• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Schengen visa and accommodation

Vissie

Just a question regarding applying for a visa - in my case, applying for a schengen visa.

How does one go about showing proof of accommodation since one does not have confirmed bookings for stay in Spain, what with one living in the auberges all the time?

The schengen requires one to show either proof of accommodation, bookings for a cruise/tour etc.

Or can I request this from one of the auberges in first stay over in Spain, at Roncesvalles?

Hope to hear from you soon. I will be in this village round-about 6 April.

Regards
Vissie :?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We had the same problem (my wife is Colombian), we booked a hotel in Madrid for a few days just to show with the application (IBIS or similar), and once she had the Schengen Visa we cancelled the hotel and she got the money back. I don't know about the Visa waiting times at the moment, but we had to wait 6 weeks! On a different occassion we found it easier to get a Schengen Visa from another country.
There are some South Africans on this forum who might be able to give you a better advice, especially on how long it takes to get the Visa.
Good Luck!
Rolf

Hello Vissie, I am not sure what the rules are for South Africans - Sil would be the best one to answer that, but I have a feeling that it is the same as Australians, and we have 90 days within a 6 month period that we can stay in the Schengen States. There is a thread elsewhere on the forum discussing this.

I gave up on the thought of applying for more than 90 days because, as a pilgrim, it is impossible to get receipts for accomodation in advance as we often have no real idea of where we will be. Sil, Omar, and I were all checking into this last year and we all got the same answer from different sources - unless you have receipts for every night (plus return ticket, money, health insurance too) they will not grant it. Both Omar and I have cut our itineraries to 90 days within France and Spain - although I think he is walking a lot further than me and so he will have to go a lot faster! Good luck with your plans and hopefully Sil will post all the relevant info for you. Cheers, Janet

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Vissie, if you are a member of the CSJ of SA you can buy a credencial before you go. A photocopy of the front page, or a letter from the CSJ that you attache to your visa application, and an itinerary is acceptable.
We had the Gauteng camino workshop yesterday in Johannesburg and this was one of the issues that was discussed.

Sil is right.

If you are a member of CSJ, show your credencial to the consul. Mine had a first stamp from my parish church already.

I also showed the confirmation email from the first hotel I'll be staying in (jet lag adjustment), and prepared a day to day itinerary along the camino (which incidentally was never followed to the letter). Although there are few pilgrims from my country that go to Santiago on foot, the officer must have known about how accommodation works along the camino.

I distinctly remember her asking if I had signed up with a tour operator or something, but I replied that I organized everything myself with info from the internet. End of conversation. Got the visa.

The return ticket and bank statements (previous 6 months) also helped to convice them I was coming back home. I think this is always what they are looking for - proof that the visa applicant will come back, or has reason to come back soon.

I am answering my own question regarding getting a schengen visa.

Apparently Spain has become very sticky about giving visa's if you cannot show proof of accommodation for every single sleepover.

But we all know the Camino does not work that way, so to reassure myself, I phone Manuel at the Spanish Embassy in Pretoria before applying. He told me (a bit gruffly) that it is indeed in order to have proof of accommodation for only the first night - I booked and got confirmation almost immediately for my stay at L'Esprit du Chemin via email.

MDS, the company taking my visa to Pretoria, was however not so sure. So, I took my application myself and have been told to pick up my documents next week, without any problems.

Regards Vissie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Good for you Vissie.
Manuel Peralta is a good guy - he is the one who suggested our CSJ peregrinos send a photocopy of their credentials with their visa applications. For those who live far from Pretoria, the more proof you can provide, the better it is.
Have a wonderful pilgrimage!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back