relations between our governments. For my families, it means a lot more effort, time, and money (visas don’t come cheap).

So going back to the OP, it is completely reasonable for a Schengen immigration officer to enquire about your travel plans including proof of accommodation, finances, and your return journey. I’m surprised that it comes as a surprise to some folks!

So going back to the OP, it is completely reasonable for a Schengen immigration officer to enquire about your travel plans including proof of accommodation, finances, and your return journey. I’m surprised that it comes as a surprise to some folks!
I don't know about everyone else - but for me, it isn't about being surprised they can question you, especially the questions you just mentioned (those are pretty standard questions). Of course they can ask all sorts of questions. This article just makes it sound like you need to have that 100 Euros (or foreign currency equivalent) a day in cash - which is absurd. And then there is the fact that I am not doing a touristy vacation - I am doing a pilgrimage. One in which I plan to spend less than half of the amount I am expected to have to cover my travels.

I don't know about everyone else - but for me, it isn't about being surprised they can question you, especially the questions you just mentioned (those are pretty standard questions). Of course they can ask all sorts of questions. This article just makes it sound like you need to have that 100 Euros (or foreign currency equivalent) a day in cash - which is absurd. And then there is the fact that I am not doing a touristy vacation - I am doing a pilgrimage. One in which I plan to spend less than half of the amount I am expected to have to cover my travels.
As @Kathar1na wrote
That's just an article on Schengenvisainfo.com ... not worth posting if you ask me, and not worth clicking on it (only for them). They make news out of non-news. Admittedly, mostly correct, though, just blown-up to full article size.
This Schengenvisainfo site is a click bait site.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well this is an interesting post! My personal experience, going back to May 2013 have never been asked to provide "proof of funds". Maybe looking old I was just adjudged as having money.

I’m surprised that it comes as a surprise to some folks!
The overwhelming majority of non-EU forum members have a nationality where they don't have to get a visa to travel to Spain and to other Schengen countries. They don't get asked questions about their financial situation, neither in the past nor in the future. The linked article may seem to say that change is imminent, hence the surprised reactions, but it is a wrong impression.

The only real news in the Schengenvisainfo article is this: As of now, the Schengen amount set by Spain is €100 for every day of staying in Spain as part of the Schengen area and under the Schengen Visa Code. Before that, in 2021, the amount set by Spain was €96.50 and before that it was €95.00.

You may have noticed in the table that the amount set by France is €120 per day. We had a thread last year because there was 'news' circulating in social media that UK nationals would have to pay this as they had become 'third country' nationals under EU Schengen law on 1 January 2021.

A quote from the May 2021 thread: The same misinformation and rumours have been circulating about travel between the UK and Spain in recent week, ie wrongly claiming that you need an invitation letter and so on. An article in El Pais of 28 May 2021 and in English tries to dispel such claims and to calm frayed nerves. A British Embassy spokesperson told EL PAÍS: “British nationals visiting Spain should be prepared to show proof of return or onward journey, sufficient funds for their visit and proof of accommodation, such as a hotel booking confirmation, proof of address if visiting a second home or an invitation from a host, at the border.

Same thing then as now. I wrote pretty much the same a year ago as I've written now, although I managed to express it in fewer words then. So, how many British nationals on this forum who went on Camino since 1 January 2021 had been prepared to show proof of their €95.00-100.00 daily funds? And how many were interviewed or 'interrogated' by Spanish border staff and did show such proof? None? I thought so. ☺️

I did not read through all the responses but…

if you are a tourist and come on a 90 day passport entry it is not the same as a visa. Unless you are coming from a country that requires a visa to enter the EU.

if coming from the USA you will most likely come using your passport which doesn’t have a Visa attached to it. Coming as a tourist for 90 days using your USA passport.

I feel that there is much confusion in this discussion when you start talking about Visas, which most do not need, so it does not apply to you.

When I moved from USA to Greece …
1. Had to go to Greek consulate in San Francisco and apply for a one year financially independent visa, which was good for one year. It is called a D Visa.
2. If I wanted to continue to stay in Greece — Within that one year had to go through the Greek immigration to obtain a Greek residency permit.
i had to prove at both steps that I had the funds to support myself for the length of the visa and then 2 year residency.

Previous to Greek residency permit and traveling only on my passport I have never been asked to verify financial viability.

Not being political, but I wonder if the EU and other areas might be more attentive to these obscure, little-enforced requirements with the movement of refugees around the world now.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Interesting reading - may I ask a question and hopefully someone can tell me - as a South African we have to apply for visas to visit many many countries - and that costs us a big chunk of cash but the rest of the world can come here - visit our beautiful country - and not produce a visa or pay for one. The paperwork involved in applying for a visa is almost beyond ridiculous. I have been travelling to Spain and Portugal since 2012 and the length of the visa granted differs each time. I hope someone can give me an answer. You cant ask the Embassy!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting reading - may I ask a question and hopefully someone can tell me - as a South African we have to apply for visas to visit many many countries - and that costs us a big chunk of cash but the rest of the world can come here - visit our beautiful country - and not produce a visa or pay for one. The paperwork involved in applying for a visa is almost beyond ridiculous. I have been travelling to Spain and Portugal since 2012 and the length of the visa granted differs each time. I hope someone can give me an answer. You cant ask the Embassy!!
I'm not sure what your question is, but this Wikipedia article shows which passport holders require a visa to enter South Africa.

Thank you for this invitation for a tangent, @Kathar1na ;)

December 2016 I entered Germany (Stuttgart) on my very well-used US passport and the German government agent asked if I had HEALTH INSURANCE. I was taken aback, answered yes, I may have shown him my US forces ID card that I had already volunteered, and he ushered me through. That question was definitely a surprise to me.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

This is a big nothing. In the many times and countries I’ve been in Europe, I have never been asked to prove I had any amount of money. Forget this.

When I moved from USA to Greece …
1. Had to go to Greek consulate in San Francisco and apply for a one year financially independent visa, which was good for one year. It is called a D Visa.
2. If I wanted to continue to stay in Greece — Within that one year had to go through the Greek immigration to obtain a Greek residency permit.
i had to prove at both steps that I had the funds to support myself for the length of the visa and then 2 year residency.

Previous to Greek residency permit and traveling only on my passport I have never been asked to verify financial viability.
Interesting info @Lynne (USA/Crete Greece) ...I didn't know Greece had a version of the Spanish Non Lucrative Visa (NLV).
Hmmm 🤔 ...an option to consider for my dream to live overseas! Many thanks. 🙏
I have a quick question if you don't mind...but as I'm derailing the thread 😉 I'll PM you instead!
👣 🌏

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It's absurd
Absurd is what people read that is not even in the article, for example that they must spend €100 per day. The article does not say that. The article is about a routine announcement by the Spanish government that they routinely make. Both France and Spain calculate their Schengen amounts on the basis of their minimum wages. The Spanish government had recently increased theirs, hence the increase of the Schengen reference amount for travellers to Spain with non-EU passports from previously €96.50 to now €100.

Not being political, but I wonder if the EU and other areas might be more attentive to these obscure, little-enforced requirements with the movement of refugees around the world now.
A legit assumption but that’s not the case. Spain has made an official announcement like the one described in the article many times since 2007. We just did not read about it on the forum or in social media or in the news, and very few of us, I guess, are regular readers of the EU’s Official Journal or Spain’s Boletin Oficial de España, both of them published these announcements. There will by another such announcement by Spain next year or even earlier when the next increase comes.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what your question
I guess it is about the EU’s principle of reciprocity in their visa waiver policy. Another poster had already implied that it must or should mean: if a non-EU country does not require visa for EU nationals then the EU should do the same for travellers from the non-EU country to the Schengen area but that is not how it works and what the principle means.

Such questions and discussions are futile. Know what applies to you currently and comply, that’s the way to go.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I did not read through all the responses but…
Quote from the US State Department for US passport holders:

Spain is a party to the Schengen Agreement. This means that U.S. citizens may enter Spain for up to 90 days for tourism or business without a visa. Your passport should be valid for at least three months beyond the period of stay. You must have sufficient funds and a return airline ticket. Visit the Embassy of Spain website for the most current visa information.

Traveling Through Europe: If you are planning to visit, transit and/or travel through European countries, you should be familiar with the requirements of the Schengen Agreement.
  • Your passport should be valid for at least three months beyond the period of stay.
  • You will need sufficient proof of funds and a return plane ticket.
Links and bold text is theirs.

BTW, in my most humble opinion, the webpage of the US State Department errs a little bit. You don’t need to have a return ticket. You need to have the funds to return to the USA or go elsewhere as long as you leave Schengen / EU when your time is up. And just to avoid continued misinterpretation and misunderstanding: having the financial means does not mean that you have to carry them with you in your backpack.

Last edited:
Another common misunderstanding or misinterpretation seems to imply that one does not have to do something when there is no control. Not so.

When a law says that you must have something, it does not mean that law enforcement will check you to see whether you comply. Whether that’s an external EU air border at Madrid airport or an internal EU land border on the Route Napoleon or on a bridge connecting Portugal and Galicia. You inform yourself and comply. At least that’s what the majority of people who I know does or intends to do.

Last edited:
Absurd is what people read that is not even in the article, for example that they must spend €100 per day. The article does not say that. The article is about a routine announcement by the Spanish government that they routinely make. Both France and Spain calculate their Schengen amounts on the basis of their minimum wages. The Spanish government had recently increased theirs, hence the increase of the Schengen reference amount for travellers to Spain with non-EU passports from previously €96.50 to now €100.
These guidelines really have most in mind those 3rd country Nationals who are seeking to live in Spain for a while, not just ordinary holidaymakers, tourists, or pilgrims, as they are similar to the financial conditions for one seeking to become resident in Spain, but neither working nor studying in the country.

The only time I've travelled into IIRC France under such conditions, and that was decades ago !!, showing you had somewhere to stay (for me, it was our family home) and you had enough money with you to get by for the next few days (travel, hotel, and food costs) was quite sufficient. Of course, that was back in the days before I could speak French like a Frenchman.

Needless to say, the bare minimum needed to cover costs of a Camino will be pretty low (significantly less than what most pilgrims from outside of Europe might intend to spend anyway), and even if you were checked (highly unlikely but not 100% impossible), your return ticket plus health cover, and enough for your daily albergue, menú del peregrino, breakfast, coffees, and other incidentals would almost certainly be acceptable.

A large part of it is that you can demonstrate, if so requested of you, that you have either sufficient capital or sufficient guaranteed income not to become a burden on others. If that is your situation, then there's frankly nothing to worry about !!

€83,-
BTW, in my most humble opinion, the webpage of the US State Department errs a little bit. You don’t need to have a return ticket. You need to have the funds to return to the USA or go elsewhere as long as you leave Schengen / EU when your time is up.
That's actually a variable, so that there can be periods when having a return ticket is a must, and others where showing that you can purchase one when the time comes will be sufficient. Consult requirements at time of travel.

And of course, it's not "Schengen/EU" in this case, but the particular rules for arrivals of the specific Schengen/EU country that you travel to, given that border control is under the sole sovereignty of each Nation State that is a party to the EU and/or the Schengen travel area.

The major difference is that once you have arrived in a Schengen/EU country and passed border control, then you need not in principle pass border control for travel purposes within the Schengen travel area, but only submit to controls for goods transport, sanitary measures, etc.

There are some rare exceptions that can affect pilgrims -- such as the Italy > France border crossing near where I live (and yes, the Camino & Via Romea cross that exact border), as there is both an ongoing terrorist alert and a huge influx of illegal immigration into France, so that you will potentially be subjected to a passport control when crossing that border, even on foot (I have been myself, and that was just a quick shopping trip 50m into Italy).

I travelled to a non-EU country yesterday that has similar rules on entry and stay as the EU / Schengen states have. I travelled as a holiday maker and tourist. I look the part, I guess. My passport is not the passport of a ””third world”” country. Yet I was asked how long I intended to stay, to which town or part of the country I was planning to travel to, and so on. I was in a good mood so I offered some details of the when where how why of my trip voluntarily and I even made a chatty comment about the weather. I was waved away with good wishes for my stay. No ‘proof‘ necessary just providing truthful information that made it credible that I was in compliance with the law on entry and stay (which I don’t even know in detail for the country in question). Same thing for non-EU passport holders travelling to Schengen from the outside.

Last edited:
Look what I found on Wikipedia where they have a table of Schengen reference amounts like the one I posted earlier, although theirs is not as up to date as mine. It has an explanatory note that says: The Netherlands exempts visitors from Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, South Korea, United States and Vatican City from holding proof of sufficient funds and return tickets. Romania also exempts visitors from Australia, Canada, South Korea and the United States from holding proof of sufficient funds and return tickets. Lucky you!!!

How did the Wikipedia editors know this? Their source is the IATA Timatic database, they say!

Maybe Spain has a similar exemption rule and it is just that we on the forum and Schengenvisainfo.com does not know? Lucky us!!! We can continue to explain and/or speculate about the true meaning of the Schengen area reference amounts.

🙃

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
OMG, @Tassie Kaz, we have a larger audience than expected 😅 . I happened to come across a webpage article where I thought, hm, didn't I recently write much the same on the Camino de Santiago forum. And look what it says at the end of the article:
I carry the debit card & ATM card as a last line of defence should something go wrong…and one trip it did!” a traveller under the name Tassie Kaz wrote.

And another forum member gets also a mention, although, as the careful observer remembered immediately, @Eve Alexandra was asked by Delta staff in the USA before boarding and not by border control in Spain, something the writer describes as "during her trip to Spain" 😅:
Whereas another commenter under the name Eve Alexandra said that about a week ago, during her trip to Spain, she was asked for her passport, proof if she had a vaccination card, and while she was asked whether she had €96 a day to cover the number of days of her trip, she was not required to prove it.

Three guesses on which website I read this ... 😶

A number of British citizens were stopped from entering Spain on Wednesday as Spain’s border force appeared to have tightened their controls on people leaving Gibraltar.

Police officers asked all citizens from countries outside the European Union, including those who hold a British passport, to provide evidence of their onward travel as well as accommodation reservations in Spain before permitting them to cross the country’s borders.

Britons were also being required to present proof of funds for the duration of their stay in Spain.

Border guards also refused entry for a large number of people from other countries.

Authorities in Gibraltar have raised concerns that Spanish officials are banning the entry for international citizens unless they present a valid reason for their trip.

Spain’s border force have tightened their controls on people leaving Gibraltar since the beginning of this week, according to local media reports.

Tom Watson, a British national who has been in Gibraltar for four months, was refused entry to Spain until he provided proof of funds for his trip.

He said: "I had to prove I had €100 per day for the duration of my time in Spain."

Another holidaymaker from the UK who crossed the border into Spain also told the Olive Press newspaper that Britons are also being required to present proof of funds for their stay in Spain.

Julie Quartermaine said: “At the border, we had to prove we had €100 per day per person for the duration of our stay. The woman officer was apologetic but said she had to see enough for the ten days we planned to be in Spain either in cash or in a bank account.”

Fabian Picardo, Chief Minister of Gibraltar, said in a statement that the government had been informed that such measures were suddenly being applied.

According to local media reports, the new controls were only applied to people crossing Spain's border on foot rather than in a vehicle.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just a bit of factual background as not everybody may be aware of it: From time to time, there are issues at the border between Spain and Gibraltar. I googled the news to see what else is going on at the moment. I found this in the Gibraltar Chronicle:

3rd April 2022
A senior European Commission official hinted on Sunday that negotiations on a UK/EU treaty for [Gibraltar]’s post-Brexit relations with the EU could extend beyond Easter week.
IOW, the question of this border between the EU and this non-EU territory is not yet settled. I'm not saying that this has anything to do with a change of border control methods at the Spanish-Gibraltar border. But if I were to fly from say the USA or the UK or Australia to Madrid in the next few weeks, it would not be bothered by either of these two developments.

Just a bit of factual background as not everybody may be aware of it: From time to time, there are issues at the border between Spain and Gibraltar. I googled the news to see what else is going on at the moment. I found this in the Gibraltar Chronicle:

3rd April 2022
A senior European Commission official hinted on Sunday that negotiations on a UK/EU treaty for [Gibraltar]’s post-Brexit relations with the EU could extend beyond Easter week.
IOW, the question of this border between the EU and this non-EU territory is not yet settled. I'm not saying that this has anything to do with a change of border control methods at the Spanish-Gibraltar border. But if I were to fly from say the USA or the UK or Australia to Madrid in the next few weeks, it would not be bothered by either of these two developments.
To be more specific, that border has not been settled since 1713 and periodically results in unannounced issues when passing into Spain.

Just a bit of factual background as not everybody may be aware of it: From time to time, there are issues at the border between Spain and Gibraltar.
Which was precisely the point that I made initially about diplomatic relations affecting this question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.